Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Roush BlackJack #98 for $43K

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/07, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush BlackJack #98 for $43K

I saw this in person when it was brand new about a month ago at another dealership. They wanted $57K for it. I wonder how this dealer acquired it and why they are now selling it for under $43K. Good deal?

Link: http://www.jeffswadsworth.com/temps/...rchvkid=175044
Old 8/24/07, 05:19 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Someone took one hell of a loss or it was involved in an accident.
Old 8/29/07, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If it sounds to good to be true, then it is.
Old 9/7/07, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Roush have very poor resale value.My stg 2 cost $42,000 and I'd be lucky to get Mustang GT wholesale price for a trade in.Looks like im stuck with it for a while,which is why I had to turn down my GT500 order.My dealer promised me he'd give me almost what I paid for it when the shelby came in and when the time came he offered only $26,000 for the Roush.And this guy is a family friend.Shame on me for believing him.
Old 9/7/07, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ZRX4ME
Roush have very poor resale value.My stg 2 cost $42,000 and I'd be lucky to get Mustang GT wholesale price for a trade in.Looks like im stuck with it for a while,which is why I had to turn down my GT500 order.My dealer promised me he'd give me almost what I paid for it when the shelby came in and when the time came he offered only $26,000 for the Roush.And this guy is a family friend.Shame on me for believing him.

Phlllbbbttt.... Shelby?

Why not just build up your Stage 2? The Roush suspension is already good enough to run circles around the Shelby.

As for Roush Resale, a number of factors are to be considered. First, the are far less Roush Mustangs when compared to everything else out there, those who buy them also generally do not part with them for some time, as such there is little in the way of a paper trail and hard for value determination to be made. It was this way for many years at Saleen.

Also they are niche vehicles that cater to a specific customer as opposed to the general car buyer, and again this will also affect "perceived value"

Besides Roush has some goodies coming.......
Old 9/7/07, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

im not knocking the car.Its one of the best handling cars i've ever driven.It gets many stares and attracts young ricers who want to race like moths to a flame.I was origonally supposed to get a shelby,but the dealer convinced my wife(I was not present during this impulse buy) to get the roush in the meantime and that when my shelby came in he would give us back most of what we paid in trade.Now im stuck with it and I don't like to keep cars long.........im ready to move on and there aint gonna be no movin on for a while-LOL.
Old 9/7/07, 10:47 AM

Roush and Saleen price themselves out of the market. They add many unnecessary options for the sake of of different look, raising the prices beyond the market rather than to concentrate their efforts on performance and handling, the core of their expertice. Too many bells and whistles which depreciate at a faster rate than the cars they modify.
Old 9/7/07, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Roush and Saleen price themselves out of the market. They add many unnecessary options for the sake of of different look, raising the prices beyond the market rather than to concentrate their efforts on performance and handling, the core of their expertice. Too many bells and whistles which depreciate at a faster rate than the cars they modify.
Yer Smokin from the wrong end of the pipe dude.

Roush and Saleen price themselves out of the market???

---Seen the ADM's on Shelby? Not seeing those on Roush OR Saleen here..

Performance and Handling???

---It has already been documented that the Roush S3 has outperformed the Shelby, handily I might add. As for Saleen, I have seen no such comparison yet.

Oh, and who did the R&D for Shelby?

---- Yup. Roush

Whose motors are being stuffed into the Shelby endorsed Cobra replicas?

----Yup. Roush

If you think the Shelby is going to hold up it's inflated values, maybe I can interest you in some nice oceanside property in Kansas.

Really, what DID Carroll Shelby give to the GT500?

(insert cricket chirping sound here)

it's SVT (I'd think you and I would agree on this point.)
Old 9/7/07, 01:09 PM

You can try to justify your predicament but in reality any Roush products play second fiddle to the GT500 otherwise they would not spend months on dealer lots. In case you over looked it, the GT500's suspension can be upgraded. Roush or FRPP, take your pick.

I am very familiar with all Roush products to the point I considered for months getting one. Dissected and side by side, $48,400 (MSRP near $53K) for the Stage 3 or $50,060 (including a $5K ADM) for the GT500. The additional $1,660.00 and applicable taxes was a no brainer, at least it would be for most of us ( ) dummies, meaning, you get to wear the Roush crown.

The GT500 inflated values will not hold up, most Mustangs' never do but will sure hold a lot better than any Roush product, no degrading intended. As a matter of fact, I view Roush Performance as the most innovative with the best quality and best performer in the aftermarket segment. I am a fan of Jack Roush not only for his contributions but for his low key, down to earth demeaner, a good honest person unlike his shyster counterpart.
Old 9/7/07, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
Yer Smokin from the wrong end of the pipe dude.
I hate to say it, but as a former Roush owner, I will never own another one. I think there quality is 2nd to none....no one here would ever argue with you on that point, but my problem with Roush is they market to the consumer....and do NOTHING for them once they have bought their product.

What do I mean by that? The service on my Roush always had to be fought out at the dealership to see if it was a Ford problem or a Roush problem to get any warranty work done. It was a nightmare anytime I had to take it in...

Resale was another huge hit for me. Roush has created the worlds fastest depreciating mustang. I do see the huge ADM's on the GT500...but if you look in the NADA, edmunds.com, kbb....they will all have a listing for that car, and give you an appropriate secondary market value. If you buy a new stage 3 there is no secondary market whatsoever. You will get wholesale GT price at best. Now you can sit on the car and sell it outright, but hopefully the person is coming with cash in hand because banks will not loan above NADA value of Mustang GT for the car. At least Saleen has listed themselves in some secondary markets. Roush has not. Why? Because of the cost.

I used to be a huge Roush fan, on the Roush Owners and Enthusiast Assn Board, and had my car in many demonstration booths for Roush across the mid-west, but in the end, they were not there for me. I will only buy a specialty mustang if it is a Ford brand mustang...mach1, bullitt, CS/GT, etc...

again...I am not knocking their product, they know how to build a mustang...but be prepared to have long hassles with service, be prepared to keep the car for a long while, and be prepared to take a huge hit on depreciation.
Old 9/7/07, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

N4agoodtyme,

Roush IS listed in NADA.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...8&m=1370&da=-1

Values to date are not for the reason I have described in a prior post on this topic.

There simply aren't enough of them that have changed hands in order to establish value. SALEEN had the same problem...for many years.

It would appear to me that you are no longer a Roush fan, possibly because you may have lost your shorts in a trade in... that issue rests solely with the seller, no one twists your arm to accept a dealer trade value.

Maybe another issue was ROEA, this outfit has not exactly developed the most stellar of reputations.

As for service difficulty, I have experienced that a bit, but I refused to back down and Roush made it right.
Old 9/7/07, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

N4agoodtyme,

Roush IS listed in NADA.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...8&m=1370&da=-1
Type in 2001 Stage 3

Type in 2004 380R

Type in 2001 Stage 1 V6 coupe

Type in 2005 Stage 2 Deluxe

I tried all 4 and NO VALUES appear. Try optioning one out...you will never get a used value in any "official" form. Try to get a loan from a bank on a used Roush...It will not happen unless you are selling for GT price. This is not an opinion...this is fact. I see you had some great cars...try selling your Roush and you will see what I mean. Roush buyers need to realize that you are in it for the long haul, because NO ONE will give you anywhere near what you paid for it. That is true of all cars, but when you buy a premium car, you would expect a little more back than that of a plain jane model...

Personally I was lucky because I bought my 2001 new in 2002 as a left over, and bought it for just over the regular mustang counterpart price. But in selling it out-right, I had many people want to buy, but no bank would loan 175% of used Mustang book value. I had to wait until cash in hand....even the Roush dealers don't offer a premium back...

Why all this hassle? They are not listed....like I said, Roush does not support the secondary market...Saleen has the same problem.

Don't be so defensive, I think they are by far the BEST built mustangs on the road today, but after all of my problems with the dealer issues, I am done...

More power to those who love them...I am not one of them anymore......
Old 9/8/07, 05:31 AM

... possibly because you may have lost your shorts in a trade in...
Laughing at your neighbor when his house is burning might not be the brightest of ideas, specially when the wind is blowing your way.

Keep the faith and hold them shorts tight.
Old 9/8/07, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Another Mustang debate! Love this issue, lets throw some more fuel on the fire. Here is my two Cents

GT 500: Price is right at MSRP, but not a penny over! Most potential in the engine, but thats where it ends! Interior, way to much plastic, same seats as a GT, the boost gauge is useless. I like the SVT guage cluster but the rest of interior is Mustang GT. First ever 2 ton mustang, so a Jenny Craig diet is a required, if you want to compete with the 3500 lb Roush Stage 3 or Saleen SC on the track. Brakes fade alot (Vented rotors are a must with 14 inch fronts). Car sits on its tippy toes, so suspension upgrade is a requirement. Riims!!! $40,000+ no chrome....WTF? Great at the drag strip, not so hot on the road course. With all the front end weight and understeer you can plow snow with her. 10,000 + units in 2007 means there will be plenty to go around in the coming years when the next most powerful mustang is released (SS, KR, BOSS?). The rear end diffuser and front spiltter are non functional, vinyl stripes are just cheap on a $40,000+ car.

Roush Stage 3: MSRP is not bad, but if you get it for less great value. Suspension rocks as this car handles as well as the Saleen SC. Interior really nice! The carbon fiber, the hurst shifter, and the Jack roush gauges are a nice touch and help tone down the plastic appeal on Mustang GT. The Jack Roush Seats provide outstanding support and are on par with a car of this quality. Love the Aluminum 3 valve engine, and at 415 horses this car is a rocket ship. No Boost gauge..... WTF?? Not a big fan of the two tone interior, especially the blue and purple. Vinyl Stripes are a cost cutting measure, and a non functional hood scoop is wasted weight in my mind. Love the rear spoiler, wheels, brakes and only 2000 units a year.

Saleen S281 SC: Steep pricing at MSRP, if you can attain $5K under its a smoking deal. 3 Valve Aluminum engine, at 6 lbs of boost = light weight. 465 to 475 Hp at 500 lbs lighter then GT 500 = A faster car. Interior is the highest quality, really nice center gauge cluster. Would work better if the gauges pointed toward the driver though. Saleen Gauge cluster in dash is as nice as Roush or SVT. 20 Inch chrome wheels are nice, ride quality is nice, but to much bling for most performance minded folks. Brakes never fade, so beat on them at will with the pizza pie rotors. Saleen Supercharger looks alot nicer then the Eaton or the Roush, and at 6lbs of boost is the most efficent. Best looking Mustang in my opinion however, the rims and rear extentsion are questionable at times. Saleen Customer service is a pain in the *** to deal with, but at 1500 units per year it is the rarest.
Old 9/9/07, 08:32 PM

Roush and Saleen have always been a good tuner cars that are set up to handle better then the stock GT. If you go up in the stages you also get more HP. This is great if you just want a Mustang you can drive off the lot and not have to modify. The down side is there is not much room left to modify. These cars at stage 3 are maxxed out. You can't just add a pulley or intake to get more HP, your at or near the limit already.

Ford with SVT has always been about giving the buyer a better base to start with. Look at the engine a 4.6 crate motor is around $4,000 a S/C 5.4 goes for around $14,000. The stock 4.6 is good for 500 hp the 5.4 700+. Then there the trans, clutch, brake, and intercooler. This car just begs to be modify. The Mustang has always been a street/strip racer. It can be made to run on a road course but it loves the street. As far as how many made I don't see how that maters. It just a car not a investment you have fun and drive it like you stole it. That what makes it worth the money not keeping it in the garage for my kids to sell.
Old 9/10/07, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Xich59,

I agree with about 90% of your post, there is not a mustang (GT or Cobra) that comes off the assembly line that cannot be improved by a large margin. I think we will all agree with you the Engine on the GT500 has the most potential, for power, no doubt in my mind, but it's a meanging less comparison in my mind when we look at the mustang overall as performance vehicle. Your right at street and drag strip the GT 500 is fast in a straight line. However, I am one of those performance minded drivers who loves pushing my cars to edge left, right and straight. I love to take my ride to track and compete with those Chevy guys and sometimes those high class Europeans and I need to take a gunfigther. Straightline accleration is not going to get it done.

Look at the numbers we are talking about 300-350 HP mustang GT, 415-435Hp Roush, 475-600HP Saleen, and a 500-700 HP GT 500. Seriously the 300 HP GT is alot of power, but 400 is just sick and more then most anyone needs. At 300 horses the Standard GT is fast, and aerodynamics and weight, and Fords less than spectacular shocks, springs, and struts start to plaque it at 70+ miles an hour.

In my opinion Roush and Saleen take a good product and improve on it creating a higher quality product that maximizes the potential of the mustang on all avenues.

I agree too that you pay for that additional performance and if you're not going to use it you're wasting time and money. But those of you who have pushed these cars to the limits can certainly understand why Roush Racing and Saleen Speedlab have been so successful in auto racing.