Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Why does the cobra be limited ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I know The svts are suppose to be rare and only have limited production but times have changed. In this competitive market why not produce the quanity that demands it. Gm has no problem crankin out the vette. Ford should consider changing their plans on production.They could put a real dent on vette sales if the cobra was as avalible as the vette is. I can go down to my local chevy dealer and count at least 15 new vettes waiting to be sold.All Ford has to do is add some parts and an engine and presto . You have yourself a shelby svt for sale.
Come on Ford. you could do this if you wanted. TIMES HAVE CHANGED!! Stop thinking in the past!!!
Some one give me a logical reason why Ford has to put a number on svt production.
Old 4/7/05, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
cause they want too?
Old 4/7/05, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mobster@April 7, 2005, 1:38 AM
cause they want too?
Some one has to change their mind!!! :bang:
Old 4/7/05, 01:45 AM
GT Member

I do not have a problem with it being limited based on quality.

I do have a problem with dealers having the ability to immediately raise prices beyond normal means.

This car was built for the working and passionate enthusiast, not to be pushed beyond the range of its own soul.
Old 4/7/05, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I recall reading that although they are being labeled a "limited" product, Ford will build as many as the public demands.
Old 4/7/05, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 68notch@April 7, 2005, 5:52 AM
I recall reading that although they are being labeled a "limited" product, Ford will build as many as the public demands.
that seems to be the common confusion these days..... we've all seen that Autoweek article that states that Ford said they would produce as many as there is a demand for..... yet HTT told Brad personally that there would be between 5000 and 7500.
I understand the whole idea of maintaining value..... but for F sake... when a dealer uses all of their orders to purchase the cars themselves, then say that they will be sold for no less than $25K over MSRP (see "Let the goudging begin" thread) I can't believe Ford would authorize a dealer who has no integrity.... everybody wants to make a buck. I understand economics is all about supply and demand, but c'mon.... make enough to keep up with demand, and let prices work themselves.
Old 4/7/05, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure why people are getting so wigged out about the market adjustment thing--it happens with every interesting auto product in every brand. When the 03 SVT Cobra was released, dealers charged whatever they wanted. However, by the end of the 04 MY, you could get in an 03-04 Cobra for under MSRP.

Are there people out there who will pay $10K or more over MSRP for a Shelby. Yup. Will 7500 of them come along each year they offer the Shelby? Nuh-uh.
Old 4/7/05, 09:26 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
CAFE and MAFE laws.
Old 4/7/05, 10:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MAFE? :scratch:
Old 4/7/05, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Moms
Against
Fabricating
Eleanor
????
Old 4/7/05, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FireDragon@April 7, 2005, 11:55 AM
Moms
Against
Fabricating
Eleanor
????
Old 4/7/05, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

Someone suggested this earlier in another thread (so I apologize for not giving props) but I think it bears mentioning again. What Ford should do is take orders over the internet (or via phone to SVT), arrange financing, build the car to order from the factory and drop ship to the customer's nearest dealership or directly to their home. That way Ford wouldn't over produce the car, dealers wouldn't ask huge markups and the customer could have exactly what they wanted. Talk about mass customization!!
Old 4/7/05, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Although I am in favor of a Buyit.Ford.Com type website, it probably will never happen again.

Again...?

Yeah. Ford did try just that a few years ago, but the dealers made them shut it down. Michigan dealers can't sell to Texas, for example, so Ford was overreaching. Plus, since Ford got to sell at the same MSRP as a dealer, what point was the dealership for? It was unfair business practice from their own, licensed supplier!

Courts agreed, and the buy it from Ford website was stopped.

I may be rusty on the exact details, but it DID happen.

It'd be like a supplier getting into the same business for the same money you sell the same product you buy from them. Now, you wouldn't like that, would you? They'd be shutting you down and making more money in the process. Nice for them.

Now, if the supplier made the sale, and shipped it to your company for pickup, and paid you the same money you'd have made if you sold it, then that'd be ok. And if Ford and the dealers did that, well, that'd be fine, wouldn't it? Yep.

Yeah. Never happen, dealerships would go NUTS, and revolt. Somehow. They must make their market adjustment, after all...
Old 4/8/05, 12:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Keep in mind that Mustangs and SE editions do not account for even 15% of Ford's revenue. Mustang GTs and SE editions are mainly there to draw a crowd to the showroom. This crowd generates buyers that will ultimately purchase a more practical vehicle like a Focus, 500, F150, or Expedition. Yes there are enthusiats out there like ourselves, but don't kid yourself - Ford makes most its revenue from the other more practical vehicles in its lineup.
Old 4/8/05, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@April 8, 2005, 12:02 AM
Keep in mind that Mustangs and SE editions do not account for even 15% of Ford's revenue. Mustang GTs and SE editions are mainly there to draw a crowd to the showroom. This crowd generates buyers that will ultimately purchase a more practical vehicle like a Focus, 500, F150, or Expedition. Yes there are enthusiats out there like ourselves, but don't kid yourself - Ford makes most its revenue from the other more practical vehicles in its lineup.
If we all go into the dealerships and beg to get on a list ,the dealers in turn will beg for more allocation. So, please go in and fan your wallets all you want. Get on 10 lists !!! Ford and the dealers will not want to leave all that percieved money on the table. They always will get that fool in the beginning who spends too much and production will be made to accomodate the rest of us.How cool it would be to walk in to a dealer in August 2007 and get what you want at X plan or a few hundred over invoice. For us...the more lists the better.
Old 4/8/05, 10:42 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
It's nice to see a ray of optimism every once in a while around here.

You can try but don't hold your breath. The dealers are not about to do us any favors. The proof is how quickly they have come to the $25K AMV consensus.
Old 4/8/05, 02:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish the auto industry would stop using the term "limited." If something isn't limited then logically it's unlimited. Heck, the Toyota Camry is limited in production, limited to how many they can make.
Old 4/8/05, 02:18 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
MAFE is Model Average Fuel Economy. If they produce too many GT500s, the entire Mustang line's fuel economy will drop.

This is one of the reasons Ford produces so many V6s compared to GTs, even when demand for the GT is higher. The V6 helps keep Mustang's MAFE and Ford's CAFE low.

The other reason they won't make more GTs is that the plant that makes the Mustang GT's engine also makes the F-150's 4.6. Ford's profit margin is higher of the F-150, so they won't sacrifice F-150 sales for Mustang sales.
Old 4/8/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@April 8, 2005, 9:45 AM
It's nice to see a ray of optimism every once in a while around here.

You can try but don't hold your breath. The dealers are not about to do us any favors. The proof is how quickly they have come to the $25K AMV consensus.
Is there any proof there is a $25K AMV consensus??? .
Thought that was just one shmuck in Md....
AMV generally goes away when you come in after the first couple of months with copies of their invoice cost.Caveat emptor(let the buyer beware).