Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Real dealer cost on GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng+April 4, 2005, 6:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ April 4, 2005, 6:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PACETTR@April 4, 2005, 1:04 AM
How many Mustang GT's do you think are sitting on dealer lots, and how much rebate do you expect to see on them? GTO's didn't sit because of AMV, they sat because they S-U-C-K. Dealers also have ways around pricing agreements. I know of a dealer who had a pricing agreement on an unnamed high-demand vehicle. The dealer bought it, tagged it, and sold it USED for a much higher profit than their agreement would allow. See supply and demand
And when you go down the street to pick up that new M3, don't be too disappointed when you find AMV at the BMW dealer as well. I guess there's always that new GTO at the Chevy dealer

There won't be rebates on Mustangs for the foreseeable future. If gas spikes to over $3.50/gallon, then you'll be able to get a GT anywhere. Heck, I may get rid of the truck if it goes that high.

GTOs sat for two reasons, the AMV and the styling. The styling wasn't the greatest, but enthusaists would still buy them. The AMV made a bad situation worse. Very few people are going to pay over sticker for a USED car, so I think that is a poor example. The car market is very unusual. In the late 80s, early 90s collector cars spiked, and then in the mid 90s, they took a nosedive. I think its beginning to look that way again. The enthusiasts are getting priced out of the market, and when that happens, demand dries up, and prices fall back. Its kinda like the stock market, when prices go up, people start jumping on the bandwagon and buying. But at some point people step back and realize they're paying a lot for something that may not be worth that amount. (i.e Dot Com boom)

BMWs are below sticker. I checked this weekend. Besides why do you care what I buy?

Charlie,

I see you point about the free market, but the market works one way for a certain industry, and another for another industry. It defies logic. Why do people accept one way of doing business for a N64 or a $10K plasma TV for that matter, and another for a vehicle?
[/b][/quote]
GTO's sat for ONE reason (see above). Mustangs continue to fly off dealer lots in spite of AMV, and there are more Stangs than there are Goats. And my "poor" example of a used car actually happened, so I think that makes it a GOOD example, since, again, it actually happened.
I don't care what you buy. Buy whatever you want, or whatever you are willing to pay for in this case. Don't be upset when you don't get what you want, though (assuming you want the new Shelby) because you aren't willing to pay MARKET (what people are willing to pay) VALUE. Again: Supply and Demand; these things are NOT GTO's :nono:
Old 4/4/05, 08:00 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PACETTR@April 4, 2005, 8:52 AM
GTO's sat for ONE reason (see above). Mustangs continue to fly off dealer lots in spite of AMV, and there are more Stangs than there are Goats. And my "poor" example of a used car actually happened, so I think that makes it a GOOD example, since, again, it actually happened.
I don't care what you buy. Buy whatever you want, or whatever you are willing to pay for in this case. Don't be upset when you don't get what you want, though (assuming you want the new Shelby) because you aren't willing to pay MARKET (what people are willing to pay) VALUE. Again: Supply and Demand; these things are NOT GTO's :nono:
The GTOs sat for several reasons. Peruse the GTO forums and you will be enlightened. Believe what you will.

Because it happened ONCE, its a good example.

I won't be upset if I don't get a GT500, because I simply won't pay the markup. At the 7,500 vehicles they plan to make, that's hardly limited. Ford said they would only make something ~6500 Mach 1s in 03, but they made over 9K. If the profit potential is there, Ford will do it again.

Have a nice day.
Old 4/4/05, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng@April 4, 2005, 8:31 AM
Charlie,

I see you point about the free market, but the market works one way for a certain industry, and another for another industry. It defies logic. Why do people accept one way of doing business for a N64 or a $10K plasma TV for that matter, and another for a vehicle?
Well, I believe I said this in another post... possibly this thread, but I'm too lazy to look.

Anyway, I think that the reason most of the inexpensive stuff we buy in non-negotiable is that the general public doesn't think it's worth the hassle to haggle for everything they buy. They'd rather just take the 1 or 2 dollar markup and leave the negotiating to higher priced items like cars, homes, expensive electronics (although some people have bowed to the corporations and stopped negotiating for even $10k plasmas), etc.

If the general public thinks it's worth it to negotiate for an item, they will, like those N64s. They may be of lesser value than other items out there, but at the time people wanted these systems so badly that they were willing to pay 1000% over the product's MSRP! It's all in how our culture percieves a certain market. Capitalism is a self-fullfilling prophecy, remember that.
Old 4/4/05, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng+April 4, 2005, 8:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ April 4, 2005, 8:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PACETTR@April 4, 2005, 8:52 AM
The GTOs sat for several reasons. Peruse the GTO forums and you will be enlightened. Believe what you will.

Because it happened ONCE, its a good example.

I won't be upset if I don't get a GT500, because I simply won't pay the markup. At the 7,500 vehicles they plan to make, that's hardly limited. Ford said they would only make something ~6500 Mach 1s in 03, but they made over 9K. If the profit potential is there, Ford will do it again.

Have a nice day.
[/b][/quote]
I'm pretty sure the GTO forums are full of people who actually LIKE them; I'm sure they will FIND ALL KINDS OF EXCUSES. The fact remains that Mustangs continue to sell IN SPITE OF AMV. Believe what YOU will...

If it happened once, it happened many times.

Good luck with that GT500 purchase...
Old 4/6/05, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Here's a good idea. Ford oughtta charge the dealers an AMV on the new GT500. And then go ahead and build 12000+ a year.

Start out at invoice+$10K then ramp that down to invoice at the end of the model year. Then all the s*ckers could buy their $60K GT500s and the guys willing to wait can buy at invoice. The dealers make $10K to start and then make $1K(with holdback) by the end. Everyone's happy.