Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

REAL INFO on the new Cobra!

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/05, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car and driver tv show said today you could buy a bare bones c6 corvette for 44,000
Old 3/20/05, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

I remember way back ford saying they wanted the new "cobra" to compete with cars like the M3 or M5, saying they would make it more luxury of sort, i dont remember the exact quote, but I know you guys know what im talking about. So I have to wonder, will it have the gadgets that the bmw's, and vettes have? Or will it just be like a gt but with better suspension, power, and overall performance like all the previous year cobras? Not that I have a problem with that, but im just remembering that quote.
Old 3/20/05, 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is all pretty close to the info I posted on here a while back (on December 3, 2004 - over three and a half months ago). Other than the number of valves in the head (my source says 3, your source says 4), our info dovetails.

We'll see.

Here's my original post:First '07 Cobra Info from an "Inside Source"

I think it's interesting that the original info I got from my 'inside source' that I posted here in the thread back then has been ALL over the web and quoted as gospel on many sites, especially in numerous Mustang sites alone.

Just goes to show the coverage that Brad's forums - The Mustang Source - has in the automotive enthusiast's world.
Old 3/20/05, 09:05 PM

If a production car is 500hp or more, isn't there a tax/tariff that goes with?
Could be a good reason to keep it under-rated. May even need to "unlock" it.
Old 3/20/05, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fireseid@March 20, 2005, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but, I would prefer underrating for that reason as well as insurance reasons. It is actually a gas guzzler tax.
Old 3/20/05, 09:19 PM
V6 Member

Steve,

Your original post from your source said that the 07 Cobra "will be using an air cooled Intercooler, opting away from the water cooled version used previously due to reliability concerns".

How could you, mechanically speaking, set this system up with a screw type supercharger, could it be that we will instead see the super cooler, AC cooled system?

Could we be seeing the 6 speed auto that will be in the SVT Adrenaline offered in the new Cobra/Shelby mustangs?

Can't wait to see what happen in New York this week.
Old 3/20/05, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse+March 20, 2005, 10:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ March 20, 2005, 10:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fireseid@March 20, 2005, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but, I would prefer underrating for that reason as well as insurance reasons. It is actually a gas guzzler tax.
[/b][/quote]

The gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with HP but is based on actually MPG ratings from the factory. That's why the automatic GTO has the tax applied and the manual GTO does not. They both have the same HP but the auto gets worse gas mileage.

For more info:

http://www.liberalartsandcrafts.net/conten...uzzlertax.shtml
Old 3/20/05, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@March 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
The gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with HP but is based on actually MPG ratings from the factory. That's why the automatic GTO has the tax applied and the manual GTO does not. They both have the same HP but the auto gets worse gas mileage.
Right, and I think the only way the 6-speed Goat evades the tax is because of the "skip-shift" system which will force a shift from 1st to 4th under most operating conditions, so PMD can flub their gas mileage numbers just enough to sneak in under the bar. My Trans Am and the Corvette have the same system for the same reason. First thing most people do when they buy one of these cars is disable the skip-shift system.

I am majorly geeked about the new Shelby/Cobra...not going to believe anything until I hear it from Ford's mouth, but so far all of this information is promising. Price point is what's going to determine whether I buy one. I'm in better financial shape than I was a year or two ago, so anything up to $38k-$40k is probably doable, but any more than that and I'm gonna have to settle for a poster on my wall.

One way or another, though, it's going to be a fun car to look at, and listen to.
Old 3/21/05, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe anaki is incorrect. Under $40k (barely) is where I think this will come in...
my .02
Old 3/21/05, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

This is good about 40k and under I might be able to get one. So far I have about a 14k down payment saved up.
Old 3/21/05, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, same info i posted months ago.
Old 3/21/05, 09:38 AM
GT Member

They underrated the 03-04 for a couple reasons. The first is the 99 Cobra fiasco. Then there's insurance and other factors. I think they really learned a lesson after all the 99 Cobra bad press and are being conservative with ratings to stay on our "good side".
Old 3/21/05, 09:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by sknapp302@March 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
Steve,

Your original post from your source said that the 07 Cobra "will be using an air cooled Intercooler, opting away from the water cooled version used previously due to reliability concerns".

How could you, mechanically speaking, set this system up with a screw type supercharger, could it be that we will instead see the super cooler, AC cooled system?

Could we be seeing the 6 speed auto that will be in the SVT Adrenaline offered in the new Cobra/Shelby mustangs?

Yes, that is exactly what he said but he had no specifics; only that it was one of the options being considered that - at that time - was the front runner. He hasn't offered any more info on it since then, saying that was all he was privy to.

The automatic is definitely going to happen according to him; when exactly it happens is still being debated (according to 'John'), but it will be an option at some point. Although, his info was that they were looking at a version of the 5 speed automatic (at that time) using the tranny out of the powerstroke trucks. But, it IS possible that the transmission is based on the truck tranny, I guess.

As soon as I hear more, I'll post it. Either way, it's ALL good for the performance world.
Old 3/21/05, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Steve+March 21, 2005, 11:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve @ March 21, 2005, 11:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sknapp302@March 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
Steve,

Yes, that is exactly what he said but he had no specifics; only that it was one of the options being considered that - at that time - was the front runner. He hasn't offered any more info on it since then, saying that was all he was privy to.

The automatic is definitely going to happen according to him; when exactly it happens is still being debated (according to 'John'), but it will be an option at some point. Although, his info was that they were looking at a version of the 5 speed automatic (at that time) using the tranny out of the powerstroke trucks. But, it IS possible that the transmission is based on the truck tranny, I guess.

As soon as I hear more, I'll post it. Either way, it's ALL good for the performance world.
[/b][/quote]

Steve, someone asked you earlier in a thread if the Cobra was red w/ white stripes and I thought you replied "no". Am I wrong on this because the pic of HTT and CS together w/ a red Mustang w/ white stripes. I guess what I'm getting at is, if your source has seen a different car, could it be the "other car" some of us are hoping for, or the suprise that Brad said Ford was reffering to?
Old 3/21/05, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by anaki@March 20, 2005, 6:08 PM
The Shelby will absolutely not be cheaper than $40K, try more like $48k.
That's before the dealers mark them up of course.
I have to agree 100% . I hope I'm wrong, but I dont see anyway in the world, a Mustang with Shelbys name on it, with basicly the same engine as the Ford GT, a 150k car selling for250k in most dealerships, will go for any where near as low as 40k. I know they plan on making like 7500 of them. I still think dealerships will have a feild day marking these up, and I dont think they'll budge, I think we are going to have a hard time finind one of these any where near MSRP. Just my opinion.
Old 3/21/05, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by runfox+March 21, 2005, 12:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(runfox @ March 21, 2005, 12:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-anaki@March 20, 2005, 6:08 PM
I have to agree 100% . I hope I'm wrong, but I dont see anyway in the world, a Mustang with Shelbys name on it, with basicly the same engine as the Ford GT, a 150k car selling for250k in most dealerships, will go for any where near as low as 40k. I know they plan on making like 7500 of them. I still think dealerships will have a feild day marking these up, and I dont think they'll budge, I think we are going to have a hard time finind one of these any where near MSRP. Just my opinion.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not going to get one, but I can bet you that I'll be able to find you one @ MSRP, and you can take me up on that, too.

I have yet to witness any dealer adjusted value @ my dealership. That's why I love those guys.
Old 3/21/05, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by runfox+March 21, 2005, 12:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(runfox @ March 21, 2005, 12:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-anaki@March 20, 2005, 6:08 PM
[/b][/quote]

It won't be the same engine as the Ford GT.
Old 3/21/05, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a 3V not a 4V too.
Old 3/21/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@March 21, 2005, 1:05 PM
It's a 3V not a 4V too.
You can't just come out of left field w/ a statement like that and run back to left field. Share the knowledge. Someone else, PACETTR, was under the impression that it WAS going to be a 3-valve but, now says 4-valve. What made you say this?
Old 3/21/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng+March 21, 2005, 1:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ March 21, 2005, 1:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by runfox@March 21, 2005, 12:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-anaki
@March 20, 2005, 6:08 PM

It won't be the same engine as the Ford GT.
[/b][/quote]

Technically, he didn't say it would.

IF it does have a 5.4 litre, 4-valve, Whipple supercharger, but w/o the dry sump oiling and the 550 hp, then it is basically the same engine.

Quick Reply: REAL INFO on the new Cobra!