V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Why do performance mods on a V6?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/08, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do performance mods on a V6?

Ok, the point of this question is not to make the V6 owners mad or to insult, just to satisfy my curiosity. I was reading the thread Graypny posted asking how much money folks had put into their car after the original purchase price. garyb900 was one of the posters and I noticed that he put $7,000 over his original purchase price into mods that seem mostly to be performance oriented on his V6. This got me to thinking, if a stripped V6 runs about $21,000 and a stripped GT runs about $27,000, that is a $7,000 difference right there. The V6 factory specs are 210 HP and the V8 is rated at about 310 HP, 100 more for the money. The GT has several external and internal upgraded features for the money as well.

I guess my question for the V6 buyers is, what prompted the purchase of a V6 for just $7,000 less if you were ultimately going to make performance as well as internal and external mods that would probably exceed the price difference in short order? Is it the attraction of the lower purchase price? Is it the ability to get one's foot in the door with the lower price and then spend later earned money on mods? I remember being 16 and buying my first car which was a 1966 VW bug. I then spent lots of money over the next few years making it a hot bug. However, given the opportunity to start with a better platform, I would most certainly have done so. Many friends had Mustangs, Cudas, Camaros, etc. I started with what I could afford, and then used earned money to improve the original purchase.

Or, is it the gas mileage? Is it the looks? Is it impatience with waiting until one has enough money to buy better? This would resonate with me because I would love a GT500, but don't want to wait until I have enough saved to lessen the sting of the purchase. It seems that if possible, the money spent on later mods though would be better spent on picking up the V8 to start with. Money could then be spent on more mods later to increase the HP even more. Again, not saying purchasing a V6 is a bad thing, I just want to know why some choose to do so, and then spend more money to bring the HP and performance up to the V8. Maybe garyb900 and other V6 owners can shed some light on this.
Old 10/3/08, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Ok, the point of this question is not to make the V6 owners mad or to insult, just to satisfy my curiosity. I was reading the thread Graypny posted asking how much money folks had put into their car after the original purchase price. garyb900 was one of the posters and I noticed that he put $7,000 over his original purchase price into mods that seem mostly to be performance oriented on his V6. This got me to thinking, if a stripped V6 runs about $21,000 and a stripped GT runs about $27,000, that is a $7,000 difference right there. The V6 factory specs are 210 HP and the V8 is rated at about 310 HP, 100 more for the money. The GT has several external and internal upgraded features for the money as well.

I guess my question for the V6 buyers is, what prompted the purchase of a V6 for just $7,000 less if you were ultimately going to make performance as well as internal and external mods that would probably exceed the price difference in short order? Is it the attraction of the lower purchase price? Is it the ability to get one's foot in the door with the lower price and then spend later earned money on mods? I remember being 16 and buying my first car which was a 1966 VW bug. I then spent lots of money over the next few years making it a hot bug. However, given the opportunity to start with a better platform, I would most certainly have done so. Many friends had Mustangs, Cudas, Camaros, etc. I started with what I could afford, and then used earned money to improve the original purchase.

Or, is it the gas mileage? Is it the looks? Is it impatience with waiting until one has enough money to buy better? This would resonate with me because I would love a GT500, but don't want to wait until I have enough saved to lessen the sting of the purchase. It seems that if possible, the money spent on later mods though would be better spent on picking up the V8 to start with. Money could then be spent on more mods later to increase the HP even more. Again, not saying purchasing a V6 is a bad thing, I just want to know why some choose to do so, and then spend more money to bring the HP and performance up to the V8. Maybe garyb900 and other V6 owners can shed some light on this.
Before owning a GT I was previously a V6 owner. At the time, I was 17 years old and I was making the payments on the car, the insurance and the gas all on my own. When it came down to it, all 3 of those payments were less expensive on a V6 in relation to a GT. With that additional money on hand at the end of every month and a few extra hours spent at work I was able to afford some niceties every now and then; new wheels & tires, an upgraded exhaust system and so forth. Over a period of 3 years, the small modifications added up and I had a nice looking V6 on the road, the payments were still relatively inexpensive, gas was affordable and my insurance rates were still nice and low.
Old 10/3/08, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Insurance costs are one thing I did not think of. Especially for the younger crowd.
Old 10/3/08, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Throughout the years, roughly 70% of all Mustangs sold are the V6 models. The GT owners are in the minority.

That said, not many V6 owners will spend $1000s on mods, for the reasons you state. But, like the previous reply said, maybe the most common reason to own a V6 is that the insurance is far less, particularly for owners under 25 and single.

I ended up getting my '95 Mustang GT for $12K from a dealer's lot when it was less than 3 years old, had 22K miles, and had a book value of $17K. The car was nearly mint condition, and had never been in an accident. Why did I get it for $5K below book value? Because it had been sitting on that lot for four months unsold. The salesman told me that a bunch of young guys had come in to consider buying it, but when they found out how much the insurance would be, they had to back out. I've had a clean driving record for years and am a long way from 25 years old, so I drove out of there with a bargain car I enjoyed for 7 years before getting the S197.
Old 10/3/08, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

with the money i've spent im wondering why i did'nt get the GT500..... point is, even GT owners should be in doubt after spending so much cash when the GT500 is available.

Last edited by wallace; 10/3/08 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10/3/08, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

As the owner of a V6 Legend lime mustang, i bought the car in 3/05 when you couldnt get a GT without paying the 5k dealer markup making that stang cost 32k, now the V6 4.0 cost me 18,750
I believe thats 13k diffrence. I bought the car from my wife, but always wanted to have Mach1 from 1969, so i had it built with the original. Not cheap, and yes it runs 1 second slower in the 1/4 than the stock GT.
Here is the V6 breaking the driveshaft at 130 mph.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_3932.flv
After 2 years i bought the GT and again had it dressed out with the Saleen PJ series parts and wheels.The shaker hood and wheels alone cost 3K, exhast, body kit, and paint was another 3k.
I spent 6k modding on a GT, but it wouldnt be OK to do this with a V6? Why not?
These car have both taken awards and trophies at local and main shows. They are daily drivers and are taken car of.
Bottom line, we spend the money because we want to do something that hadent been done.
Watch out when a lonley 6 rolls up you figure its a six, It may blow you away! maybe not, but i know a 4.0 6 going 11.02 in the 1/4!
http://www.pacana-mustang.com/At_the_Track.php
I hope this sheds some light on your question, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Why do performance mods on a V6?-lindas-mach1.jpg   Why do performance mods on a V6?-sig-photo.jpg  
Old 10/3/08, 09:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing that doesn't really bug me, but rahter I question in my head is when I see v6's around here with full body kits, aftermarket exhausts...etc.. A few days ago I had this guy in what I thought was a GT fly by me when I was sitting in the turn lane ( yellow v6, fully done up...bodykit, exhaust..etc. When he flew by me giving me a little rev all I could hear was his import sounding exhaust... As soon as I heard that I just shook my head even if he somehow could blow my doors off there is no relpacing the sound of a v8... I think v6's are cool, but only to an extent...

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/3/08 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10/4/08, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

challenge! 210 hp was more than or equal to the V8s of yesteryear, wanted to see what could be done, project with my kid to get him into cars, he will eventually get the car, my final results to date have been:

many trophys from various car shows
300+ rwhp with weak tune (need an updated tune and dyno trip since correcting problems)
April 2007 Race Pages magazine article
september/October 2006 appearance on NMRA Power TV on the internet
April 2008 Mustang Enthusiast magazine article (2 guys and a Mustang)
November 2008 5.0 Mustang magazine article (One Sick Six)

has ran a best 13.2@105 at the track in the 1/4 mile

all of that with a 2005 V6, so far my 2008 GT and my 1984 1/2 20th Anniversary are just GT's with V8's, still trying to figure out what to do with them, watching the excitement of my son is worth any amount of money I have spent, one thing I have learned along the way is we all have reasons for whichever model we pick and the only limits we have are ourselves. I consider myself very fortunate for all of the good things I have been involved in with the car.
Old 10/4/08, 01:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Question Id like to ask it why not?

I bought a gt for all the right reasons, however looking at the cash I want to spend on it for the next couple of years, I would have been more than able to buy a gt500 fully loaded and put a tune/pully and intake on it for an easy 600hp and that would be with a 5-10k markup in 07. The only thing the gt500 lacks in comparison to the gt is weight, the gt500 weighs quite a bit more, but when is all said and done, I think my gt will creep up in weight as well.

I originally considered a v6 but because of the sound of the v8, I went gaga and bought a gt. Ah well. We all have our reasons, again the question remains....Why not?

As for insurance cost? I was 23 when I bought my gt, in comparison the v6 was 200bux cheaper per year, not a huge margin. I pay about 2200bux a year and soon will pay considerably less.
Old 10/4/08, 01:40 AM

Got a 1 year old V6 for less than $16k out the door. Added another $4k for an X-Charger @10psi boost.

The rest of the mods.... springs, struts, control arms, camber plates, sway bars, driveshaft, gears, I would have upgraded even if I bought a GT. So overall, the V6 route was cheaper for me even before considering insurance.
Old 10/4/08, 01:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
The only thing that doesn't really bug me, but rahter I question in my head is when I see v6's around here with full body kits, aftermarket exhausts...etc.. A few days ago I had this guy in what I thought was a GT fly by me when I was sitting in the turn lane ( yellow v6, fully done up...bodykit, exhaust..etc. When he flew by me giving me a little rev all I could hear was his import sounding exhaust... As soon as I heard that I just shook my head even if he somehow could blow my doors off there is no relpacing the sound of a v8... I think v6's are cool, but only to an extent...
I entirely agree. I was out Thursday night when I came across two Mustangs parked side by side, both with appearance modifications. I took a closer look and noticed the lack of valance cutouts for the dual exhaust setup which was a V6 giveaway; had it not been for that and a few other details such as the lower front fascia they would have had me fooled. I was mildly impressed until I saw that both had GT badges on the sides. Both drivers walked back to their cars and fired them up as I was walking away, all I could do was shake my head in dismay.
Old 10/4/08, 06:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Insurance costs are one thing I did not think of. Especially for the younger crowd.
I think insurance is a big factor for the younger crowd. It was when I was a kid.
I know my insurance was about 20% of my income 30+ years ago, for a crappy car.
Now the GT costs me less than $400 a year.
I think I spend more than that for lunch each month.
Old 10/4/08, 07:02 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Challenge, fun, hobby, joy of doing it yourself, pride of doing it yourself, etc.

There's countless times I've done things to cars or my house that ended up costing me the same as if they were profssionally done or I bought something with the 'mod' already done, but I'd rather have the satisfaction and of doing it myself, and enjoy the time spent doing it.

For the money I spent on my car, I probably could've bought one w/ an 'upfitted' package from Roush, etc.
Old 10/4/08, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

For the money I spent on my car, I probably could've bought one w/ an 'upfitted' package from Roush, etc.
exactly..... kinda make me sick to kno i really should have the GT500 or another
special-edition mustang.
Old 10/4/08, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wallace
exactly..... kinda make me sick to kno i really should have the GT500 or another
special-edition mustang.
For what I've seen GT500's going for ($45-$55k) I could put a blower on mine and still be $14-$24k ahead of the game.
Old 10/4/08, 08:40 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by 2005mach1
As the owner of a V6 Legend lime mustang, i bought the car in 3/05 when you couldnt get a GT without paying the 5k dealer markup making that stang cost 32k, now the V6 4.0 cost me 18,750
I believe thats 13k diffrence. I bought the car from my wife, but always wanted to have Mach1 from 1969, so i had it built with the original. Not cheap, and yes it runs 1 second slower in the 1/4 than the stock GT.
Here is the V6 breaking the driveshaft at 130 mph.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_3932.flv
After 2 years i bought the GT and again had it dressed out with the Saleen PJ series parts and wheels.The shaker hood and wheels alone cost 3K, exhast, body kit, and paint was another 3k.
I spent 6k modding on a GT, but it wouldnt be OK to do this with a V6? Why not?
These car have both taken awards and trophies at local and main shows. They are daily drivers and are taken car of.
Bottom line, we spend the money because we want to do something that hadent been done.
Watch out when a lonley 6 rolls up you figure its a six, It may blow you away! maybe not, but i know a 4.0 6 going 11.02 in the 1/4!
http://www.pacana-mustang.com/At_the_Track.php
I hope this sheds some light on your question, Thanks
That
LL
GT
is
GORGEOUS!

Old 10/4/08, 10:32 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another funny thing I thought about is I have the v6 badges on my GT
Old 10/4/08, 11:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This argument is SO three years ago dude...................give it up and drive your big bad V8!!!

BTW............sticker on my V6 was $19,700 & they did not have any GT's on the lot when I brought mine!

Last edited by slowjoe24; 10/4/08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10/4/08, 11:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've owned a V6 Mustang that I modded extensively. Why?

My first car was a '75 Mach 1. I bought it in 1982 when I was 16. It was all I could afford (price, fuel, insurance, etc.). I still wanted to go fast, just couldn't afford a faster car up front for the above reasons. Finding mods for a V6 Mustang 26 years ago was tough, to say the least! But, eventually found oddball companies that catered to 4 & 6 cylinder cars and improved the 1/4 mile ET's by over 4 seconds from stock.

There was something magical about beating guys with V8's, then popping the hood for them to see a tiny 2.8L V6 staring back at them!

However, I have never bought a V6 Mustang since. After owning a variety of V8 musclecars over the years I just can't warm up to anything that doesn't have the torque and sweet sound of an even-fire V8.
Old 10/4/08, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks like the leading causes of V6 purchases come down either to money, i.e. insurance or initial purchase costs, or the challenge of modding a V6. I've noticed the same phenomenon with the import crowd. I've seen some four banger Honda's that have $10k pumped into the engine and suspension that just brings them up to the speed of a stock Mustang. I had the same question there as it would seem more cost efficient to just buy a better car to begin with. A common response from them is the challenge of taking a car that is normally slow and maxing out the capability. I guess I still have a hard time with that as the overall goal for me is to have the option of driving as fast as safely possible. The better the platform to start with, the better the final results will be. In other words, if you take a four banger Honda and dump exorbinant amounts of money into it just to do 140 mph and match a V8 Mustang in 1/4 mile times, why not buy a V8 Mustang and do the same thing ending up with a much higher top end and much shorter 1/4 mile times?

I do see the attractiveness of the challenge, but I still like the idea of having one of the faster cars on the road instead of just pumping up a smaller car to just keep up with the V8 crowd. I can see how it could be fun to max out a V6 that could beat a stock V8 but with a few minor mods on a V8, most V6's would be hard pressed to keep up unless significant amounts of money were put into the V6. I also have to chuckle when a Honda with a giant wing, chrome fart can exhaust, loud paint job, hundreds of stickers, and full neon lights revs their engine at me at stop lights. The results of the ensueing launch usually leave the Honda in the rear view mirror. You have to give them credit for trying I suppose. Occasionally though some of the imports can hold their own depending on the make and model.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 10/4/08 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do performance mods on a V6?