Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Who is going to buy the Shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/05, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am getting one
Old 6/19/05, 12:33 AM
Cobra R Member

ME!
Old 6/19/05, 03:42 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna try to hold out for something in between the GT and the GT500.

I intially thought I would get a GT500 but if they are selling GTs, and in some cases V6s, for over MSRP, can you imagine what it will be like for the GT500?
Old 6/19/05, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I plan on getting one in 06. Been waiting a long time for this car. Thanks to Brad for making a site that we can get our fix from time to time.
Old 6/19/05, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

I love how people say they'll wait 5 - 6 months for the hoopla to die down. It's a few months shy of a year for the 05 Mustang GT's, and it's harder to get one of those now then it was 9 months ago. Shelby GT 500 is going to very difficult to get for a year or two IMO.
Old 6/20/05, 04:57 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I was thinking of getting a GT500 -- but it may not be the car for me. It'll be a beast in the 1/4 -- but I suspect it just isn't refined enough to be a well balanced daily driver. (Do the math on the tank of gas range). I'll try to test drive one, and see if it can change my mind -- if I can wait that long. But I the lack of features, refinement, availability, IRS, creature comforts, and so on, are adding up against it (for what I want).
Old 6/20/05, 05:14 AM
GT Member

I plan on getting one. I am wanting to order on in 2006 for delivery by my 29th birthday in March of 2007.

This will be my first mustang. I had wanted to order an 05 GT but when I saw the GT500. I said I will have that car.

I may have to drive outside Atlanta to buy one, but any drive will be worth it.
Old 6/20/05, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I plan to get one. I'll be driving about 10-12 hours each way to get it but I can't wait. Assuming ford doesn't keep taking away to many things between now and then. They claimed the concept was 95 percent on, but lately, from what I'm hearing, it seems more than 5 percent is changing. I was this car's biggest fan in the beginning and it is going to be the biggest sacrifice I've ever made to spend 40k on a car, but I planned on doing it, so much that I even made a deposit. However, my deposit is refundable and there is only so much they can take away before I'm no longer willing to make the sacrifice to purchase this car. I still love the car, but I feel the future of modern muscle cars hinges on the success of this car; therefore, ford needs to deliver as promised.
Old 6/20/05, 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Route 66@June 19, 2005, 11:12 PM
I love how people say they'll wait 5 - 6 months for the hoopla to die down. It's a few months shy of a year for the 05 Mustang GT's, and it's harder to get one of those now then it was 9 months ago. Shelby GT 500 is going to very difficult to get for a year or two IMO.
I don't think the Shelby is on the same scale as the GT. The Shelby will be 6 or 7k a year and the GT nearly 60-70k. The demand for these cars is created by its looks and affordability. The Shelby, while an awesome car, will not have 70k people that can afford to spend $40k on a car. There will be a huge shortage initially, but, Ford can overcome a 4 or 5k shortage a lot easier than it can a 40 or 50k car shortage.

I think a year tops before the Shelby is more readily available. Once the collector wanna be's get theirs, us Joe Schmos that won't pay over sticker will have a chance (I'm actually getting one of the early ones at sticker) .
Old 6/20/05, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dke@June 20, 2005, 4:00 AM
I was thinking of getting a GT500 -- but it may not be the car for me. It'll be a beast in the 1/4 -- but I suspect it just isn't refined enough to be a well balanced daily driver. (Do the math on the tank of gas range). I'll try to test drive one, and see if it can change my mind -- if I can wait that long. But I the lack of features, refinement, availability, IRS, creature comforts, and so on, are adding up against it (for what I want).
:scratch: On this forum and several others ,you see all these types of comments.
We are getting a Mustang the likes we haven't seen since the 60's ,but way better technologically and people make disparaging remarks. More horsepower than ever and Shelby himself was involved....would ANYTHING make you happy? You haven't even seen one in reality and you complain.Talk about a bunch of spoiled ingrates!
Old 6/20/05, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm #7 on a waiting list with an SVT client of mine. He's not even sure he will get 7 cars for the 07'.
Old 6/20/05, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Crazyhorse, I hope your'e right.
Old 6/21/05, 09:27 PM

I will if the price is decent and am not charged over MSRP.
Old 6/22/05, 04:34 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Hayburner, I won't disparage your choices and opinions, but it would reflect better on you if you tried to understand where others were coming from before attacking them/their posts.

My current car has heated leather seats, a power sunroof, seats 5 reasonably well, has a near 50/50 weight distro, gets 300+ miles on a tank of gas, get 22/29 mpg, reasonable cargo capacity/functionality, is quiet, has IRS and a pretty comfortable ride and still performs very nicely. I'd like DSG/SMG or some sort of high functioning auto in my next car. And there are many other cars like it that I can buy today, or long before the Cobra comes out.

The Cobra doesn't appear it will have heated leather seats, no sunroof or targa option (I don't like verts unless they're hard tops), the back seat is smaller and harder to get into, has a worse weight distro, gets under 200 miles on a tank (city), numbers like 14/19?= far far worse milage, has less functionality/cargo, will probably be louder, doesn't have IRS and I'll see about the daily driver ride (I assume it will be great for the track), will probably not have an auto, but will outperform most cars in the 1/4 and a great track car. It will cost more than I want to spend (and more than my current car cost me), and may not be available for another couple years (the first year will be impacted quantity).

So what part of that don't you understand? I never said it was a bad car. But Ford said they were making a car that could take on the Germans. If they mean 1/4 mile at a time or on the track, they'll kick them in the Strudel. If you're talking about commuting to work regularly, or actually using the car for more than a ***** extension, then I remain unconvinced, and am not sure I'm going to wait the couple years more. It's a fantastic car, than many will enjoy, but certainly not for everyone. I'd buy the original mustang concept car tomorrow if they'd stuck closer to it -- and be happy with that. (Hatch, glass roof that would have become a targa/sunroof, hopefully added some amenities, etc). But they took the car a different direction -- which is fine for Ford, but they took it away from me.
Old 6/22/05, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

I have told my dealer that I must have the Shelby Cobra, and I will most likely get the first one in Sweden (only one?) I will use it only on wekends and mabe I'll keep the GT for everyday use? (fine wether)

Cant wait, but then I waited 12 month for the GT, I can wait 12 for the Shelby Cobra?

Just hope I have not tuned the GT over the Shelby HP?
Old 6/22/05, 08:34 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Lennart -- that would be an awesome car to have in Sweden. One of very few. Too cool.
Old 6/22/05, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dke@June 22, 2005, 3:37 AM
Hayburner, I won't disparage your choices and opinions, but it would reflect better on you if you tried to understand where others were coming from before attacking them/their posts.

My current car has heated leather seats, a power sunroof, seats 5 reasonably well, has a near 50/50 weight distro, gets 300+ miles on a tank of gas, get 22/29 mpg, reasonable cargo capacity/functionality, is quiet, has IRS and a pretty comfortable ride and still performs very nicely. I'd like DSG/SMG or some sort of high functioning auto in my next car. And there are many other cars like it that I can buy today, or long before the Cobra comes out.

The Cobra doesn't appear it will have heated leather seats, no sunroof or targa option (I don't like verts unless they're hard tops), the back seat is smaller and harder to get into, has a worse weight distro, gets under 200 miles on a tank (city), numbers like 14/19?= far far worse milage, has less functionality/cargo, will probably be louder, doesn't have IRS and I'll see about the daily driver ride (I assume it will be great for the track), will probably not have an auto, but will outperform most cars in the 1/4 and a great track car. It will cost more than I want to spend (and more than my current car cost me), and may not be available for another couple years (the first year will be impacted quantity).

So what part of that don't you understand? I never said it was a bad car. But Ford said they were making a car that could take on the Germans. If they mean 1/4 mile at a time or on the track, they'll kick them in the Strudel. If you're talking about commuting to work regularly, or actually using the car for more than a ***** extension, then I remain unconvinced, and am not sure I'm going to wait the couple years more. It's a fantastic car, than many will enjoy, but certainly not for everyone. I'd buy the original mustang concept car tomorrow if they'd stuck closer to it -- and be happy with that. (Hatch, glass roof that would have become a targa/sunroof, hopefully added some amenities, etc). But they took the car a different direction -- which is fine for Ford, but they took it away from me.
What part don't I understand????
The part about how these people are complaining about something we haven't had for 35 years...a very cool Mustang with a lot of power.I have a tough time understanding complaints that are unjustified and offered for the sake of complaining.

It is NOT your bimmer.Never was supposed to be.They have taken on the Germans at the track and done pretty well, thanks. Maybe the Mustang isn't for you...you seem to understand that.You can't put all your bells and Bavarian whistles in a $40k Mustang.

I completely "understand" where most of these people and you are coming from.
You need to understand that this car will not be an M-3.

I have no problem whatsoever disparaging pointless grousing.Do I care how"that reflects on me"? Nope, not one bit.
Old 6/23/05, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!....AND I'M YELLING BECAUSE I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!! (sorry)
Old 6/23/05, 01:58 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

Hayburner, the difference is you're comparing it to a 1960's Mustang (35 years ago), and I'm comparing it to today's competition.

You seem to see comparisons to other cars available today as complaining, at least if they're in any dimension other than the ones you care about. And your memory is failing as well, since Ford said they were going to go after the Germans with the Mustang (just a couple years ago), and the context was refinement. I don't really want an M3, I'd like a nice American Car Company to be competitive or superior to it in more than one dimension. And for the record; the entry level for those bells and whistles is between $10K and 20K less than a Cobra, for the Japanese, Germans, Brits, et al...
Old 6/23/05, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dke@June 23, 2005, 1:01 PM
Hayburner, the difference is you're comparing it to a 1960's Mustang (35 years ago), and I'm comparing it to today's competition.

You seem to see comparisons to other cars available today as complaining, at least if they're in any dimension other than the ones you care about. And your memory is failing as well, since Ford said they were going to go after the Germans with the Mustang (just a couple years ago), and the context was refinement. I don't really want an M3, I'd like a nice American Car Company to be competitive or superior to it in more than one dimension. And for the record; the entry level for those bells and whistles is between $10K and 20K less than a Cobra, for the Japanese, Germans, Brits, et al...
:nono: DKE...you're just looking for a fight.This isn't about comparisons.People can do that all day long and I couldn't care less.I don't think you would be the authority on what "I seem to see". When the car comes out and we can get our mitts on it, we can judge it then. I would be surprised if you bought one,but hey,who knows.

If you need some cush for your tush with heated seats...maybe you would like the Caddy CTS-V. As far as your Japanese,Germans,Brit cars..show me one with a blown V-8 at $40k. If the GT500 has a little less velvet and a little more hammer, I'm fine with that. P.S...my memory is fine.

You can have the last word, if you wish....knock yourself out.

Quick Reply: Who is going to buy the Shelby?