V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 to GT front brake upgrade question.

Old 6/4/06, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 to GT front brake upgrade question.

I have 2 questions reguarding doing a V6 to GT front brake upgrade on my Mustang.

1.) Are the GT callipers a direct replacement from the V6? Do I need anything besides the callipers, and brake lines?

2.) Is there a place around that I can get just the 05 GT callipers, because I am planning on getting aftermarket rotors.

Thanks, Scott.
Old 6/4/06, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotts05custom
I have 2 questions reguarding doing a V6 to GT front brake upgrade on my Mustang.

1.) Are the GT callipers a direct replacement from the V6? Do I need anything besides the callipers, and brake lines?

2.) Is there a place around that I can get just the 05 GT callipers, because I am planning on getting aftermarket rotors.

Thanks, Scott.
Afixer did this, I would PM him.
Old 6/4/06, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

The calipers are the exact same, just different anchors so they can accomodate the larger rotors.
Old 6/4/06, 08:37 PM
GT Member

as the man said. i would go with th gt mounts from the dealer and drilled and slotted rotors from rotor pros. you will also need the gt pads
Old 6/5/06, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done the conversion too. I don't think the pads are different either, just the mounting brackets.

Though if you have the brakes apart anyway, you might as well throw in some high perfomance pads too.
Old 6/6/06, 09:33 AM

Saleen had the GT takeoff brakes(whole package, everything you need including pads) for like $100 for the set. Not sure if they still have them the same price or not.
Old 6/6/06, 10:01 AM
GT Member

I have these in stock

I have a brand-new takeoff Saleen GT takeoff set in stock. What Saleen ships is:

Rotors (These rotors are so new the mill marks are still on them)
Calipers and anchors. Saleen INCLUDES the factory brake line that attaches to the calipers
Dust Covers.

I purchased these from Saleen recently but decided to hold off because I'm in the middle of doing other suspension mods. I live in Atlanta, GA and likely my cost to ship to you may be a lot less than what Saleen charges to ship from California. These are fairly heavy parts. I'll PM you. I'm willing to part with just the Calipers / Anchors w/ the factory brake lines and I can hang onto the Rotors and Dust Covers if you'd like. I'm very active on ebay w/ same username esorense and have a solid online sales reputation. I'm also a member of squartrade (squaretrade.com).
Old 6/8/06, 11:18 PM
GT Member

yea so i confermed today pads calipers and dust covers are the same. you just need the rotors and the offset bracket. they had a line change it seams in august of last year . so you have to get the right bracket based on old or new build date. they are 32 bucks list each.
Old 6/11/06, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by afixer
yea so i confermed today pads calipers and dust covers are the same. you just need the rotors and the offset bracket. they had a line change it seams in august of last year . so you have to get the right bracket based on old or new build date. they are 32 bucks list each.
Thanks for the sanity check, afixer. I spent some time staring-and-comparing my V6 calipers against the GT takeoff calipers and you do appear to be correct. The calipers appear to be pretty darn identical if not the same part#. The brackets/anchors are of course different. I was not aware of this until this weekend myself. I purchased this set making the 'assumption' (albiet now proved false)' that the calipers themselves were different on the GT's versus V6's. My car was built in May 2005 so I missed that line change by 3 months. As such, newer cars won't benefit from buying the complete Saleen takeoff set as you have pointed out.
Old 6/15/06, 12:30 PM

OK...guys.....I hope I don't come off as totally clueless here. What benefit do you get from doing a swap to the GT brakes. If the calipers and pads are the same and the only thing that is different is the anchor and the rotor, how will this improve performance? Technically if you are not installing larger pads with more surface area, and you're not installing calipers that apply any more pressure, how do they perform better?

I'm not looking at my car right now, but is there extra room in the caliper that can accomidate a larger rotor? If so that totally makes sense....just thinking out loud here... lol
Old 6/15/06, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

For me..

I also got Hawk brake pads, and drilles/slotted rotors..

Don't have them installed yet though.
Old 6/18/06, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone upgraded their brakes yet? I just put on a set of upgraded GT take-off wheels/tires, and already noticed a bit of brake lagginess....

For those who have, how much did you end up spending and how much of a difference did they make?