Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Flashing the Legend, Where?

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/04 | 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

Ok when my car rolls out of winter storage it will need a re-flash since it will have 255/50/17 and 3:73 rear end. I've heard the reason to flash relating to the speedo but what other things should I modify and where do I get it reflashed? I saw somewhere where you can buy a reflash box it allows you to save your original info plus 3 additional flashes. How or where do I do all this and what should I do? I know I sound stupid on this but I am. I get the concept just don't know how to move forward.
Old 12/24/04 | 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I dont have my mustang yet, but I do know a little. The flashing is just a software program that gets downloaded to your computer in the car. You purchase the kit you choose, preferably from a company that will do it for you and will put the various programs on your handheld item. This is so you can dyno it and work it properly for your set up. So you want a company that you can go to and do this. But it hooks up thru what is called your obdII(On Board Diagnostic 2nd edition) connector. This is a standardized connector that all newer cars have gone too to make things easier in diagnosing various cars. It is a connector under your dash that a self diagnostic tool or your new flashing device can hook into. The device will come with directions if doing your self, you will just plug it into the connector under dash and will follow directions to reflash the computer. Seems like it will be a pretty easy item to do. But like I said if you can do it with the company that sells it like SCT, there are dealers and dynos that they can do these items correctly for you. but I am sure if you order it you can figure it out by reading the directions. But you will only get the stock flashes they have for the mustang, unlike a custom one made especially to the way your car drives on the dyno. Good luck
Old 12/24/04 | 03:28 PM

wow thats the biggest little ive ever seen
Old 12/25/04 | 12:52 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by upstate@December 24, 2004, 10:32 AM
Ok when my car rolls out of winter storage it will need a re-flash since it will have 255/50/17 and 3:73 rear end. I've heard the reason to flash relating to the speedo but what other things should I modify and where do I get it reflashed? I saw somewhere where you can buy a reflash box it allows you to save your original info plus 3 additional flashes. How or where do I do all this and what should I do? I know I sound stupid on this but I am. I get the concept just don't know how to move forward.
Go to sctflash.com, look up a tuner (dealer) nearest you and give them a call. Explain what you're looking for and make an appointment. If I remember correctly, the SCT flash is about $375 and my dyno (Calif.) charges $150/hr to do the tune. Hope this helps!
Old 12/25/04 | 01:00 AM
FR500 Member

P.S. you might want to spend time checking out the GT Performance forum. This forum would seem to be appropriate basis it's title, but I think you'll get more of the info your looking for in the S197 Performance forum. :geek: Lots of info to digest!
Old 12/25/04 | 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like what I'm going to have to do is do my mods over the winter and in spring drive a couple hundred miles to dyno and flash the Stang.
Old 12/25/04 | 01:14 PM
FR500 Member

Or you could have it flashed & dyno'd and get a baseline with the new gears & tune. Then you'd have a way to measure each major modification thereafter.
Old 12/27/04 | 05:24 PM

You can buy the SCT Excalibrator from most speed shops. You still have to have your original program taken from you car and loaded into the unit and then have 3 other programs loaded into the unit. I just had them load a program for higher octane, with underdrive pullies, lack of HC trap, and a bit higher rpm redline. He loaded another program to be used with CAI. I think I will be skipping the CAI and just waiting for a Whipple! I never had my car on a dyno yet, but it runs great and hard. I will be getting on a dyno in Jan. sometime.
Old 12/27/04 | 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@December 27, 2004, 7:27 PM
You can buy the SCT Excalibrator from most speed shops. You still have to have your original program taken from you car and loaded into the unit and then have 3 other programs loaded into the unit. I just had them load a program for higher octane, with underdrive pullies, lack of HC trap, and a bit higher rpm redline. He loaded another program to be used with CAI. I think I will be skipping the CAI and just waiting for a Whipple! I never had my car on a dyno yet, but it runs great and hard. I will be getting on a dyno in Jan. sometime.
I could do that but I just know what mods to have them program. Maybe lean the motor out, remove the speed limiter, If there were a list of mods to choose from or say a mod set up that has been used by others and just copyied that would be great. Does something like this exsist?
Old 12/27/04 | 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Do I need to re-flash my mustang II? I haven't done anything to its computer in 26 years! I think its running with either an atari 2600 or a commodore 64. Could be a colecovision, not sure. Where can I get an 8-track tape cleaner?
Old 12/27/04 | 08:17 PM
FR500 Member

Still pretty early, a lot of aftermarket products still to be introduced, so a "list" that's been tested will be a little while still.