Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

shelby gt500 vs. saleen 281 extreme

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are comparing them after the hype wore off, if you want to do that, you are going to have to wait 3 years to buy a gt500.
And to whomever thinks you can get the new z06 for 70k, you are sorely mistaken. It will also have a markup on it, just like the new c6 did when it came out. I had a customer that paid $62,000 for his almost loaded coupe. so im pretty sure a z06 with no options will sell for at least 10k over msrp, if not more.
Old 8/11/05, 03:27 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Shelby will retain it's value for one important reason - if no others - its name: it's a Shelby. Name alone will guarantee its exclusivity and collectibility.
Old 8/11/05, 03:29 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by Rampant@August 11, 2005, 7:51 AM
^ What does "organic" mean when talking about a car design? I can understand when talking about art, but body kits?
Organic, as in precisely this definition: "Denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole."
Old 8/11/05, 05:14 PM

you shouldn't compare the shelby or the extreme to a m3,porsche or viper. The M3 is wat to much money and a little faster then a stock Gt. The porsche is way too mcuh money, but a little faster then both. the Z06 is gonna be in the 80's thousands. My father tried to order one and the dealer told him its gonna b marked up at least 15,000. This was a woodfield dealership in illinois
Old 8/11/05, 07:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fazm@August 11, 2005, 3:07 PM
You are comparing them after the hype wore off, if you want to do that, you are going to have to wait 3 years to buy a gt500.
And to whomever thinks you can get the new z06 for 70k, you are sorely mistaken. It will also have a markup on it, just like the new c6 did when it came out. I had a customer that paid $62,000 for his almost loaded coupe. so im pretty sure a z06 with no options will sell for at least 10k over msrp, if not more.
why does everyone assume there is going to be markup on hot cars? The first couple of months will see markups on Z06, M3, GT500 etc. But, then all the idiots will be weeded out and the price will return to normal. Just wait a few more months and the car will be negotiated below sticker. We aren't talking about Ford GTs or Ferrari Enzo here. They are not worth over sticker. Only the guys who have to have the first ones will pay that.
Old 8/11/05, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@August 11, 2005, 3:32 PM
Organic, as in precisely this definition: "Denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole."
Oh... I see. Thanks. Never got that definition from the word organic, but I see how it fits.
Old 8/12/05, 03:51 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 11, 2005, 6:07 PM
why does everyone assume there is going to be markup on hot cars? The first couple of months will see markups on Z06, M3, GT500 etc. But, then all the idiots will be weeded out and the price will return to normal. Just wait a few more months and the car will be negotiated below sticker. We aren't talking about Ford GTs or Ferrari Enzo here. They are not worth over sticker. Only the guys who have to have the first ones will pay that.
I'm with you, crazyhorse. This car simply isn't worth the sorts of markups people are reporting, and after the collectors and the "I gotta have it now" people are weeded out, the sane, patient people will be able to negotiate a reasonable price.

And I don't buy this whole, "drastically limited availability" thing, either. Ford is in business to make money (now more than ever). Limited numbers for a high-volume, mass production manufacturer like Ford means profitability won't be sufficient to recoup R&D, testing, tooling, etc. The Shelby badge may not be around for more than two years...but the car definitely will be, in one form or another.

I do find all this nonsense many dealers are spouting sort of disingenuous, though. So hard to find one with integrity these days.
Old 8/12/05, 08:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@August 11, 2005, 3:07 PM
This picture was taken August of 2003. It doesn't take that long for the hype of a new car to wear off.
Old 8/12/05, 09:14 AM

what fun is it to wait to till eveyone on the block has one, i say spend the dough and be one of the first ones to have one of the coolest cars out in a very long time. i am not a car guy by any stretch, but something about the 05 saleen has me ordering one this fall. my wife wants me to look at porsches, i will for some test drives, but im sticking to my guns. 06 saleen in the fall. i say order if you can, what fun is waiting till the hype is over.... my 2 cents... stecz
Old 8/12/05, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by stecz20@August 12, 2005, 10:17 AM
what fun is it to wait to till eveyone on the block has one, i say spend the dough and be one of the first ones to have one of the coolest cars out in a very long time. i am not a car guy by any stretch, but something about the 05 saleen has me ordering one this fall. my wife wants me to look at porsches, i will for some test drives, but im sticking to my guns. 06 saleen in the fall. i say order if you can, what fun is waiting till the hype is over.... my 2 cents... stecz
Let's see, if the hype is correct we may see $5k-10k markups on the GT500. Is being first on the block worth $5-10k if it only lasts 3-6 months? A car is such a poor investment to begin with, why be the sucker that paid 25% more than everyone else? I can think of countless other ways to spend $5k-10k then throw it in the garbage:
- new home entertainment system: plasma TV + DVD + receiver + speakers
- new car stereo+speakers+amp+$5k in my pocket
- rims+tires+exhaust+pully+tune+$5k in my pocket
- nice beater car
- the ultimate shopping spree at HomeDepot/Best Buy
- get brownie points for life by giving my wife the money
- invest in my little girl's future

IMO, you'd have to be a fool to pay dealer markup. But that's just my opinion.
Old 8/12/05, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Considering many dealers (to my knowledge) are STILL getting prett substantial markups on the "regular" Mustangs, how can people say there WON'T be one for a limited production Mustang with the Shelby name on it -- especially considering the massive hysteria sweeping the classic car market?
Old 8/12/05, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Rampant@August 12, 2005, 12:39 PM
Considering many dealers (to my knowledge) are STILL getting prett substantial markups on the "regular" Mustangs, how can people say there WON'T be one for a limited production Mustang with the Shelby name on it -- especially considering the massive hysteria sweeping the classic car market?
There's a big difference between the number of people that can afford a Mustang at $25k and the number that can afford a Mustang at $40k. The hysteria you're talking about is really only present in the Ford circles. Stop by almost any other forum and things like it's 3850 lbs, SRA, poor weight distribution, and aweful gas mileage are the subject of conversation. Add to this that a stripper Vette MSRP is $43k that has a similar power to weight, far better weight distribution, IRS, and in general, more class.

To quote someone else's comment I've heard lately. "If a Mustang could sell for more than $40k, there would be a lot more Saleens out there".
Old 8/12/05, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

^ The "hysteria" I was referring to is old-school muscle cars and classic Shelby's going for at least $160k.

I was just using the dealer mark-up on the modern cars to illustrate the demand is still high, long after everyone expected the high-volume Mustang to be selling below MSRP. Add to that a Shelby name and (estimated) low production numbers and I can't forsee the GT500 going out the door anywhere near MSRP for quite some time.

Also, a $40k Shelby is a whole lot different than a $40k Saleen. Not many people outside Mustang or enthusiast circles know what a Saleen is, but most everyone knows Shelby and his reputation. That makes a HUGE difference when buying a $40k car.

JMHO though.
Old 8/12/05, 06:56 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat@August 12, 2005, 12:17 PM
There's a big difference between the number of people that can afford a Mustang at $25k and the number that can afford a Mustang at $40k. The hysteria you're talking about is really only present in the Ford circles. Stop by almost any other forum and things like it's 3850 lbs, SRA, poor weight distribution, and aweful gas mileage are the subject of conversation. Add to this that a stripper Vette MSRP is $43k that has a similar power to weight, far better weight distribution, IRS, and in general, more class.

To quote someone else's comment I've heard lately. "If a Mustang could sell for more than $40k, there would be a lot more Saleens out there".
I mostly agree with this. Plus factor in that gas will probably be up to $70 a barrel by the time the Shelby comes out (and it'll go, what, 250 miles before needing a fill up?) and the only people who will be buying Shelbys are people with a LOT of disposable income. At $40K plus ridiculous dealer markups, most intelligent people will be looking in another segment altogether, like the aforementioned M3s and C6s.

So in other words, it'll only be collectors buying these, many of whom are pretty savvy about getting deals, and will themselves probably wait till the hype dies down. There's always a percentage of people with more money than sense who are willing to pay whatever it takes and have to have it right now. But I don't believe they account for the majority of Shelby buyers, most of whom will probably have to finanace the thing.

The only people claiming that this car is "already sold out"...and "only available in limited numbers"...and "gonna go for $25K over sticker" are people attached to Ford.

The reality is that Ford (and GM) are hurting financially. They can't afford to turn away potential sales by over-limiting this vehicle's accessibility.

I think a lot of what we're hearing is the PR machine cranking to whip us all into a feeding frenzy. I mean, a dealer here in town told me that they had already presold 12 Shelbys and that they were going to be getting twelve - and yet, they couldn't POSSIBLY know what their allotment is yet. So there's lots of cheeky behavior and out-and-out lying coming from Ford people with respect to this car.
Old 8/12/05, 07:10 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by stecz20@August 12, 2005, 8:17 AM
No disrespect intended, but some might say: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Old 8/13/05, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat@August 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
Let's see, if the hype is correct we may see $5k-10k markups on the GT500. Is being first on the block worth $5-10k if it only lasts 3-6 months? A car is such a poor investment to begin with, why be the sucker that paid 25% more than everyone else? I can think of countless other ways to spend $5k-10k then throw it in the garbage:
- new home entertainment system: plasma TV + DVD + receiver + speakers
- new car stereo+speakers+amp+$5k in my pocket
- rims+tires+exhaust+pully+tune+$5k in my pocket
- nice beater car
- the ultimate shopping spree at HomeDepot/Best Buy
- get brownie points for life by giving my wife the money
- invest in my little girl's future

IMO, you'd have to be a fool to pay dealer markup. But that's just my opinion.

all what you said is fine and danddy.. a car or anything else for that matter is only worth what one is willing to pay. part of the fun to most people is being the first one to have it on the block. if you have the money i say great, no reason to say to them they are throwing their money in the garbage. i say do what makes you happy.. here is how i look at it, by the time you even get the car i would be done with it and moving on to something else that blows my skirt..
Old 8/13/05, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@August 12, 2005, 7:13 PM
No disrespect intended, but some might say: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

lets see what you pay for your shelby, or at least what you think your gonna pay....
Old 8/13/05, 08:42 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by stecz20@August 13, 2005, 11:19 AM
lets see what you pay for your shelby, or at least what you think your gonna pay....
All dealerships around here are saying MSRP - no more. So if I choose Shelby over Saleen, that's what I'll pay.

I wouldn't pay more, no matter what.
Old 8/13/05, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@August 12, 2005, 6:59 PM
I think a lot of what we're hearing is the PR machine cranking to whip us all into a feeding frenzy. I mean, a dealer here in town told me that they had already presold 12 Shelbys and that they were going to be getting twelve - and yet, they couldn't POSSIBLY know what their allotment is yet. So there's lots of cheeky behavior and out-and-out lying coming from Ford people with respect to this car.
I would agree with that. I know I recently spoke to a Ford dealer in my area that had presold 25 Shelby's and had a wait list of 40. :scratch: That is truly ridiculous, there is no way this dealer (or most any other) will get those kinds of numbers during the first year of production. Unless these customers who have already "ponyed" up their money are willing to wait a couple of years for their Shelby!!

This type of behavior is unacceptable and one reason why there is such significant distrust among the buying public at large of car dealers in general. It's really shameful that dealers would behave in such a manner and that customers would allow themselves to be abused all for the sake of being the first to have the new Shelby.
Old 8/15/05, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

If a person wants to pay over sticker to be the first on the block, well, so be it. It only means that you will loose more money than a person who paid sticker. These cars are for enjoyment purposes only and are terrible investments. Terrible!

Expl.

A Ford GT is struggling to get 165K. Last year people were paying 300K.
There are two 2000 R-Model Mustangs on ebay for mid 30's with low miles. Sticker price was 55K.

Do the math...

Quick Reply: shelby gt500 vs. saleen 281 extreme