Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

New Shelby Tidbit

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/04, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped by a magazine rack yesterday and picked up "Celebrity Cars." While thumbing through it, there was an article on Carroll Shelby. His cars of note were the last 289 Cobra and he also had a red 69 GT 500 coupe. Considering the magazine, the article was actually very good. It talked about the present and past of Shelby and some of the politics of his tenure at Ford. Of interest here is Shelby’s mention of Ford's hiring Bunkey Knudsen and then Ford competing against Shelby internally. Many of us "Old School" enthusiasts know the story all too well.

Concerning the history of the Shelby Mustangs, he said that originally he was tasked with making the Mustang a "Sport Car." From advice from the then head of the SCCA, he upgraded the brakes, took out the back seat, uprated the engine, and improved the steering and suspension. The result was a car that consistently trounced Corvettes. Again, most Old Schoolers know this story as well.

Concerning the 2005 Mustang and variants, he said that he was looking forward to owning a new Mustang. He also thought out loud that he might do another one. He said that they would have to get one and take it apart to see what they could do with it just like the old one.

I hope that Ford leaves him alone this time. Personally, I would love to have the modern equivalent of the early 66 GT 350. This car had the earlier steering geometry modifications, a back seat, and window inserts in the "B" pillar. Still, the car was all business - everything put into and onto the car had a purpose.

Go Shelby Go!!
Old 4/20/04, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me this sounds like they have nothing planned.
Old 4/20/04, 01:59 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@Apr. 20th, 2004, 2:42 PM
To me this sounds like they have nothing planned.
Yah, I wouldn't be expecting a GT350 or GT500 anytime soon. Maybe Ford isn't quite ready to hand a percentage of profit over for the shelby name.

I'd say expect a Cobra, then a Boss. Maybe a Bullitt after that?

Except all after the Cobra and by then, I'll be happily driving my GT. Maybe I'll pickup a 2010?
Old 4/20/04, 02:02 PM

could that be the first thing we see when it's redesigned?
Old 4/20/04, 02:41 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Doesn't anybody read Motortrend?

Could It Happen?

Last summer, Carroll Shelby announced he was going to end his car-building career where it started: with Ford, although he wasn't exactly clear on what that meant. But, as his legacy was established with Cobras and Shelby Mustangs, it's only logical that this reassociation will be founded, at least in the beginning, on the same types of hardware.

Squint at the new Mustang, and it's easy to visualize Shelby GT350 and 500 versions of it. The rear quarter windows are an obvious Shelby cue--that also cured a potentially nasty blind spot--and the new GT wheels resemble the optional Shelby/Crager units available on the original. Our exclusive photo illustration just finishes the job of creating the next Shelby Mustang that we hear Ford is already at work on.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...ang/index4.html
Old 4/20/04, 02:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

We all saw this when it was released. It is a photoshop. I agree, the next SE will be shelby, just a matter of when.
Old 4/20/04, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Not that I don't like MotorTrend, but that means absolutely nothing. All they have said is that "Carrol Shelby is once again having some vague dealings with Ford, and it would not be outlandish to expect a Cobra roadster and Mustang"
Nowhere does it say, you will get a Shelby Mustang in 2006, 2008 etc. Mind you Shelby is like 80 something, so he doesen't have too many years left, but I won't be waiting on one.