Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Question about Saleen Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 05:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Saleen Mustangs

Road & Track tested the '05 Saleen S281 3-Valve and it was a tick slower than a base Mustang GT. Yet the Saleen costs about $15k more. Why do people buy this Saleen? Is it because of its unique appearance, exclusivity, prestige of ownership, factory warranty on the mods or other reasons?

I want to buy a new Mustang GT, but a Ford salesman wanted to sell me a leftover Saleen. I understand the bang-for-the-buck value of the Mustang GT, but I don't understand the reason for buying a Saleen S281. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 1/29/07, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If memory serves w/o the supercharger Saleens weight more than Base GTs (thank you extra body kit left over from the S7)... thus go slower. Add the big bad Saleen Supercharger however and the story changes... but you pay for that. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Saleens stylings (save the Parnelli Jones) but there are folks out there who likes them, else they won't sell.
Old 1/29/07, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I love the Saleens. The SCs are awesome, but too $. I perfer the Roush S3 over all of them, including the GT500, however, costly as well. Get the GT... you will not be disappointed
Old 1/29/07, 09:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I've never been a fan of the roush's, because it seems they just "add on" body pieces, vs. saleen, who actually "replaces" pieces (ie-bumpers). Now, this was my view with the SN95's. But, I am not a big fan of the S197 saleen in terms of it being a "mustang" because there is nothing retro on the car anymore. It looks great, but it doesn't look like a mustang.
Old 1/29/07, 09:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Also, Saleen's quality on the S197's is pretty poor:

--The side skirts don't fit well into the fender well (there is about 1/2" to 1" of gap to allow for variances in length).
--The louvered headrests are bent on at least 70% of saleens that I see.
--The pedals that they use are cheap plastic
--The front bumper just "covers up" the factory turn signal
--The rear blackout just covers up one of the taillights (leaving 2 bars instead of 3)
--The Saleen emblem in the steering wheel is just stuck on with double face tape, and from what I read, comes off pretty easily
--Their "short throw shifter" is just a shifter adapter block, not an entire shifter assembly
--Their customer service is hit or miss if you try ordering something from them

But, there are some nice things about it:
++Their shifter adapter, for the price in the aftermarket, is a really good bang for the buck mod.
++Their shifter **** is awesome and very well made
++Their exhaust set-up is pretty sweet
++They have some awesome HID's (The only issue is that they make the fogs look even bigger when retro-fitted to a GT)
++Their instrument cluster is pretty neat
++Their suspension is probably second to none

Those are my observations regarding saleens. Not trying to bash anyone with one, as I think that they are pretty neat. But, for the money, I think that they could have done better assembly of the cars
Old 1/30/07, 07:01 AM
Banned

Just Build Your Own!

I took the path less traveled and build my own Saleen Clone. You can have the performance without the big price. My 05 GT was origionally 27K and I worked out package deals on Ebay for the Saleen Supercharger, Body Kit, Vented Hood, Wheels, Interior Panels, Exhaust and More for around 8,000 dollars including painting. I saved lots by doing the labor myself. The exhaust was used but like new as were the wheels. I then spent 4,000 dollars for the all glass roof. Most 3v Saleens sell for about 39-43K and I built a supercharged one with a glass roof for 39K! I still need to get the suspension though. I think that many people buy Saleens for the cool factor and they get something exclusive. Is it really worth the price? I don't know. I do know that many more people are making Shelby clones than Saleen Clones so I guess I still have some exclusiveness.
Old 1/30/07, 07:02 AM
Banned

Just Build Your Own!

I took the path less traveled and build my own Saleen Clone. You can have the performance without the big price. My 05 GT was origionally 27K and I worked out package deals on Ebay for the Saleen Supercharger, Body Kit, Vented Hood, Wheels, Interior Panels, Exhaust and More for around 8,000 dollars including painting. I saved lots by doing the labor myself. The exhaust was used but like new as were the wheels. I then spent 4,000 dollars for the all glass roof. Most 3v Saleens sell for about 39-43K and I built a supercharged one with a glass roof for 39K! I still need to get the suspension though. I think that many people buy Saleens for the cool factor and they get something exclusive. Is it really worth the price? I don't know. I do know that many more people are making Shelby clones than Saleen Clones so I guess I still have some exclusiveness.
Old 1/30/07, 07:07 AM
Cobra R Member

The only thing is that factory saleens have better resale value.

But, you may still end up cheaper by doing your own clone, especially if you do the labor yourself. Then, if/when its time to sell, you may get less, but you have spent less too.

Also, because you have done the labor yourself, you have probably done a better job on it than Saleen anyway, because you can take your time making sure everything fits properly.
Old 2/19/07, 04:15 PM
GT Member

My Saleen adaptation

I agree with a little of everyone. I wanted the Saleen suspesion as my basic package, the SC with JDM tune, as well as the Saleen SC dash guages, and the shifter peice really tightens up from the stock throw. Plus the Saleen logo replacing the GT logo.

I wanted to stay with the stock dressed up look with the painted mirror inserts, the shorty antenna, the nice wide chrome bullit wheels with rear locking authentic pony spinners, Borla rear exhaust , Nitto summer tires.

I'm going to add the minimal Legend front chin splitter to slightly beef up the front subtley. Now for some brakes as well. Erik
Attached Thumbnails Question about Saleen Mustangs-eriksmstng02a.jpg   Question about Saleen Mustangs-eriksmstngrecent03.jpg   Question about Saleen Mustangs-eriksmstngrecent05.jpg  
Old 2/20/07, 06:38 PM

I'm a first-time poster and thought I'd weigh in, since I own an '06 supercharged convertible (#1170).

Buying the 3-valve gives you a unique looking, limited edition (less than 2,000 built per year), vehicle with improved suspension and a factory warranty. Is it worth another $10-15k? That's up to you. You can usually find used n/a Saleens with less than 5k miles on Ebay or performanceautosport.com for about the price of a new Mustang GT.

The supercharged versions (mine has over 475hp) offer far more power and lower production numbers (I believe less than 500 built per year). I've driven a Mustang for 17 straight years (an '89 LX 5.0, followed by a '95 GT 5.0), and this Saleen is on an entirely different level than anything I've ever owned. It has exceeded my expectations in every way in terms of performance and looks. Honestly, I believe this is the best looking, best performing 4-seater production convertible you can buy for under $100k.

As for the poor build quality, I don't agree. My Saleen is 7 months old and has about 4k miles and it has held up well with very few problems (most problems I've had were related to the base Mustang GT, not to Saleen's mods). However, Saleens are hand assembled, low production cars. So they are going to have more problems than Honda Civics, which have an annual mass production run of over 250,000.

mikes rx raises some valid points. Below are some of my responses (in bold) to a few of his comments:

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Also, Saleen's quality on the S197's is pretty poor:

--The side skirts don't fit well into the fender well (there is about 1/2" to 1" of gap to allow for variances in length).
--The louvered headrests are bent on at least 70% of saleens that I see.
This was a problem in the early production '05 cars that has been fixed. I have not seen any problems on '06-'07 cars.
--The pedals that they use are cheap plastic
I believe the pedals have aluminum trim. I haven't looked under the face to see what the base of the pedal is. Regardless, it feels very solid.
--The front bumper just "covers up" the factory turn signal
Not sure why this is an issue. The front fascia is entirely different than the stock Mustang, including a different turning light and optional HID headlights.
--The rear blackout just covers up one of the taillights (leaving 2 bars instead of 3)
Again, no sure why this is an issue. The rear looks very different than the stock Mustang.
--The Saleen emblem in the steering wheel is just stuck on with double face tape, and from what I read, comes off pretty easily
Saleen offers a replacement metal emblem that apparently has no fit problems. My emblem is plastic and fits/holds fine.
--Their "short throw shifter" is just a shifter adapter block, not an entire shifter assembly
It feels and works fine, imo.
--Their customer service is hit or miss if you try ordering something from them
I have had excellent response from Saleen corporate.

But, there are some nice things about it:
++Their shifter adapter, for the price in the aftermarket, is a really good bang for the buck mod.
++Their shifter **** is awesome and very well made
++Their exhaust set-up is pretty sweet
My (stock) exhaust note turns heads 1/2 a block away and even sets off car alarms.
++They have some awesome HID's (The only issue is that they make the fogs look even bigger when retro-fitted to a GT)
++Their instrument cluster is pretty neat
++Their suspension is probably second to none
I have seen at least one magazine have a supercharged Saleen run a better track time than a C6 Vette.

Those are my observations regarding saleens. Not trying to bash anyone with one, as I think that they are pretty neat. But, for the money, I think that they could have done better assembly of the cars
Old 3/1/07, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I love the Saleens. The SCs are awesome, but too $. I perfer the Roush S3 over all of them, including the GT500, however, costly as well. Get the GT... you will not be disappointed

Old 3/1/07, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I've never been a fan of the roush's, because it seems they just "add on" body pieces, vs. saleen, who actually "replaces" pieces (ie-bumpers).

Umm.. I think you might want to have another look..

1. Roush front fascia REPLACES stock GT
2. Roush Side skirts REPLACE factory skirts.
3. Roush Seats replace factory seats.
4. Roush guages replace factory guages.
5. Roush suspension replaces factory suspension
6. Roush brakes replace factory brakes (optional)
7. Roush exhaust replaces factory exhaust

The list is a little too long to continue.

But the point is made.
Old 3/1/07, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Hey guys I own a Saleen s281 SC # 06-358 (475 HP+) and I will tell you the Saleen is one of the best cars you can own for the money. I have driven them all Roush, Gt 500, Mustang Gt, and Saleen. Overall for the money the Saleen is the best in my opinion with the Roush a close second. However I caution you before you buy ask yourself what you are buying for. If you are looking for the best overall performance vehicle (VALUE, Performance, handling, and appeal), then the Saleen will blow you away. No doubt the GT 500 pulls harder in a straight line but don't expect to haul that sucker around a track in any quick manner. A Saleen or a Roush will dust that puppy no problem in handling, braking and acceleration category. Case in point low 12s in the 1/4 mile for a Saleen with a good driver stock form. Saleen mustangs are also considered some of the rarest and best documented production vehicles ever produced and they carry there value over the standard mustang GT product. As far as the quality of the product second to none. I have had mine for almost 2 years and the only issue I have had was a the steering wheel badge, and it was a 5 minute fix that Saleen mailed to me. You can call Saleen anytime you want as an owner and talk to a tech who worked on your car, I am not sure of any car company you can do that with. No regrets for me and you have your own SHELBY, CORVETTE, OR LOTUS eater for under MSRP too.
Old 3/6/07, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I use to own a Saleen and my problems with it was in the warranty and lack of service i got; each time i wanted service it was a tug-o-war.

I would not buy one again ... however, the PJ version is excellent because it comes with a 375 HP 5.0 ( no supercharger ). I have become a big fan of naturally asperated motors since my Saleen and wacky SC expierence.

This all comes back to Ford ... will they give us a factory ( OEM ) 6 speed / 32V V8 ( no SC ) that puts out 400 HP? If so, you can have it "Saleened" to have the more agressive look.

Despite my downing on superchargers - I would be open to purchasing a 03/04 Saleen Cobra if any were out there ( since the motor and tranny are Ford ).

I drove the Shelby GT-H for a few days on a trip and i was very impressed with its performance - almost an equal to my memeories of owning my 1999 281SC as far as pickup; so maybe a Shelby GT?

If you can wait ... wait like me for 2008/9
Old 3/7/07, 11:16 AM
Big Falken Tires

I think Saleen's pedal set (which has rubber nobby inserts) is one of the best out there.

As for more weight and a bit slower on the S281 N/A, I would look less at the body kit (is that REALLY going to add that significant an amount of weight to the car??) and more at the 20 inch wheels. There's your difference right there from a stock 05 on light little 17s.......
Old 3/7/07, 01:10 PM
Banned

Be a cloner like me! They sell everything to make a Saleen on Ebay! They even have the warranty books and vehicle guides. I am going for a full Saleenerization but I am not going to try and pass mine off as the real thing.
Old 3/8/07, 12:32 AM
GT Member

Good point you can make a Saleen Clone for about 15,000 to 20,000 depending on how you option it out. The best one I have seen to date was in Texas and the gentleman made a 2006 S281 SC for about $25,000 over his GT price, and It took me about an hour looking closely until I found something missing. Other then that he was spot on from the suspension and supercharger to the stickers and badge plate.
Old 3/8/07, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by NiteHawk422
Good point you can make a Saleen Clone for about 15,000 to 20,000 depending on how you option it out. The best one I have seen to date was in Texas and the gentleman made a 2006 S281 SC for about $25,000 over his GT price, and It took me about an hour looking closely until I found something missing. Other then that he was spot on from the suspension and supercharger to the stickers and badge plate.

Hmmm..OK, so he had 25K in the parts, and he probably paid AT LEAST 25K for the GT when new. Thats a grand total of 52K, and no warranty on a 5K S/C, nor the body parts he installed. Now, I wonder what that car will be worth if he tries to sell it? I can promise you it won't be anywhere near 50K. If he's lucky, he may get 30K. I have seen them on eBay...people don't want a "clone" unless it has a clone price.

On the flip side, thanks to Roush, Steeda, Foose, etc..you can buy a brand new S/C Saleen (a real one) for a lot less than sticker. One just went on Ebay for 48K, out the door with 34 miles on it.

Now..wonder how much it will be worth? Not sure, but my money would be on the "real" Saleen being worth a lot more money in the end. And, you get a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty to boot.

Old 3/8/07, 02:31 PM
Banned

I disagree

[quote=TP121;860548]Hmmm..OK, so he had 25K in the parts, and he probably paid AT LEAST 25K for the GT when new. Thats a grand total of 52K, and no warranty on a 5K S/C, nor the body parts he installed. Now, I wonder what that car will be worth if he tries to sell it? I can promise you it won't be anywhere near 50K. If he's lucky, he may get 30K. I have seen them on eBay...people don't want a "clone" unless it has a clone price.

On the flip side, thanks to Roush, Steeda, Foose, etc..you can buy a brand new S/C Saleen (a real one) for a lot less than sticker. One just went on Ebay for 48K, out the door with 34 miles on it.

Now..wonder how much it will be worth? Not sure, but my money would be on the "real" Saleen being worth a lot more money in the end. And, you get a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty to boot.

I build my clone at a significant savings over a real one and bought the parts off of EBAY to boot. I only spent 14,000 dollars over the price of my GT and I have the supercharger and all glass roof. New Saleen SCs still draw a 62k price tag when they are all decked out and that is without the 1,000 dollar gas guzzler tax that you don't pay when you buy a GT. As for the value they hold in the long term don't believe the hype. 05 Saleen SC's are selling for around 40K but who cares anyway since I wouldn't sell mine if it were a clone or a real one. 36K warranties are jokes and you may as well throw it out the window. Saleen parts are safe otherwise they wouldn't grant a warranty on their cars so using their parts in the same manner as on the real cars is mathematically safe. Realistically speaking I spent nearly 5K for a supercharger to put on an engine that I can buy on Ebay for $2,000 or 2,500 It would be better to blow my engine than ruin the supercharger. Saleen is smart a blower putting out only 4-6 PSI is not very likely to crap itself. I say if you don't plan on selling your car build a clone!
Old 3/8/07, 02:44 PM
Big Falken Tires

[quote=mustang_lurkers;860707]
Originally Posted by TP121
36K warranties are jokes and you may as well throw it out the window.
They are??? Why pay $800 to fix a TSB that the dealer would fix for free if you were under warranty?...

definitely not a 'joke'......

Quick Reply: Question about Saleen Mustangs