Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Question on the hood vents. Where does the rain go

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't mind if they do dumb down the wheels to 18's.
Old 3/24/05, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Robert+March 24, 2005, 6:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ March 24, 2005, 6:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SVTJayC@March 24, 2005, 4:37 PM
I "hear" that hood might not make production.
Welcome to Ford's typical "bait & switch" routine.

The car's already low key enough - lose the hood treatment too, and you can kiss many buyers good-bye, I'll wager. They're already going to "dumb-down" the wheels to 18".
[/b][/quote]
Hmmmm; can we say GT Polished Running Pony Engine Cover????
Old 3/25/05, 05:59 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also like to see louvers or scoops for the quarter windows
I love the scoops on the 67-68 GT500's, but I don't think a modern car needs to have hot air extracted from the cockpit. And then there is the obstructed view thing. Functional rear brake scoops would be nice, otherwise I am completely satisfied with the hood, front end, rear (maybe integrate the ducktail a little more) and emblems. I would probably pass on the upper body stripes, undecided on the side stripes though.
Old 3/25/05, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by V10@March 24, 2005, 8:54 PM
Those vents are perfect for heat extraction.
Most so called hood scoops are abosolutely useless as they are in the completely wrong position for air intake, including the Mach 1 shaker.

At the front of the hood there is a low pressure area as air flows up over the leading edge of the hood. The vents in the GT-500 show car would s*u*c*k air through the radiator and improve cooling due to the low presure area above them. Look at a 1966 Ford GT race car. They have the same sort of vents.

If you really want air to go into the engine the 2 places to put the intake are either in the grille or at the BACK of the hood, near the cowl, NOT in the middle of the hood (like a Mach 1 shaker). The Mach 1 shaker is all for show, it has NO effect on performance.
I do agree the GT500 vents appear to be set for heat extraction, but I don't agree the Mach 1's shaker has no effect.

According to Scott Hoag, former Mach 1 program manager, they tested prototypes with the shaker blocked and unblocked and saw increases in 1/4 mile times and speeds (.2 sec and 2-2.5 mph). He acknowledges this is not the most scientific method to validate the function, but they would not have put the shaker on the car if they could not claim some actual performance benefit. As a side note, you clearly hear an induction sound when accelerating near 80 mph.

Sorry for the off-topic banter...I hope the GT500 vents are left alone!
Old 3/25/05, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by S197Cobra@March 24, 2005, 7:56 PM

And while we're at it, let's change the iron block to aluminum, make the body from titanium to save weight, give it a SMG tranny, optional IRS, and rocket motors.

Dave
The block is iron so it can handle the stress of the blower. I know the one in the GT (40) was aluminum, but it was also more expensive to produce.... at least hit has the forged crank and pistons and the H-beam rods.... this motor will handle mods, such as a pulley change for more boost, where at with the GTs 4.6 3V.... you're pretty much limited to 8 psi w/o an bottom end build. The motor in the GT500 is capable of well over 500 hp w/o tearing it appart..... so, I'm not complaining about the iron block... good times.

If the hood doesn't stay, I sure hope they trade it out for the one on the concept .... with the ram air scoops instead of the heat extractors.... the '68 had the ram air scoops, as well as heat vents on the rear towards the cowel.... so, since going retro seems to be the theme.... go with the ram air.
I'm willing to bet that the ram air scoops drop the emissions numbers too low... at least if they're functional, because the cooler air will produce more hydrocarbons..... but that's just a bad guess, so... we'll see.
Old 3/25/05, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

People forget things fast. Everyone was up in arms about the 03 cobra going to an Iron block. People were saying it would handle horrible. It would hurt performance. Etc.

It turned out to be the best handling, braking, and one of the fastest mustangs ever. Anyone that has driven an 03/04 cobra, and I imagine this shelby, wont even know the iron block is there or feel any extra weight in the car.
Old 3/25/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

The GT500 needs nothing , except 1/4 window louvres MRT style, and those rims are ugly, need the 18" Fans like was promised in 05(not). They should be an offered option and not restrict us to one rim style(too spindley looking) I am not a big fan of the GT with the big "fogs". I drove it both at & mt and it was OK but not enough. I will preorder a GT500 only thing is I want a firm bottom line price before I plunk down the benjamins. I am wondering if when it comes in if the dealer will jack the price up??
Old 3/25/05, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys kill me. This thing's got probably close to 500 horses when all is said and done, and you want MORE power? Whaddya gonna do with that extra 75 horsepower when you get it?

Might kill yourself faster, I suppose. If it ain't fast enough for you as is, you seriously need to consider therapy.

Personally, I wouldn't dare modify any new Mustang with the name "Shelby" on it. That'd be like sticking a fart can and a whale tail on a GT supercar. How many "modded" '67 and '68 Shelbys do you see on the Barrett Jackson auction block? None.
Old 3/25/05, 05:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@March 25, 2005, 6:38 PM
You guys kill me. This thing's got probably close to 500 horses when all is said and done, and you want MORE power? Whaddya gonna do with that extra 75 horsepower when you get it?

Might kill yourself faster, I suppose. If it ain't fast enough for you as is, you seriously need to consider therapy.

Personally, I wouldn't dare modify any new Mustang with the name "Shelby" on it. That'd be like sticking a fart can and a whale tail on a GT supercar. How many "modded" '67 and '68 Shelbys do you see on the Barrett Jackson auction block? None.
It's amazing that just the name of a car will cause someone to mod it or not. If this exact car was named an SVT Cobra, would have the same opinion? Most people buying cars today will sell it in a few years anyway.
Old 3/25/05, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Robert@March 25, 2005, 6:38 PM

Putting on Flame Proof suit.

I think many people are over estimating Shelbys direct involvement of the car. Its a product he recieved money for so they could use his name and give it an appearance package.

It is very similar in execution to the 03/04 cobras and what most of us expected for the next cobra even before Ford paid shelby for his name. Ford just liscensed the Shelby name and used it for the car for obvious reasons. Its not like the Shelbys of the past days where he had his hands in the car.

The Shelby part is pure appearance, the car itself is pure SVT Ford engineering. Its built by SVT engineers who know far more about the mustang these days than Shelby would. As such, modifying it would be similar to modifying a previous generation cobra, mach 1, or other special edition or appearance package.

Shelby is a great guy, has an interesting story, and is important to automotive history. He did great wonders with the mustangs of the 1960's so dont go taking this personally.
Old 3/25/05, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

I want that hood on my car. Painted to match my car of course.
Old 3/26/05, 05:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by new22003+March 25, 2005, 7:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new22003 @ March 25, 2005, 7:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@March 25, 2005, 6:38 PM

Putting on Flame Proof suit.

I think many people are over estimating Shelbys direct involvement of the car. Its a product he recieved money for so they could use his name and give it an appearance package.

It is very similar in execution to the 03/04 cobras and what most of us expected for the next cobra even before Ford paid shelby for his name. Ford just liscensed the Shelby name and used it for the car for obvious reasons. Its not like the Shelbys of the past days where he had his hands in the car.

The Shelby part is pure appearance, the car itself is pure SVT Ford engineering. Its built by SVT engineers who know far more about the mustang these days than Shelby would. As such, modifying it would be similar to modifying a previous generation cobra, mach 1, or other special edition or appearance package.

Shelby is a great guy, has an interesting story, and is important to automotive history. He did great wonders with the mustangs of the 1960's so dont go taking this personally.
[/b][/quote]
I agree with everything you said above - though I suspect ole Shelby had at least a little input into the "process" - remember he said he's been dealing with the SVT guys for many years now.

And at the end of the day, it says "Shelby" on it. This run - however long it lasts - will be the last chance anyone has to own a contemporary Shelby Stang. And 40 years from now - if you choose to keep it - no one will worry about precisely "how much" input Carroll had, they'll only care that it has the Shelby name on it. I for one plan on keeping mine permanently and keeping the miles as low as my self control will allow.