V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Why do performance mods on a V6?

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/08, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had two previous V6 Models, both had plenty of power for my needs. My current 2005 V6 is another mustang with plenty of power for my use. I am not a drag racer nor do I have the need to do burn outs. The V6 as I ordered it in September 2004 with tax etc was $28,800.00 in Canada, the GT at the same time was running around $36-38500.00 depending on what accessories a buyer might want. I have put about $8000.00 into the 05 V6 over the past four years ($2000.00 per year), this is the case for most mustang owners they do modifications a bit at a time as money becomes available. My mods are a mixture of performance and looks. The gas mileage was a big consideration. The other factor was were was I going to be able to use the power of a GT on city streets, legally? Even the power of the V6 attracts the attention of law enforcement. While I like the looks of the GT and applaud those that do own them, I have no desire for a GT. By the way even with my performance mods the horsepower (235-240) gain is nowwhere near a GT.

Last edited by poldrv; 10/6/08 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10/9/08, 04:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
See I knew what this thread would turn into....................
Despite some accusations to the contrary, it wasn't meant to. I think most have handled themselves in a mature and intelligent fashion.
Old 10/9/08, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Despite some accusations to the contrary, it wasn't meant to. I think most have handled themselves in a mature and intelligent fashion.
I know, the nerve of some people We all know V6's are for girls, There's no need to rub it in.
Old 10/9/08, 09:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by touring
I know, the nerve of some people We all know V6's are for girls, There's no need to rub it in.
Why? To be funny? Nobody's laughing. You're just making an *** out of yourself.
Old 10/9/08, 09:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. This has been moved to the V6 Performance section.
2. Why not mod a v6?

I see some people are still rather ignorant these days.
Old 10/9/08, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

This kind of logic could be applied to any type of car. Why mod a GT when you could have spent the money and gotten a GT500. Why mod a GT500 when you could have gotten a Corvette? Why would a Corvette when you could have gotten a viper? Sometimes you gotta just work with what you got at the moment. Its your money so spend it however you want and on whatever makes you happy. I dont feel the need to defend my car or my choices on how I spend my own money to anyone else.
Old 10/9/08, 09:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,

I'll chime in here. For me, I have always wanted to own an American V8. I love the rumble and power. Now, this is just my personal observation, but I don't see too many females in GTs, mostly V6s. I think this can simply be attributed to the fact that most women are not concerned with going fast, cubic inches, etc., and simply like the aesthetics of the car. If the S197 came with a 4-banger most women would probably go for that.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with a guy driving a V6. There are some wicked fast V6s out there that will eat most GTs. I guess my point is simply that the V6s have the most mass appeal to the broadest audience since they are more affordable, fuel efficient, cost less to insure, and basically share the same looks.

Last edited by Rebel73; 10/9/08 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10/9/08, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Why? To be funny? Nobody's laughing. You're just making an *** out of yourself.
Am i ? this board is about opinions and i said what i wanted. Why are you getting angry for? your the one who looks like as ***. I'm just having fun.Since this has been moved to the girl section, i have no need to look at this anymore. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by touring; 10/9/08 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10/9/08, 07:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Am i ? this board is about opinions and i said what i wanted. Why are you getting angry for? your the one who looks like as ***. I'm just having fun.Since this has been moved to the girl section, i have no need to look at this anymore. Thanks for the laugh.
I'm not upset, after all, I'm a man since I have a GT... right? Have fun sharing that little 4 cyl w/ your wife.

Oh well, bye bye.
Old 10/9/08, 10:37 PM
GT Member

blah! blah! blah!

First of all the stock GT has 300hp at the flywheel not the wheels, just like the V6 has 210hp at the flywheel. I bought a V6 premium for $22,000 which means it has all the bells and whistles that the GT has except the 4.6 V8. I added an X Charger to my V6 for $5,000 added duals with an X pipe for $500.00 the end result 344hp at the flywheel and 294.3 hp at the wheels, more then a stock GT and only roughly $ 28,000 ( includes xenon front bump and a GT takeoff rear bump) and even when I add an 8.8 with 3.73 gears I will still be under the price of an equally equipped GT and have about 20 - 25 more HP...money saved. I love it when I snap someone on the street and then have to show them that it is a V6.....look on their the face PRICELESS!
Old 10/9/08, 11:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustangcr8z
First of all the stock GT has 300hp at the flywheel not the wheels, just like the V6 has 210hp at the flywheel. I bought a V6 premium for $22,000 which means it has all the bells and whistles that the GT has except the 4.6 V8. I added an X Charger to my V6 for $5,000 added duals with an X pipe for $500.00 the end result 344hp at the flywheel and 294.3 hp at the wheels, more then a stock GT and only roughly $ 28,000 ( includes xenon front bump and a GT takeoff rear bump) and even when I add an 8.8 with 3.73 gears I will still be under the price of an equally equipped GT and have about 20 - 25 more HP...money saved. I love it when I snap someone on the street and then have to show them that it is a V6.....look on their the face PRICELESS!
I love the look on the face of a blown V6 owner when he thinks he's gonna show up a "bolt on" GT and gets spanked...PRICELESS!
Old 10/10/08, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I am all f...ed up, I have an 84 GT, a 2005 blown V6, and a 2008 GT, I rotate driving each one, they are all fun as hell, some of you guys are too funny, why do you care that someone else made a different choice than you, peer pressure should be dead after age 10. LOL I would love to have a 4 banger fox as a daily beater, have driven a few of them, they are also fun to drive.
Old 10/10/08, 04:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel73
Ok,

I'll chime in here. For me, I have always wanted to own an American V8. I love the rumble and power. Now, this is just my personal observation, but I don't see too many females in GTs, mostly V6s. I think this can simply be attributed to the fact that most women are not concerned with going fast, cubic inches, etc., and simply like the aesthetics of the car. If the S197 came with a 4-banger most women would probably go for that.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with a guy driving a V6. There are some wicked fast V6s out there that will eat most GTs. I guess my point is simply that the V6s have the most mass appeal to the broadest audience since they are more affordable, fuel efficient, cost less to insure, and basically share the same looks.
Not sure what part of the country you are from ... but I see ton's of Granny and older woman driving Mustangs GT's (usually convertibles) in the Atlanta area. I just figure they must have been really hip woman when they were younger ...
Old 10/10/08, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Not sure what part of the country you are from ... but I see ton's of Granny and older woman driving Mustangs GT's (usually convertibles) in the Atlanta area. I just figure they must have been really hip woman when they were younger ...
Interesting. Here in So. Cal, that just hasn't been my experience.

Last edited by Rebel73; 10/10/08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10/10/08, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

In my neck of the woods (NorCal), I see plenty of V6 Mustangs as rental cars. Privately owned Mustangs run the gamut. There is a really nice Vista Blue V6 that parks on my street periodically with nice stripes and some mods that is owned by a High School kid who visits. There is also many V6's that seem to be driven more by women as well. I see more V8's than V6's and every so often I see a pack of modded ones going to a meet or just out rallying. I have noticed that the predominant V8 owner is a male between 20 and 40+ years old in this area. When I drop into one of the dealerships in the city I work during the night, I see mostly V8's parked for sale. I don't know if this means that they sold all the V6's, or if they stock more V8's because they are in higher demand. It's all good as long as you own what you want to own. Some of my observations about why purchase or mod a V6 have been confirmed by this thread, but I also learned several reasons that I had not thought of before. You can teach an old dog new tricks...
Old 10/10/08, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm glad you started this thread. I never interpreted it as a dig at V6 owners. I've also wondered about the reasons behind modding a V6 versus just getting a GT. I figured it was mainly for lower insurance costs but some of the responses have been enlightening.
Old 10/11/08, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't intend to MOD mine when I bought it. I had a Ford Expedition and traded it on the Mustang to get better MPG ... but when I got a complete GT500 body kit thanks to somebody running running a red light .. I figured what the heck ... let the performance mods begin to match the body.
Old 10/12/08, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my v-6 cause I drive 80 miles a day and all my other fords are v-8s so if i want o go really fast from red light to red light I take the 37 ford with the 85 gt mustang motor in it. but the v-6 in the long run will pass it as i'd need to stop for gas more often in the rod. the way my v-6 was optioned the only difference between my interior and a gt 500 is the snakes on the headrest, the leather on the e brake, and the red stitching on shift boot steering wheel. Also got 6 grand off the price in rebates and what not. Insurance cost was another plus even though I'm over 40 still live in NY so high insurance. Plus only second vehicle out of the 100s i"ve owned that i bought new, so nice to work on bolts that are not rusty or covered in grease lol. last reason not a big fan of the gt fog lights. Right now running a single gt take off muffler sounds good not importy, been collecting parts to switch to duals for looks mainly will have about $200 in my dual set up,. So guess asecond reason would be gt take off parts ore cheap
Old 10/12/08, 10:37 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its nice to see that at least MOST of the people here acted mature and serious. I'm especailly glad in the way the original poster handled himself. Definitely not the typical GT/V6 sort of debate, which usually just degenerates (more than this one has)

anyhow, I think its worth it to mod the 6. Sure the 4.6L has more potential on that infinite plane of mods, but thats to be expected. You can still make a fast car out of a 6, and have alot of fun with it.

Some of us have modded IIs , and some of us still had tried to mod their IIs when they were still V6s, so we know the feeling when people say "why bother?" The reason I switched to a V8 in my II is because there simple is NIL in the way of available parts for the old 2.8L
Old 10/12/08, 02:12 PM

So you shouldn't have bought it, V6's are made for girls. Are you a female?
Got an ET for any of your cars?

Originally Posted by Rebel73
I love the look on the face of a blown V6 owner when he thinks he's gonna show up a "bolt on" GT and gets spanked...PRICELESS!
A mustang is a mustang! But since you bring up the GT...

No bolt on GT ever beat me when I had the 4.0 with the turbo...ever. And I got a TON of passes on it. And since I bought this car, I only lost to a handful of GT's, all of them were fully built up mid to low 10 second cars (3 of them were good friends of mine). I took down built up and FI GT's easily.

The 4.6 3V is a great motor. Responses well to bolt ons, not difficult to push into the low 13's and 12's. Reponds great to boost, and has some great top end. It's not the holy grail of mustang power plants, but its still a **** good motor.

By the way, got any ET's for your car, or are we just going to bench race in this thread?

Know what I love about the track, you don't get the same level of ego contests like you do on the internet. Don't get me wrong, there are aholes at the track talking smack, but its very rare and most of the time, everyone helps everyone else out regardless of power plant.

We are all on the same team here? Right? We all own mustangs?

@To the OP,

I loved modding my V6. If mid 11's were enough for me in the long run, a 4.0 would still be under my hood. It's a great sleeper car, block is strong and can handle boost well. I was enjoying a mid 11 second car last year that got 25mpg. Can't complain about that. And to me, both cars lead in their respective markets...ie price/performance ratio. Look at this this way...

-V6: Can be had for under 20k, less than 1k of bolt ons pushes it into the 14's on street tires
-V8: Can be had for mid 20's, less than 1k of bolt ons yeilds mid 13's to high 12's

Now, look at our competition and tell me who has the bang for the buck. Two great pony cars, that perform well when you really look at what they are.

Last edited by rygenstormlocke; 10/12/08 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do performance mods on a V6?