Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Ford to drop Cobra name - Shelby replaces it

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/05, 10:08 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
my guess would be the cobra will stay on a stang it just wont be the top dog stang anymore..old shebly will be
Old 11/6/05, 12:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mach1fever@November 5, 2005, 11:44 PM
Umm it says it doesn't mean it won't be used on another ford product... Does this mean a mid-way cobra between shelby and gt? Or something like a torino?
if another car like a cobra roadster or the GR-1 comes around at all, it won't be between the shelby and GT as by that time, the GT will have ended its production run. There was much talk about first the cobra roadster then the GR-1 taking over at the GT plant after 2007 as ford's halo car, but its looking more and more like the SVT stang will be ford's top dog for a while. Maybe they'll change their mind though! Either way, we ain't getting anything crazy like that until after the Ford GT has ended production.

SVT Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 would definitely have been one of the longest names for a production car, no? Okay, first, for the actual name of the car, ditch SVT. Sure they build it, but you don't actually have to label it as such. Everybody would know its the SVT mustang. Second, i think you can ditch the mustang name too. Again, its not like anybody would mistake it for anything else. I think you can either call this car the Shelby GT500 or the Cobra GT500. Everybody will know its a mustang, everybody who knows what SVT is will know the car is built by SVT. Lastly, if that Cobra emblem is still on the car, that's enough of a tribute to that name. I think its sweet to name the car Shelby GT500, with everyone seeing this sweet snake emblem on it, and everybody knowing its a mustang, and the people who care knowing that its built by SVT.

As for the price of the car being drastically influenced by the name, that's a perfect example of humans being pretty ridiculous, that's really too bad. Since I'm not ever gonna buy one though, and my main concern is ford's ultimate glory as a car company, I say go with the sweet name!

If you're annoyed at the thought of Shelby making money off of each car sold (we don't know that! he might be happy enough just to have a bloody sweet car named after him, no?)... just chill. Whether you like the guy or not, he's probably gonna be dead in a couple years and won't be making any money at all.

ooof okay, that was uncalled for.
Old 11/6/05, 12:34 AM
V6 Member

~ " With all due respect to the Mustangs developed and sold By Ford Special Vehicle Engineering and the Special Vehicle Team between 1993 and 2004, Cobras are two-seat roadsters built by Selby American during the 1960s. Anything else is something else-no matter how promiscuous Ford was with that hallowed badge over the last three decades.

This is the reason the highly sought Mustangs sold from 1995 through 1970 that bear Shelby's name were never called Cobrs, even though that trademark snake appeared all over them. And this is the mindset that underpins the naming-and development- of the first new, legit Shelby Mustang in 35 years. You'll find snake logos all over this one, too-but officially, it's the Ford Shelby GT 500. No misapplied Cobra branding in sight."

Motor Trend's Mat Stone May 2005

For those that need the Cobra name, there will be a lot for sale real quick. The rest of us will have a legit Shelby.
Old 11/6/05, 12:38 AM
FR500 Member

lol i dont care what its called cuz i just refer to it as an 07 cobra or mostely....shelby GT500
Old 11/6/05, 12:47 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

welp I'm glad the Cobr...ooops GT500 will have as much HP as it does cause it will need it with that giant S-H-E-L-B-Y on th trunk lid. Must be like 500lbs of plastic there.

BTW how is it legit? because fords marketing guys called it that?? Or because shelby built it??? oops that's right he didn't SVT did.

anyhow
Old 11/6/05, 01:35 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Svtstinger@November 5, 2005, 10:07 PM
I don't like the idea of them taking off the cobra name. I grew up seeing the mustang Cobras, not the Shelby Mustang GT500. I have always wanted to get a Mustang Cobra, especially when my brother got his 03 Cobra. Ever since I saw the next SVT Mustang, which is the Shelby Cobra GT500, I've been planning on getting it.

I wouln't mind it having the Shelby name as long as they keep the Cobra on it. If they plan on removing a part of the name take off the Shelby. This Car is really a SVT Mustang Cobra not a Shelby Mustang GT500. The Shelby part of this car is only the stripes and emblems, everything else is really SVT. All they want to do is make more money by calling it a Shelby.

If I could get a classic Shelby GT500 I would get it, who wouldn't want one. But since I want to get the top of the line 2007 Mustang, I want it to have Cobra in it, like I said I wouldn't mind it also saying Shelby on it, It would actually make the Cobra even more special if it said Shelby. If they want to make a different Cobra model, make a "R" or a "GT500KR".

Please Ford, don't mess this one up.
People, people, nothing has changed here. The GT500 concept that was unveiled NEVER said Cobra on it anywhere. It only had the snake badge...which it will still have. They've only dropped the Cobra name from the marketing description. Shelby GT500s in the '60s NEVER ACTUALLY SAID Cobra on them anywhere either.

Nothing has changed here.
Old 11/6/05, 01:58 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Svtstinger@November 5, 2005, 9:07 PM
I don't like the idea of them taking off the cobra name. I grew up seeing the mustang Cobras, not the Shelby Mustang GT500. I have always wanted to get a Mustang Cobra, especially when my brother got his 03 Cobra. Ever since I saw the next SVT Mustang, which is the Shelby Cobra GT500, I've been planning on getting it.

I wouln't mind it having the Shelby name as long as they keep the Cobra on it. If they plan on removing a part of the name take off the Shelby. This Car is really a SVT Mustang Cobra not a Shelby Mustang GT500. The Shelby part of this car is only the stripes and emblems, everything else is really SVT. All they want to do is make more money by calling it a Shelby.

If I could get a classic Shelby GT500 I would get it, who wouldn't want one. But since I want to get the top of the line 2007 Mustang, I want it to have Cobra in it, like I said I wouldn't mind it also saying Shelby on it, It would actually make the Cobra even more special if it said Shelby. If they want to make a different Cobra model, make a "R" or a "GT500KR".

Please Ford, don't mess this one up.

I'll be compteley honest about this.. I would feel better if they removed the Shelby, added IRS suspension, and just called it a Cobra! Then just sell that for $36K..

Shelby could then take the existing Cobra's, put his name on them, drop in a 5.8L V8 and call it a GT500, selling it for whatever he wanted..

I just hate the fact that a good Cobra Mustang has been eaten up by something like marketing.. I would much rather Ford continued on with this car as a 5.4L Cobra..

Maybe Ford will still make a SVT Cobra.. All they have to do is add the IRS Suspension, and a N/A 5.4L or N/A 5.8L and I'd be extrememly pleased with it..
Old 11/6/05, 07:30 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
The aura of the Shelby name means money in the bank. Ford and its dealers see this opportunity and will cash in on it. There is a bit of contradiction by Ford though, on the emphasis they place on model names. Apparently Ford wants its customers to believe name recognition applies when they claim it is so. I guess it wasn't importang for the GT-40 name, perhaps this is because Ford couldn't acquire the rights to it. If tradition and the original model name is so important it should have applied to the Ford GT as well.

Eventually the Cobra name will be brought back and its nostagia will help create another exclusive money maker. Just like the Shelby.
Old 11/6/05, 08:04 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

well said george!
Shelbys name for me at least isn't about just a name on the car (although some of it is) it's about how high the price of these cars will be at the dealer. And they will sell for those high prices because of the rich no brained morons that can afford to pay top dollar and get the first ones. They are the people that drive the insane pricing but shelbys name makes it all possible..

If that car was called Pinto it sure as heck wouldn't be selling for alot of cash.
Old 11/6/05, 08:15 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by burningman@November 6, 2005, 11:07 AM
... If that car was called Pinto...

Are you referring to the exploding sensation from Ford?

Old 11/6/05, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 5, 2005, 7:50 PM
The Cobra emblem remains...and the S H E L B Y letters remain across the back. It's 1967 again.

OK, me happy.

Now just build enough of the friggin' things, Ford! :bang:

agree 100% - and this make me real happy
Old 11/6/05, 09:46 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

yes i am george
Old 11/6/05, 07:43 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by burningman@November 5, 2005, 9:19 PM

The old Shelbys are expensive because they are rare.
In the 6 years from 1965 - 1970, 14,368 GT-350 & GT-500 Mustangs were built. That's less than 2400 per year.

But this # has to be put into the context of Ford selling an average of 430,000 Mustangs per year over those 6 years.

1970 GT-350 & GT-500 Mustangs were actually leftover 1969 models that didn't sell. They were re-VINed 1969 models.

Fast forward to 2007. Ford is plannig on building 7,000 GT-500s / year in a market that is buying 150,000 Mustangs per year. I question whether all those GT-500s will end up finding customers at sticker, let alone with $20K dealer markups.
Old 11/6/05, 07:58 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by Clutch@November 6, 2005, 1:37 AM
~ " With all due respect to the Mustangs developed and sold By Ford Special Vehicle Engineering and the Special Vehicle Team between 1993 and 2004, Cobras are two-seat roadsters built by Selby American during the 1960s. Anything else is something else-no matter how promiscuous Ford was with that hallowed badge over the last three decades.

This is the reason the highly sought Mustangs sold from 1995 through 1970 that bear Shelby's name were never called Cobrs, even though that trademark snake appeared all over them. And this is the mindset that underpins the naming-and development- of the first new, legit Shelby Mustang in 35 years. You'll find snake logos all over this one, too-but officially, it's the Ford Shelby GT 500. No misapplied Cobra branding in sight."

Motor Trend's Mat Stone May 2005

For those that need the Cobra name, there will be a lot for sale real quick. The rest of us will have a legit Shelby.
Thank you for clarifying why it historically should not be included in the name.
Old 11/6/05, 08:20 PM

I believe the name Cobra was used on non-roadsters - The Daytona Cobra was not a roadster.
Old 11/6/05, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Hoyt Clagwell@November 6, 2005, 10:23 PM
I believe the name Cobra was used on non-roadsters - The Daytona Cobra was not a roadster.
Um thats Daytona Coupe, not Daytona Cobra.
Old 11/6/05, 11:32 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by V10@November 6, 2005, 7:46 PM
In the 6 years from 1965 - 1970, 14,368 GT-350 & GT-500 Mustangs were built. That's less than 2400 per year.

But this # has to be put into the context of Ford selling an average of 430,000 Mustangs per year over those 6 years.

1970 GT-350 & GT-500 Mustangs were actually leftover 1969 models that didn't sell. They were re-VINed 1969 models.

Fast forward to 2007. Ford is plannig on building 7,000 GT-500s / year in a market that is buying 150,000 Mustangs per year. I question whether all those GT-500s will end up finding customers at sticker, let alone with $20K dealer markups.
Amen, brother. I think the dealers are wildly overestimating the demand, particularly given some of the car's dynamic shortcomings.
Old 11/7/05, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Thunder Road@November 6, 2005, 10:56 PM
Um thats Daytona Coupe, not Daytona Cobra.
Thanks - it goes to show I'm never too old to learn something new. That's what makes this site so good. A wealth of information
Old 11/7/05, 11:28 AM

"A rose by any other name ..."
Old 11/7/05, 11:37 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 6, 2005, 10:35 PM
Amen, brother. I think the dealers are wildly overestimating the demand, particularly given some of the car's dynamic shortcomings.

I hope your right.. However, can you expound on the short comings of the car, for those who were not aware please? Thanks! I personally thought it was perfect.. I thought an IRS would have been nice.. So I guess I can view this as a short coming.. Interested in your meaning though..

Also, I would have preferred to see a 5.8L Supercharged engine as opposed to a 5.4L..

Quick Reply: Ford to drop Cobra name - Shelby replaces it