Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

C6 Z06 $65.8k -- If the Shelby is $40k then

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/05, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.digitalcorvettes.com posted a Chevy press release saying the base price for the C6Z06 will be $65,800 (which incl destination). Fully loaded in the low 70s. The press release states 0-60 is 3.7 secs, all in first gear. If the Shelby comes in at $40k base and 475hp, then which do you think is the better performance value?
Old 6/13/05, 06:59 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
That would depend on the value and importance that is place on handling. If that happens to be the primary intangible, the GT500 doesn't stand a chance.
Old 6/13/05, 11:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is question that could be heavily debated.

Price aside, the Z06 will dominate. It is everything we wish the GT500 was. Light weight, cutting edge technology (magnesium/aluminum/carbon fiber), basically sex on wheels.

value, of coarse the Gt500 at nearly half the cost is a great value. That is where I am putting my money. On the baddest Mustang to ever hit the street out of the factory. It might be heavy, but, it is beautiful, affordable and fast as all get out. It will be worth every penny.

George, why did you sell that Bullitt? Any regrets, yet?
Old 6/14/05, 07:16 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@June 14, 2005, 1:44 AM
George, why did you sell that Bullitt? Any regrets, yet?
None at all. I had the opportunity to sell it almost $3k above the average, mainly due to low mileage and its showroom condition.

My favorite Mustang design is the 1968's. The Bullitt is a nice car but was sort of a substitute with features supplementing and simulating the original. The new design is more up to par to the classic, only better and without any rust. With the exception of the DHG color and the performance of the Cobra, my '06 GT will have everything I've was hoping to have in a Mustang. I can live with black and the 300 hp. If need be, it will not be difficult or expensive to increase its performance by 10%.
Old 6/14/05, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

give me the Shelby, if I'm using my money
if price was no object than I'd take the Vette out of the two, but if price was no object, I'd probably go above the Vette anyway
Old 6/14/05, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

IMO, I think they are of equal value. But they are totally different cars and if I were to choose, I'll take the Shelby. The more important question is, how will this compare to the Ford GT at three time the cost? I think that is a more reasonable comparison. Those performance figures are closing in on the the GT.
Old 6/14/05, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

I know this is a little off topic, and I apologize, but the previous post about the Ford GT made me think of it. I was in a dealership the other day that had a $300,000 price tag on a GT. Other dealers seem no lower than $250,000. Now, maybe I am alone, but there is no way in hades that I would buy a Ford for that much money, particularly with all the problems they have had. Would you agree that by placing such a premium on them, dealers are pricing them out of the market for which they were originally intended (the $150,000 really expensive, but not crazy supercar market)? I just can't see if I have $300k to spend on a car, spending it on a Ford instead of a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or even a Porsche (obviously much less than $300k). Comments? I have been wondering about the pricing of the GT for some time now.
Old 6/14/05, 09:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 14, 2005, 9:11 AM
I know this is a little off topic, and I apologize, but the previous post about the Ford GT made me think of it. I was in a dealership the other day that had a $300,000 price tag on a GT. Other dealers seem no lower than $250,000. Now, maybe I am alone, but there is no way in hades that I would buy a Ford for that much money, particularly with all the problems they have had. Would you agree that by placing such a premium on them, dealers are pricing them out of the market for which they were originally intended (the $150,000 really expensive, but not crazy supercar market)? I just can't see if I have $300k to spend on a car, spending it on a Ford instead of a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or even a Porsche (obviously much less than $300k). Comments? I have been wondering about the pricing of the GT for some time now.
Typically when you see a price tag that high, the car has already been agreed to be sold at a lower price to someone. The dealership just marks the price up to keep it on the floor until the sale goes final. That's not always the case though. They also mark it up just to keep it in the showroom, it doesn't help bring in anymore foot traffic if the car is in someone's garage.
Old 6/14/05, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@June 14, 2005, 9:18 AM
Typically when you see a price tag that high, the car has already been agreed to be sold at a lower price to someone. The dealership just marks the price up to keep it on the floor until the sale goes final. That's not always the case though. They also mark it up just to keep it in the showroom, it doesn't help bring in anymore foot traffic if the car is in someone's garage.
Must be the latter b/c this car has been on the showroom floor with that $300,000 price for at least 3 months.
Old 6/14/05, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=crazyhorse,June 13, 2005, 10:44 PM]

Price aside, the Z06 will dominate. It is everything we wish the GT500 was. Light weight, cutting edge technology (magnesium/aluminum/carbon fiber), basically sex on wheels.

Ok...price aside...buy a Ford GT. It will dominate Z06's.Park a GT next to a Z06 and the Vette is virtually ignored.
Old 6/14/05, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by hayburner@June 14, 2005, 9:24 AM
Ok...price aside...buy a Ford GT. It will dominate Z06's.Park a GT next to a Z06 and the Vette is virtually ignored.
Price aside, buy a Lamborghini Murcielago. It will dominate the GTs. Park a Lambo next to a GT, and the the GT is virtually ignored.
Old 6/14/05, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 14, 2005, 8:29 AM
Price aside, buy a Lamborghini Murcielago. It will dominate the GTs. Park a Lambo next to a GT, and the the GT is virtually ignored.

Gotta disagree...Lambo is cool,but I'd tend to ignore it. Always wanted a GT40.Italian cars are just Italian cars to me.
Old 6/14/05, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=hayburner,June 14, 2005, 10:24 AM]
Originally Posted by crazyhorse,June 13, 2005, 10:44 PM

I agree, but, the question was about the Z06 vs Shelby, not GT or Porsche Carrera GT or whatever.
Old 6/14/05, 10:07 AM
FR500 Member

its not worth that much......but the shelby is
Old 6/14/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 14, 2005, 9:11 AM

Tim great point and IMO that's exactly the mistake made with the most recent T-Bird....I was interested in the car....until I got to the dealership and there was a $10K "Market Adjustment" gouge factor - I believe the greedy dealers had a large role in killing off the new "retro" T-bird.....by the time they couldn't sell them and lowered the price - they had killed it - in the public's eye! And keep in mind this was not really a "limited" production vehicle - Ford would have built all they could sell....I still see a few of them on dealer lots......what a shame - was on a great platform (Lincoln LS) and given enough volume - perhaps we could have seen a performance version......my '01 LS is still the best balanced/handling car I've ever owned.
Old 6/14/05, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 14, 2005, 9:20 AM
Must be the latter b/c this car has been on the showroom floor with that $300,000 price for at least 3 months.
The dealers brains don't work as fast as thier mouths. They are in dreamland if they think they will get that much when on Ebay you can get one for 188K and falling

Sorry, off topic.
Old 6/14/05, 03:04 PM

In terms of value, I would rate the Z06 at least equal or probably better than the GT500. The level of value added engineering on the Z06 over the already very impressive base Vette specs is astounding for the price and far surpasses the level of value added engineering/features that the GT500 has over the base Stang GT. Granted the Z06 cost a fair penny more than the GT500, but man, look at what you're getting and there will be few cars of any price that will be able to touch it.

In terms of outright performance, the Z06 will obviously crush the GT500 in all arenas. While the GT500 has a very impressive motor, it is also pushing a lot more deadweight and air resistance. Chassis and brake performance is an obvious give away to the Vette, which is just vastly better equipped in these areas. Not to say the GT500 will be a mule, it won't be at all, its just that the Z06 looks to be on a whole other performance plane above it.

As to which one to get? Well, a lot of that has a lot to do with how much coin one may have rattling about in their tin cup. While the Z06 may be the superior value overall, it is significantly more expensive too and thus, less affordable. So perhaps some of the question might be which is the better value and which is more affordable (cheaper). The latter does not necessarily imply the former.
Old 6/14/05, 06:47 PM

The Z06 might be the better performer, but do you think the Shelby gives the best "bang for the buck" ??
Old 6/14/05, 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just a FYI, Len Stoler has a Red Ford GT with white strips sitting on the showroom floor. I think they are asking $220,000.00 for it. I think thats on the low side of this for this car.
Old 6/14/05, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

It should be a comparison of a GT500 to the regular Vette. Then compare the z06 to a viper. Then a Ford GT to a High end sports car (Porshe, Ferarri, Lambo, Etc...)

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 $65.8k -- If the Shelby is $40k then