Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Some SE news

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/04, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by KapitanGT@September 4, 2004, 6:29 PM
Ok, here it is:

2006: California Special
2007: Bullitt

They are still discussing whether to do a Mach 1 and/or Boss and if they do what they want it to look like. Just letting you guys know the latest info I have gotten.
The Bullitt returns in 2007; that seems to make sense with what I've heard about the Dodge Charger returning the same year....that sets the stage for the remake of "Bullitt" starring Brad Pitt as Frank Bullitt
Old 9/4/04, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@September 4, 2004, 7:55 PM
Ford did this before in the late 60's or early 70's. They offered a special California Edition, or something like that, which as I recall had nothing more than stripes and a couple of other features.
If I remember correctly, Ford never offered a California Special, that was a dealer installed sticker/appearance package. Someone who was alive back then can comment on whether or not this is correct
Old 9/4/04, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

i think ford did it in the 80s
Old 9/4/04, 10:11 PM
GT Member

make the BULLITT, make the BULLITT...I think I'll just timewarp ahead to 2007 then, see ya there
Old 9/4/04, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

I think the Cally dealers got together to create a California special...and there was also a Colorado Special...just replaced Cal w/ Col

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Oh, and I think I should star as Bullitt
Old 9/4/04, 10:53 PM
V6 Member

California Specials and High Country Specials were straight from the factory. Remember, this is back in the day when there were factories all over the country, all Mustangs weren't coming out of one plant like they do today. Both models were made a few miles from where I live here in San Jose, CA The local plant stopped making Mustangs in 1968 and I believe that was the last year of the California Special & High Country Specials
Old 9/4/04, 11:38 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Humm.....well, no MAJOR power increases for a while other than the Cobra it seems. To bad about the bullitt being 2 years away, that would be nice to own but there's no way I'm waiting that long.

Either way, looks like it'll be a while till we see a Mach 1, Boss or Shelby.
Old 9/4/04, 11:57 PM
Cobra Member

I'm guessing the "California Special" would be a V6 Mustang with zero emissions and zero modifiability.

But, if Gov. Schwarzenegger had any say, it would be riding a foot off the ground and have off-road capability. "It's not a Humma!"
Old 9/5/04, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@September 4, 2004, 7:55 PM
Ford did this before in the late 60's or early 70's. They offered a special California Edition, or something like that, which as I recall had nothing more than stripes and a couple of other features.

Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Is it that hard to search using Google or Yahoo or your other search engines?

Go to Google and type in "mustang california special" and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/

It was in 1968, not some vague period.

It was more than tape stripes, but definitely NOT a performance package.

It was, at it's very essenence, more of a Special Edition than many other offerings.

Personally, I never liked them. They had fiberglass body extensions and Thunderbird tail lamps. You could NOT put them together from off-the-shelf Mustang parts with stripes etc.

The reason they are so easy to disdain is that they carried no performance benefit. They were simply different looking Mustangs. They built them only in Northern California. That's it.

But they aren't a tape-stripe special.
Old 9/5/04, 01:07 AM
Cobra Member

Oh, SNAP!

You just got GOOGLE-SLAPPED!

Old 9/5/04, 03:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bullitt, Shelby...Bullitt, Shelby...Bullitt, Shelby...Bullitt, Shelby...Bullitt, Shelby?

Mach 1...?

I hate these kinds of decisions! :bang:
Old 9/5/04, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Some car companies still make California editions, by what I seen advertised on TV. Dodge has some CA models might be dealer installed but I have seen them advertised.
Old 9/5/04, 09:00 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by M1Rifle+September 4, 2004, 11:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M1Rifle @ September 4, 2004, 11:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-scottie1113@September 4, 2004, 7:55 PM

Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Is it that hard to search using Google or Yahoo or your other search engines?

Go to Google and type in "mustang california special" and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button. [/b][/quote]
why go through all of that trouble if youre already in a mustang site
brad has a bunch of info on mostly any stang, even the california special.

the C/S had the shelby grill, fog lamps, and the sequential tail signal.

it would be cool IMO to see a C/S be release and have the same parts replaced with the concept a la the '68
Old 9/5/04, 09:09 AM
GT Member

I know Ford, Chevy and *cough* Dodge all have special Texas edition packages...pretty much just interior stuff and looks, nothing performance wise.
Old 9/5/04, 09:23 AM
GT Member

There is nothing special about a "special edition" if it has a stock motivater. Give me someting under the hood I can smile about, or you can keep it.
Old 9/5/04, 09:42 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree...

unless it is an oddball color that I really want or something to that effect, unless the special edition has some kind of handling/performance upgrade I won't jump on it.
Old 9/5/04, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by KapitanGT@September 4, 2004, 7:44 PM
Got it from numerous people on the Mustang team in Ford Corporate. It's reliable. Plus the 2006 colors Brad has are from me (which I got from the same people). So to believe one is to believe the other.
I don't believe either, so I guess I'm in the clear
Old 9/5/04, 11:02 AM

The California Special would be a nice car to look at, but it's got to have some kind of performance enhancements to go along with it's looks. The more attention your car gets, the more likely people are gonna try to smoke you in their rides. Imagine that. "Hey, nice ride." -as they burn you off the line. Why would Ford want to do that to their Mustang faithfuls?

The High Country Special should be presented as a cold weather package with badging and also some kind of perfomance enhancements IMO. Heated seats, heated mirrors, fog lamps, a better diff., badging. Hey, that's not such a bad car.

And we gotta wait that long for a Bullitt!?
Old 9/5/04, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by charles@September 4, 2004, 5:34 PM
i don't know about a california special it wouldnt sell so good here in newyork
Given that CA will probably be one of the largest markets for the Mustang, I'd say NY will have to get over its inferiority complex.

Agree with the posters who say they'd prefer something with more than just a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 9/5/04, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Remember that some time ago, J. Mays made it clear that there would be a number of special editions, and that they would be rolled out with RELATIVE haste.

As to the Bullitt, unless it offers more than DHG color, Bullitt wheels and assorted other "Bullitt" hallmarks, it'll be a bit of a letdown.

I mean, a 5 horsepower gain isn't even worth the effort if your precious Bullitt is getting dusted by Audis, Bimmers and WRXs! Now, make it 350 bhp plus the aesthetic and suspension upgrades, then you've got something.

What I'm wondering is this: Since the SN-97 looks much more like the original GT-390, will Ford go closer to that original look than they did with the 2001 Bullitt? Can they add louvers, for example, as I believe it creates a visibility - and thus, safety - issue? And what about the seats? They've spent a lot of time on these new seats - will they come up with a more retro vertically stitched version, like in 2001?

Of course, I'm forgetting about the automatic 50 horsepower gain one gets simply by having the name Bullitt on the car! :worship:

Quick Reply: Some SE news