V6 Glasspacks soundclip

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/06, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy over at mustangforums has them, here is his post:

StupidTodd
3rd Gear Member
Status: online I have them [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Dual Glasspacks about mid car, and 21"x3" chrome tips sticking out the back.

I had somewhat of a high pitched chirp for the first 150-300 or so miles, but once the glasspacks broke in, they sound amazing.

I don't run a crossover of any kind.

Here's an old sound clip I made. http://www.hedkrash.com/Recording1.wav

The tone has gotten a little deeper since then, but not a whole lot.

The best part about this, and I still have to smile when I think about it, is I paid $240 to have the duals run (labor and parts). Every time I hear someone complain about the flowmaster drone, I just kinda have to laugh at how much they paid for their exhaust, and they don't really like it.
Old 2/14/06, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the Borla single axleback w/ Steeda CAI&XCAL2 92 octane tune and the JBA titanium shorty headers. My car sounds great.

THIS soundclip you've posted sounds [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] awsome! IMHO it sounds a step above my Borla setup.

If I want to upgrade to duals, the glasspack setup you posted here in this thread seems like something to consider. I've done all the mods for the single setup. Could you detail on the parts used for the glasspack setup and some possible resellers for those parts? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 01:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 14, 2006, 3:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I run the Borla single axleback w/ Steeda CAI&XCAL2 92 octane tune and the JBA titanium shorty headers. My car sounds great.
THIS soundclip you've posted sounds [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] awsome! IMHO it sounds a step above my Borla setup.
If I want to upgrade to duals, the glasspack setup you posted here in this thread seems like something to consider. I've done all the mods for the single setup. Could you detail on the parts used for the glasspack setup and some possible resellers for those parts? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I wish I could, but all I did was replicate a post on another board. But I can invite stupidtodd to come over here.
Old 2/14/06, 02:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 14, 2006, 3:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wish I could, but all I did was replicate a post on another board. But I can invite stupidtodd to come over here.
[/b][/quote]

Greetings, it is I StupidTodd, here by popular demand (well, at lease rygen wanted me here)

Parts list? Ummm... well I went to the muffler shop I'm friends with, had them put it up on the lift, and talked over my options.

I had them custom bend 2 1/2 inch duals starting about a foot back from the cats. Mid car, there are the glasspacks. I'm really not sure what brand they are, it's whatever they had in stock. A glasspack is pretty much a glasspack, it's pretty much just a straight pipe with fiberglass baffling to reduce the high pitched crackeling you can get. (try taking the stock muffler off and running it straight pipe, it sounds HORRID)

I think the tips are made by SilverLine. They had just gotten a few sets in, and they looked AWESOME on my car, so I had to get them.

I think what really helps the low tone of the exhaust, is the distance from the glasspacks to the actual exhaust and the huge tips that work together to resonate the sound.

I'm also not a fan of crossovers in 6 cylinders. (the purposes in the 8's make a lot more sense with the even firing cylinders, but that's another story)

I go back and listen to that sound clip all the time. That was when they were still kinda new. There's still some crackling. I really should take another clip (and maybe some pictures too).

Hope this helps, and if I record anything else/take pictures, I'll be sure to post
Old 2/14/06, 02:49 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StupidTodd @ February 14, 2006, 4:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Greetings, it is I StupidTodd, here by popular demand (well, at lease rygen wanted me here)

Parts list? Ummm... well I went to the muffler shop I'm friends with, had them put it up on the lift, and talked over my options.

I had them custom bend 2 1/2 inch duals starting about a foot back from the cats. Mid car, there are the glasspacks. I'm really not sure what brand they are, it's whatever they had in stock. A glasspack is pretty much a glasspack, it's pretty much just a straight pipe with fiberglass baffling to reduce the high pitched crackeling you can get. (try taking the stock muffler off and running it straight pipe, it sounds HORRID)

I think the tips are made by SilverLine. They had just gotten a few sets in, and they looked AWESOME on my car, so I had to get them.

I think what really helps the low tone of the exhaust, is the distance from the glasspacks to the actual exhaust and the huge tips that work together to resonate the sound.

I'm also not a fan of crossovers in 6 cylinders. (the purposes in the 8's make a lot more sense with the even firing cylinders, but that's another story)

I go back and listen to that sound clip all the time. That was when they were still kinda new. There's still some crackling. I really should take another clip (and maybe some pictures too).

Hope this helps, and if I record anything else/take pictures, I'll be sure to post
[/b][/quote]

Greetings! Welcome to our forums!

Thanks for accepting the invitation to come over...
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

So, going from the front engine compartment out the back of the car:

1. Exhaust Maniford (or Shorty Headers) -- These connect to --
2. Catalysts --- these then connect to ---
3. The factory Y-pipe that goes 2 into 1 -- and then ---
4. ???

So it sounds like you don't approve of crossover connections on V6's or, you somehow split off (reverse 1 into 2 Y pipe?) from the Factory 2 into 1 pipe to hook up the glasspacks

and finally

5. Mid pipes that go out the back with HUGE tips on them and NO mufflers @ all or mufflers PLUS tips?

Eric.
Old 2/14/06, 03:03 PM

Here are a few pics I just took...

[attachmentid=45193]

[attachmentid=45192]

[attachmentid=45194]

The cars a bit dirty (I hate the winter) but otherwise the pics are ok
Old 2/14/06, 03:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 14, 2006, 4:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Greetings! Welcome to our forums!

Thanks for accepting the invitation to come over...
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

So, going from the front engine compartment out the back of the car:

1. Exhaust Maniford (or Shorty Headers) -- These connect to --
2. Catalysts --- these then connect to ---
3. The factory Y-pipe that goes 2 into 1 -- and then ---
4. ???

So it sounds like you don't approve of crossover connections on V6's or, you somehow split off (reverse 1 into 2 Y pipe?) from the Factory 2 into 1 pipe to hook up the glasspacks

and finally
5. Mid pipes that go out the back with HUGE tips on them and NO mufflers @ all or mufflers PLUS tips?

Eric.
[/b][/quote]

Going from engine compartment back
1 exhaust manifold
2 catalitic converters
3 the pipes were cut about a foot after the cats but before the factory Y pipe. (the factory Y is gone)
4 then each pipe goes into it's own glasspack which is about mid car
5 then each pipe goes to one of the tips to help resonate the sound

Which means from each exhaust manifold back, there is a seperate 2 1/2 inch pipe that never interconnects.

My reasoning for not wanting the H/X has to do with the firing sequence. In a standard normal firing 8 cylinder, you get left to right bank firing, and each exhaust pulse actually helps to create a lower pressure in the nonfiring bank, which in turn helps to pull the next exhaust pulse, creating another low pressure area in the opposie exhuast bank, etc.

With our 6ers, we don't have the same normal firing order, and the crossover low pressure effect doesn't do what it does in normal fire 8 cylinders.

Sure it might help the sound, if you got a crappy exhaust setup... but seriously, why in the world would you spend $500 on some name brand (blowmaster) exhaust, and not like what it sounds like?

Go to a local muffler shop, tell them what you want, tell them the sound you want. I'd suggest trying to make friends with a shop or two, at least to the point where they'll let you in the garage, so you can show them what you want done. The great part about this is, that if in a few months you don't like the sound, you can go back and ask them to fix it. If they like you, they might even fix it for free.

Call the people who sold you blowmasters and tell them you don't like the sound and want them to make it better. See how far that gets you.

(I have quite a few friends who religiously go with flowmasters, and we end up in heated debates all the time on this issue. So if I seem a little negative towards a specific company, I appologize.)
Old 2/14/06, 03:32 PM

Very good thread, very informative. Thanks for comming over Todd. We are glad to have you here.
Old 2/14/06, 03:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 14, 2006, 5:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Very good thread, very informative. Thanks for comming over Todd. We are glad to have you here.
[/b][/quote]

Not a problem... and thanks for the warm welcoming...

One of these day's I'll have to post something about my bike on this forum. It's one of the stupid little things I spend my time working on.

cheap walmart 10 speed mountain bike
80cc engine
1 lb nitrous bottle

I rebuilt the engine, added racing piston rings, ported the intake and exhaust, built a CAI for it, bored the carb jets... top speed 32.6 mph last year... I'm hoping for 40 this year... they don't call me Stupid for nothin

planned mods to bike include a leaf blower 'supercharger', new gearing (maybe a CVT transmission if I can find one), I might move to a sturdier bike frame, propane injection so I can use a bigger shot of nitrous... and anything else I can think of.