V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Uneven muffler tips...Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uneven muffler tips...Please help!

Maybe this thread should be in the v6 performance section but i thought it would get more looks here. Well i had my dual exhaust installed 2 days ago, and so far it has been nothing but a pain in the ***. First off, i bought a pypes x pipe and mid pipe kit and borla stinger mufflers. It sounds awesome! However I have been back to the exhuast shop 3 times now to fix rattles, and now that most of the rattles seem to be gone, I still have a problem. My driver side muffler hangs down about an inch lower than my passenger side muffler and it is really bothering me. I dont want to take it back to the exhaust shop cause frankly, they suck, and Id rather not have them touch my car ever again. So any ideas on whats causing the driver side muffler to hang down so low, any suggestions on how to even them out? Sorry for the long rant, and thanks to anyone who can help me out here.
Old 8/2/07, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
how is the drivers side muffler mounted?? Did they weld a hanger on it some where?
Old 8/2/07, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nope, no welding on the hanger. It looks to be mounted the same as the passenger side, but for some reason it is hanging lower.
Old 8/2/07, 05:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on how the muffler is mounted, you may need the hanger cut down a bit.
Old 8/2/07, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with 347, bet the hanger is same length.
Old 8/2/07, 07:25 PM
GT Member

You should be able to bend the mounts that are on the mufflers themselves. They actually give you alot of adjustment. I was obsessed with getting mine lines up even after mine was installed.
Old 8/2/07, 09:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Borla Stingers have VERY long mounting rods going into the rear hangers. if one of those wasn't welded perfectly, or got a bit bent in shipping, it can easily throw the tip placement off.

If you don't trust that shop, just try another one. They most likely aren't going to charge much for such a slight adjustment.
Old 8/3/07, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
heres a wackie idea get a floor jack with maybe a board on it and jack your muffler up slowly while checking the mounting points, so you don't damage any thing.
May be it will work maybe it won't
Old 8/3/07, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Glenn
heres a wackie idea get a floor jack with maybe a board on it and jack your muffler up slowly while checking the mounting points, so you don't damage any thing.
May be it will work maybe it won't
It won't. The stingers have enough flexibility in the mounting rods that you'd push the tip into the rear bumper before you'd put any permanent bend in the rod.
Old 2/14/11, 06:05 PM

might you have a picture of your uneven mufflers? just outta curiosity i wanna know how it looked like.

Last edited by barndaley; 2/14/11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 3/20/11, 01:12 PM

Don't blame the installer for trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
The Pypes mid pipes are junk, they are not even close to being bent properly.
I had major issues with them untill I replaced them with Ford GT pipes. Besides the uneven tip exit they will bottom out on lowered cars., every small bump I went over caused the rear axel to bang on the mid pipe.
Pypes techies still say that they have a good product, look at the pictures and see for your self.
The Ford GT pipe is held along side the junk from Pypes.
Your best bet is to scrap your mid pipes and get the factory stuff.

Last edited by kechke; 3/20/11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 3/20/11, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kechke
Don't blame the installer for trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
The Pypes mid pipes are junk, they are not even close to being bent properly.
I had major issues with them untill I replaced them with Ford GT pipes. Besides the uneven tip exit they will bottom out on lowered cars., every small bump I went over caused the rear axel to bang on the mid pipe.
Pypes techies still say that they have a good product, look at the pictures and see for your self.
The Ford GT pipe is held along side the junk from Pypes.
Your best bet is to scrap your mid pipes and get the factory stuff.

+1 on the crap quality of Pypes midpipes. The first one I got from them wouldn't even meet the muffler at all it was so badly mis-bent (missed by about 5"), and I had to go all the way to the president of the company to get a replacement (because my shop had to cut and weld the screwed up one so I wouldn't be stuck 75mi from home for the weekend, Pypes attitude was that I had "modified" their useless piece o' junk, and therefore tough luck) The replacement had the issues cited by Kechke, hitting the axle constantly.

I'm running Ford midpipes now, and would not buy so much as a lock washer that has the Pypes name on it...
Old 3/21/11, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
+1 on the crap quality of Pypes midpipes. The first one I got from them wouldn't even meet the muffler at all it was so badly mis-bent (missed by about 5"), and I had to go all the way to the president of the company to get a replacement (because my shop had to cut and weld the screwed up one so I wouldn't be stuck 75mi from home for the weekend, Pypes attitude was that I had "modified" their useless piece o' junk, and therefore tough luck) The replacement had the issues cited by Kechke, hitting the axle constantly.

I'm running Ford midpipes now, and would not buy so much as a lock washer that has the Pypes name on it...
With that kind of customer service I do'nt understand why Pypes is still in business. In my case they would not let me speak to the company pres or owner but did offer to send two new mid pipes exactly the same as the first ones I got if I would pay the shipping and returning the old ones at my cost.. What a bunch of jerks!
After about six months of fighting with them they offerd me 80 bucks for my trouble, I basicly told them to shove it because I can get more pleasure educating people on line about the junk they sell.

Last edited by kechke; 3/21/11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 3/22/11, 05:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh, and the welds on their X-pipe started cracking with 6 months use and maybe 3K mi on it. Really poor quality.

They're likely still in business because their product is cheap to buy (as such stuff goes) and their marketing department, unlike their manufacturing dept, has some skills

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 3/22/11 at 05:27 AM.
Old 4/6/11, 04:41 AM
Cobra Member

I have the pypes mid-muffler and had the same issues on alignment.

Look at the right tip

I also had contact issues initially.

I ended up loosening the right side to clear the rear end but the tip was even lower.

I ended up heating the support bars and moving them a good 2" on the end of the exhaust. It's been fine ever since.
Old 5/15/11, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I guess we got lucky on our pypes kit from NTO. After the install it was actually the passenger side that was hitting the bumper. I shoved the mid/x pipes up as close to the body as possible which included loosening the down pipes at the manifolds. We live on a dirt road which is why I did that.

I took the car to the exhaust shop I've used before and he did a cut/rotate/weld which brought the passenger side down enough so both sides now sit even.

Now, with that said, I guess that means I did have the issue, but since I had set the other pipes to compensate for it (not on purpose) that made the factory pipe to be the one with the issue.

btw. the shop didn't charge me for the work as I dropped it off and it took them almost no time to do the work. They have done the custom exhaust on the 4x4 van and the explorer (wheeling rig) which may have contributed to the freebie. I just tossed the guy who did the work $20 and told him to go get a pizza and beer..

Anywho... You can see they now sit about the same and the mid pipes and X pipe are within 1/2 of the body.

dual exhaust on our 2006 v6 pony package mustang by maniak_az, on Flickr

One thing I have decided to do though is cut a section of the factory y pipe out (maybe 3" by 12") and weld it onto the pypes pipe as sort of a skid plate. as I can see they have already been hit and as it was already stated, the pypes pipes are thinner metal than stock.

~Mark