Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Complete Noob Roush Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is the right section, or even an appropriate question, but I am a complete car noob and had to ask someone! I'm in the military overseas right now and buying an 06 Mustang GT. By the time I leave here I will probalby have most of it payed off, and then I'm wanting to modify it a bit. Problem is, I have pretty much 0 car knowledge so doing the work is almost out of the question except for very minor stuff.

Ok, now to my question. How much would a shop charge to install a Roush Body Kit (Example)? Including painting and all that. I know it would be a very ballpark figure that you could give me, I'm just wandering so I can think about what I need to save!

Thank you very much! :worship:
Old 5/29/05, 01:16 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
There is no set price. A body shop can paint and install the body for kit $700 -$1,000. When it is all said and done you'll be around $3K. That could be the difference of a special edition.
Old 5/29/05, 02:02 PM
V6 Member

Could you elaborate on this:

That could be the difference of a special edition.
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm trying to learn all I can.

And thank you very much for the quick reply, I knew there wouldn't be a set price I just wanted to know the rough neighborhood. It will be a few years from now until I am back in the states so just doing my homework now.
Old 5/29/05, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

I think he means for that price you might be able to get a Mach 1/ Bullitt / California Special when one comes out. These are special edition mustangs that are possibilities in the future.
Old 5/29/05, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why not just save up some more and buy a Roush? Just asking, because you can get some of the usual mods done by just buying the Roush!!
Old 5/29/05, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Well the dealer I go through actually works on our base, with a partnership setup with the government. It allows me to pay US dollar instead of UK Sterling off base, and avoid 17.5% VAT (tax). Also, I'm not even sure if he could get a hold of a pre-built Roush. I think I'll just stick with buying the 06 plain, have it paid off before I leave the country to go back to the US, and get the work done there. I appreciate all the info/tips! If you got anything else for me, please speak up!

:flag2: :flag2:
Old 5/29/05, 06:33 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Caleb@May 29, 2005, 4:05 PM
Could you elaborate...
IMO, it is not worth it. That $3K you will never get back. Matching the paint will be an issue if you are picky about details. And that front bumper looks hidious.

As for the special editions, we should see one within a year or two at a $4 to $5K markup over the GT. Then you have the different exterior look and additional performance straight from the factory.

Do a comparisson. Take an '03 or '04 Mach 1 or Cobra vs. a same year Roush or Saleen. You should get an idea.
Old 5/29/05, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where are you stationed, Caleb? I spent 2 years at R.A.F. Mildenhall.
Old 5/30/05, 04:49 AM
V6 Member

Yup I'm doing 3 years at RAF Mildenhall.
Old 5/30/05, 06:40 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. I've done a lot of TDY's from Offutt to RAF Mildenhall with the 55th Wing.
Old 5/30/05, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thats cool, Caleb!! I was stationed there back in the late '80's, then visited again just before the 1st gulf war. I had a lot of fun there!!! Been a while but if memory serves me, it was the 513th FMS I was in!!
Old 6/1/05, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Caleb, 1Bullitt makes a good point. I went the Roush route purely because I wanted something which will look markedly different from a stock GT, but which didn't detract from the aggressive style of the 05 (I looked at the Saleen, but it was too much BMW meets Vette). The rear end (which comes in for the most cr@p) really sets the car off, what with those exhaust tips and the Roush valance. The rear bumper inserts, a cosmetic reflection of the exhaust tips, even look good in person. Until I'd seen the car in person, those inserts were dissuading me from "Roushing" my car.

I dunno if you've seen a Roush in person, but if you think you like it just from photos, you'll die when you see it in person. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but that's not a bad thing either!

If you're reasoning is the same, then something like the Roush is the way to go - the SE's are/will be more abundant than Saleen/Roush/CDC etc. (I've only seen 1 other Roush in SoCal, a couple of Saleens, but lots of Mach's).

If, however, you're just looking for something a little less abundant than the regular GT, then 1Bullitt's spot on - go for one of the more cost-effective SE's. That said, I haven't read anything on any confirmed dates for any SE's (haven't been looking, mind).

Bottom line is, if you like the Roush look and it's where you want to go, it's well worth the money!
Old 6/1/05, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

The part I'm drooling for the most of the kit is the quarter window louver kit. To me it would make a world of difference in how my Mustang looked. (This might seem out of proportion to some, but just seeing them gets me hyped!)

That part of the kit I've seen on ebay for $167, so there's a chance maybe I could just get that added and see how it suits me before I move on to bigger things.

Quick question about painting something like the quarter window louver, if the car was fairly new would you just need to have that part painted and attached, or would you still need the whole car repainted? Once again, complete noob question I would love to have answered by the pros. :worship:

Thanks!
Old 6/1/05, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Side louvers change the look of the car, for sure. don't know to what degree, without the rest of the kit, though.

As far as painting goes, since my car was in a crash, it was repainted at the time of the conversion, so the kit and car were done at the same time. My guess, though, is that Roush don't repaint the GT's they convert.