Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

'07 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/04, 07:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BlackRiderX@May. 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I figure it can be anywhere from 40 to 55K. Whatever SE is brought out will be the mid 30s car.
I don't think they will be that high. Ford will price themselves right out of the market IMHO.

One of the reasons the GTO is not selling is because dealers said that its priced too high. If a SE come out, and they price it in the mid 30s, they'll be sitting on delaers lots for a long time.
Old 5/26/04, 09:13 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you guys... I am thinking the Mach 1 is gonna come out not too long after job 1, and run around $28-$29k... then maybe a Cobra in the mid to high 30's. Mestizo... what you said about the GTO being faster or not than the GT. I got the scoop on that. I watched a special on Speed TV on the GTO... just curious about the competition... the GTO does 0-60 in 5.4 and 5.3 seconds, with the automatic and manual, respectively. The Mustang GT does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. So, I just don't see how the GTO is gonna sell. Sure it's got more horsepower, but you are spending thousands more to get the same speed, because the thing weighs so much. And it really is ugly. I'm just wondering if I should lease the '05 Mustang for 2 or 3 years, and then when the lease is up- get me a new Cobra. It'll be out by then, for sure. Any thoughts on this, anyone?
Old 5/26/04, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, lease the 05 GT, and then get the Cobra. The Cobra is going to be bad. Bad, as in really mean looks and a ton of horsepower. I really believe the Cobra will be worth every penny.
Old 5/26/04, 09:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 428CJ@May. 26th, 2004, 9:32 AM
Yes, lease the 05 GT, and then get the Cobra. The Cobra is going to be bad. Bad, as in really mean looks and a ton of horsepower. I really believe the Cobra will be worth every penny.
In other words, it'll be sick.
Old 5/26/04, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by acadian@May. 26th, 2004, 11:16 AM
I agree with you guys... I am thinking the Mach 1 is gonna come out not too long after job 1, and run around $28-$29k... then maybe a Cobra in the mid to high 30's. Mestizo... what you said about the GTO being faster or not than the GT. I got the scoop on that. I watched a special on Speed TV on the GTO... just curious about the competition... the GTO does 0-60 in 5.4 and 5.3 seconds, with the automatic and manual, respectively. The Mustang GT does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. So, I just don't see how the GTO is gonna sell. Sure it's got more horsepower, but you are spending thousands more to get the same speed, because the thing weighs so much. And it really is ugly. I'm just wondering if I should lease the '05 Mustang for 2 or 3 years, and then when the lease is up- get me a new Cobra. It'll be out by then, for sure. Any thoughts on this, anyone?
I hear ya I think the GTO should have had a more retro design. Basing the car on the Grand Prix was not such a great idea its too plain
Old 5/26/04, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gotmy05+May. 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gotmy05 @ May. 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-acadian@May. 26th, 2004, 11:16 AM
I hear ya I think the GTO should have had a more retro design. Basing the car on the Grand Prix was not such a great idea its too plain [/b][/quote]
The GTO is not based on the Grand Prix. It is based on the Holden Monaro, built and designed in Australia. When they designed the Monaro, they didn't have a Grand Prix in mind. The only thing on the front fascia that is different from the Monaro are the twin grilles. The headlights are the same as the Monaro, the foglights are in the same position as the Monaro, the taillights are the same as the Monaro. The twin grilles make it look like a Grand Prix, but then what do you expect? Every Pontiac has the twin grilles, just like every BMW has the twin grilles. Its corporate identity. They want you to know its a Pontiac.
Old 5/26/04, 11:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Flyinlow@May. 26th, 2004, 1:03 PM
They want you to know it lacks originality.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 5/26/04, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer my car to stand out from the myriad of others out there.

What other car out there looks exactly like a Mustang ...from Ford .. NOTHING.

Corporate identity my eye. It's called being extremly lazy in the development/design department.
Old 5/26/04, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

It's called saving money by using as much of an existing design as possible.

A lot of people on these forums are asking why Ford doesn't bring over some of the FOA cars... well, that's exactly what GM did with the GTO. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the GTO much either, but I wouldn't call it lazy, just poor execution.
Old 5/26/04, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mr-mstng+May. 26th, 2004, 7:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mr-mstng @ May. 26th, 2004, 7:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@May. 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I figure it can be anywhere from 40 to 55K. Whatever SE is brought out will be the mid 30s car.
I don't think they will be that high. Ford will price themselves right out of the market IMHO.

One of the reasons the GTO is not selling is because dealers said that its priced too high. If a SE come out, and they price it in the mid 30s, they'll be sitting on delaers lots for a long time. [/b][/quote]
Rob,

Ford has been pushing the current Cobra up and up every year in price the same way GM has kept adding costs to the Corvette. They are pushing the prices up so that we are not in sticker shock when we see the new models come out. Some Cobra's are over 40K MSRP right now!

As for the GTO; a lot of reasons are to blame for low sales but I would point my finger at styling before blaming the dealer markups. My neighbor bought a black one which wasn't marked up but it looks like every other Pontiac I see. At first I thought it was a Grand Prix!

Will a 40-50K Cobra sell? Saleen prices are in the same ballpark and they don't have many problems moving cars, even with limited Saleen authorized dealerships. If the car has Corvette performance and BMW quality it has a good chance. Having Shelby's name on it will be just an extra for Ford.
Old 5/26/04, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

We have a $40350 Cobra convertible in stock now. I hope the prices don't go up to much more, but they're almost 50k now.
Old 5/26/04, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BlackRiderX+May. 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ May. 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mr-mstng@May. 26th, 2004, 7:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX
@May. 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM

One of the reasons the GTO is not selling is because dealers said that its priced too high. If a SE come out, and they price it in the mid 30s, they'll be sitting on delaers lots for a long time.
Rob,

Ford has been pushing the current Cobra up and up every year in price the same way GM has kept adding costs to the Corvette. They are pushing the prices up so that we are not in sticker shock when we see the new models come out. Some Cobra's are over 40K MSRP right now!

As for the GTO; a lot of reasons are to blame for low sales but I would point my finger at styling before blaming the dealer markups. My neighbor bought a black one which wasn't marked up but it looks like every other Pontiac I see. At first I thought it was a Grand Prix!

Will a 40-50K Cobra sell? Saleen prices are in the same ballpark and they don't have many problems moving cars, even with limited Saleen authorized dealerships. If the car has Corvette performance and BMW quality it has a good chance. Having Shelby's name on it will be just an extra for Ford. [/b][/quote]
The Saleens don't sell that well. The reason - a lot more performance from a $35k Cobra. they will raise the price, but not that much. I say $38k for coupe.
Old 5/26/04, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford wants to keep their mustang customers and get some of old f body customers I really do not believe a new cobra price will be as a big increase as some believe, it goes against the mustang theory to price it out of reason, look for the new cobra to increase 1000 to 2500.
Old 5/26/04, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@May. 26th, 2004, 5:46 AM
I don't agree that they are pointless. The speculation is building hype about the car and getting me and a lot of other potential buyers very excited about it. I haven't owned a Mustang since 1996. I can either buy the current or spend my time getting geared up for the next one. In that respect, these threads serve a purpose to pacify me and keep me from buying the current Cobra. It is a one shot deal for me. I will only buy one and keep it forever. I'd rather get the new style and hopefully 500hp version. I don't want SMG.
People rarely keep cars forever, thus the reason why you see 2-3-4 owner 1968 Shelby GT500KR's.

I thought the same thing back in 1996 when I bought my 305HP Cobra Convertible, and now it hardly ever leaves the garage and is going up for sale here in the next two weeks. Never say never.

I have to make room in the garage for Ford's latest and greatest, and I see no reason to hang on to a depreciable asset that hardly gets used, let alone the insurance costs.

When the new Cobra comes out, some people will love it, some will complain about it.

After talking with J Mays at the Detroit auto show, it will be much more expensive than the current version, will be tighter, and more refined. It may have SMG, it may not, but either way, plan on spending some big $$ over the current version for a car that really won't compare to the current, outdated 2003-4 variety.

Will they sell with a 45-50K price tag? My guess is at least in the first year, they will fly off the shelf like hot cakes. From there, only time will tell.
Old 5/26/04, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I will have kids getting cars then go to college after that. I have a narrow window to buy my toy. I may sell it someday, but probably after kids are out of college. My son is only 4, so that will be a long time. It'll be hard for me to replace it, if I sell it before then. Obviously, if it has problems, i won't keep it.
Old 5/26/04, 04:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Shelby Roadster+May. 26th, 2004, 1:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shelby Roadster @ May. 26th, 2004, 1:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@May. 26th, 2004, 5:46 AM
I don't agree that they are pointless. The speculation is building hype about the car and getting me and a lot of other potential buyers very excited about it. I haven't owned a Mustang since 1996. I can either buy the current or spend my time getting geared up for the next one. In that respect, these threads serve a purpose to pacify me and keep me from buying the current Cobra. It is a one shot deal for me. I will only buy one and keep it forever. I'd rather get the new style and hopefully 500hp version. I don't want SMG.
People rarely keep cars forever, thus the reason why you see 2-3-4 owner 1968 Shelby GT500KR's.

I thought the same thing back in 1996 when I bought my 305HP Cobra Convertible, and now it hardly ever leaves the garage and is going up for sale here in the next two weeks. Never say never.

I have to make room in the garage for Ford's latest and greatest, and I see no reason to hang on to a depreciable asset that hardly gets used, let alone the insurance costs.

When the new Cobra comes out, some people will love it, some will complain about it.

After talking with J Mays at the Detroit auto show, it will be much more expensive than the current version, will be tighter, and more refined. It may have SMG, it may not, but either way, plan on spending some big $$ over the current version for a car that really won't compare to the current, outdated 2003-4 variety.

Will they sell with a 45-50K price tag? My guess is at least in the first year, they will fly off the shelf like hot cakes. From there, only time will tell. [/b][/quote]
I'm keeping my future Mustang forever, and that's a fact. Unless of course it got mutilated or stolen. But for normal circumstances it's mine tilll I die
Old 5/26/04, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tangs3@May. 26th, 2004, 1:54 PM
Ford wants to keep their mustang customers and get some of old f body customers I really do not believe a new cobra price will be as a big increase as some believe, it goes against the mustang theory to price it out of reason, look for the new cobra to increase 1000 to 2500.
Says who? They will probably aim a special edition car at that crowd. So far we have more indication that the car is going up in price rather than staying the same.

BTW; if we are believing everything Mays' says about the car then it will have 500 HP and quite possibly the SMG as an option. I don't see that costing only 1-2K more.
Old 5/26/04, 05:44 PM
Banned

Whats SMG? Its slipping my mind.
Old 5/26/04, 06:09 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Sequential Manual Gearbox

Bascially a paddle shifted manual gearbox where the gears and clutch are controlled by servo motors and electronics as opposed to you.

This is different from an autostick (example) where it is an automatic transmission and you can change the shift points.