V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

(un)Official Power Adder Thread

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/06, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 27, 2006, 1:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Could you find out why they require the removal of the Stock harmonic balancer? I find that somewhat strange.. I dont think any other kit requires the change of the stock oem harmonic balancer.. That could mean problems in the future.. Please follow up on this issue... What are the conditions behind the removal and replacment? Sorry if this question appears to be an uninformed one..
[/b][/quote]

There is a small adaptor that gets bolted behind the balancer that has a receiver that extends through the balancer. The balancer is removed, then the adaptor is installed, then the balancer is bolted back in place. Then a new pulley is installed to the adaptor. That pulley drives a new belt for the supercharger. That's why it's not required on the other systems, the Vortech and Procharger provide a new serpentine belt that drives the supercharger in addition to all the stock components while the Powerdyne keeps the stock serpentine belt and provides a 2nd belt for the supercharger. I'm not sure that this is better or worse, just different [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I emailed Explorer Express to get on their mailing list about the X-Charger release. Here are some comments I got back from them:

=============
As, I'm sure, has been discussed to death, the intercooled centrifugals can make more boost. Again a major but, the positive displacement makes good power with excellent throttle response under street type conditions. If all you are going to do is drag race with your new Mustang, get a centrifugal. For street use the Eaton (X-CHARGER) is the way to go.

In addition, the X-CHARGER has a built in by-pass system. Whenever there is vacuum in the intake, that is, small throttle opening, cruise, decel, idle, the by-pass valve is open and there is no boost. With the by-pass valve open it only takes 3 HP to run the blower.

When you stand on it, or accelerate, the vacuum drops to zero and the by-pass valve closes. Since the supercharger is already spun up, the boost comes on instantly. This can be easily modulated with amount of throttle opening.

=============
Old 2/27/06, 02:50 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ February 27, 2006, 12:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There is a small adaptor that gets bolted behind the balancer that has a receiver that extends through the balancer. The balancer is removed, then the adaptor is installed, then the balancer is bolted back in place. Then a new pulley is installed to the adaptor. That pulley drives a new belt for the supercharger. That's why it's not required on the other systems, the Vortech and Procharger provide a new serpentine belt that drives the supercharger in addition to all the stock components while the Powerdyne keeps the stock serpentine belt and provides a 2nd belt for the supercharger. I'm not sure that this is better or worse, just different [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I emailed Explorer Express to get on their mailing list about the X-Charger release. Here are some comments I got back from them:

=============
As, I'm sure, has been discussed to death, the intercooled centrifugals can make more boost. Again a major but, the positive displacement makes good power with excellent throttle response under street type conditions. If all you are going to do is drag race with your new Mustang, get a centrifugal. For street use the Eaton (X-CHARGER) is the way to go.

In addition, the X-CHARGER has a built in by-pass system. Whenever there is vacuum in the intake, that is, small throttle opening, cruise, decel, idle, the by-pass valve is open and there is no boost. With the by-pass valve open it only takes 3 HP to run the blower.

When you stand on it, or accelerate, the vacuum drops to zero and the by-pass valve closes. Since the supercharger is already spun up, the boost comes on instantly. This can be easily modulated with amount of throttle opening.

=============
[/b][/quote]

I dont buy that Line Tres! You can go to any Ford Thunderbird SC forum and they would be insulted about that.. S/C's dragged raced alot with the M90's with the factory or aftermarket intercooler.. These guys sound like they just are not willing to make a complete kit.. I'm not bashing them, but he is basically down rating the kit, to answer your question.. Just go to a Thunderbird S/C forum for more precise answers..

Also, I dont see why a Vortech Aftercooler or any other intercooler would not work with it.. You could easily adapt one.. But again this begs the question of price.. Why is the kit so expensive if he is already admitting defeat.. Seems he is supposed to go out of his way to make the product more competitive if the prices are pretty close.. Again not bashing it, just my opinion.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 03:06 PM
MSP
Banned

Here you go! Looks like 12psi to me! So whats the problem?

http://www.swdns.com/showthread.php?t=43717

The Eaton supercharger with a stock pulley on it pushes 12psi max.

Sounds to me like you could get it to atleast 12psi with factory intercooler.. Factory for the 3.8L SC..

The last post!

My car will make a max of 11 lbs of boost with a 5% od. Pulley. It has very little exhaust restriction. Like the man said boost is a measure of restriction to some extent. Point is the volume of air that moves thru the engine is more important. Go with a 5% jackshaft pulley and you will gain about another 1 1/2 lbs of boost. Should be good for some real world horsepower.
Old 2/27/06, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 27, 2006, 5:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here you go! Looks like 12psi to me! So whats the problem?

http://www.swdns.com/showthread.php?t=43717

The Eaton supercharger with a stock pulley on it pushes 12psi max.

Sounds to me like you could get it to atleast 12psi with factory intercooler.. Factory for the 3.8L SC..
The last post!
My car will make a max of 11 lbs of boost with a 5% od. Pulley. It has very little exhaust restriction. Like the man said boost is a measure of restriction to some extent. Point is the volume of air that moves thru the engine is more important. Go with a 5% jackshaft pulley and you will gain about another 1 1/2 lbs of boost. Should be good for some real world horsepower.
[/b][/quote]

I think the biggest thing is that they want this SC to be safe for our engines. I think they have a long record of making safe power with the 4.0 and they want to keep that reputation. I think it's commendable.
Old 2/27/06, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 27, 2006, 4:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think the biggest thing is that they want this SC to be safe for our engines. I think they have a long record of making safe power with the 4.0 and they want to keep that reputation. I think it's commendable.
[/b][/quote]

Indeed. In fact I clipped off this line from the Explorer Express quote:

"We have seen cracked ring lands at 8 PSI on stock engines. A good reason to keep the boost to 6 lbs."

I didn't post it because I figured it would get some people all riled up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] There's no arguing that intercoolers do increase performance and expand the usable pressure limit. But this is my daily driver, 20k miles per year. I don't race it at all, I just want some extra pep. Low maintenance and simplicity is also right up my alley [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] I have seriously considered all of the power adder options and these are my conclusions:

- NOS: Impractical for my daily driving. I want the power there all the time.

- Procharger: I do not like that it needs an oil change every 6k miles, and that it is hard to get to the drain and hard to catch the old oil. I pay someone else to do my maintenance, I just don't have the time to do it anymore.

- Vortech: I dislike the fact that it uses motor oil for cooling. I really don't like that it taps into the block and pan to route the oil either. I don't like that they insist the motor oil must be changed every 3k miles, I do all highway driving, run synthetics and stretch the changes farther than that. I don't have the time to hang out at the oil change place every 6 weeks!

- Dashworks Powerdyne: I was really liking this one until I saw the instructions. They really look thrown together/ homemade. This may be a great system, but there is no info out there about it that I could find, and coupled with the lousy instructions I'm not going to chance it. I like that it's a sealed unit with a 75k maintenance interval though.

- X-Charger: This sounds like it may be the one for me. Low PSI for long engine life, sealed unit with no oil required, has a good track record with the Ranger and Explorer communities. It doesn't have the future expandibility (adding an intercooler), but I don't need that.

- Turbo: This is tempting too, but I don't like the added complexity of all the exhaust work.

Again, these are my own opinions based on my own needs. I know a lot of you guys spend time at the drag strip, obviously your needs would be quite different than mine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 04:02 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ February 27, 2006, 2:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

"We have seen cracked ring lands at 8 PSI on stock engines. A good reason to keep the boost to 6 lbs."

I didn't post it because I figured it would get some people all riled up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] not need'edThere's no arguing that intercoolers do increase performance and expand the usable pressure limit. But this is my daily driver, 20k miles per year. I don't race it at all, I just want some extra pep. Low maintenance and simplicity is also right up my alley [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] I have seriously considered all of the power adder options and these are my conclusions:

- Procharger: I do not like that it needs an oil change every 6k miles, and that it is hard to get to the drain and hard to catch the old oil. I pay someone else to do my maintenance, I just don't have the time to do it anymore.

- Vortech: I dislike the fact that it uses motor oil for cooling. I really don't like that it taps into the block and pan to route the oil either. I don't like that they insist the motor oil must be changed every 3k miles, I do all highway driving, run synthetics and stretch the changes farther than that. I don't have the time to hang out at the oil change place every 6 weeks!

- Dashworks Powerdyne: I was really liking this one until I saw the instructions. They really look thrown together/ homemade. This may be a great system, but there is no info out there about it that I could find, and coupled with the lousy instructions I'm not going to chance it. I like that it's a sealed unit with a 75k maintenance interval though.

- X-Charger: This sounds like it may be the one for me. Low PSI for long engine life, sealed unit with no oil required, has a good track record with the Ranger and Explorer communities. It doesn't have the future expandibility (adding an intercooler), but I don't need that.

- Turbo: This is tempting too, but I don't like the added complexity of all the exhaust work.

Again, these are my own opinions based on my own needs. I know a lot of you guys spend time at the drag strip, obviously your needs would be quite different than mine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

Cracked rings not in a 2005 Mustang V6 SOHC 4.0 configuration.. Maybe an older version where the valve train would fly apart and not release the exhuast gas from the piston chamber in enough time..

Well, I think its great too! I support your decision Tres seriously.. I look forward to the kits availability..

So you can present it to us! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ February 27, 2006, 5:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I didn't post it because I figured it would get some people all riled up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] There's no arguing that intercoolers do increase performance and expand the usable pressure limit. But this is my daily driver, 20k miles per year. I don't race it at all, I just want some extra pep. Low maintenance and simplicity is also right up my alley [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] I have seriously considered all of the power adder options and these are my conclusions:

[/b][/quote]

I like the X-Charger with a small shot of nitrous for the track! I'll wait to see the final hp numbers and price before I decide to go with that, the turbo or just stick to the nitrous. I'm so confused! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 27, 2006, 6:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I like the X-Charger with a small shot of nitrous for the track! I'll wait to see the final hp numbers and price before I decide to go with that, the turbo or just stick to the nitrous. I'm so confused! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

If you are confused now, check out my new thread. That will make you even more confused on your approach!
Old 2/27/06, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 27, 2006, 5:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Cracked rings not in a 2005 Mustang V6 SOHC 4.0 configuration.. Maybe an older version where the valve train would fly apart and not release the exhuast gas from the piston chamber in enough time..
[/b][/quote]

There's some interesting info here about the stock flat-topped pistons and relatively high (for stock) compression ratio being a poor combo for power adders:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf

There's a picture of a cracked piston in there too! I really admire you guys that are pushing the limits of these motors, but I want a bigger safety margin [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 27, 2006, 5:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I like the X-Charger with a small shot of nitrous for the track!
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I like the way you think [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 06:42 PM
V6 Member

Like Tres said, the powerdyne system adds another pulley to the harmonic balancer. This is used so the supercharger runs independant of the serpantine belt. If the supercharger belt were to snap on a conventional system, all the accesories would be lost too. Water pump, alternator, power steering ect... By having a seperate pulley and belt, if the supercharger belt snaps, the car is still drivable. I've only seen this in a custom roots application for high boost( 22 psi) but it saved him from getting towed many times, because after the supercharger belt snapped, he could still drive his car n/a. It may be a pain to install, but it has proven to be very effective.
Old 2/27/06, 06:53 PM
Cobra R Member

my 03 needs a seperate belt as well lol. The 03 lightnings do, im jealous
Old 2/27/06, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ February 27, 2006, 7:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There's some interesting info here about the stock flat-topped pistons and relatively high (for stock) compression ratio being a poor combo for power adders:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf

There's a picture of a cracked piston in there too! I really admire you guys that are pushing the limits of these motors, but I want a bigger safety margin [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I like the way you think [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Well... it's like this... I don't believe things are as bad as that article makes them out to be... a lot of the risks can be mitagated with a proper tune...
Old 2/28/06, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can't edit my posts in this thread anymore, including the original. Mods?
Old 3/8/06, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

I emailed Explorer Express and Powerhouse last week asking when their systems would be available. I had heard first of March on both. My emails have gone unanswered. Does no one want my money? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 11:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ March 8, 2006, 1:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I emailed Explorer Express and Powerhouse last week asking when their systems would be available. I had heard first of March on both. My emails have gone unanswered. Does no one want my money? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I'll take your money!!!!

Powerhouse just got back from FFW, so it may take them a few days to get settled. As for Explorer Express, I'm really curious as to whats up. It looks like they have a good product.
Old 3/8/06, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

LOL! I've got a "special" checkbook just for those requests [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

I sent another email to Powerhouse (different address) and already got a message back that Mike is out of town until next week. I mainly was asking when they thought the kit would be available and whether they could send me instructions to look over. The instructions speak volumes about what to expect, I was seriously considering the Dashworks SC until I saw the instructions [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

The Explorer Express guys may be out at an event as well, they responded very quickly to emails a few weeks ago. It sounded like they were close to production at that time. My latest email was asking them whether they thought it would be days, weeks or months before their kit is out.
Old 3/8/06, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tres Wright @ March 8, 2006, 2:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
LOL! I've got a "special" checkbook just for those requests [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

I sent another email to Powerhouse (different address) and already got a message back that Mike is out of town until next week. I mainly was asking when they thought the kit would be available and whether they could send me instructions to look over. The instructions speak volumes about what to expect, I was seriously considering the Dashworks SC until I saw the instructions [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

The Explorer Express guys may be out at an event as well, they responded very quickly to emails a few weeks ago. It sounded like they were close to production at that time. My latest email was asking them whether they thought it would be days, weeks or months before their kit is out.
[/b][/quote]

Last I heard the PH turbo will be available at the end of this month. They are still working on the instructions. I talked to them at FFW and they said the hardest part of the install was lifting the engine, which isn't really that hard. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Im strong, i can lift the engine... with my 2 ton cherry picker LOL [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 09:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 8, 2006, 11:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Im strong, i can lift the engine... with my 2 ton cherry picker LOL [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Or a floor jack.
Old 4/19/06, 03:50 PM

Looks like we lost data on this one from the crash. Hey Jimp/LX, the copy on the collective is up to date. Would you mind pulling the info from there and updating this one as well?

Quick Reply: (un)Official Power Adder Thread