Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Dodge Charger SRT8 To Smoke Shelby GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/05, 06:49 PM
Cam Tease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed.
Old 11/13/05, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

I feel dumber after having read all of that, thanks boys. At least someone had the sense to drop it, thanks fast351.
Old 11/13/05, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to everyone, proceed with the SRT8 bashing....
Old 11/13/05, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

OK back to the ORIGINAL subject, Dodge SRT8 vs Shelby GT500. A couple of toughts:
1) Regardless of everyones thoughts on the Gts horsepower, too low or whatever, the cars are selling like crazy and it has been noted by Ford, Musatng sales alone are carrying Fords finances this year.
2) Dodge and all others see this and are trying to be as successful with their own Muscle cars.
3) there will be many cars come out, trying to compete with the Mustang, with as much or more horsepower, and some may outperform the Musatng and the Gt500, but I doubt any will outsell or even come close.
4) Bottom line, the Musatng is and will continue to be the best value hp for dollar, and will outsell and outlast many Dodges SRT8, Vett Z06,GTO, you name it.The Mustang has and will outsell them all. its nice to have more horsepower, but the number of people willing to pay for and demanding that horsepower is few compared to the masses who want resonable HP300, 19 mpg on regular gas!!! No one can touch those numbers, not on regular gas!!!! I challenge anyone to point out any stock 06 model car with better numbers than these on regular gas, for UNDER $30k!!! And Im talking a 2 door, sports/muscle car, not no japaness 4 door encobox/sports wannabe!!!!
Old 11/13/05, 11:08 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the guy from Automobile.com replied. Here's what he said in response to my email:

A good point, but of course I'm comparing a four-door sedan to other four-door sedans, not a much lighter weight sports coupe. That said, off the track the live axle Shelby might be a bit harder to control than the more sophisticated multi-link rear suspended Charger.I have drive the Mustang GT in Southern Cal, where I tested the Charger SRT8, and the Charger was by far easier to handle - although the Mustang was a ball when its tail hung out. It would be an interesting run to put the GT 500 and SRT8 side by side, for sure.

I look forward to driving the Shelby, and will let you know what I think when I get the chance. It should be an amazing machine, and with a little more money spent on an aftermarket independent rear suspension setup, possibly the Kenny Brown system, it would no doubt walk away from a number of much more expensive European products too. Have you got one on order? I've seriously considered this one for my personal garage. Anyway, make sure and take a spin in any one of the SRT cars just the same, they're quite amazing.

Kind regards,

Trevor Hofmann
Senior Editor
Canadian Auto Press Inc.
Old 11/13/05, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 14, 2005, 12:11 AM
Well, the guy from Automobile.com replied. Here's what he said in response to my email:

Isnt the live axle in the Grand Am Cup cars walking away from a most and in some cases all of the cars on the track?
Old 11/14/05, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 13, 2005, 2:39 PM
I try and wonder, who is ford trying to keep happy? It appears Dodge and GM dont mind throwing down the gauntlet when it comes to cubic inches.. I can remember back in the day, when my buddies Trans-AM used to eat my 93 Cobra up, bone stock..

In highschool, another buddy of mine had the White Anniversary Edition Trans-AM, and I had a GT350, 5.0.. He used to always teaz me on the freeway.. Other guys had 350CI IROCS.. Other guys had 427 69 Camaros.. I have been hounded by GM long enough.. When is it gonna end..?

Now we roll into 2005, and here we are again.. On the short end of the stick..

I'll tell you what, an SRT8 with a blower is gonna get to 800RWHP+.. We'll see it.. Just wait and see..
Wow man, you're all bent out of shape that the highest level Charger can beat the mid level mustang? The Charger R/T is a low to mid 14's car. I've already proven that to one poor owner who thought his land yacht stood a chance. The SRT8 will be a high 12's to low 13's car at best, the GT500 a mid 12's car with alot less weight and better handling and styling. I'm not worried one bit about the new Dodge land yachts rolling around that they call the charger.
Old 11/14/05, 04:47 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Fast351@November 13, 2005, 5:44 PM
Take a look at how you spelled punctuation...anyway this isn't english 101, and this isn't the place for this, so I am going to end these stupid one line reply's. It's just a stated opinon, if you don't agree that's fine, at least you agreed with some of it, I appreciate that.

My Apologies for AnotherMustangMan! He likes confrontation.. I should have stopped your response to his post alot sooner.. For that I am sorry..

You made some good points.. They have not been lost because AnotherMustangMan tried to push your buttons..
Old 11/14/05, 07:27 AM

I own a 2005 Mustang GT and a 2006 srt-8 (Magnum, not the Charger) so I can provide a real world perspective on these two cars. This is all seat of the pants observations.

The 0-60 times are very similar, but after that, the srt-8 pulls away easily. The srt-8 pulls very hard even at 120+ mph. It feels more solid at high speeds than the Mustang (E.g. no hood vibrations). My Mustang is pretty much stock except for a JLT.

The Mustang is much more fun to drive. It corners better and feels much more nimble. The srt-8 feels big and unwieldy.

I really dislike the auto trans in the srt-8. There is always a hesitation when hitting the gas before it takes off. My GT is manual and much more responsive.

After 2500 miles on the srt-8, I'm getting 12.4 mpg. Mustang gets 18.

The srt-8 cost $40k.

The srt-8 doesn't drive or feel like a muscle car. The interior amenities are nicer (better seats, nicer leather, better audio system (satellite/Navigation/Bluetooth).

The best thing about the srt-8 is that my wife doesn't drive my Mustang anymore. Overall I pick the Mustang.
Old 11/14/05, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

rrunk,
That's a sweet duo you have. Take a picture of the two for us. I bet they look mean in a side-by-side shot.
Old 11/14/05, 10:39 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by Route 66@November 14, 2005, 8:46 AM
rrunk,
That's a sweet duo you have. Take a picture of the two for us. I bet they look mean in a side-by-side shot.
Ditto!!
Pics!!!
Old 11/15/05, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

rrunk, I appreciate your comparisons, but I wish we had a Charger SRT-8 (or even better a Challenger SRT-8- it's a 2 door) for comparison. After all, it IS a wagon, and that alone would slow it down considerably in the corners. Who knows??? Maybe the Challenger will come out with >425 HP....that would be interesting! I heard that Chrysler dealers aren't screwing their customers, either!

EDIT: The Challenger is supposed to come out with about 475 HP. This should be interesting...
Old 11/15/05, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 13, 2005, 12:07 PM
I would really hate to speculate on this car, knowing its older Sibling is a Viper.. It must be pointed out that Ford needs to upgrade standard HP for the Mustang GT to no less than 385HP which is 327RWHP...
Wait a minute. You're comparing a $45K limited run Chrysler to a $27K standard production Ford? Let's compare apples to apples and use the GT500 for comparison, OK? The results would be obvious to everyone (I hope).
Old 11/15/05, 01:02 PM
Cam Tease

Don't bother Steve. I tried, but I guess MSP interprets the expression truth as confrontation.

Plus dude, I mean.....the SRT8's older sibling is a Viper!! I dont know if you wanna speculate anywhere near that thing man...
hahahahahha

Oops, sorry. I dont want to push anyones buttons..
Old 11/17/05, 08:05 PM
Closet American

Another email from Trevor at Automobile.com...

Hi again,

I'll agree with you that live axle cars aren't hampered as much on the track, and I think I mentioned to you that if you've got a smooth track to go to, and plan on spending ample time there, then it shouldn't be a problem. Most of us, however, live in the real world of imperfect pavement, and therefore need the stability provided by a fully independent setup. To Ford's credit, the Mustang GT is extremely competent on both street and track, but compared to the SRT8 it is lacking - at least for the average person's skill level. I went around Mont Tremblant with Alex Tagliani in a 440-hp Saleen prepared Mustang GT and he didn't seem to have any trouble with the live axle, but I suppose we were on a track after all, and a very good one to boot. As far as which one to buy, I have to admit to having a thing for the Cobra myself, and with a Kenny Brown independent setup in the rear, it might be unstoppable. An expensive solution, but compared to anything European with even 100 less hp on tap, it would be cheap.

Cheers,

Trevor

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11/17/05, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

You know what? If any of us purchase a GT500, I guarantee, you will not be looking out for the Charger. You will have your eyes on the Z06. The Charger is a tune-up fight. There is no way that will match up to the GT500. Not in a million years.
Old 11/17/05, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry, but the Sheby won't come close to the Z06. In any category.
Old 11/17/05, 10:24 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by KGSGT350@November 17, 2005, 9:50 PM
You know what? If any of us purchase a GT500, I guarantee, you will not be looking out for the Charger. You will have your eyes on the Z06. The Charger is a tune-up fight. There is no way that will match up to the GT500. Not in a million years.
True, the Charger won't even be close to competition.

The Z06, however, will clean your clock.
Old 11/18/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, you are both right,. I should have clarified that. What I meant was, you are never going to be looking back at compition only ahead. Real competitiors always go after the best of the group. Just like the Z06 will be nippin at the heals of the Ford GT. The Shelby will leave the Charger for dead.
Old 11/18/05, 05:00 PM
FR500 Member

The Dodge Charger SRT-8 will smoke the Shelby - depending on how much (of a controlled substance) the driver of the Charger smoked. especially if the interior is smoky.

Quick Reply: Dodge Charger SRT8 To Smoke Shelby GT500?