V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Auto Vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/05, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no racer, hot rodder, or anything of that nature, basically i just want a car with some good power and good looks, aka V6 mustang. However, when i test drove the V6 manual, i could not get the thing to work with me! The only other manual i have driven is a V6 F-150 baseline work truck, and i can drive that just fine. But the mustang kept stalling on me. I dont have alot of experience driving manuals, and since i live in the city i dont care if i get the auto or manual, the basic reason i'm looking to get the manual is because it saves me an extra $1,000 and legend is that manuals are always faster than autos.

My question is, is it FACT that the manual mustang is quicker than the automatic? By fact, i mean does anyone have any dyno numbers or stats to confirm this, not just street racing stories? And also, is there any special way the manual needs to be driven vs a truck? I just cant get it to work, most embarrasing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 8/20/05, 07:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything else being equal, a manual (well driven) will generally be quicker for a couple reasons. One, the nature of the way an automatic works results in some loss of power due to the torque converter. Automatics also generally weigh more than an equivalent manual.

Of course with the automatic buffering your drive train in high torque applications (not really a concern with our V6s), you're less likely to break stuff, and you'll never miss a shift.

The auto in the Mustang has a few drawbacks out of the box, and REALLY improves with a competent tune added to the car.

For my own experience, I was originally looking for an auto when I was shopping for a V6 convertible, but I tried the stick when I found one that had 100% of the other options I wanted, and fell in love with it. I'm glad I got the manual, though my 'stang is more of a "toy" as I have a company car for daily use. If I was commuting and getting stuck in traffic every day, the auto might have been a bigger priority.
Old 8/20/05, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I drove a 4.9L I6 F150 before too, and It's very forgiving for taking off. Heck I think it'll chirp a bit when you let go of the clutch just right w/o gas.
The Mustang is a little different, and it'll take a few days to get used to feel of the car. You need a little more gas or it will lug on the takeoffs. It'll almost feel like hesitation.
Now a few things to consider is if you drive the manual correctly it'll save you money in gas in the long run as well, especially in the traffic where the car can be slipped out of gear safely, and you can coast to stops, etc.
You may feel like you won't like it at first, but you'll get used to how the car needs to be driven. My dad drove it and admitted he was to old for a stick, but after he got used to it he took it all back, so I would say that it may not give a great 1st impression to many people.
Another thing to add is that most trucks I've driven have this smooth shifer feel where it feels like it moves itself, but the Mustang has a bit stiffer shifter when new, it'll loosen and butter up within a few hundred miles.
Good luck on your choice, the auto is still very good. As pointed out already.
Old 8/21/05, 01:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Most dynos I've seen usually show a 10 HP advantage for manual trannies. The 04 manual had a 0-60 time of 6.9, the auto 7.8. No magazine has tested a manual tranny V6 yet. The 05 auto is a 5 speed so I think the manual will only be .4 or .5 sec faster to 60. This assumes you can get that power to the ground. With a GT you're only talking .2 sec at most. The V6 manual has a little more gearing than the manual GT. Some guy drag raced his wife's automatic and lost both times. Just shows these are general statements.
Old 8/21/05, 01:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that you will have an easier time with your clutch if you use this method:
1.) Let the clutch pedal out slowly to where the engine just starts to engage and then STOP MOVING THE CLUTCH PEDAL. Just hold it at the point of engagement.
2.) Wait for the engine speed to link-up with the vehicle speed while gently giving it a little gas.
3.) AFTER the engine speed and the vehicle speed are synchronized, then let the clutch pedal out the rest of the way.
The biggest mistake folks make with clutches is to let the clutch pedal out in one smooth non-stopping motion.
Old 8/21/05, 05:20 AM
Cobra Member

the auto on the v-6 is amazing very smooth shifting and it is the same tranny thats in the GT model. i actually had to "learn" how to drive an automatic, as it was my first automatic car, ever. i know it sounds weird but i had to figure out the timing of when to brake and slow down as i like to down shift etc.
the manual is just as good, though not the same as in the GT model and please correct me if i am wrong it is a brand new tranny that some have ran into slight problems with. my manual seem a little loud and almost whiny.
its all about personal preferance and what you enjoy. i did not regret the automatic, i just missed going through the gears etc...
and after 6months of driving the automatic it was an adjustment to go back to the stick.
Old 8/21/05, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

I wasn't really excited about getting an automatic but to keep out of the dog house I really needed to get it with an auto... all I can say now is I wouldn't hesitate recommending an auto. Of course to really get the most out of it and the car you need to invest in a SCT X-Cal (or x-cal2). This will elminate the torque limiters, gets rid of the hesitation and improves the shifts. I'm running a custom tune from Alternative Auto. I've got my shifts set to "Barbaric"... I'm chipping my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts... My unofficial 0-60 is about 6.6 sec.

BTW... I always get the "Oh, it's an automatic" when I'm at the car shows... so I made a little flyer... LOL!!
Old 8/21/05, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by scrming@August 21, 2005, 8:37 AM
BTW... I always get the "Oh, it's an automatic" when I'm at the car shows... so I made a little flyer... LOL!!
I like that! we still get the "I cant believe....." and "I didnt think they made Mustangs in automatics"(my sister in law said that-i almost went off on her )
Old 8/21/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@August 21, 2005, 8:40 AM
I like that! we still get the "I cant believe....." and "I didnt think they made Mustangs in automatics"(my sister in law said that-i almost went off on her )
yeah... it's right up there with "It's just a V6...." I crushed more than a couple of V8's this last weekend at Woodward... LOL!
Old 8/21/05, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just last night my friend said to me: "I can't believe you got a V6 automatic mustang, might as well have gotten a probe GT" We were drinking a bit and i felt it wasn't the tiem for an argument so I bit my lip....
Old 8/21/05, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the manual because I feel it has some advantages for the way I drive. If I were a busy person who talked on a cell phone or ate in my car, etc, the automatic is almost a must because you can't shift and do everything else. Also, the manual is probaly not best suited for driving in a lot of traffic. So, its really about what suites your needs. But I find I get better gas mileage, can shift when I want it to without having to spend about $400 on a tuner, and its just plain fun to drive! You definitely feel more in control of the vehicle.

I would have to say, go with the automatic for practicality or the manual for the driving experience
Old 8/21/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

or get both!!!!
(sorry i had to)
Old 8/21/05, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kevinv-6@August 21, 2005, 11:45 AM
or get both!!!!
(sorry i had to)
The perfect solution!