Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby Cobra GT500

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/05, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh69+March 10, 2005, 11:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Josh69 @ March 10, 2005, 11:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crispy23c@March 10, 2005, 8:40 AM
ummmmm....back to the thread.....?
What do you care, you haven't contributed anything to the topic at hand?

Besides, the last half of the posts are about the potential of SMG or similar in a Cobra, and since this is all speculation, either all or non of it is relevant, depending on your perspective....

So Chill.
[/b][/quote]

And I have contributed earlier on this thread. If you want a thread re: SMG, start one, and relax, Francis
Old 3/10/05, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by crispy23c+March 10, 2005, 2:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crispy23c @ March 10, 2005, 2:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Josh69@March 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-crispy23c
@March 10, 2005, 8:40 AM
ummmmm....back to the thread.....?

What do you care, you haven't contributed anything to the topic at hand?

Besides, the last half of the posts are about the potential of SMG or similar in a Cobra, and since this is all speculation, either all or non of it is relevant, depending on your perspective....

So Chill.
And I have contributed earlier on this thread. If you want a thread re: SMG, start one, and relax, Francis
[/b][/quote]

Like I said, since this topic and all others related to the possible expectations of the SVT are speculation and rumors, all or none of this post is relevant since we really don't know what to expect until at least the 23rd at NYC. So is it really important what the title of the topic is as regards to this particular subject, since it's all heresay for the time being.......:scratch:
Old 3/10/05, 03:35 PM

Like I said, since this topic and all others related to the possible expectations of the SVT are speculation and rumors, all or none of this post is relevant since we really don't know what to expect until at least the 23rd at NYC. So is it really important what the title of the topic is as regards to this particular subject, since it's all heresay for the time being.......
...gosh, perhaps then we should thus move this discussion over to something like a "Rumor Mill" forum area, what with being all hearsay and rumor and all...
Old 3/10/05, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 10, 2005, 4:38 PM
Like I said, since this topic and all others related to the possible expectations of the SVT are speculation and rumors, all or none of this post is relevant since we really don't know what to expect until at least the 23rd at NYC. So is it really important what the title of the topic is as regards to this particular subject, since it's all heresay for the time being.......
...gosh, perhaps then we should thus move this discussion over to something like a "Rumor Mill" forum area, what with being all hearsay and rumor and all...

Exactly my point, since this is the rumor mill it makes perfect sense!

Do guys really think posts in the rumor mill are going to be truly relevant? It's the RUMOR MILL! This is the last place people should get worked up about staying on topic...it's not like we can really discuss the finer points of something that is yet unknown.

Seriously though...I'm not purposely trying to be a ***** this time....I am trying to make the point that there are several of these posts that are just titled Cobra or similar...and most of them all cover the same topics...over and over and over. This particular post actually delved into something interesting, the SMG...which takes spades over the IRS/Live axle debate, the 3V or 4V head, the displacement ponderings, and whatnot that have all been beaten to death by opinions.
Old 3/12/05, 12:56 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i think an SMG might be cool especially for my family (yeah right, like im gonna get one anytime soon :P ) but my mom cant drive stick, my dad can and i want to learn it. poses a problem you see. the folks wont let me buy anything with a stick cuz then "your mother cant drive it"
an SMG in the mustang would be great, especially if they do it for all levels of stang, V6, GT, Cobra, Whatever.

plus for the ppl who want a stick for "having fun" but might also have long crapy commutes, it might be a good alternative to having an auto (where you lose all the fun) and a stick (where you tire yorself out with the clutch)

also i have a Q: do all SMGs have the option of going into "drive" like regular automatics? i know the one in my dads 323i does, that would really help for ppl who like to shift but occasioanlly get lazy. my dad loves it just a wonderin...
Old 3/15/05, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

The deal with the 5.0 cammer, as far a bore goes.... it's the same block as the 4.6, but to bore it out to a 5.0, it made the cylinder walls between the cylinders too thin, so they are bored well over, to the point that there is no wall in between the cylinders and then sleeved with a forged sleeve.... so they can handle the pressure, and still have a thin wall.
I don't know if this plays into the reliability factor for engine life, or if the reason they aren't in production cars boils down to emissions.... the engine was designed specifically with race in mind, and the high dollar racers won't hang on to an engine very long any ways.... they run the dog crap out of them, then replace them... frequently. So, the durability may be the issue.... 'cause it keeps sticking in my mind that SVT equipment is all supposed to be emissions legal..... but again, that may have changed, or I may just be wrong.
Old 3/20/05, 12:30 AM
GT Member

We may have to move this *out* of the Rumor Mill...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../C01-122313.htm

"First out of the gate, in 2006, will be a Shelby Cobra GT500. Based on the redesigned Ford Mustang, its engine will generate more than 450 horsepower, the highest output of any SVT product. "
Old 3/20/05, 12:38 AM
GT Member

This one is from media.ford.com...

Adrenalin showcases Ford's plans to produce in 2007 the first sport truck offering the combination of uncompromised utility, four-passenger capability and true performance. Along with the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - which will go on sale in 2006 - Adrenalin will continue SVT's product momentum that has been growing since the introduction of the acclaimed Ford GT super car in 2004.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=20470
Old 3/20/05, 07:19 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra@March 20, 2005, 1:41 AM
This one is from media.ford.com...

Adrenalin showcases Ford's plans to produce in 2007 the first sport truck offering the combination of uncompromised utility, four-passenger capability and true performance. Along with the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - which will go on sale in 2006 - Adrenalin will continue SVT's product momentum that has been growing since the introduction of the acclaimed Ford GT super car in 2004.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=20470
Could this be what they meant about a lighter Lightning? And I wonder how much I'm going to have to pay for that Shelby GT 500 name?
Old 3/20/05, 07:23 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting:

The Sport Trac Adrenalin delivers searing acceleration with its 4.6-liter, 32-valve DOHC V-8 powertrain. A Roots-type supercharger and water-to-air intercooler boost output to a whopping 390 horsepower and 390 pounds-feet of torque.
This appears to be and updated version of the 03/04 Cobra engine, although it carries the same 390 / 390 rating. Didn't SVT say a year ago that they wouldn't ever use that engine again?

And it has 4V heads, not 3V, which should re-ignite the the 3V vs 4V head argument for the Mustang Cobra.
Old 3/20/05, 07:28 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the Ford Press Release

Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - which will go on sale in 2006
The name is too short!

It should be:

The Henry Ford Carrol Shelby Mustang Cobra SVT GT500
Old 3/20/05, 07:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Closing this thread since its been announced, and no longer a rumor.

Let's use this one.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=19115&hl=