Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Dealer Markups, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 10:00 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
One of the negatives in paying markups is the assumption that "this" car is it, "... I've found the car of my dreams and will never sell it..." which in reality it should be "... I've temporarily found the car of my dreams so I better get a good deal now and minimize my losses when I change my mind and find my next dream car 2 years from now"
Old 3/24/05, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always said that I will never again pay markup on a car's MSRP. I did that once, on a very rare car - a Buick GNX. It was build number 281 and I paid $14,000 over a MSRP of $29,950 for a total price of of $43k+. Only 547 GNX's were built and the 'market adjustment' I paid was small compared to what many others paid. Some GNX's went for double or MORE the MSRP!

And I have no intention of paying over MSRP for the Shelby - IF Ford does what it says it will do and make as many as buyers demand.

But - I really don't know what I would do if I was face to face with a Shelby and the dealer had added some on and I wanted the car really bad!

This new Shelby is a benchmark car and one that I would love to have. I wasn't able to keep my GNX but I know this - IF I get to buy a Shelby, it ain't goin' NOWHERE!

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Old 3/24/05, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
One of the negatives in paying markups is the assumption that "this" car is it, "... I've found the car of my dreams and will never sell it..." which in reality it should be "... I've temporarily found the car of my dreams so I better get a good deal now and minimize my losses when I change my mind and find my next dream car 2 years from now"
Thats the way it is for car guys, isn't it. That is a good reason why I wouldn't want to pay over sticker as well. At some point I may find something better (08, 09 Cobra?)
Old 3/24/05, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Expect large mark ups. We have been selling '05 GT's for sticker since they came out, but we've also taken A/Z/X/D plans as well. It also depends on market demand in your area. Here in Las Vegas we've gotten 5,000 over MSRP on the Escape Hybrid, why, because we only got three this year and we had 20 people who were willing to pay it. We've never marked up Cobras in the past. My bet is that they're going to mark the Shelby up 10-15K if its as limited as they say it is. I'm the new car manager at our store in Las Vegas and I can tell you I got 15 emails yesterday of people (collectors) wanting the first several cars coming in and almost everyone of them said that price and markup wasnt an issue, they just wanted the car. Take a look at how many Ford GT's are going for 250K to 300K on ebay still to this day, this Shelby Mustang is a bargain car for those people as well, and an extra 15K is pocket change to them. Carroll Shelby hasnt put his name on a high performance Mustang in 30+ years. The moment he passes, sad to say, the value and collectability of this car is going to increase.
Old 3/24/05, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Exactly right -- the last time I got geeked over a car like this, I paid MSRP and banked on keeping it forever. It's been seven years, but now I'm ready for the next thing.

One thing about the new Shelby Cobra is that according to Ford, it is not a limited production vehicle. 7,500 units, even as just a prediction and not a hard limit, is about in line with average Cobra sales for the past few years, as I understand it (although I certainly think the Shelby will generate more sales than usual). That leads me to believe that, despite the hype-based markups that we'll undoubtedly see for a while, this car will eventually be more readily available for sticker or even lower. I plan on holding out till then.
Old 3/24/05, 10:20 AM

Another assumption is that there won't be enough available. Can I say Bullitt-Mach1-Cobra? I can't remember anyone missing out on any of these.

A projected production amount is not always the final count. Why would Ford hold a good seller to a limited production? Would it be so that 7,500 owners will feel special and screw another 7,500 that want one? What would Ford gain in selling 1/2 of their potential?
Old 3/24/05, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

In 99% of the cases, Cars are a bad investment. The hype will drive early ADM, but if you are patient and willing to work it, deals will be made. It also helps to know and trust a Sales Manager. I've got a good friend who is a Sales Manager, we have bought about 10 cars through him over the years. We discussed it before the annoucement and are going to work it out. I'll order it and we'll pay...and he will take care of a good, repeat customer. I'll just have to travel about 700 miles to "git er done"

No worries....
Old 3/24/05, 10:28 AM

"Cars are a waste of money -- I love wasting money!"
-- VTSnake

Old 3/24/05, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 24, 2005, 12:31 PM
"Cars are a waste of money -- I love wasting money!"
-- VTSnake

I'll buy that, guilty as charged
Old 3/24/05, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+March 24, 2005, 10:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 24, 2005, 10:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PACETTR@March 24, 2005, 10:59 AM

I resent such outrageous implication since I probably happen to be the brightest, most resourceful, sensible, and intellectual TMS member roaming these boards.

Thank you, thank you all for the standing ovation!

:bowdown:

[/b][/quote]
edit :I'm with the BRIGHTEST, MOST RESOURCEFUL SENSIBLE, AND INTELLECTUAL MEMBER ROAMING THESE BOARDS:
:worship:
Old 3/24/05, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by cgoeschel@March 24, 2005, 11:18 AM
Expect large mark ups. We have been selling '05 GT's for sticker since they came out, but we've also taken A/Z/X/D plans as well. It also depends on market demand in your area. Here in Las Vegas we've gotten 5,000 over MSRP on the Escape Hybrid, why, because we only got three this year and we had 20 people who were willing to pay it. We've never marked up Cobras in the past. My bet is that they're going to mark the Shelby up 10-15K if its as limited as they say it is. I'm the new car manager at our store in Las Vegas and I can tell you I got 15 emails yesterday of people (collectors) wanting the first several cars coming in and almost everyone of them said that price and markup wasnt an issue, they just wanted the car. Take a look at how many Ford GT's are going for 250K to 300K on ebay still to this day, this Shelby Mustang is a bargain car for those people as well, and an extra 15K is pocket change to them. Carroll Shelby hasnt put his name on a high performance Mustang in 30+ years. The moment he passes, sad to say, the value and collectability of this car is going to increase.
That is exactly the problem. With all the hype surrounding the original Shelbys the past few years, the collectors will come out of the woodwork by the thousands. When you compare the new cars to what it cost to get a nice original big block car, some collectors may buy two or three and see what happends. Many of these people have made hundreds of thousands of dollars on the original cars over the past 3 or 4 years. An extra $10K or $15K per car is not going to be a big deal.

That last sentence is so true. The value of the nice original cars has nearly doubled in the past 3 years. I would love to own one of the original Shelby Mustangs, but I am going to have to wait until the babyboomers have died off, and the cars are no longer legal to drive before I can afford one (I am 33 and still waiting for my Shelby...)
Old 3/24/05, 10:43 AM
GT Member

whatever MSRP turns out to be, I won't be paying more than that. There are dealers out there who don't want to screw you, you just have to look hard to find out. I'll call every SVT dealer in the directory, if I have to!
I gotta get me one a deez!
Old 3/24/05, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by beneman@March 24, 2005, 9:41 AM
That is exactly the problem. With all the hype surrounding the original Shelbys the past few years, the collectors will come out of the woodwork by the thousands. When you compare the new cars to what it cost to get a nice original big block car, some collectors may buy two or three and see what happends. Many of these people have made hundreds of thousands of dollars on the original cars over the past 3 or 4 years. An extra $10K or $15K per car is not going to be a big deal.

That last sentence is so true. The value of the nice original cars has nearly doubled in the past 3 years. I would love to own one of the original Shelby Mustangs, but I am going to have to wait until the babyboomers have died off, and the cars are no longer legal to drive before I can afford one (I am 33 and still waiting for my Shelby...)
I am not at all sure I agree with this logic. What does the 2007 Shelby have in common with an original GT500 other than a name and some visual cues? NOTHING. It's still a brand new car, made like any other brand new car, that happens to look similar to some older ones, with a whole lot of horsepower. Does it in any meaningful way compare to an original Shelby? Not one bit. The original GT500 is a collector's item, at 7500 production the new one will not be.

Dave
Old 3/24/05, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

I won't pay more than sticker, period. No markups. I'll fly to to any dealer in the country and drive the car home rather than pay a single cent in markup. Can anyone say roadtrip?
Old 3/24/05, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

It has TWO things...... NAME and MUSTANG, neither of which has been associated with Carroll Shelby and Ford for over 30+years. Keep it original, keep the miles low, and see what happens. Thats what most of the collectors will be doing, while the rest of us (you and me)mod, crash etc with the balance of them. How many do you think would be left in 30 or 40 years in pristine condition? Not anywhere close to 7500. Collectors item it will be.
Old 3/25/05, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I will NEVER go over MSRP!! :notnice: :notnice: In fact I hate paying MSRP :angry: If push comes to shove I'll just get the 06 GT and keep the extra $12,000 in the bank.
Old 3/25/05, 11:27 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by new22003@March 24, 2005, 10:51 AM
Americans hate getting screwed.
Speak for yourself.
Old 3/25/05, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Never paid more than MSRP, never will. Either I get any car at MSRP or less, or I buy something else.
Old 3/25/05, 11:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't ever even paid MSRP, but, will for this one.
Old 3/25/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by S197Cobra+March 24, 2005, 12:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197Cobra @ March 24, 2005, 12:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-beneman@March 24, 2005, 9:41 AM

I am not at all sure I agree with this logic. What does the 2007 Shelby have in common with an original GT500 other than a name and some visual cues? NOTHING. It's still a brand new car, made like any other brand new car, that happens to look similar to some older ones, with a whole lot of horsepower. Does it in any meaningful way compare to an original Shelby? Not one bit. The original GT500 is a collector's item, at 7500 production the new one will not be.

Dave
[/b][/quote]

YOU ARE WRONG DAVE ! PERIOD.. :notnice:

Quick Reply: Dealer Markups, opinions?