Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Hi I am New Here!

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I am new here, I want to get the Shelby GT500...

My dealer says if I put down a non-refundable 5K now he will sell the GT500 to me at MSRP plus the 5K I put down.

He said there is no other way I am going to get it.

Does anyone know what the MSRP is going to be... The dealer said it was not released yet.

Should I accept his offer?
Old 6/7/05, 12:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MSRP has not been released, the actual car hasn't even been unveiled yet either. I don't see why you wouldn't want to accept his offer, I doubt you would get one for under MSRP.
Old 6/7/05, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by holderca1@June 7, 2005, 12:03 PM
The MSRP has not been released, the actual car hasn't even been unveiled yet either. I don't see why you wouldn't want to accept his offer, I doubt you would get one for under MSRP.

Are you being serious, or just joking?
Old 6/7/05, 12:56 PM

What part do you think I am joking about?
Old 6/7/05, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by holderca1@June 7, 2005, 12:59 PM
What part do you think I am joking about?

I have NEVER payed over MSRP for a car before.

Do u really think that is a good deal? The dealer is going to be making aout 10K off of me...

If it was you would you do it?
Old 6/7/05, 12:59 PM

You said in the original post that you would be paying MSRP, did I miss something?
Old 6/7/05, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Holder they want him to buy it at msrp after he puts the 5 grand down up front. He's basically paying the markup up front. I think that sounds dumb. You'll be able to find one when they come out for a marked up price....no use in blowing five large now. don't do it
Old 6/7/05, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by holderca1@June 7, 2005, 1:02 PM
You said in the original post that you would be paying MSRP, did I miss something?
yes... the dealer is also going to be keeping the 5K I put down now. That will not be used toward the car.

Its just money in his pocket to ensure I will get mine..

Do u think I should take the deal?
Old 6/7/05, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the first year they are out you will have trouble finding it without a markup but if your patient then you should be fine. But even if you're willing to put up an extra 5 grand there is no reason you should do it now. If your willing to pay 5,000 over sticker you'll find one somewhere. don't worry about not gettign one.
Old 6/7/05, 01:04 PM

Oh okay, I misunderstood, I thought you said that the $5k downpayment would go towards the car.
Old 6/7/05, 01:35 PM
I talk to cones.

I personnally think that the GT500 will be going for Corvette like prices for several reasons.

1 Everyone wants one, I know atleast five people I work with that are saying they are going to buy one.

2 Only like 3000 will be made the first year, from what I have heard.

3 The regular GTs are being marked up.

Bottom line is if you want one, get in line ASAP, be willing to pay an overly high price for it, and don't be pissed when you find out fords not making a whole lot of them.

Robertt if you can afford paying that much for the car, at 5k over you will probably get one at about average market price if anything it may be on the cheap side.

Just make sure the deposite is refundable for a multitude of reasons. The dealer doesn't even know when or if they are going to get one yet.

Yes there will be good dealers that sell them at MSRP, but not many so don't hold you breath.

My .02
Old 6/7/05, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just don't trust the dealer too much. I mean if you want the car I guarantee you are going to have to pay out the nose for it but just keep a receipt and get it in writing that they are going to sell you the car when it comes in. I put down $1000 on my GT last year and when it came in they mailed me the check back and said they lost the order. I went down to the dealer and saw my car there with an $8k markup. They were trying to get a better deal. I showed them the signed paper work, threatened to call my lawyer and they sold it to me.
It's your decision if you want to pay that much over sticker but if you decide to do that then make sure you get something signed!
Old 6/7/05, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by softbatch@June 7, 2005, 2:38 PM
I personnally think that the GT500 will be going for Corvette like prices for several reasons.

1 Everyone wants one, I know atleast five people I work with that are saying they are going to buy one.

2 Only like 3000 will be made the first year, from what I have heard.

3 The regular GTs are being marked up.

1.) I don't think there's as much demand as you think. On these boards it's easy to believe that everyone wants one but look at the past. The 03/04 Cobras had similar hype and after 1 year were going for invoice + $500. Wait 3-6 months and you should be able to pick one up at MSRP (or less).

2.) 7000+ units/year will be made for, what I've heard, will be 3 years. Ford has stated that they will build as many as needed. So we could see more than 7000 units/year.

3.) Edmunds has MSRP listed as the true market value. I haven't tried to price a new GT but I bet, with a little effort, one could find one at MSRP.
Old 6/7/05, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat@June 7, 2005, 3:22 PM
1.) I don't think there's as much demand as you think. On these boards it's easy to believe that everyone wants one but look at the past. The 03/04 Cobras had similar hype and after 1 year were going for invoice + $500. Wait 3-6 months and you should be able to pick on up at MSRP.

2.) 7000+ will be made. Ford has stated that they will build as many as needed. So we could see more than 7000.

3.) Edmunds has MRSP listed as the true market value. I haven't tried to price a new GT but I bet, with a little effort, one could find one at MSRP.
My understanding is that it's 7000-7500 for EACH of two to three years...and there will be convertibles among them too.

Rule of thumb: patience is a virtue. Don't get conned into giving any dealer money up front on a car that hasn't even been finalized yet. If you want one and have the money, you should have two to three years in which to order one. Not every buyer is going to shell out money up front. Why should you? Don't buy into the initial feeding frenzy.

Remember: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Old 6/7/05, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by I8URVTEC@June 7, 2005, 1:48 PM
Just don't trust the dealer too much. I mean if you want the car I guarantee you are going to have to pay out the nose for it but just keep a receipt and get it in writing that they are going to sell you the car when it comes in. I put down $1000 on my GT last year and when it came in they mailed me the check back and said they lost the order. I went down to the dealer and saw my car there with an $8k markup. They were trying to get a better deal. I showed them the signed paper work, threatened to call my lawyer and they sold it to me.
It's your decision if you want to pay that much over sticker but if you decide to do that then make sure you get something signed!
Dude, just the scenario I was about to predict for the guy! I would think twice before doing this, considering they might pull a fast-one on you once they realise the can get double your dp markup.

I hate markups!!!
Old 6/7/05, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't listen to anyone here until the "expert" Iceman comments. This guy knows everything there is to know about the GT-500. I wouldn't do a thing until you consult with him.

Old 6/7/05, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think you will have to give someone an xtra $5000.00 for one. I
Old 6/7/05, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah! Iceman will set you straight. Where are you Iceman?
Old 6/7/05, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford will make as many as they can sell and build.

Putting a 1K downpayment sounds like the norm for a lot of dealers I have talked to but 5K this far in advance seems excessive. It will probably be collecting interest for someone else. Find another dealer and use your money for your own advantage.
Old 6/7/05, 06:48 PM

Is Iceman like the forum clown or somin?