Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

GT500 dealer allocations

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/05, 07:47 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I found this in BON. It might be interesting for those who are not aware of it. Apologies are offered if this topic has been discussed before. Looks like the first year will be difficult to get one.

Shelby Cobra GT500 Dealer Allocation

Darryl B. Hazel Ford Motor Company
email: - -@ford.com Dearborn, Michigan 48126-4207

July 19, 2005

All Ford Division Dealers

Subject: SVT Distribution Plan
The purpose of this communication is to announce the following:
• Revision to the SVT distribution policy
• Allocation plan for the Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500
As we go forward, our goal is to expand our lineup of Ford performance oriented vehicles. One such example is the Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 which is scheduled for production next summer. As we expect to have a strong line-up of performance products in the future, the cadence of these products
necessitates a change to our distribution policy. Accordingly, the Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 and all future products engineered by SVT will be available to all dealers who complete the necessary certification requirements. This will further strengthen the Ford brand by providing us with a greater opportunity to drive showroom traffic by leveraging halo products in all our marketing communications.
This will also help achieve compliance with various state laws by providing all dealers who become certified the opportunity to sell performance oriented vehicles.

Certification Requirements to Sell SVT-Engineered Products
SVT-engineered products will be available to all dealers who complete the certification requirements. A unique certification plan will be announced for each SVT engineered product at a later date. Similar to Escape Hybrid, certification will likely include sales consultant training, technician training and purchase
of special service tools. As in the past, this opportunity will be open to all dealers who enroll in the SVT program and who meet SVT program requirements.

Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 Allocation Plan
Dealers will be required to complete certification requirements to receive any type of allocation for the Shelby Cobra GT500. In recognition of their commitment to the program, current SVT dealers and SVT Focus dealers will receive preferential allocation for the Shelby Cobra GT500 for the first model year.

At current projections, we expect around 7,000 units to be produced for the 2007 model year. Allocation will be as follows:
• Two incremental units for current full-line SVT dealers (605 dealers)
• One incremental unit for SVT Focus-only dealers (700 dealers)
• One unit for any dealer who completes certification requirements
• One unit for 2005 President's Award winners (343 dealers)
• Remaining production will be allocated based on a Mustang share-of-nation formula

Allocation Example:
A current full-line SVT dealer who wins the 2005 President's Award will receive four units plus any units for Mustang share-of-nation.
Example: Full Line SVT Dealer: 2
Completed certification: 1
2005 President's Award: 1
Mustang share-of-nation: TBD
Managing Customer Expectations
We are already receiving customer inquiries about GT500 availability as well as reports of dealers holding deposits for this car. Dealer allocation will not be announced until the first quarter of 2006.

Despite the extremely high market interest in this product, it is important to appropriately manage the expectations of your customers according to your actual allocation.

Sincerely,
Darryl Hazel
Old 10/29/05, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been out there George....But it dosen't hurt to see info from the horses mouth again B)
Old 10/29/05, 08:10 PM
GTR Member

Yeah, brad posted it awhile back, but its good to remind everyone
Old 10/29/05, 08:45 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whole "allocation" thing is a bit mind-boggling to me. So if a dealer is only allocated five cars, let's say, sells them all in the first three weeks, and I walk in a week later to order one, the dealer is going to say to me: "Too late, sucker, you're SOL...now go down the road and buy a Corvette!"

Talk about a first come, first serve, F-you!

If this is really how they plan to satisfy customer demand, all I can say to Ford is: "Like losing money quarterly, do you?"

Why doesn't Ford just start depositing cheques directly into Hondoyota's bank account while they're at it.
Old 10/29/05, 09:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think there are a boatload of back country Ford dealerships that have no interst in getting any Shelbys. Dividing the number of cars by the number of dealers is not an accurate way to evaluate that.

If you read closely, this says they will receive x number of cars PLUS share of nation. So, I read this as the dealers are guaranteed x number of cars, plus their share of whatever is left. That may be up to 10 or 15 cars for a lg volume dealer.
Old 10/30/05, 12:11 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by crazyhorse@October 29, 2005, 8:52 PM
I think there are a boatload of back country Ford dealerships that have no interst in getting any Shelbys. Dividing the number of cars by the number of dealers is not an accurate way to evaluate that.

If you read closely, this says they will receive x number of cars PLUS share of nation. So, I read this as the dealers are guaranteed x number of cars, plus their share of whatever is left. That may be up to 10 or 15 cars for a lg volume dealer.
Just out of curiosity, Crazyhorse, is there a cut off point for you beneath which you won't buy a Shelby? In other words, if they keep dropping features from this car - assuming they ARE dropping features (we won't really know till January) - is there a point where you will say, "Sorry, Ford, but I ain't buying one of these cars under these conditions...not this poor large guy in Austin Powers." [EDIT: OK, have we really become so anally retentive that we have to filter out the word b-a-s-t-a-r-d? I'm mean, I'm pretty conservative, but c'mon, now we're censoring freedom of speech over a word less offensive than the average third grader uses on the playing field? You mean to tell me that the average Mustang driver NEVER uses profanity? C'mon people, fess up, we know that's not true! ]

Just curious cause I know you've been waiting for one of these for a looooong time, as have I.

My friend bought an Infiniti G35 coupe last month, with the full premium and sport package, and I gotta say - while it doesn't have the raw power of a Stang - it is a very balanced, refined car that is fun to drive. I used to mock and make fun of him for considering a Nissan product, but I kind of have to eat my words now (at least on this board - never to his face ). The point is that when I look at products like this, it makes me realize that Ford has a lot of work to do if it hopes to appeal to more than just its base...and expand its sales.

I would have thought that the Shelby would have been the perfect car with which to do just that.

I still want one, but I certainly have some questions. :scratch:
Old 10/30/05, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 30, 2005, 2:14 AM
... Crazyhorse, is there a cut off point for you beneath which you won't buy a Shelby? :scratch:
He will not be denied :dance:

Old 10/30/05, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 30, 2005, 1:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, Crazyhorse, is there a cut off point for you beneath which you won't buy a Shelby? In other words, if they keep dropping features from this car - assuming they ARE dropping features (we won't really know till January) - is there a point where you will say, "Sorry, Ford, but I ain't buying one of these cars under these conditions...not this poor large guy in Austin Powers." [EDIT: OK, have we really become so anally retentive that we have to filter out the word b-a-s-t-a-r-d? I'm mean, I'm pretty conservative, but c'mon, now we're censoring freedom of speech over a word less offensive than the average third grader uses on the playing field? You mean to tell me that the average Mustang driver NEVER uses profanity? C'mon people, fess up, we know that's not true! ]

Just curious cause I know you've been waiting for one of these for a looooong time, as have I.

My friend bought an Infiniti G35 coupe last month, with the full premium and sport package, and I gotta say - while it doesn't have the raw power of a Stang - it is a very balanced, refined car that is fun to drive. I used to mock and make fun of him for considering a Nissan product, but I kind of have to eat my words now (at least on this board - never to his face ). The point is that when I look at products like this, it makes me realize that Ford has a lot of work to do if it hopes to appeal to more than just its base...and expand its sales.

I would have thought that the Shelby would have been the perfect car with which to do just that.

I can't really pinpoint a cutoff. It will be a total package thing. I am going to Detroit to check out the production version in Jan. If the car just doesn't do it for me, I'll back down. I have faith that Ford will not let us down. Most of the internet bashers are picking on things like hood design, stripes, wheel size, Shelby lettering, etc. Although I have my preferences in all of those catagories, it really boils down to the thrill factor of the car (power, handling, sound, etc.).

I, too, have female doged about those things at various points. My goal was to send a message to Ford ("we don't like this or that"). Realistically, the little things won't stop me. If they take away the motor, then I might change my mind. The only other thing is if they really cheapen the car overall. A few years ago I looked at a new Cobra vs a used BMW 528i. The BMW so far outclassed the cheap interior and build quality of the Cobra that I bought the 528. I was never happy with the power of that car. this time I want the power. I hope that the Shelby will have both.

IF it doesn't, I'll probably go C6 Z-51. I can't justify the price tag of the Z06. It would be awesome, but nearly $25k more than the Shelby.

Sorry for the long post. I just got out of the hospital after having my appendix removed emergently late Friday night. The Vicodin has my brain on boost.
Old 10/30/05, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sheesh Crazyhorse!! I thought I wanted this car bad, but I am not selling my appendix!!!

Old 10/30/05, 02:58 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by MilStang@October 30, 2005, 1:00 PM
Sheesh Crazyhorse!! I thought I wanted this car bad, but I am not selling my appendix!!!

Old 10/30/05, 03:05 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by crazyhorse+October 30, 2005, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ October 30, 2005, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>It will be a total package thing.
[/b]

I agree on this.

Originally posted by crazyhorse@October 30, 2005, 11:58 AM
The only other thing is if they really cheapen the car overall. A few years ago I looked at a new Cobra vs a used BMW 528i. The BMW so far outclassed the cheap interior and build quality of the Cobra that I bought the 528. I was never happy with the power of that car. this time I want the power. I hope that the Shelby will have both.
That's what really PO's me about Ford. They force us to have to compromise one to get the other. Again it will be the whole package. But I do find it awfully strange when Ford claims they can't figure out how to "stick" the S H E L B Y letters across the back, when the other day I'm driving behind a Toyota Avalon that has chrome A V A L O N letter glued along the back. I mean, is Japanese glue...or double sided tape...or whatever engineering trick they're using that much more advanced than ours? Has our engineering prowess fallen so far that we can't even put the Shelby letters across the back of the car? We could do it in the late '60s - why not now? :scratch:

Otherwise, other than a big motor, very little distinguishes this as a Shelby. They might just as well have left his name off completely and called it a pure SVT Cobra. Which is not what I thought I was buying...

<!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse
@October 30, 2005, 11:58 AM
Sorry for the long post. I just got out of the hospital after having my appendix removed emergently late Friday night. The Vicodin has my brain on boost.
[/quote]
Sorry to hear this. Hope you feel better, man.
Old 10/30/05, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 30, 2005, 4:08 PM
But I do find it awfully strange when Ford claims they can't figure out how to "stick" the S H E L B Y letters across the back, when the other day I'm driving behind a Toyota Avalon that has chrome A V A L O N letter glued along the back. I mean, is Japanese glue...or double sided tape...or whatever engineering trick they're using that much more advanced than ours? Has our engineering prowess fallen so far that we can't even put the Shelby letters across the back of the car? We could do it in the late '60s - why not now? :scratch:
If the stripes on the production car are vinyl, I cannot imagine how one would place adhesive on them. The concept car had painted stripes and the letters looked like they had 3M double-sided tape, from what I could see when I saw it up close at the MCA Grand National show in September.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable than me will make a comment on adhesives that would bond to vinyl.
Old 10/30/05, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 30, 2005, 12:14 AM

Funny you mention the G35 coupe...one of only two other cars that I was considering. They are VERY nice, but 8-10 grand more expensive and require premium unleaded, which went down in the "negative" column. Still, very nice.

About allocations:
Guys, welcome to market capitalism. This is EXACTLY the model that Harley-Davidson has has employed for so many years (with some success, I've heard). Models in high demand go to favored (that is, high volume) dealers who can move them. This was particularly true about 10-15 years ago when supply was not so plentiful. It also generally results in the max option addition package (in the case of H-D) to get the price up. In the case of the GT500, it's likely to just be a mega-markup by the dealer...."market adjusted price" I think the term is.

They have a hot, in-demand product pending. Don't expect it to be readily available everywhere and certainly not a bargain. These things will be milked for every penny of extra profit. And you'd do the same thing if you were managing a business. It ain't always pretty, but it's how it works.

I still don't expect it to even get close to a Z06, not that I'm a candidate for ownership of one. Same dynamic will apply to those.
Old 10/30/05, 03:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MilStang@October 30, 2005, 3:00 PM

If it didn't hurt so much I'd ROFL.

Trust me, by the time they decided to take it out, I was ready to get rid of it. I don't think it got me any closer to owning a Shelby, though.

BC, thanks for caring. I'm getting better. It's just a matter of healing now.
Old 10/30/05, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Ascout@October 30, 2005, 4:17 PM
Funny you mention the G35 coupe...one of only two other cars that I was considering. They are VERY nice, but 8-10 grand more expensive and require premium unleaded, which went down in the "negative" column. Still, very nice.

About allocations:
Guys, welcome to market capitalism. This is EXACTLY the model that Harley-Davidson has has employed for so many years (with some success, I've heard). Models in high demand go to favored (that is, high volume) dealers who can move them. This was particularly true about 10-15 years ago when supply was not so plentiful. It also generally results in the max option addition package (in the case of H-D) to get the price up. In the case of the GT500, it's likely to just be a mega-markup by the dealer...."market adjusted price" I think the term is.

They have a hot, in-demand product pending. Don't expect it to be readily available everywhere and certainly not a bargain. These things will be milked for every penny of extra profit. And you'd do the same thing if you were managing a business. It ain't always pretty, but it's how it works.

I still don't expect it to even get close to a Z06, not that I'm a candidate for ownership of one. Same dynamic will apply to those.
Hate to tell you this but the Shelby will be premium also. I also considered the G35 but I thought it was around the same price as well? Maybe I was mistaken or there could have been a market adjustment.

I hope you get better Crazyhorse, take it easy and count Shelby's while you are doped up.

Old 10/30/05, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Gee, CrazyHorse, didn't know you were "wounded"! Glad to hear you're on the mend.
My .02??? Why not.
I agree with what C-horse says. Sure I "female dogged" (nice!) about stuff, but I'm gonna wait & see what becomes of the total package in Jan. Then see if the dealer tries to date rape me.
If it doesn't work out, I'm seriously thinking of "going deep". That is, buying a cherry Marauder, dropping it, S/C'ing it, adding a tranny, rear, etc to get me an 11.5-12 sec car. I have kids, so I need 4 seats. If Ford won't build it for me, I'll build it myself!
OR.....Mustang GTVert, heavily modded (like above), OR....SRT-8 Charger (HIGHLY unlikely, since I bleed Ford blue)--and beef it up....OR...OR...OR......you get the pic. Yeah, I would be on suicide watch if I can't get one, but I plan to occupy myself with something else if this doesn't go down...
Old 10/30/05, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Do we know that the final production model will be in Detroit in January? I just might make a trip for that.
Old 10/30/05, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Route 66@October 30, 2005, 6:00 PM
Do we know that the final production model will be in Detroit in January? I just might make a trip for that.
A call to SVT says yes, it will be Detroit. It is also my understanding that Brad called one of his sources to confirm this before posting the countdown timer.

Crispy, you bring up a good point. There are a multitude of options available if the Shelby doesn't work out. You dont have to buy new. There are a bunch of used 911 turbos, vipers, older z06s as well as cars like marauders and terminators that you could modify to be what you want. there is also Roush, Saleen, Steeda, etc. or you could even buy a new Mustang GT and build it. I'm waiting to see what the Shelby is and how hard it will be to get one. If it doesn't work out, I may be seeing some of you on the 911 Turbo or Viper boards.
Old 10/30/05, 05:35 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by crispy23c@October 30, 2005, 3:44 PM
Then see if the dealer tries to date rape me.

Just tell them that "no means no."
Old 10/30/05, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@October 30, 2005, 7:08 PM
... There are a multitude of options available...
There is another option. Go back a year or a few years if you like. There has been a pattern for demand on the Cobras, the SEs, and the latest GTs. The first 6 to 9 months the sharks have a feeding frinzy and there are a lot of fortunate owners who find out, for different circumstances and reasons, they can't afford keeping the car or want to keep the car. Slowly the AutoTrader, ebay, and used car dealers begin to have them available. Someone's loss is someone else's gain. This has happened not only with the most desirable Mustangs but with other manufacturers' sports coupes and sports cars.

Anyone interested in getting the (used) latest Cobra, Mach 1, Bullitt, or '05 GT has/had no problem getting one. I doubt the GT500 will be the exception.

Quick Reply: GT500 dealer allocations