Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby Update

Old 8/4/05, 01:13 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ((ShocK))@August 4, 2005, 1:31 AM
On a car like this I don't want aftermarket ANYTHING. I would personally want to keep it as it comes out of the box, and would hate to even think about shelling out extra money for better parts that are not factory Shelby.

I would do the same if I had the moneys, It's an '07 Shelby for goodness sakes!
Old 8/4/05, 05:39 PM
GT Member

I think i could live with that hood, if they carried the stripes over the bumps really. It looks so darn horrible, like they tacked those bumps on over the stripes!
Old 8/4/05, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ArkAngelx3@August 4, 2005, 6:42 PM
I think i could live with that hood, if they carried the stripes over the bumps really. It looks so darn horrible, like they tacked those bumps on over the stripes!
I'd really like to see it in person.
Old 8/4/05, 09:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I have to agree Kevin. Sometimes seeing things in 3D makes a big difference. Those going to Bristol let us know!
Old 8/5/05, 09:19 AM

this may be a little off track but ill share with you guys anyways. i buddy of mine who owns a dealership says that ford will be funny with these shelbys. ford is telling the public that it will not be a tough car to get your hands on, waiting time and money wise. he says they are full of sh-t... he thinks it will be along the same lines as a saleen extreme 500 hp. he said the same thing that is going on with the gt40 and the saleen will happen to the shelbys. they will be over sticker and by a lot. 500 hp will not be as easy to obtain as ford makes it out to be. it makes sense to me, anything with shelby on it, im sure there will be somthing fishy going on, not like you pull up to a dealer and see 5 on the lot. we will see im sure.
Old 8/5/05, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Can't one of our master photoshoppers complete those stripes over the vents, so we can see what it would look like. I still think those incomplete stripes are whats making it hideous!
Old 8/5/05, 02:10 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Update from the Inside
The final GT500 will wear tape stripes because they look great, have a long life, and are much cheaper than paint. (The show car's stripes were painted.)

The hood on this yellow car is the production hood. It creates low pressure in all the right places and extracts heat well.

The stripes on this yellow car are NOT production. They were cut for a different hood design--not this one. The tape stripes will more closely follow the lines of the scoops.

The decklid will not have the "SHELBY" lettering like the show car did because a lot of people (including myself) thought it was too goudy and because the letters, if stuck on a permeable tape stripe, would fall off. They could cut the tape stripe around the letters, but that is expensive and could look terrible if any of the letters were slightly off level. They are considering placing smaller "SHELBY" letters off to one side of the decklid.

Carroll himself is pushing hard for the red seat inserts, but the red stitching probably won't make production.

The Dark IUP on the show car is very similar to what will be offered on late 2006 Mustang GTs. The color will be the same, the pattern may not be. It will utilize the satin A/C vent rings like the show car did. (The standard IUP has chrome rings.)

No decision has been made regarding at which auto show the GT500 production car will be unveiled. Ford VPs want to continue to strengthen the Mustang's images as "Detroit's car", but the folks at SVT have always been fond of the Chicago show.
Old 8/5/05, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Once again, thanks Brad and thank your inside source. All this wait time is giving us too much time to nitpick.

On that note, it is a real disappointment to see the stitching go away. It is a little thing, but, I thought it added a lot of class. I at least hope they keep the rest of the leather appointments as in the show car.
Old 8/5/05, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Agreed Kevin, and thanks Brad for the update.

I hope they keep the leather on the dash to keep it looking a little more upscale, I can live with the hood ... once the stripes are done correct on it.
Old 8/5/05, 03:54 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Thanks Brad!

That some big news
Old 8/5/05, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@August 5, 2005, 12:13 PM
Update from the Inside
The final GT500 will wear tape stripes because they look great, have a long life, and are much cheaper than paint. (The show car's stripes were painted.)

The hood on this yellow car is the production hood. It creates low pressure in all the right places and extracts heat well.

The stripes on this yellow car are NOT production. They were cut for a different hood design--not this one. The tape stripes will more closely follow the lines of the scoops.

The decklid will not have the "SHELBY" lettering like the show car did because a lot of people (including myself) thought it was too goudy and because the letters, if stuck on a permeable tape stripe, would fall off. They could cut the tape stripe around the letters, but that is expensive and could look terrible if any of the letters were slightly off level. They are considering placing smaller "SHELBY" letters off to one side of the decklid.

Carroll himself is pushing hard for the red seat inserts, but the red stitching probably won't make production.

The Dark IUP on the show car is very similar to what will be offered on late 2006 Mustang GTs. The color will be the same, the pattern may not be. It will utilize the satin A/C vent rings like the show car did. (The standard IUP has chrome rings.)

No decision has been made regarding at which auto show the GT500 production car will be unveiled. Ford VPs want to continue to strengthen the Mustang's images as "Detroit's car", but the folks at SVT have always been fond of the Chicago show.
K, well I might be on my own with this but, isn't this supposed to be like a retro 68 GT500? I think they should keep the shelby lettering on the back, just make it smaller, putting it off to the side would make it look like a cheap rip off. I would just get rid of the 3rd brake light, who the heck needs that???

The hood, I can live with, If I get one it will be black, so you probably won't notice it that much. Same with the vinyl stripes, not really a big deal for me..

However, you mentioned that CS was pushing for the red inserts...does that mean no matter which color combo you order you'll get the red inserts? I want a black one with black interior but I don't want friggen red inserts!!!

Another thing, are they still planning on using the 450hp + motor? Are they still going to be using the 14" brakes in the front too? Or will these items soon be axed???

I'm with a lot of people in that it seems like they are really cutting a lot of the parts that could make this car really stand out from a regular 03/04 cobra.

Anyways, that's my little rant for the day
Old 8/5/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

So are they going to lower the 3rd brake light off the spoiler into the trunk were it used to say SHELBY, just like the yellow one?
Old 8/5/05, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I would just get rid of the 3rd brake light, who the heck needs that???
The Government says it has to be there. Plus, if it can help keep someone from rear ending me, I need it. They need to just put it back in the spoiler. I understand the point your trying to make and agree with the rest of your rant. Give me Shelby letters in the center!
Old 8/5/05, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm with you Tom on the inserts for the seats ... I plan on getting a black one as well but I do not want red, would rather have a dark gray or dark blue as an option for my black car. The GTO, ugly as it is, lets you choose from set dual interior colors for each exterior color.

And I am for them keeping the Shelby letters on the back somehow ... but I can live with it off to the side if I have to in the end.

Old 8/5/05, 09:10 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Shelby off to the side of the deck sounds like a good thing to me
Old 8/5/05, 09:57 PM
GT Member

I'm opting for the convertible, if produced, so I'll be ordering the vehicle without the vertical stripes, but would like the GT500 stripes on the doors. So, I don't care about the hood, as long as what's underneath is a fire breathing monster..
Old 8/5/05, 10:59 PM
V6 Member

I want to know if the dash is going to be leather covered or just plastic. I don't like how much hard plastic is in the mustang. That has always bothered me and I think it looks cheap.
Old 8/6/05, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

What I can't believe they are doing and nobody has mentioned it yet is the seats, forget about color and stripes for a minute, the seats are exactly the same as the seats in the freakin V6!! heck my Focus ZX3 has bigger side bolsters, this is supposed to be the top dog Mustang, and people are going to be ending up in the passenger seat in hard left turns. I've looked at the seats in dozens of other performance cars, most not nearly as sporty as Shelby, yet they all have nice seats that look like something straight out of a race car. Take a look at the seats in the SRT version of the 300, and that's a 4 door family car for Christs sake, or look at the bad hiney seats in the Aussie Falcon.. This car, like everything else Ford puts out, just screams compromise to me. :bang:
Old 8/6/05, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't remember typing the word "hiney", but oh well...
Old 8/6/05, 07:04 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Black331@August 6, 2005, 6:01 AM
I don't remember typing the word "hiney", but oh well...
You got caught by Brad's naughty word editor. :angry:

Now go wash your keyboard out with soap.

Thanks for the additinal info, Brad, but you do need to lighten up on your speech editor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby Update