Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Carroll Shelby explains why there won't be IRS

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're completely different cars. The Mustang is 500lb. heavier (especially with that massive 5.4 in it!) with more rear mass for the suspension to bear and, especially in the case of the new GT500, has a lot more torque trying to be applied through those rear wheels than the RX-8 does. And the IRS in the RX-8 is likely designed more for light weight because of the car's "road racer" appeal, meaning it's going to be designed only to withstand the basic needs of the car's power--in this case, less than 200ft-lb. of torque coming from that Renesis rotary on its "low-torque" diet. There's no way you could even imagine them taking the lightweight IRS design of the RX-8 and applying it to the GT500 and just somehow having it magically work just as well.
Well, obviously, they would design an IRS with much heavier duty components (didn't think I had to add that, but then again...) But the design/engineering investment would be equivalent and the added material costs for the heavier duty components, maybe $100-200 max.

Overall vehicle weight would go up a bit, though the far more critical unsprung weight would plummet. But if vehicle weight were the overriding issues, then why the pig-iron engine block, way up front where you least want it for handling or off-the-line traction? Again, I think this is 90% cost cutting / 10% engineering decision with the bean counters winning out and Shelby, et al left to spout the company line (as long as they're signing his checks).
Old 3/23/05, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Montrose@March 23, 2005, 10:13 AM
If you really know how to drive, you don't need IRS.
If you really know how to drive, you don't need a V8 either.
Old 3/23/05, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 23, 2005, 9:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 23, 2005, 9:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SVTJayC@March 23, 2005, 9:46 AM
"In fact, the closest comparable car in terms of HP and torque that has an IRS that I can think of is the Ford GT"
How about the GTO? More HP, More Tq, According to R&T, handles better.
I think he was refering to just Ford's line of cars. Somehow I don't think GM will let Ford use their IRS in the Mustang.
[/b][/quote]

The Tbird (MN-12) had IRS from 89-97. Same IRS used in the Lincoln Mark 8, which had same HP and TQ as the current Mustang. The TBird S/C had more TQ. They sold very well, and were priced pretty low. Having owned a pair of them, this is why i can't possibly take Ford's "we did this to cut costs" line seriously.
Old 3/23/05, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need a 450+hp V8...not really.

Do you want a 450+hp V8....Oh, yeah, you want one of these.
Old 3/23/05, 08:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mkoesel+March 23, 2005, 9:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkoesel @ March 23, 2005, 9:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Montrose@March 23, 2005, 10:13 AM
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, you can Flintstone it just fine.
Old 3/23/05, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 23, 2005, 8:59 AM
...and why is it that just about every other performance car company on the face of the earth seems to be able to design great IRS systems for less than $5K. They should have farmed this part of the engineering to the Mazda team that came up with the RX-8s IRS, they seemed to have absolutely no trouble coming up with a state of the art IRS -- plus an aluminum multi-link front suspension -- on a $25K car.

What's Ford's excuse?
first of all the RX8 isn't a $25K car... and secondly, they aren't even putting out 250 hp.... trying to build an IRS that can handle even more torque and hp than the 475 or so that's going to be delivered would probably cost a little more to R&D then manufacture. Ford DOES NOT make a huge amount of money on Mustangs.... all of their profit comes from SUVs and trucks.... if you want to pay the same price people are paying for M3s and for Corvettes, then keep on cryin' about not getting your IRS. But until you see a price tag like that on a Mustang, shut up and put up, or go on down to the BWM store, or the Chevy store and get what you want.... an IRS. All the other cars with Carrol Shelby's name on them that have an IRS in them sell for well over $100K.
If Mazda can build a cheap IRS for the RX8, then perhaps you can modify one to fit in your Mustang, and then maybe you can put the rotary motor up front, because the V-8 will blow it all up in short order......
I don't mean to a complete A-hole here, but I get tired of people whining and crying about not getting their IRS, or the leather causes chafing on their butt, or the fog lights aren't even comparable to HD lights in BMWs.... you know... I understand that it's all a matter of opinion... but it's my opinion that there is too much vaginal bleeding going on about the IRS.
be happy that there is a 3 link solid axle instead of a new body on the fox chasis.

the end
Old 3/23/05, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 23, 2005, 10:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 23, 2005, 10:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by mkoesel@March 23, 2005, 9:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Montrose
@March 23, 2005, 10:13 AM

[/b][/quote]

Guess I touched a nerve with that one.

... there's still time to get your tail out from between your legs and formulate a real retort.
Old 3/23/05, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 23, 2005, 8:50 AM
Isn't the GT beating the M3 at all the race events?
I agree. I think people are make way to big of a deal about IRS. Who's on this board any way? You want IRS? But a Ford GT and stop complaining!
Old 3/23/05, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by mkoesel+March 23, 2005, 10:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkoesel @ March 23, 2005, 10:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@March 23, 2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by mkoesel@March 23, 2005, 9:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Montrose
@March 23, 2005, 10:13 AM

Guess I touched a nerve with that one.

... there's still time to get your tail out from between your legs and formulate a real retort.
[/b][/quote]
what?
Old 3/23/05, 09:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SVTJayC@March 23, 2005, 2:57 PM
Agreed. If Ford didn't intend to go all the way, they shouldn't have "called out" the M3.

Believe Me, If this Shelby/Cobra Mustang Didn't Compare To the Performance Of an M3 Then FORD Would Have Never "Called Out The M3" Plain and Simple! Ford Isn't Going to have Egg on their Face! FORD Has Extensivley Tested The New Car Against ALL Rivals To Bench Mark Performance! I Predict that this car will Hang Right In there with An M3 and Maybe Out Perform It!

It Is Currently Winning Almost Every Trans Am Race It has Been In. Against the Likes of BMW M3's, and Porche 911's.

All You Guys that are Getting So P.O.'d Just Because the Shelby Cobra Doesn't have an IRS Really Need to Get a GRIP! I Think You Guys are Just too HUNG UP on having the Bragging Rites "Oh Yeah, My Cobra Has A Sophisticated Multi Link Independant Rear Suspension" Who Gives a Rat's Ask? I'd Rather Brag My Mustang Cobra Can Whip Your BMW M3's Ask Any Day!

EVERYONE has Said That Even Though they Were Dissappointed to hear that the 05 Mustang Has a Solid Rear Axle, That they Seem to be Seriously Impressed With It's Performance! Get Over It! Ford Just Built a Better Mouse Trap/Solid Rear Axle, than The World Had Ever Experienced Before!
Old 3/23/05, 09:05 AM

I've driven my Probe over some rough roads while turning and the thing and loses front end traction, which creates the feeling of front-end push, while my Mustang doesn't, but loses a bit of rear traction. I have the GT model of the Probe.
Exactly. The Probe, as with most street cars, are very purposefully designed with a touch of understeer as that is a slightly more benign handling balance and less likely to get the average driver backing into the woods at 50mph. Addco has a nice, thicker rear anti roll bar that will reduce the understeer and give you a more ideal (for performance drivers) neutral balance. Might want to play with upping your front tire pressures a touch too. But that Probe IRS hangs in there like a Marine when the going gets tough.

As for the Stang, exactly, it does loose rear traction, but that's a consequence of a lack of suspension compliance and control over the rough stuff than anything purposefully designed in. And oversteer, especially as a result of a lack of contact with the road (rear axle coming off the ground over bumps) is a very dangerous and hard to control handling "quality" and certainly not one anyone would want. A bit of power-on, well controlled oversteer to balance the car coming out of a turn, fantastic, fishtailing around with the lively axle doing a Riverdance step, not.
Old 3/23/05, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by rhumb@March 23, 2005, 10:08 AM
I've driven my Probe over some rough roads while turning and the thing and loses front end traction, which creates the feeling of front-end push, while my Mustang doesn't, but loses a bit of rear traction. I have the GT model of the Probe.
Exactly. The Probe, as with most street cars, are very purposefully designed with a touch of understeer as that is a slightly more benign handling balance and less likely to get the average driver backing into the woods at 50mph. Addco has a nice, thicker rear anti roll bar that will reduce the understeer and give you a more ideal (for performance drivers) neutral balance. Might want to play with upping your front tire pressures a touch too. But that Probe IRS hangs in there like a Marine when the going gets tough.

As for the Stang, exactly, it does loose rear traction, but that's a consequence of a lack of suspension compliance and control over the rough stuff than anything purposefully designed in. And oversteer, especially as a result of a lack of contact with the road (rear axle coming off the ground over bumps) is a very dangerous and hard to control handling "quality" and certainly not one anyone would want. A bit of power-on, well controlled oversteer to balance the car coming out of a turn, fantastic, fishtailing around with the lively axle doing a Riverdance step, not.
Why are we comparing a FWD car to a RWD car?
Old 3/23/05, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

I am surprised by those who feel the new car will ride so badly. I have yet to ride inor drive the first "normal" SVT Mustang that did not seem to ride better than it's GT brethren. When you are good at tuning a chassis there are often better roads to improved handling than simply adding stiffer springs and calling it a day.

If this car continues that SVT tradition then I expect the combination of slightly more composed ride and the bespoke seats will offer at least GT level comfort and likely a bit better than that, which is more than good enough for me.

Handling is a more legitimate concern and I think that this car, just like the 05GT, is likely going to handle very well indeed. Ford has delivered on everything they have claimed thus far, I hardly expect them start falling short now on this car.
Old 3/23/05, 09:16 AM

As for the seats, are they really any different, aside from the colors, from the stock GT seats? To my eye, they look identical in shape, contouring and padding. Not that the GT seats are bad by any means, but just as with the rear suspension, I expected an upgrade going into an SVT version. A nice set of Recaros or Sparcos would be sweet.
Old 3/23/05, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah the seats don't do it for me. Right out of the 60's.
Old 3/23/05, 09:19 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jsaylor@March 23, 2005, 11:12 AM
Handling is a more legitimate concern and I think that this car, just like the 05GT, is likely going to handle very well indeed. Ford has delivered on everything they have claimed thus far, I hardly expect them start falling short now on this car.
We'll see JL, we'll see. I'm concerned about that behemoth under the hood. Oh it'll have gobs of power and torque, but that's a lot of weight to be carrying over the front wheels.
Old 3/23/05, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

I think it all boils down to price. If they are going to use a SRA and price it around $45k (which the Shelby name may suggest), then this no longer becomes a high value car (which is the whole point of a Mustang).

Forget the 333hp M3, what about the 400hp, 3180# Vette?
Old 3/23/05, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 0-60 time they are quoting doesn't really make it perform at a premium to the 05 GTO either.
Old 3/23/05, 09:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Where is the IRS **** when we need him?
Old 3/23/05, 09:35 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I can't wait for some road tests to pass judgement. Maybe a M4 (Isn't that what BMW is calling the new 2-door M3?), GT500, and base 'Vette comparison.

Quick Reply: Carroll Shelby explains why there won't be IRS