Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Car Buyers Sue Ford Over "limited edition"

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/08, 09:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the judicial systems time is wasted with stupid, yes I said stupid, lawsuits like this. People sue for anything these days. A local woman is suing another person after a car accident. What happened was she ran a red light and hit another car. She is suing the person of the other car because she found out the person was speeding. Her case is "If she wasn't speeding she would not have been in the intersection when I ran the red light". I have less hope for the survival of the human race on a daily basis.
Old 8/7/08, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
I think the judicial systems time is wasted with stupid, yes I said stupid, lawsuits like this. People sue for anything these days. A local woman is suing another person after a car accident. What happened was she ran a red light and hit another car. She is suing the person of the other car because she found out the person was speeding. Her case is "If she wasn't speeding she would not have been in the intersection when I ran the red light". I have less hope for the survival of the human race on a daily basis.
NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8/7/08, 10:00 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by TMSBrad
It's all about how a "reasonable person" would interpret Roush's 2007 BlackJack press release, which said, "ROUSH Performance is set to offer a limited edition run of 100 ROUSH Stage 3 BlackJack Mustangs."

Does that imply 100 2007 ROUSH Stage 3 BlackJack Mustangs, or 100 ROUSH Stage 3 BlackJack Mustangs ever?

To me, that sheds a whole new light on the subject (100 Roush Stage 3 BlackJack Mustangs - not mentioning the year).

I still hope they lose. Its a CAR - not an investment. Drive it and enjoy it.
Old 8/7/08, 06:33 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Under $49K and new:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-....c0.m245.l1308

Old 8/7/08, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SStang
This has nothing to do with the merits of the case, but a possible reason for Ford getting dragged into it: Does ownership transfer to Roush before the original owner makes the purchase? I know it doesn't with Saleen (and I think Shelby). If not, then it's a new, never titled car sold by the company listed on the MSO, which would be Ford.
Perhaps. There is still the issue that Ford does not produce Black Jack edition Mustangs, nor do they advertise that they do.

Ford however does produce many more than 100 Mustangs, and one would have to be living under a rock to not know that.
Old 8/7/08, 10:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
You'd think something that desirable as an "investment" wouldn't still be for sale

Even more rare than a 2007

even more rare then the 2007 BlackJacks! 84 coupes will be made, and ONLY 16 convertables, for a total of 100 ever to be built for the 2008 model year. Selling these at MSRP.........NO ADDITIONAL DEALER MARKUP!

I wonder how many in that suit are just upset because they paid mark up on theirs?
Old 8/8/08, 09:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
$12 million in "damages"? 100 people? $120k each in "damages" and they paid $58K for the car. Do they really deserve twice the value of the car just because Roush decided to make another 100 for 2008?

What a BS lawsuit.
typical class action...12million bucks, 100 people+ 1 lawyer...I'm guessing 1 person will get 99.9% of anything they might(doubtful) get, and the other hundred will get to split a few bucks...

look at that massive cigarette lawsuit- didnt like a billion dollars go to lawyers and 50 cents towards a tv commercial or something clost to those proportions? disgusting. Ford ought to sue them back for any and all legal fees for defending this as everyone involved must know Roush built/sold the addon stuff, not ford. they go for the deepest pockets in hope of settling out of court as its often cheeper to just pay the out of court than pay legal fees...Far, far too much of this legal blackmail goes on just about daily- would love to see the tables turned.

Ive always felt the easiest way to clear up the courts might be: make it loser pays both legal fees...if folks got nothing to lose, its no sweat off their back to go along with the whiplash thing when a lawyer calls them up after seeing their name listed as been in a accident...a buddy of mine got in a fender-bender and got like 20 attorneys calling him at home offering to 'get him the compensation he deserved'...another buddy got rearended, lawyer insisted the hospital checkups/therapy...dragged thru court for a year they got like about 1500 bucks, the lawyer about 20K...funny thing was right after his wife rearended somebody. 'Oh they are fine' she said, but I had to rub it in a little: ' man, now they can go back like 15 years to sue...hope in the next 15 years they dont decide to sue you, a lot of folks will go along with a lawyer especially if 'no settlement/no fee' type representation offered to them..."
its been like ten years now, no lawsuit yet
Old 8/9/08, 04:02 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by RCSignals
I wonder how many in that suit are just upset because they paid mark up on theirs?
Most dealers tried but failed at selling BlackJacks over the Roush MSRP when they first came out, following the tracks of the Saleen PJ. The dealers's main nemesis has not only been the high cost of the aftermarket upgrades but the poor resale value.
Old 8/10/08, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't see anyone sueing Wall street companys for there investments not making the kind of money they think they should.... get a grip.....
Old 8/11/08, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
How is it Ford's fault that the consumer was a sucker and he paid too **** much for it.
That's not the point. If they purchased a vehicle that was sold as a limited edition (fixed # made) and the manufacturer disregarded that, they have a valid complaint. Some people may be sue happy, but sometimes it can be a good thing, keeping corps in check.

Originally Posted by Tispco
+1 I agree. I don't think Ford has any liability here. I hope this case is thrown out. It is just stupid!
Yeah, I'd be interested to know how come Roush isn't involved in this...unless the article is screwed up.

Anyone got any more details?

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Its a CAR - not an investment.
But if they DID purchase the car as an investment, it's a concern (in that regard). Some people do invest in cars. Whether we agree with what people do with their money or not, if Ford/Roush did something underhanded, they deserve to get slammed for it.
Old 8/12/08, 02:25 AM
Cobra Member

If the plaintiffs' case is "we bought these cars because of an expected increased value in time", then they're screwed. Neither Roush nor Ford guaranteed a higher resale value and no judge will rule in favour of such commercial speculation. It's not a bank deposit with a guaranteed investment return, it's a car. If you buy it and drive it, it's devalued. If you buy it and never take it out of the garage, you're an idiot.

John Doe's Roush BlackJack will lose value in time. Steve McQueen's Ford Pinto would sell for $100k today. You're nobody, so your "limited edition" car will be worth less in 30 years than Paris Hilton's pink pogo stick. Sad but true.

Last edited by Louie; 8/12/08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 8/13/08, 05:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by travelers
I don't see anyone sueing Wall street companys for there investments not making the kind of money they think they should.... get a grip.....
Maybe you should read the business section more. People sue Wall Street companies all the time when their investments don't make the kind of money they think they should. Especially if the companies engage in fraud or something like that...
Old 8/13/08, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Louie

John Doe's Roush BlackJack will lose value in time. Steve McQueen's Ford Pinto would sell for $100k today. You're nobody, so your "limited edition" car will be worth less in 30 years than Paris Hilton's pink pogo stick. Sad but true.
LMAO!!!