V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Vortech SC install cost

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/06, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the vortech SC is around $4500. How much would one need to add for professional installation? Is it imperative to use a shop with a dyno. Would any good mechanic shop be acceptable?
Old 2/15/06, 06:10 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There doesn't need to be a dyno at the shop, but it will need to be tuned shortly after installation.

SVP Unlimited said they'd charge about $1400 to install the Vortech supercharger and intercooler on a GT. I'm sure the labor is about the same on the V6.
Old 2/15/06, 06:23 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheMustangSource @ February 15, 2006, 7:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There doesn't need to be a dyno at the shop, but it will need to be tuned shortly after installation.

SVP Unlimited said they'd charge about $1400 to install the Vortech supercharger and intercooler on a GT. I'm sure the labor is about the same on the V6.
[/b][/quote]

$1400? wow thats a lot lol. Thats almost 19 hours of labor at my shop.
Old 2/15/06, 07:15 PM

That's $1200 labor and $200 parts.
Old 2/15/06, 07:18 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheMustangSource @ February 15, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's $1200 labor and $200 parts.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, thats gettin better [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] But they also build them up, so they are naturally going to have a higher labor rate, then a regular shop
Old 2/15/06, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't you install it yourself? And doesn't it come with a tune? The Pipeline Turbo is looking better all the time.
Old 2/15/06, 08:10 PM

Installing it yourself is not recommended.
Old 2/15/06, 10:17 PM
GT Member

When i had it done on my 00GT it was 400 plus 150 for bits and pieces. (Vortech Aftercooled KIT) 1200 is pretty high, if u have worked on cars before installing it yourself wont be that hard, just take your time.
Old 2/16/06, 03:41 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheMustangSource @ February 15, 2006, 10:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Installing it yourself is not recommended.
[/b][/quote]

Not recommended by who? ...Vortech?

I know with Mike's turbo and the ProCharger kits, they say you can install them at home.

I would say if you've worked on cars in the past, and have a knack for mechanics, why not?? I'll be installing my Stage II ProCharger when it comes in, and hopefully my TT tomorrow if the snow stops!

It's all about how comfortable you feel doing it. If you're no good with a wrench, or don't have the right tools, then by all means, get some good estimates from various shops.

Also, have you considered the ProCharger? What made you decide on the Vortech?
Old 2/16/06, 04:17 AM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 16, 2006, 2:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not recommended by who? ...Vortech?

I know with Mike's turbo and the ProCharger kits, they say you can install them at home.

I would say if you've worked on cars in the past, and have a knack for mechanics, why not?? I'll be installing my Stage II ProCharger when it comes in, and hopefully my TT tomorrow if the snow stops!

It's all about how comfortable you feel doing it. If you're no good with a wrench, or don't have the right tools, then by all means, get some good estimates from various shops.

[/b][/quote]

Be prepared to back this up some day buddy! I sure hope that Procharger makes good use of those 42Lbs injectors!
Old 2/16/06, 05:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 16, 2006, 5:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
My biggest concern is screwing up the tap needed to get at the oil.

I am leaning towards Vortech because of the customer service problems I have read about with the ProCharger folks.
Old 2/16/06, 07:22 AM
GT Member

I look at it this way - I can, and have in the past, done a complete rip out and reroof on an old house I owned ... but in my new house I hired a professional . Why? Because if I get a leak or loose some shingles in a heavy storm - I am calling the pro who put it in to come back and repair it - because it is his work and they warranty it. Same goes for something like a S/C.

I don't want my car stalling out, or whatever , because I overlooked something and now my car is on side of the road or something worse. I like peace of mind... Besides look at it from a financial standpoint. Everyone has it differenlty... See if your time is worth more than just paying someone to do it - and do it right and stand behind their work.

I chose to go with Vortech and the main reason was customer service. Too many horror stories with some other companies - not just on this board - but from pro shops all around as well. Some s/c companies aren't even sold by the largest distributors because they are unable to deal with that company's customer service themselves and do not have the time to have to be stuck in the middle of so many disputes. Luckily, there are getting to be more and more choices for add on power.. In the end it is up to the person making the decision and spending their own $ to decide what is best for them.

Back to the question at hand...I would recommend having it done by a pro... That's what I am doing - then again like I said " it is up to the person making the decision and spending their own $ to decide what is best for them " My pro shop let me choose any s/c I wanted and is installing it for me - But they laid down the truth about each and every one of them and what to expect from each company and their experiences with them in the past...

Good Luck either way and make sure to take lots of pic's [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

RPM in garner NC charged just under $800 for the Procharger kit. That includes essentially unlimited dyno time until the tune is right. Not a bad deal at all. So even $1200 seems steep unless that includes a dyno tune.
Old 2/16/06, 08:39 AM
GT Member

I agree on the price being a bit steep... For that price it should include Dyno's before and after... The highest I was quoted on install was $1,000 w/out a dyno --- obviously they didn't get it. Depending on where you are anywhere from 600-1000 seems the norm (600 no dyno or very little / 1000 lots of dyno time and possibly a little fine tuning)
Old 2/16/06, 08:43 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Puerto Rico 4.6 @ February 15, 2006, 11:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When i had it done on my 00GT it was 400 plus 150 for bits and pieces. (Vortech Aftercooled KIT) 1200 is pretty high, if u have worked on cars before installing it yourself wont be that hard, just take your time.
[/b][/quote]

FIY: installing on a newer 05+ gt is alot more work than on a 2v 4.6L. I'm not sure about on a v6 though.
Old 2/16/06, 12:42 PM

Just got an estimate of 15 hrs @ $80/hr for install. That's $1200 plus they said a day of dyno and tuning would add $800.

Just started my search, but that is $2000 for install and dyno. Wow!
Old 2/16/06, 12:57 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaulC @ February 16, 2006, 1:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just got an estimate of 15 hrs @ $80/hr for install. That's $1200 plus they said a day of dyno and tuning would add $800.

Just started my search, but that is $2000 for install and dyno. Wow!
[/b][/quote]

15 hours? man these must be something really hard about the vortech. Both the procharger and pipeline kit are "less then a day with ordinary handtools" nevermind if you had a shop do it.
Old 2/16/06, 01:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 16, 2006, 4:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
15 hours? man these must be something really hard about the vortech. Both the procharger and pipeline kit are "less then a day with ordinary handtools" nevermind if you had a shop do it.
[/b][/quote]

I really don't see what could be so hard about them. I'm not paying anyone $2000 for something I could do myself. If I get the Pipeline I'll be doing it myself. So far I've done every mod on my car myself except the rearend work. And I'm no mechanic.
Old 2/16/06, 01:39 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 16, 2006, 2:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I really don't see what could be so hard about them. I'm not paying anyone $2000 for something I could do myself. If I get the Pipeline I'll be doing it myself. So far I've done every mod on my car myself except the rearend work. And I'm no mechanic.
[/b][/quote]

same here, but i am a mechanic lol
Old 2/16/06, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Go to another shop ! Thats is an absurd amount! Obviously they are just puttting out wild numbers and hopefully someone will fall for it. IF you can't find a reputable shop - Go to Vortech's site and find a retialer, Then ask them if they install and how much. It should not take more than 12 hours - that is even with the aftercooler. Dyno time of $800 is nuts. They expect to have to dyno it for about 10 HOURS! It already comes with a tune. They can get you baselines and fine tuning if you want it - but never 10 hours, 2 hours max. Drive right by that place and don't look back.

I live in NYC area and mechanics want top $$ around here - if I showed any of them this they would even think it was absurd. Go somewhere else

Quick Reply: Vortech SC install cost