The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   HTT Calls IRS Fans 'Snobs' (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/htt-calls-irs-fans-snobs-408894/)

Robert 5/16/05 02:55 PM

There's an interesting quote in this month's issue of Hot Rod magazine devoted to the Shelby (good article, actually). In the piece, Hau Tai Tang is asked about the protestations from enthusiasts and automotive journalists over the lack of an IRS in any of the new Stangs. Tai Tang says: "We'll never appease the IRS snobs."

Not certain if that's a statement of resignation, or a statement of resolve, but I suppose it could be interpreted either way. What's interesting is that they [Ford] apparently view the rest of the world's automakers as "snobs," since pretty much nobody outside Ford use SRA on automobiles anymore.

Also in the piece, he's quoted as saying, "This [the Shelby] won't be a bait-and-switch." Hope he keeps THAT promise.

I also hope that they can strike a balance between decent handling and ride comfort in this car. On a long road trip, I want something that doesn't ride like a horse carriage with a Saturn V rocket strapped to it.

holderca1 5/16/05 03:05 PM

Is "We'll never appease the IRS fans" all he said or did he actually call them snobs?

68notch 5/16/05 03:07 PM

He uses the term "snobs." It rocked.

1 COBRA 5/16/05 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Robert@May 16, 2005, 4:58 PM
... Tai Tang says: "We'll never appease the IRS snobs."

He is not too far from the truth.

Robert 5/16/05 03:14 PM

Originally posted by holderca1@May 16, 2005, 3:08 PM
Is "We'll never appease the IRS fans" all he said or did he actually call them snobs?

My typing mistake. He said, "We'll never appease the IRS snobs."

Robert 5/16/05 03:15 PM

Originally posted by 68notch@May 16, 2005, 3:10 PM
He uses the term "snobs." It rocked.

Uh-huh.

holderca1 5/16/05 03:31 PM

Actually it's a pretty accurate statement.

rhumb 5/16/05 04:21 PM

Oh my, HTT seems a bit defensive now.

I always wondered, what if the GT500 showed up with a carburator instead of a modern FI on the 5.4, would the corner carvers be excused for lambasting the drag queens as FI snobs for just wanting hi-tech for bragging rights, the old-tech carb is good enough, anyone who drives so fast on public roads that they need that extra 100hp FI would get them is nuts, FI would cost an extra $xxx that could be used for better shocks and brakes, and all the comparable dissing us IRS proponents have been getting heaped on us.

While the straight line flatlanders have, for the most part, been rather dismissive of the concerns of us corner carver GT types over the log axle, imagine the shoe being on the other foot and finding some old-tech carb on the GT500 instead of the state of the art FI system it does have and the howls of protest you'd be raising over that -- a situation, I think, that would be comparable to how the IRS fans now feel.

Robert 5/16/05 04:46 PM

FlatLANDERS may soon become flatLINERS if Ford isn't careful.

Robert 5/16/05 04:54 PM

Originally posted by rhumb@May 16, 2005, 4:24 PM
Oh my, HTT seems a bit defensive now.

I always wondered, what if the GT500 showed up with a carburator instead of a modern FI on the 5.4, would the corner carvers be excused for lambasting the drag queens as FI snobs for just wanting hi-tech for bragging rights, the old-tech carb is good enough, anyone who drives so fast on public roads that they need that extra 100hp FI would get them is nuts, FI would cost an extra $xxx that could be used for better shocks and brakes, and all the comparable dissing us IRS proponents have been getting heaped on us.

While the straight line flatlanders have, for the most part, been rather dismissive of the concerns of us corner carver GT types over the log axle, imagine the shoe being on the other foot and finding some old-tech carb on the GT500 instead of the state of the art FI system it does have and the howls of protest you'd be raising over that -- a situation, I think, that would be comparable to how the IRS fans now feel.

If the SRA vs. IRS poll on this website is any indication, it's clear that Ford is siding with the drag racing crowd because that appears to be what THEY want, and Ford considers that group to be their core demographic to this day. So given that, and the obvious cost savings incurred by utilizing the buggy axle, I guess it was a pretty simple decision for the bean counters on Mahogany Row.

Trouble is, as a litmus test of corporate culture, it tells me that Ford's North American division is either unwilling or unable to compete with global products.

Evil_Capri 5/16/05 05:15 PM

I was a little surprised when I read that article and his comments. I don't think he was being 100% malicious, but nontheless I was surprised. I love M3's, M5's, etc. . . .so am I a snob?!

Burke0011 5/16/05 06:01 PM

I truly think he was referring to IRS snobs as a group WITHIN IRS fans......

Some IRS fans will be okay/deal with the live axle.... but there will be some who won't no matter what he says and I think that is who he is referring to.

200mphcobra 5/16/05 06:16 PM

It will be interesting to see the road test in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords in, say, 2008, of the IRS equipped Cobra vs a (non ragged out) 2006 GT 500.

Robert 5/16/05 06:24 PM

The simple truth is that the tree log is as antiquated as carburetors, push rods and wind-up windows - actually, it even predates those! And yet Ford is pretty much the only hold-out still using it in a passenger car.

There's just no good argument for SRA aside from cost savings.

I mean, as an example, no-one here is advocating giving up computers and going back to smoke signals, are they?

Or how 'bout giving up color TV and going back to B&W?

Or how 'bout giving up automated digital cameras and going back to manual film cameras with manual wind and handheld exposure meters?

No manufacturer could get away with doing this in any other sector or they would shortly go out of business...and yet that is exactly what Ford is doing here. Hmmmmm...and Ford is losing money. Is there a possible corollary here? Hello?! McFly?!!

Boomer 5/16/05 06:44 PM

Fact, no one has driven it, who are complaining.
And with the ammount of people that WILL buy this car, its a selling point for a MINUTE ammount of those people. And because of the car, those peoples spots will be filled if they decide to 'I'm the customer I want this, or i'll leave' attitude.

Do you honestly think that the 'x' number of people that will say 'it sucks, I want IRS' are going to make a dent? vs the ammount of people that will flock to this car if it comes out with 450+ (500HP) and the shelby name? If so, give your head a shake.

They will sell, it will outpeform the previous generation, and be one of the most bad hiney cars on the market for the given pricepoint.

Its like the same people who say 300hp isn't enough in the GT.
Funny, they are still selling.
Or people who say 210hp V6 isn't enough....
funny, they are still selling..
..insert another gripe here...
but they are still selling....

I agree with Hau.
Some peoples minds will NEVER change regardless how well it will handle or perform. And most will do this blindly without even getting a hands on experience with the product they are bashing....

V10 5/16/05 06:53 PM

So why did Ford bother to put IRS on the old Cobra if IRS is so useless?

Why did Ford bother to put IRS on SUV's like the Expedition?

Why does the 500, Montego, Fusion, Milan & Zephyr have IRS. Wouldn't a solid axle be just as good if not better?

Seems like HTT and Ford are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Robert 5/16/05 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Boomer@May 16, 2005, 6:47 PM
Fact, no one has driven it, who are complaining.
And with the ammount of people that WILL buy this car, its a selling point for a MINUTE ammount of those people. And because of the car, those peoples spots will be filled if they decide to 'I'm the customer I want this, or i'll leave' attitude.

Do you honestly think that the 'x' number of people that will say 'it stinks, I want IRS' are going to make a dent? vs the ammount of people that will flock to this car if it comes out with 450+ (500HP) and the shelby name? If so, give your head a shake.

They will sell, it will outpeform the previous generation, and be one of the most bad hiney cars on the market for the given pricepoint.

Its like the same people who say 300hp isn't enough in the GT.
Funny, they are still selling.
Or people who say 210hp V6 isn't enough....
funny, they are still selling..
..insert another gripe here...
but they are still selling....

I agree with Hau.
Some peoples minds will NEVER change regardless how well it will handle or perform. And most will do this blindly without even getting a hands on experience with the product they are bashing....

Four things:

1. The rest of the automotive world is using IRS for a REASON. Not because it's cool, or trendy, or cute, or popular, or "snobbish," but because they all know it offers superior dynamics and the ideal blend of ride quality and handling prowess. Apparently Ford's arrogance is so unchecked they think they can rewrite the laws of physics. Good luck.

2. Ignore customers and the marketplace at one's own peril, I say.

3. Ford is losing money and losing sales to the imports and it's not just forces beyond their control. Based upon HTT's comments, I'm forced to conclude that it's also because of a Pleistocene attitude. It seems that Ford and Mr. Tai Tang do not suffer fools gladly.

4. Finally, short terms benefits (sales) do not necessarily equal long-term growth. History has demonstrated that in an active marketplace economic darwinism rules supreme.

KansasCityTim 5/16/05 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Robert@May 16, 2005, 7:10 PM
Four things:

1. The rest of the automotive world is using IRS for a REASON. Not because it's cool, or trendy, or cute, or popular, or "snobbish," but because they all know it offers superior dynamics and the ideal blend of ride quality and handling prowess. Apparently Ford's arrogance is so unchecked they think they can rewrite the laws of physics. Good luck.

2. Ignore customers and the marketplace at one's own peril, I say.

3. Ford is losing money and losing sales to the imports and it's not just forces beyond their control. Based upon HTT's comments, I'm forced to conclude that it's also because of a Pleistocene attitude. It seems that Ford and Mr. Tai Tang do not suffer fools gladly.

4. Finally, short terms benefits (sales) do not necessarily equal long-term growth. History has demonstrated that in an active marketplace economic darwinism rules supreme.

So then....stop complaining and don't buy a Ford. Instead of b***hing on here, speak with your wallet and take the "future GT500" off your avatar. I mean, this whole IRS v. SRA thing is old. Just don't buy one. Go buy a BMW, Benz, or any other car with IRS. Complaining does nothing. Take action, and the only action to be taken is boycott Ford. Frankly, I am sure the rest of us that are tired of hearing from the IRA "snobs" won't miss you.

Joes66Pony 5/16/05 07:19 PM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 16, 2005, 7:17 PM
So then....stop complaining and don't buy a Ford. Instead of b***hing on here, speak with your wallet and take the "future GT500" off your avatar. I mean, this whole IRS v. SRA thing is old. Just don't buy one. Go buy a BMW, Benz, or any other car with IRS. Complaining does nothing. Take action, and the only action to be taken is boycott Ford. Frankly, I am sure the rest of us that are tired of hearing from the IRA "snobs" won't miss you.

This is exactly the same attitude that's leading Ford to massively lose market share and seeing it's stock being reduced to "junk" bond status. The lessons from the 70's obviously haven't been learned.

Robert 5/16/05 07:22 PM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 16, 2005, 7:17 PM

I'll be sure to suggest that they etch the above on Ford's corporate tombstone. :rolleyes:

Here's a suggestion: If you don't like what I have to say...lump it.