Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

shelby gt500 vs. saleen 281 extreme

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 11:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer out by me has sold 2 ford GT's for "well over 200k" (as the salesman worded it). And thats been since january.
but i agree, cars = super bad SHORT term investments. Sometimes in the long run you get lucky.
Old 8/15/05, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Boy, I don't care how much money a person has. Thats gotta sting
Old 8/17/05, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

HEY EVERYONE!!!! the saleen has 400hp, NOT 500! Those cobras are sick....
Old 8/17/05, 07:22 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@August 12, 2005, 7:59 PM
I mostly agree with this. Plus factor in that gas will probably be up to $70 a barrel by the time the Shelby comes out (and it'll go, what, 250 miles before needing a fill up?) and the only people who will be buying Shelbys are people with a LOT of disposable income. At $40K plus ridiculous dealer markups, most intelligent people will be looking in another segment altogether, like the aforementioned M3s and C6s.

So in other words, it'll only be collectors buying these, many of whom are pretty savvy about getting deals, and will themselves probably wait till the hype dies down. There's always a percentage of people with more money than sense who are willing to pay whatever it takes and have to have it right now. But I don't believe they account for the majority of Shelby buyers, most of whom will probably have to finanace the thing.

The only people claiming that this car is "already sold out"...and "only available in limited numbers"...and "gonna go for $25K over sticker" are people attached to Ford.

The reality is that Ford (and GM) are hurting financially. They can't afford to turn away potential sales by over-limiting this vehicle's accessibility.

I think a lot of what we're hearing is the PR machine cranking to whip us all into a feeding frenzy. I mean, a dealer here in town told me that they had already presold 12 Shelbys and that they were going to be getting twelve - and yet, they couldn't POSSIBLY know what their allotment is yet. So there's lots of cheeky behavior and out-and-out lying coming from Ford people with respect to this car.
shelby uses the premium high test stuff too
Old 8/17/05, 02:18 PM
Cobra R Member

HEY EVERYONE!!!! the saleen has 400hp, NOT 500! Those cobras are sick....
The SC281 is 400hp
the SC281e is 500hp
Old 8/17/05, 02:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Just remember, the first ones are almost assured a premium. The first Ford GT was sold for over $570,000 at auction. Thats a 430k markup lol.
Old 8/17/05, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

posting a bit late, but regarding the z06's, there were a few recent auctions on ebay that ended up at $35,000!!!!! that was for the price you are willing to pay OVER MSRP!!! For $100,000, i think i might buy me an aston martin...or maybe a mustang GT on x-plan, and invest the $75k. it'll be interesting to see what the GT500's run for when they come out.
Old 8/18/05, 12:56 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

HELLO GUYS!!!!!!
Just want to say a few things...
Why dont u guys come to sunny mexico and say hi!!! lol...
Now, lets say i just kinda won a big sum of money... when im talking big i mean millions ok?... so anyway... im kinda thinking about gt500 and a aleen extreme... but i have some ideas that are not clear to me yet, maybe u guys can help:
Shelby gt500 = 475 more or less hp...
Saleen extreme = 640 or 500???? hp...
Cause i saw some pics of a white and blue saleen that said 640 hp... so thats what i dont get it, is it just a extreme, saleen hast decided the hp output yet? is it a extreme stage 2 saleen or what the heck??...
Now its true a shelby is a shelby... its the name, a lot in car history... everyone has dreamed with an old shelby, and with a new one also... but lets remember that saleen makes the FORD GT, and its working preaty close to ford... the gt 500 its using some ford gt parts, that saleen made!... now the shelby is a 6 speed... its 5.4 engine... the saleen its just an extreme 2005 mustang gt... the body organics and stuff are way diferent, but both saleen and shelby looks cool...
what if you put in a drag strip, 1/4 mile, a saleen vs a shelby, who will win?
What car would "hurt" less to use as a kinda daily driver, a saleen or a shelby... think this as i live in mexico and kidnaps, roberry and stuff is prety high compared to the usa... for me the price will go up no mather what shelby or saleen i buy, cause the do not exist in here, they wold have to be a very special order... anyway try to help me a lilbit guys, AND THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
Old 8/18/05, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off... Which drug cartel did you knock off for that amount of money?

2nd, there are no performance numbers out for the Shelby yet as the car isn't even in production yet. If you want a car now, get the 281E.

My personal preference is to put the guts of the SC281E under the skin of the Mustang GT. B)
Old 8/18/05, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

ARF -

A couple of things...
1) The power between the two will probably both be around 500hp. The GT500 will have a lot more torque (being a 5.4), but will also be much heavier (being an iron block).
2) Saleen assembles the Ford GT in their plant correct -- but it was designed by Ford. And, there is a bunch of quality issues and recalls on the $150k+ car, so I don't think that is a feather in Saleen's cap right now.
3) The GT500 will probably "hurt less" because it will meet Ford's standards for soft ride, etc. Saleen is much more performance oriented (in the suspension), so it will (most likely) be lower and stiffer.
4) Too difficult to call a 1/4 mi. winner since niether car is out, but I would put my money on the GT500 if for no other reason than the smaller wheels.

In my book, an estimated $60k+ is way too much for a new Mustang -- Saleen s281E or not. So it would be the $40k GT500 for me (assuming no markup), or something else (Vette, M3, GTR, Cayman, etc...).
Old 8/18/05, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really have that much money, get both.
Old 8/18/05, 10:33 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Hello Guys!!!! thanks for the coments...

Enfynet: whis i could knock off some drug cartel, but then u guys wouldnt have anything up there, LOL!!!
if i put the guts under a gt... vin number, and everything will remain a GT, so resale value wont be higher...

Rampant: Thnaks for your reply... about the money, i need to tell you guys that down here in sunny mexico we only have GT´s... 9 of 10 automatics, 1 of 10 manuals, anyway... the price is betwen 294,000 pesos and 325,000 pesos, wich means more or less (1 usd = 10.50 pesos) starting at 28,000 usd and 30,950 usd... so u can see how things change down here... anyway if the wheels are the thing, lets say we put the same standar wheel on both, wich one would you prefer, and wich one do you guys thinks will have a higher resale value... i know 60´s shelby are THE THING, but nowdays is it a 2007 SO HOT??? or will it be a 2007 saleen extreme more VIP?????? anyway thanks!!!

CrazyHorse: 23 years old, ok i get both, but what for? i need to buy a nice house, think of my future, marry my girl, start a family (not to soon, but anyway), buy her a nice car, etc etc... and a lot of stuff to still come, so i dont want to get my money out now, u know what i mean??...

TO ALL OF YOU (as wee say in mexico) "MUSTANGUEROS!!"... u still havent said anithing about the saleen is it 500 or 640 hp??? ive seen the pics of the 640 hp white and blue car!!!... or anything else about the shelby... which one for a daily driver?... and all that buncho of "crap" i wrote up there!! LOL!!!

Anyway take good care of your ponys and hope to hear from you guys soon!!! eace:
Old 8/20/05, 03:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Saleen, est 500hp/ 480lb/ft. Saleen.com has the specs.

GT500, info not available yet. Rumor is about 475/500, but, that will likely be somewhat conservative.

The answer to your question is - it is a matter of personal preference. Get the one you like. both will be somewhat exotic, esp in Mexico.

My guess is the Saleen will handle a little better and ride a little harsher. The Saleen engine is likely about as tweaked as it can be without more major internal mods. The GT500 will probably have plenty of room for bolt on power.

IF you still can't decide, wait until they are released and go drive them both.
Old 8/20/05, 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 11, 2005, 7:07 PM
why does everyone assume there is going to be markup on hot cars? The first couple of months will see markups on Z06, M3, GT500 etc. But, then all the idiots will be weeded out and the price will return to normal. Just wait a few more months and the car will be negotiated below sticker. We aren't talking about Ford GTs or Ferrari Enzo here. They are not worth over sticker. Only the guys who have to have the first ones will pay that.
I do not believe this is whats going to happen. The are is such limited quaintly the price will stay up there for several years. Case in point. In my area there are not too many GTs so I can sell mine for what I paid for in. In six months it might be another story. If I were to be spending big bucks I would purchase something other than a Ford.
Old 8/20/05, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Mongoose@August 20, 2005, 9:04 PM
I do not believe this is whats going to happen. The are is such limited quaintly the price will stay up there for several years. Case in point. In my area there are not too many GTs so I can sell mine for what I paid for in. In six months it might be another story. If I were to be spending big bucks I would purchase something other than a Ford.
I could be very wrong, but, I doubt it. The demand will not be nearly as high for these as the Mustang GTs. Not as many people want a 500 hp car or want to spend 40k on it. The terminators went through the same exact thing. Everyone thought they were going to be limited, they charged 5k over sticker, and a few months later, they were at sticker. By the end of the year, they were discounted.
Old 8/21/05, 10:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

if the shelby is around 40 and dealers dont rape us w/ markup id go for the shelby. especially if they actually keep the nice touches like in the show car. ie leather on everything. thats a nice touch. but the saleen will cost way too much. i love mustangs but for 70+ grand for a plastic saleen that C6 Z06 is looking pretty good.
Old 8/21/05, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ARF@August 19, 2005, 12:36 AM
Hello Guys!!!! thanks for the coments...

Enfynet: whis i could knock off some drug cartel, but then u guys wouldnt have anything up there, LOL!!!
if i put the guts under a gt... vin number, and everything will remain a GT, so resale value wont be higher...

Well, it's my preference because I already own a GT... and I'm not worried about resale value
Old 8/25/05, 03:23 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

HEY GUYS!!!!!!

dont let this post die... come on give more opinions... say something else... any new news?... please... i am very interested in shelby vs saleen...

Anyways... going now 2 blocks down to catch some waves... i just love the beach and mexico!... bye bye...
Old 8/25/05, 09:42 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

By the way... ist just me or does anyone else have heard about the saleen 640hp??? here is a link to some pictures and to the mustang club in mexico page, just in case you guys are interested: http://www.mustangclub.com.mx/mexico/forum...opic.php?t=1636
Hope to hear some new coments soon!
Old 8/26/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat@August 10, 2005, 8:54 AM
You might as well pick up the new C6 Z06. A far better machine in every way to the Saleen.
Yes the Z06 C6 will be an awesome car; I would love to have one but I can only have so many toys.

As far as Saleen vr Shelby; I use to own a 1999 S281, then i sold it when its residual value collasped on me. I learned -- as far as value goes -- stick with the manufacture; stick with ford; stick with shelby.

I will take a GT 350/500 any day over a Saleen. I did enjoy my saleen but its not a long term warrantied car; when I had it, 1 year warranty on Saleen parts; thank the gods that my saleen was more ford than saleen.

If they still made a standard cobra, lets say a 2004 cobra in a 2005 body ( 32-V, SC, 390 HP engine, 6-spd ) ... buy it and drop ship it to saleen; saleen cobras are a good value because the motor, tranny, and most of the car is a ford/cobra; saleen adds their body kit and suspension and I believe you will have a great ride.

my 2 cents