V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Acceleration Problem after BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/11, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Acceleration Problem after BBK CAI

Hey guys I had a question about my new (to me) 2006 v6 with the pony package. When I first bought it, it drove really loud which I just thought was the old dry rotted tires. After getting 4 new tires I eventually found out that wasn’t it and I had a bad wheel bearing. I replaced the entire assembly and it really made a world of difference.

About the same I installed a BBK cold air intake. After a few miles it the check engine light came on (yes I unhooked the negative battery terminal when I installed it). I got the codes pulled and they were "
Bank 1 system 2 lean" and "bank 2 system 2 lean". The main thing that concerns me is that during acceleration it makes a weird noise that kinda sounds like what I can best describe as a helicopter or a similar choppy noise. It only happens when I accelerate and I think I can hear it in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it's very noticeable in 4th gear alil under 2,000 rpms. I believe it has something to do with the new CAI but like I mentioned before, the wheel bearing was so loud it could have been happening before and I would have had no idea.

I have uploaded a clip of it to my dropbox, here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22134237/CarNoise.m4a

The clip I recorded is from my iphone, which pretty much demonstrates what I am talking about. From 5 second mark to the 15th, you can really hear the noise that it makes. After that I am just try show the difference between giving it gas and not, although it doesn't translate very well through the phone.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 4/5/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

When you installed your cai did you have the computer re tuned to recognize it? If not then that would explain your codes. As for the noise it almost sounds like your throttle body is fluttering. Im not sure wat that would be other than the computer trying to compensate for you cold air. Try putting the stock airbox back on and see if the poblem goes away. Im not going to guarantee that will fix it but if i had to put a guess in thats exactly where i would start. You also might want to check to see if the throttle is clean or not. Not hard to do.
Just run your finger in there and you will be able to tell.
Old 4/5/11, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gtpony325
When you installed your cai did you have the computer re tuned to recognize it? If not then that would explain your codes. As for the noise it almost sounds like your throttle body is fluttering. Im not sure wat that would be other than the computer trying to compensate for you cold air. Try putting the stock airbox back on and see if the poblem goes away. Im not going to guarantee that will fix it but if i had to put a guess in thats exactly where i would start. You also might want to check to see if the throttle is clean or not. Not hard to do.
Just run your finger in there and you will be able to tell.
+1 to everything Chris said. The CAI is adding more air, so it of course will have the computer thinking it's running lean.

If after you return the stock air box the codes go away, then get yourself a tune specific to the V6 and the BBK CAI before you put it back on.
Old 4/5/11, 06:33 PM

Quick Update:

Got home and put the stock air back on. I haven't cleared the codes yet, I'll try to do that tomorrow or thursday, but the noise still remains. I don't think it is as noticeable as when the BBK CAI was on, but I believe I still hear it. It also sounds like its the loudest in 3rd gear (previously it was 4th).

Geo

Last edited by GeoPro; 4/5/11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 4/5/11, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

That is wierd. Do u have anything loose? If the splash shield is loose underneath your car i suppose that could make a flapping sound that would get louder as you drove. Other than that i am totally out of ideas. My mom has a v6 also and she had an issue with her crank pulley skewing on the shaft. She said it was making a noise but i never drove it to find out what it sounded like. You could check that.
Old 4/6/11, 08:19 PM

I checked and didn't see or feel anything that seemed loose, plus i think if it was something that was loose it would happen all the time regardless of whether or not I was accelerating.

I put back on the BBK CAI and I am pretty sure the noise is louder this way. When i was switching it back I took some pictures of the throttle body and I now think that might be the problem. Does it look dirty to you guys?