V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Stock exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/05, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. I've purchased a new V6 Mustang (Mineral Grey) with the exterior upgrade packatge.

It isn't here yet, but am hoping it will be here on Friday (fingers crossed).

Anyhow, I was wondering if there are any sound clips of the V6 stock exhaust? How does it sound?

I'm gathering that in order to get a deeper rumble, I'll need to swap out the exahust?

Anyhow, thanks!!
Old 1/4/05, 11:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

It sounds like a v6 with an exhaust thats highly restricting the airflow x.x It has a decent sound to it for a v6 but nothing close to a growl or even a grumble. Nothing close to the stock v8 exhuast sound either. I would get a recording for you, but all I have is a mic and my laptop. If you can live with that, let me know and ill go get it for you :P Just no blaming me for the quality!
Old 1/5/05, 06:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least it doesn't sound like a Pontiac Flatul-o-matic exhaust!!
Old 1/5/05, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Zodiac@January 5, 2005, 12:49 AM
It sounds like a v6 with an exhaust thats highly restricting the airflow x.x It has a decent sound to it for a v6 but nothing close to a growl or even a grumble. Nothing close to the stock v8 exhuast sound either. I would get a recording for you, but all I have is a mic and my laptop. If you can live with that, let me know and ill go get it for you :P Just no blaming me for the quality!
No problem on the recording. Your description gives me a pretty good idea.

I think that I have decided that I'll likely go with a 3rd party exhaust system. Something that'll give me a bit more growl.

Any recommendations? I've been reading the forum and it seems as if some people have had good success and others with the sound of a high pitched whine. :S
Old 1/5/05, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the way the Magnaflows sound on the GT, but Im also really interested in seeing how the v6 sounds with glasspacks. Flowmaster is supposed to be developing a new ehaust for the v6 as well, and Id wager it comes really close to the grumble Im looking for. Personally, I want something thats a nice growl up until around 4-4500 RPMs. I think its too early in the game to know which is gonna be better than the other, and so far Ive only heard of Magnaflow developing an exhaust for the v6. Only time's gonna tell. Patience stinks.
Old 1/5/05, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Zodiac@January 5, 2005, 6:36 PM
I like the way the Magnaflows sound on the GT, but Im also really interested in seeing how the v6 sounds with glasspacks. Flowmaster is supposed to be developing a new ehaust for the v6 as well, and Id wager it comes really close to the grumble Im looking for. Personally, I want something thats a nice growl up until around 4-4500 RPMs. I think its too early in the game to know which is gonna be better than the other, and so far Ive only heard of Magnaflow developing an exhaust for the v6. Only time's gonna tell. Patience stinks.
LOL.. You're telling me. It's been hard enough waiting for the car. I figure I can wait a while longer for a good sounding exhaust.
Old 1/6/05, 02:28 PM

Okay folks...stupid question here: I'm not a gear head by any means and have never before been excited about any car until the 05 Mustang appeared. I ordered my V6 and while back and should have it within about 4-6 weeks (theoretically). What is a glasspack muffler and how would its installation affect sound and performance on a manual tranny V6?
Old 1/18/05, 09:54 AM
GT Member

The glasspack is just like a exhaust piece that is larger and has two pipes and in between those it is packed with glass. The glasspack creates a resonance and deeper sound to a stock muffler, as time goes by the glass in the pipe begins to break out resulting in a volume increase. And the muffler can filter out some of the high tones and give your car that deep roar like you have a v8. this also gives you better performance. Hope the picture works for you
Old 1/18/05, 09:56 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are V6 exhaust sounds on the Mustang media site.
Old 7/10/05, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Before exhaust mods i want to know what you think about the "music" of the v6? I only could drive a GT here in Switzerland and i was impressed by the music of the v8!! nice sound but i don't have the money for a GT. Here in Switzerland it's not possible to drive the 4.0 L at the moment because Stangs are not imported by Ford only by few US car fan dealers...
Old 7/10/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought the stock exhaust sounded great... but, there's always room for improvement... Since Ford restricted the flow, it's very easy to open up the exhaust for both sound and performance improvements.