V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Why do performance mods on a V6?

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/08, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with modding a V6 Mustang as long as the owner looks at the costs and doesn't end up paying more in the long run for a car that isn't any faster than a GT. That might be a mistake. I've thought of building up an S197 or '99-'04 V6 for a track car to run HPDE's and driving schools with. A used S197 V6 can be bought for around $10-12k now, and new they are only $16-18k. Who am I kidding though, I'd probably still end up with a V8, insurance isn't an issue for me like it was 20 years ago, and the cost difference between a used V6 and a used V8 isn't that great, and you get a lot more suspension and engine wise with a V8. A V6 convertible with manual trans would make a nice cruiser for our family of four though.
Old 10/4/08, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
It looks like the leading causes of V6 purchases come down either to money, i.e. insurance or initial purchase costs, or the challenge of modding a V6. I've noticed the same phenomenon with the import crowd. I've seen some four banger Honda's that have $10k pumped into the engine and suspension that just brings them up to the speed of a stock Mustang. I had the same question there as it would seem more cost efficient to just buy a better car to begin with. A common response from them is the challenge of taking a car that is normally slow and maxing out the capability. I guess I still have a hard time with that as for me the overall goal should is to have the option of driving very fast. The better the platform to start with, the better the final results will be. In other words, if you take a four banger Honda and dump exorbinant amounts of money into it just to do 140 mph and match a V8 Mustang in 1/4 mile times, why not buy a V8 Mustang and do the same thing ending up with a much higher top end and much shorter 1/4 mile times?

I do see the attractiveness of the challenge, but I still like the idea of having one of the faster cars on the road instead of just pumping up a smaller car to just keep up with the V8 crowd. I can see how it could be fun to max out a V6 that could beat a stock V8 but with a few minor mods on a V8, most V6's would be hard pressed to keep up unless significant amounts of money were put into the V6. I also have to chuckle when a Honda with a giant wing, chrome fart can exhaust, loud paint job, hundreds of stickers, and full neon lights revs their engine at me at stop lights. The results of the ensueing launch usually leave the Honda in the rear view mirror. You have to give them credit for trying I suppose. Occasionally though some of the imports can hold their own depending on the make and model.
Was your questioning the V6 build up a true inquisitive, or a slam on V6, smaller car, cant keep up, Like a Honda, fart can type of comparison? It seems to me that you still dont get it.

Its about each person doing what they like. Weather its a Gt with pony badges or a V6 wanting to be like you so much, they put on GT badges. Your question was about why?, not about
" a v6 pumping $$ into thier car so they could keep up with YOU. Its about building what they like. I feared answering you post, and have now seen, the "Import" comparison. The V6 is worth more than a Chuckle. Remember i own both a GT and V6, and dont undersatnd the GT superior questions. Just my opinon though.
Old 10/4/08, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, since my name was used in the initial post I guess I'll respond.
There were a few reasons why I bought a V6 over the V8 and a lot of reasons why I modded it.
First, my old car had died and I NEEDED a vehicle.
Second, I was originally looking at Chevy Monte Carlos but the Ford dealer was right next door so I walked over and saw my Windveil Blue V6 and fell in love. It was cheaper than the Monte SS and had more power & options.
Third, there were no GT's to be had at the time, December 2004. One dealer had one Screaming Yellow GT in the showroom but he actually told me I couldn't have it because he couldn't get another GT from Ford to replace it!
So, looking at my bank account and the fact I had to have a car I got the V6.
I loved it as it was for quite a while but I'm the type of person that can't leave well enough alone, so...
The modding began.
Like some others have said, there was a lot I did to my V6 that I would have done to a V8 so as far as money goes it would have been spent either way.
Now, don't get me wrong, I like to go as fast as the next guy but realistically where was I going to run my car over 120 mph except a drag strip? I don't want to sound like a killjoy but the raods are pretty crammed nowadays and the speed limit is still 55-65 mph. I don't need jail or a wreck.
I've put a lot into my car and it will and has beat a stock GT with an exhaust & a tune but I don't go around bragging about it like I think I'm all that. I am happy with the performance I have now.
Yeah, I'd love to have a 600+ HP car but I wouldn't be able to unleash it anywhere.
I've modded every vehicle I've owned regardless of its starting point/power. I just like to tinker with things so that's part of my motivation.
Also, even though I have the GT front bumper, Agent 47 grill & dual exhaust I in no way am trying to make people think I have a V8. I don't plat that game. I have a 4.0 badge on the back trunk so every one knows it's a 6.
Old 10/4/08, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005mach1, I think you miss my point. I did say that it seems that for some the challenge is taking a car that is inherently slower and maxing out its capability is something that is shared by the import folks but I didn't say it was bad, I just don't get it. There is no right or wrong here, I just don't understand the thinking now that I've reached a certain stage in my life. If you read my first post, you would see that I underwent a similar situation as some younger people in that I could not afford a faster car from the start and kind of had to go with what I could get. Now that I can afford most anything I want, it is harder to understand the line of thinking of starting cheap, then spending a bunch of money to get more performance when something out of the box will be better. As I look back on all the cars I modded, including a 66 VW bug, a 78 Datsun 280Z and others, I now realize that I would have been better off saving all the money I put into those cars and just buying a faster car to begin with. I mention the 280Z especially because I bought my Z for $4,500 and then dropped over $10k into it. When I was done, it was about the same speed as the 5.0 Mustang selling at the time. This is now my view, but I wanted to see if perhaps there are other situations out there for purchasing a slower car to begin with that I am not aware of.

You say "doing what they like." That was my point of asking. I was curious if V6 owners are intentionally purchasing a V6 from the outset even when they have a choice or are not hampered by financial restrictions, or whether V6 owner's are modding their cars because that is the basis they are stuck with for the time being. It isn't a slam, it is truly a question. Being disingenuous is not my style. If I wanted to ridicule a V6 owner, I could do that from the outset, not play games.

There is certainly nothing wrong with going with what you can afford. I am not putting that down as I have been there, done that for many years. I just wanted to see if there might be other reasons for purchasing a V6 other than initial price. As stated by some other posts, when I see a V6 with a ton of mods, I just wondered why?

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 10/4/08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10/4/08, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Just for the record, I was not offended by anything in this thread.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and most times there are others that have a different opinion.
We all need to be able to agree to disagree.
We all love Mustangs and cars in general and we need to remember that.
Old 10/4/08, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

garyb900, I can see your point. I guess I can equate it to why I bought a Ford Mustang instead of a top of the line Corvette, or other more expensive faster car. I looked at my use of the vehicle and decided that because I commute daily, I did not want to rack up major miles on an exotic car. I also did not want to have horrible gas mileage and the Mustang can get decent mileage if one's foot can be controlled. Although I like to drive fast, I balanced the need for speed with practicality. It sounds like you did the same thing with your V6. It provides you what you want, at a cost that you agree with, and you are not trying to be something you are not. I can get that.
Old 10/4/08, 03:27 PM
GT Member

I shoulda bought a GT. but it's fun to mod. don't think too hard about it.
Old 10/4/08, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by King Taco
I shoulda bought a GT. but it's fun to mod. don't think too hard about it.
It's even more fun when your other half does not fight you tooth and nail.....
Old 10/5/08, 03:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
This argument is SO three years ago dude...................give it up and drive your big bad V8!!!

BTW............sticker on my V6 was $19,700 & they did not have any GT's on the lot when I brought mine!
So you shouldn't have bought it, V6's are made for girls. Are you a female?
Old 10/5/08, 04:58 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by touring
So you shouldn't have bought it, V6's are made for girls. Are you a female?
So... does your wife drive your 4cyl?
Old 10/5/08, 08:01 AM

garyb900, I can see your point. I guess I can equate it to why I bought a Ford Mustang instead of a top of the line Corvette, or other more expensive faster car. I looked at my use of the vehicle and decided that because I commute daily, I did not want to rack up major miles on an exotic car. I also did not want to have horrible gas mileage and the Mustang can get decent mileage if one's foot can be controlled. Although I like to drive fast, I balanced the need for speed with practicality. It sounds like you did the same thing with your V6. It provides you what you want, at a cost that you agree with, and you are not trying to be something you are not. I can get that.
I think that is the main point right there. This is why I bought a 6. I mod my car because I want to. I know that I will never beat a GT, but I also don't race the car either. My main reason was affordability and I wanted to drive a MUSTANG. The V6 is really the life blood of the Mustang. The GT is the bread and butter.

The people that badge their cars something other than what they are...GT's to Cobras, V6's to GT's, I don't understand.

This conversation can easily get volitile, somehow, you all have managed to keep it nice. I'm impressed.
Old 10/5/08, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
So... does your wife drive your 4cyl?
Yes and i do too. I hope your not trying to compare a notch to a V6 S197.

Last edited by touring; 10/5/08 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10/5/08, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Right, the S197 V6 is much more powerful, faster and better in every respect. And your arguements are asinine and make no sense.
Old 10/5/08, 08:57 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wasn't comparing, but if v8's are for men, and according to you, a v6 for a woman... then I'm just wondering what you think about guys who drive 4cyls? Sounds to me like you've either got some insecurity issues, or just made an ignorant comment.
Old 10/5/08, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

i have modded the hell outta my v6 and could careless what anyone thinks or have to say about modding v6's.. MY money to do with as i please. LOL

Performance is 99.9% done and i have 80% of the exterior ordered and at the shop. My attempt at a SS clone.

im happy with it and reason of purchase was at the time dealer mark up was crazyyyyyyyy i could afford it just couldnt see paying that outrageous MV smack talk
Old 10/5/08, 10:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I wasn't comparing, but if v8's are for men, and according to you, a v6 for a woman... then I'm just wondering what you think about guys who drive 4cyls? Sounds to me like you've either got some insecurity issues, or just made an ignorant comment.
By his logic maybe they are for little kids?
Old 10/5/08, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Insurance costs are one thing I did not think of. Especially for the younger crowd.
It might be a lot cheaper for a younger person, but I went online to see how much a difference it would be if I had an 06 V6 instead of a 06 V8 and the difference was about $9 per month.
Old 10/5/08, 06:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
This argument is SO three years ago dude...................give it up and drive your big bad V8!!!

BTW............sticker on my V6 was $19,700 & they did not have any GT's on the lot when I brought mine!
See I knew what this thread would turn into....................
Old 10/5/08, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Insurance payments for someone with a clean driving record is legalized extortion to begin with. I can't imagine how high insurance would be on a V8 anything with a young driver or driver with a few tickets and/or accidents. Other areas in the U.S. may be cheaper but here there is an outrageous difference. If I was 16-20 again there would be no way in hell I would pay thousands of dollars a year in insurance plus a monthly payment on a performance car and I woudn't be asking the parents for the cash either. Dad would laugh and tell me "Nice joke Son.....now get a job!" If you want to save money and buy a V6 S197 and do some mods and be money ahead in the long run go for it. It would be better than driving a **** Scion or Cobalt.

Last edited by 2006stang; 10/5/08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10/5/08, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

I'm just teasing the female,i mean V6 owners and for the record ill take and notch over a V6 s197 any day. i laugh every time i think of it.

Quick Reply: Why do performance mods on a V6?