Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Questions for Carroll Shelby and Hau Thai-Tang?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/05, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember Brad, the tall fancy glass is for water, not Pabst.
That's funny right there.....
Old 12/28/05, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

first brad i would like you to tell c.s how honored i am at the chance of seeing a new breed of shelby ...just like my dad and past family members were able to experiance.....there are a ton of questions i could have you ask him but i think this one suits me best....others have asked great questions but this one is a little diffrent...how does it feel to be back home at ford where he belongs...and does he feel that now that he is back home can we expect bigger and better things.......
Old 12/28/05, 05:00 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just One question! Can anything naturally aspirated with 3 valves, an aluminum block and 5.4 liters ever see the light of day? So that the faithful will not have to tuck thier tails between their legs and hang their head in shame when a Z/28 pulls up sporting 6.2 liters displacement and VVT.
Old 12/28/05, 05:04 PM
FR500 Member

Okay, here's a few questions for HTT and CS: Have they ever toyed with the idea of a "Super Snake" version of the GT500/Cobra? (Cost be darned! ) What about a Shelby version of the F150? In other words, basically a next-gen Lightning. (I've seen one SC'ed Shelby Durango out here, why not?) This last one is more for HTT - is Ford taking steps to reduce the weight of their vehicles across the entire product range - without getting into cheesy cost-cutting measures? Somehow, Fords seem to end up heavier than the competition while having equivalent or less horsepower. Adding more power to compensate for increased weight is not the answer. Now if they add power AND reduce weight, that would be .
In any case, be sure to enjoy yourself.
Old 12/28/05, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ask if they had forseen the rattle issues due to the use of cheap plastic on the dashboard. Well ok, I may need a more eloquent question, lol...
Old 12/28/05, 05:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. How similar to the 03-04 Cobra's SC 4.6L can we expect the Adrenalin's V-8 to be. Will there possibly be changes in tune, cam profile, etc. for awd truck duty, or will it essentially be a slightly modernized Terminator V-8?

2. Can we expect SVT's trend of rating hp "conservatively" as it was in the 03-04 Cobra and GT to be continued with the Adrenalin and GT500?

3. Several automotive magazines have commented favorably on the "rheostat" powerband of SVT's supercharged V-8's. Is forced induction going to remain the rule of the day at SVT, or can we expect more variety as offerings increase again. (I am all for supercharging and wide, fat powerbands btw)
Old 12/28/05, 06:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"you gonna finish that?"

and ask something about why they are emphasizing more on brute power than weight savings and handling etc.

i mean a blown 5.4L is great, but all that weight from a large motor and luxo goodies adds up...
Old 12/28/05, 06:49 PM
Closet American

Brad:

Please ask Carroll - in his opinion - why he feels SRA is just as effective in this new GT500 as an IRS might have been (given twisty, uneven roads)...what the relative advantages and disadvantages of each are (in his opinion)...under what applications he believes IRS is superior...and how the two systems stacked up against each other back in the days when he was racing.

Please.
Old 12/28/05, 06:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Any plans on using the SUPERCOOLER in future vehicles?
Old 12/28/05, 06:52 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 28, 2005, 7:52 PM
Brad:

Please ask Carroll - in his opinion - why he feels SRA is just as effective in this new GT500 as an IRS might have been (given twisty, uneven roads)...what the relative advantages and disadvantages of each are (in his opinion)...under what applications he believes IRS is superior...and how the two systems stacked up against each other back in the days when he was racing.

Please.
Road & Track: Some feel the car should have an independent rear suspension, like the previous-generation Mustang Cobra — what do you think?

Shelby: That's bull. We proved a long time ago that for ordinary driving and going around a skidpad with a straight rear axle, you can do it as well as you can with an independent rear. It takes a lot of engineering, weight and cost to do an independent suspension. By not doing it, we took $5000 out of the car.
Old 12/28/05, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Ask them if I can get a job!! I'll send my resume.
Old 12/28/05, 06:53 PM

R&T: Is there room in the Ford line for a sports car positioned between the Mustang and (Ford) GT(40)?

Shelby: Yes, but I see with all the financial problems, it will be probably be built outside the company. I like the Shelby GR-1 concept we did. I would like for Ford to do that, but with the problems they have it's not likely to happen any time soon. Still, I have a few concepts I'm pushing with them.
Old 12/28/05, 07:03 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@December 28, 2005, 6:55 PM
Road & Track: Some feel the car should have an independent rear suspension, like the previous-generation Mustang Cobra — what do you think?

Shelby: That's bull. We proved a long time ago that for ordinary driving and going around a skidpad with a straight rear axle, you can do it as well as you can with an independent rear. It takes a lot of engineering, weight and cost to do an independent suspension. By not doing it, we took $5000 out of the car.
Yeah, I read that in R&T too - that's what prompted me to ask for further details from him on the SRA vs. IRS debate, beyond just the "boiler plate" answer.
Old 12/28/05, 07:11 PM

That's really all there is to it. Mustang won the Grand-Am Cup Road Racing Championship with solid rear axle cars, so SVT figured if it was good enough for Grand-Am champs, it's good enough for the street.
Old 12/28/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

It was said b4 but I also want to see SVT expand into Lincon and Mercury

I wana see an SVT Lincon LS

P.S.
During dinner - *cough-cough* New Cougar *cough*

Old 12/28/05, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

You've already gotten a lot of inquries to ask them in reference as to why the GT500 is going to be such a porcine, heavy car. (3900 lbs :shock: ). I'd ask them what special considerations came into play in order to get the handling right in such a nose heavy car. All that weight, esp biased in the front end, can play havoc in trying to get a car to handle correctly. And yes, I'd like to know why the GT500 is so darn heavy along w/ most of the other ?'s here.
Old 12/28/05, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

In all sincerity I don't understand the weight complaints if only because I cannot think of another coupe anything like the Mustang's size that packs a motor as powerful as the GT500's and isn't at least as heavy as the Mustang. People keep citing the Vette, but the Vette is, in reality, considerably smaller and not a 2+2 GT.....both of which remove weight. That said I would be very curious to see HTT's response to questions regarding the cars weight because I think they would be as interesting as the IRS responses he has given.
Old 12/28/05, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
For Hau - Do you consider the current SRT efforts at DaimlerChrysler as equivalent to, behind, or ahead of what SVT intends to accomplish in the next 12-18 months?

For Carroll - What is your favorite Ford model currently in production, excluding the GT or Mustang lines, and why?
Old 12/29/05, 02:56 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@December 28, 2005, 7:14 PM
That's really all there is to it. Mustang won the Grand-Am Cup Road Racing Championship with solid rear axle cars, so SVT figured if it was good enough for Grand-Am champs, it's good enough for the street.
It will be interesting, then, to see if the professional automotive testers come to the same conclusion when they street test the GT500 late next year. I actually do hope they concur with that logic.

If not, I'll reposit the question then, with the additional rider: "If that's 'really all there is to it,' then why does no other manufacturer of production performance cars use solid rear axles anymore?"
Old 12/29/05, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask Shelby that if there was something specific he did not like at all on the new Shelby GT500, does he have any final say as to it stays or goes or ultimately gets changed?

Quick Reply: Questions for Carroll Shelby and Hau Thai-Tang?