Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Saleen Exhaust Question

Old 7/2/08, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saleen Exhaust Question

I have the Saleen Center Exhaust on my clone but I am not happy with the sound of the magnaflow mufflers. They sound magna weak. I want to replace them with flowmasters and I would like to know if any of you out there with saleens have change out your mufflers. If so was it easy to have them replaced and did you have any alignment problems with the center tailpipe outlets afterewards?
Old 7/4/08, 05:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a couple guys on another forum who've done it. They replaced only the mufflers (you want the 1 in/2 out Flowmaster with the inlet in the center if you want to keep the dumps), so the cross pipe and tips stayed exactly the same. The price they paid for them custom installed was less than most axelback kits are for just the parts.
Old 7/7/08, 03:47 PM
Banned

The stock magnaflows have the offset inlet and the dual outlet. I have ordered the flowmasters at 209 for a pair and it will cost 180 to have them installed with the dumps.
Old 7/7/08, 08:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
The stock magnaflows have the offset inlet and the dual outlet.
Didn't mean to throw you off. I see the exhaust they're selling aftermarket has the inlet offset. Mine (and other S281s I've seen) looks like this for some reason:
Attached Images  
Old 7/8/08, 03:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SStang
Didn't mean to throw you off. I see the exhaust they're selling aftermarket has the inlet offset. Mine (and other S281s I've seen) looks like this for some reason:
No worries,
It looks like they changed the set up when Saleen dropped the dump valves in 2006. I have one of the older versions. I am going to keep the dump valves on the flowmasters. They are going to cut the dumps of the magnaflows and put them on the new mufflers. The Magnaflows are just way too quiet. I will submit pics after the mod. Have you heard any Saleens in person with flowmaster series 40s on them? I have only heard them on youtube but that is not as good as the real thing.
Attached Images  
Old 7/8/08, 03:18 AM
Banned

Hmmm....also when I look at your version it seems that your mufflers are shorter???? Maybe yours has a better sound to begin with. I will know something in about a week or two when the series 40s show up. I hope this works!
Old 7/19/08, 03:52 PM
Banned

I am really pleased with the flowmaster mufflers! I went to Meineke and the guy did an outsanding job of cuting out the magnaflow mufflers and welding the flowmasters into my Saleen Center exhaust. The car sounds so much better with a deeper and more agressive exhaust tone! This is the muffler that Saleen should have chosen to use. The next time I have the car up on a lift I will take pictures!
Old 8/6/08, 04:51 AM

So even though the setup changed in 2006 or so, Saleen still uses Magnaflow mufflers in their kit? I'm wanting a slightly more aggressive sound out of my '07 SC but was thinking about adding the FRPP x-pipe.
Old 8/7/08, 08:12 AM
Banned

Yes they all have the Magnaflow mufflers and I think that they are not aggressive sounding. The flowmasters sound much better. Go to youtube.com and search for Saleen with flowmasters and you will hear what I am talking about. I am very happy with my Saleen exhaust now with the flowmasters.
Old 11/12/08, 01:19 AM

Replied to this old post since the convo is the same... I also want to add a more aggressive tone to my Saleen exhaust. Anyone tried the Magnaflow Tru-X in lieu of changing mufflers? Do u know if this is ever a street-legal system, as I have only come across listings that say off-road (even when it lists cats. w/ the kit). I had been thinking I'd try to stay with Ford/Saleen parts (or at least those other manuf. already used on the car), but there are probably better deals if I remove that parameter.