Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

How do i get on a list?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/06, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, thats right folks, how does one get on a list for the new Challenger?

I stopped by my dealership and spoke with the vice prez about my status on the GT-500 list (was #4) and was told some pretty upsetting news. Seems Ford can't keep their promise of production numbers and this particular dealership may only get 1 Shelby. Thats right, only 1 and the owner has dibs on it. I'm left wondering what's going on since this very dealership managed 3 Ford GT's. One is in the showroom this minute and just sold to "Ray" (Drummer for Twisted Sister). I'm a lil' bummed out over the whole ordeal and if i can't snag either an '07 or '08 Shelby, then i'm crossing lines over to the Challenger.

Only thing left is deciding between Plum Crazy Purple, Sublime, or Go-Mango.
Old 1/7/06, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Hey,
I like the new challanger as well. It looks like I may even like the Camaro. But as far as the Challanger is concerned, people should understand this will be priced over the Mustang. The Hemi will be priced probably $7000 to $10,000 over a GT. 4200 lb.'s. Ouch. I do hope they change the dashboard on the challanger. I wasn't happy with the interior at all. I still think the Mustang will be the best bank for the buck. Camaro might be priced in the Mustang market though.
Also, this is a FORD forum. If you want to figure out how to get on a list for the Challanger, we can't help you. Start looking at thier sites.
Old 1/7/06, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Route 66@January 7, 2006, 7:26 PM
......Also, this is a FORD forum. If you want to figure out how to get on a list for the Challanger, we can't help you. Start looking at thier sites.
My thread was spewing sarcasm because of my disappointment in the allocation of the GT-500. But on a serious note, if i can't get my dream Shelby, i'm turning to Dodge.
Old 1/7/06, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@January 7, 2006, 6:50 PM

I stopped by my dealership and spoke with the vice prez about my status on the GT-500 list (was #4) and was told some pretty upsetting news. Seems Ford can't keep their promise of production numbers and this particular dealership may only get 1 Shelby. Thats right, only 1 and the owner has dibs on it. I'm left wondering what's going on since this very dealership managed 3 Ford GT's. One is in the showroom this minute and just sold to "Ray" (Drummer for Twisted Sister). I'm a lil' bummed out over the whole ordeal and if i can't snag either an '07 or '08 Shelby, then i'm crossing lines over to the Challenger.

Only thing left is deciding between Plum Crazy Purple, Sublime, or Go-Mango.

I wouldn't get to worried yet. They are still saying around 40K. If they were going to keep production low, why not charge an extra 10K per car. They would still sell a reduced number and make extra $$$, something Ford could use.
Old 1/7/06, 07:40 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Mustang sales already sagging, believe me, Ford will build lots of GT-500s, especially since the GT-500 will be a high profit sale for both Ford and the dealer.

The dealer is probably just throwing you some BS because he thinks that he'll find some sucker to pay $10K over list for your GT-500.

Remember how the Terminator Cobras were in short supply when they came out and a year and a half later there were big discounts & rebates on them (same with Mach 1s).
Old 1/7/06, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by V10@January 7, 2006, 8:43 PM
With Mustang sales already sagging, believe me, Ford will build lots of GT-500s, especially since the GT-500 will be a high profit sale for both Ford and the dealer.

The dealer is probably just throwing you some BS because he thinks that he'll find some sucker to pay $10K over list for your GT-500.

Remember how the Terminator Cobras were in short supply when they came out and a year and a half later there were big discounts & rebates on them (same with Mach 1s).
While i completely understand what you're saying, it just isn't the case here. The person i'm "ordering" the car through is a personal friend of mine. He's just passing along information that was told to him. I'm hoping he's wrong of course.
Old 1/7/06, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@January 7, 2006, 6:50 PM

This is an interesting question to some, however, you might have noticed this is a Ford/Mustang forum?
Old 1/7/06, 08:16 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by FiaCobra@January 7, 2006, 7:48 PM
While i completely understand what you're saying, it just isn't the case here. The person i'm "ordering" the car through is a personal friend of mine. He's just passing along information that was told to him. I'm hoping he's wrong of course.
Friendships tend to end where $$ begins. I'd look to another dealership. Just because one dealer can't get you a Shelby is not the same as saying you can't get a Shelby.
Old 1/7/06, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by slammer223+January 7, 2006, 9:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slammer223 @ January 7, 2006, 9:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>This is an interesting question to some, however, you might have noticed this is a Ford/Mustang forum?
[/b]

Perhaps you missed the part where i said this thread was spewing of sarcasm

<!--QuoteBegin-FiaCobra
@January 7, 2006, 7:46 PM
My thread was spewing sarcasm because of my disappointment in the allocation of the GT-500. But on a serious note, if i can't get my dream Shelby, i'm turning to Dodge.
[/quote]

And as for my friend at the dealership trying to make a buck or two at our "friendships" expense, i'm not buying it. Just because some greedy people would do that, my friend isn't one of them.
Old 1/8/06, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think your friend is trying to make a buck off of you but I would not put it past for his boss to tell him slightly incorrect information. That would free up a "slot" for someone willing to pay over MSRP.

... and I got the sarcasm.

Old 1/8/06, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

While it was clearly sarcasm, it does have reality behind it. I had a bad experience with a local dealership. Left a deposit, was gaurenteed msrp #1 on the list blah blah blah..... Then I get a call, oh we've decided to auction it off, here is your deposit back.

Absolutely ticked me off. I went ahead and bought an 05 gt and I'm enjoying it. But, I would absolutely consider the challenger or a really great camaro. I've never never never driven chevys or mopar, but I too feel a little taken for granted by my dealership. There is clearly no loyalty FROM them, which limits my loyalty TO them.

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Further the fact that Dodge and Chevy are talking credible competition will hopefully make ford wake up and smell the coffee.

Get you act together FORD (and especially ford dealerships) We love you, but we won't be taken for granted. There are other fish in the sea. Fish.....ummm I wonder if there will be a baracuda or stingray....hey a mako?
Old 1/8/06, 02:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by eric n@January 8, 2006, 10:49 AM
While it was clearly sarcasm, it does have reality behind it. I had a bad experience with a local dealership. Left a deposit, was gaurenteed msrp #1 on the list blah blah blah..... Then I get a call, oh we've decided to auction it off, here is your deposit back.

Absolutely ticked me off. I went ahead and bought an 05 gt and I'm enjoying it. But, I would absolutely consider the challenger or a really great camaro. I've never never never driven chevys or mopar, but I too feel a little taken for granted by my dealership. There is clearly no loyalty FROM them, which limits my loyalty TO them.
I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Further the fact that Dodge and Chevy are talking credible competition will hopefully make ford wake up and smell the coffee.

Get you act together FORD (and especially ford dealerships) We love you, but we won't be taken for granted. There are other fish in the sea. Fish.....ummm I wonder if there will be a baracuda or stingray....hey a mako?

My advice is to go to another fish (dealership) instead of the one you are having issues with now. I have been in contact with no less than three about the Shelby for quite some time now. I'm hoping one of them can set me up with one...at a decent price. I think the one Brad set me up with will deal to my satisfaction.

...but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 1/8/06, 03:35 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@January 7, 2006, 8:48 PM
Been thinking about it and maybe your friend is correct, Ford is going to build fewer GT-500s than originally planned.

Look at it this way, Mustang sales are already sagging, Ford had to offer big rebates to clear out all the Terminator Cobras & Mach 1s, Ford GTs are starting to stack up on dealer lots unsold and there appears to be lots of competition coming, Challenger & Camaro. So maybe Ford is lowering their GT-500 sales projections.
Old 1/10/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Umm, I think your logic is backwards, respectfully. Since Mustang sales are in retreat, they will have the extra capacity to produce Shelbys. The whole reason that the SVT Fusion was delayed was because that line was at capacity, so they delayed it for later when "sales started sagging". Just what I heard. Who knows. Ford should realize that their customer will not wait around forever. And with their recent sales figures, they cannot afford to lose 1 faithful customer. My .02
Old 1/10/06, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by V10@January 8, 2006, 5:38 PM
Been thinking about it and maybe your friend is correct, Ford is going to build fewer GT-500s than originally planned.

Look at it this way, Mustang sales are already sagging, Ford had to offer big rebates to clear out all the Terminator Cobras & Mach 1s, Ford GTs are starting to stack up on dealer lots unsold and there appears to be lots of competition coming, Challenger & Camaro. So maybe Ford is lowering their GT-500 sales projections.
I spoke to SVT today about this. They told me 7000-9000 current plan. They will do up to 13,000 if indicated.

So let's stop getting into an internet hype feeding frenzy. There will be cars available.
Old 1/10/06, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@January 10, 2006, 3:26 PM
I spoke to SVT today about this. They told me 7000-9000 current plan. They will do up to 13,000 if indicated.

So let's stop getting into an internet hype feeding frenzy. There will be cars available.
I don't understand this 13,000 number. We are obviously getting conflicting stories. In the past we heard they'll build as many as demanded. Great. Then we hear about the two per dealership bit and an extra for hitting certain goals. That would bite. Now we hear what you just heard from SVT. That would be great. Which is it FORD. Because if my dealership tells me they're getting three in and have a list of 20 people wanting one, they'll sell it to the highest bidder. I don't blame them for selling it to the highest bidder. But if my dealership comes out and says we have the potential of getting 15 to 20, there goes the bidding wars down the drain for the dealerships (except for those wanting the first and second one). I don't want the dealerships playing the bidding war game if they know they'll have more available, but don't tell us that. So I wish FORD would give us an idea and $$$$ amount. Anyway, I'm only rambling here

PS,
You know there is a new Shelby GT500 out when Crazyhorse's avatar changes more often than our topics being moved by moderators.
Old 1/10/06, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Route 66@January 10, 2006, 6:02 PM
I don't understand this 13,000 number. We are obviously getting conflicting stories. In the past we heard they'll build as many as demanded. Great. Then we hear about the two per dealership bit and an extra for hitting certain goals. That would bite. Now we hear what you just heard from SVT. That would be great. Which is it FORD. Because if my dealership tells me they're getting three in and have a list of 20 people wanting one, they'll sell it to the highest bidder. I don't blame them for selling it to the highest bidder. But if my dealership comes out and says we have the potential of getting 15 to 20, there goes the bidding wars down the drain for the dealerships (except for those wanting the first and second one). I don't want the dealerships playing the bidding war game if they know they'll have more available, but don't tell us that. So I wish FORD would give us an idea and $$$$ amount. Anyway, I'm only rambling here

PS,
You know there is a new Shelby GT500 out when Crazyhorse's avatar changes more often than our topics being moved by moderators.
I think you answered your own question. SVT has never said only 2 or 3 per dealer. The letter is about minimums per dealer. The share of nation part at the bottom are all of the rest of the cars that will be distributed to the dealerships based on their prior Mustang sales.

Of course, the dealerships are going to tell you that to get a sales frenzy going.

I changed the avatar to the white and blue car the other day because that is what I want. Then a good friend of mine got me an autographed pic of the white/blue. It is autographed by Carroll Shelby and a scan of it is now my avatar.

Old 1/10/06, 05:35 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Route 66@January 10, 2006, 5:02 PM
Then we hear about the two per dealership bit and an extra for hitting certain goals.
There are about 5,000 Ford dealers in the US.
So 2 per dealer is 10K add some extras for the big dealers and you get to 13K.

If Ford really makes 13K / year, the first year will sell out, but by the middle of the 2nd year, there will be lots of them sitting on dealer lots.
Old 1/10/06, 05:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by V10@January 10, 2006, 7:38 PM
There are about 5,000 Ford dealers in the US.
So 2 per dealer is 10K add some extras for the big dealers and you get to 13K.

If Ford really makes 13K / year, the first year will sell out, but by the middle of the 2nd year, there will be lots of them sitting on dealer lots.
How many of those don't want a GT500? Small towns? truck only dealerships? non-presidents award dealers?

They will have to pay a certification fee. A lot of those little dealers aren't going to pay that unless they have a buyer at hand willing to pay enough over sticker to warrant the cost of certifying. Now it starts to increase on a per dealer basis.
Old 1/10/06, 06:32 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@January 10, 2006, 8:47 PM
How many of those don't want a GT500? Small towns? truck only dealerships? non-presidents award dealers?
3 out of 5 dealers near where I live mainly sell trucks and SUVs, with the other two are presently well stocked with GTs. I would be surprised if more than 40% of the USA Ford dealers have a market for SVT products.

Quick Reply: How do i get on a list?