V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

(un)Official Power Adder Thread

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine this being an issue on an intercooled system. ATI is usually pretty through when picking their pulleys. I just orded the 9 psi intercooled system and they said nothing about beefing up the engine. The company I purchased through offers an 11psi pulley, but they said not to run it unless you've built up your bottom end and run race gas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ January 4, 2006, 9:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jimp Dave from X-Charger recommeded risky to me unless you beef up the bottom end. He was saying also when I talked to him he has seen the top ring on the piston blow off or break on 4.0 at 9PSI because it sits to high to the top of the piston also mention weak pistons because of the metal they are made of and the high 9.71 compression if I remember correctly also he said run at you're onw risk. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

The above should apply to any Supercharger running 9psi.
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/5/06, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I can't imagine this being an issue on an intercooled system. ATI is usually pretty through when picking their pulleys. I just orded the 9 psi intercooled system and they said nothing about beefing up the engine. The company I purchased through offers an 11psi pulley, but they said not to run it unless you've built up your bottom end and run race gas.[/b][/quote]

Flap we are talking non intercooled chargers only and yes I talked to Dave from X Charger on the phone and he said run at your own risk at 9PSI. The supercharges from Dave you can run 6PSI or 9PSI but his MP Eaton chargers do not come with an intercooler or as an option. If you run 6psi you do not need an intercooler also the new X Charger is newer design . If you run the supercharger at 9psi non intercooled it is risky and I would not do it and thats what he was talking about.

Also on a side note Dave has been putting his superchargers on the 4.0 fors years and is the only one that has a lot of experience supercharging the 4.0's.
Old 2/5/06, 01:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 5, 2006, 4:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Flap we are talking non intercooled chargers only and yes I talked to Dave from X Charger on the phone and he said run at your own risk at 9PSI. The supercharges from Dave you can run 6PSI or 9PSI but his MP Eaton chargers do not come with an intercooler or as an option. If you run 6psi you do not need an intercooler also the new X Charger is newer design . If you run the supercharger at 9psi non intercooled it is risky and I would not do it and thats what he was talking about.
[/b][/quote]

I guess there is no way to incorporate an intercooler to an Eaton SC? Because the X-Charger looks really sweet. I'd love to run it at 9PSI.
Old 2/5/06, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 5, 2006, 2:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I guess there is no way to incorporate an intercooler to an Eaton SC? Because the X-Charger looks really sweet. I'd love to run it at 9PSI.
[/b][/quote]

Jimp I wouldn't be to sure about that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] just thinking and I proposed this question awhile ago to scrming in a way but do not know if he saw it.

Lidio if I remember correctly intergraded a intercooler to the Maurader with the Eaton charger, I would have to go back and research this again Lidos, Eaton model , etc. But I kinda asked scrming you think Lidio could intergrate one on the 4.0.
Old 2/5/06, 06:52 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 5, 2006, 4:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jimp I wouldn't be to sure about that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] just thinking and I proposed this question awhile ago to scrming in a way but do not know if he saw it.

Lidio if I remember correctly intergraded a intercooler to the Maurader with the Eaton charger, I would have to go back and research this again Lidos, Eaton model , etc. But I kinda asked scrming you think Lidio could intergrate one on the 4.0.
[/b][/quote]

Mental note to self... ask Lidio about intercooling on the Maurader and the Eaton... LOL
Old 2/5/06, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 5, 2006, 9:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mental note to self... ask Lidio about intercooling on the Maurader and the Eaton... LOL
[/b][/quote]

Yes please. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Scrming
Mental note to self... ask Lidio about intercooling on the Maurader and the Eaton... LOL[/b][/quote]

Thanks scrming (but also)

Scrming I just went back and researched he did design and install a intercooler air to water with the Eaton, now he has a diff S/C on that car, man this guy I can't believe him!!! He looks to be getting a lot of S/C experience lately.

Scrming in your mental note when you talk to him also tell him the X charger is the Eaton MP 90 which is the same as the Eaton M-90 and besides the air to water if he could do an air-to-air intercooler for an Eaton M 90.
I differently prefer an air to air (don't think I'd go W-A) a lot less baggage to have to contend with and IMO more efficient. If he could do an A-A intercooler and I went this way with the X charger tell him I'd give him the whole job (S/C install w/intercooler install, dyno testing and I would want a custom tune), as long as I could either help or watch the whole install process.

If this is poss. the X Charger running 9PSI intercooled talk about a nice setup for Show & Go WOW!! can’t get better than that.
Old 2/5/06, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 5, 2006, 10:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks scrming (but also)

Scrming I just went back and researched he did design and install a intercooler air to water with the Eaton, now he has a diff S/C on that car, man this guy I can't believe him!!! He looks to be getting a lot of S/C experience lately.

Scrming in your mental note when you talk to him also tell him the X charger is the Eaton MP 90 which is the same as the Eaton M-90 and besides the air to water if he could do an air-to-air intercooler for an Eaton M 90.
I differently prefer an air to air (don't think I'd go W-A) a lot less baggage to have to contend with and IMO more efficient. If he could do an A-A intercooler and I went this way with the X charger tell him I'd give him the whole job (S/C install w/intercooler install, dyno testing and I would want a custom tune), as long as I could either help or watch the whole install process.

If this is poss. the X Charger running 9PSI intercooled talk about a nice setup for Show & Go WOW!! can’t get better than that.
[/b][/quote]

Me too! I'll make the drive to Detroit. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Got an email from Explorer Express today:

"Hi,

Thanks for posting the picture.

The preliminary prices are:
CA spec kit $3495.
Hi-po kit, includes 30 lb injectors, larger MAF, conical air filter and SCT Xcal tune $4195.

Both will ship as complete kits with no extra parts required. The instructions are very detailed with many photos.

The parts are ordered. We should have most of the big parts in a few weeks.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Dave Vanek
Explorer Express"
Old 2/6/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 6, 2006, 4:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Got an email from Explorer Express today:

"Hi,

Thanks for posting the picture.

The preliminary prices are:
CA spec kit $3495.
Hi-po kit, includes 30 lb injectors, larger MAF, conical air filter and SCT Xcal tune $4195.

Both will ship as complete kits with no extra parts required. The instructions are very detailed with many photos.

The parts are ordered. We should have most of the big parts in a few weeks.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Dave Vanek
Explorer Express"
[/b][/quote]

$4,195.00 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

Jimp is this your way of a cruel joke? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

I am not paying $4,195.00 for a system at 6PSI and no intercooler, and no tuner.

No way later X Charger now for me it’s only between Mikes Turbo and the Procharger.

My decision now just became less complicated.

T
Old 2/6/06, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 6, 2006, 8:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
$4,195.00 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
Jimp is this your way of a cruel joke? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

I am not paying $4,195.00 for a system at 6PSI and no intercooler! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

No way later X Charger now for me it’s only between Mikes Turbo and the Procharger.
My decision now just became less complicated.
T
[/b][/quote]

Here's the reply I got when I asked about an optional intercooler:

"Hi,

We have considered an intercooler, but 4.0 is such a narrow V engine that there isn't much room in the valley.

Have you considered water injection. We like the Snow Performance MAF signal unit. When used with 50% methanol the results are pretty impressive. In a lot of areas the w/s washer fluid comes with methanol. Not here in CA. You could drink our w/s fluid and it wouldn't hurt you.

Thanks,
Dave "

I'm still thinking about getting it. I'll have to wait for the final numbers.
Old 2/6/06, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 6, 2006, 7:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here's the reply I got when I asked about an optional intercooler:

"Hi,

We have considered an intercooler, but 4.0 is such a narrow V engine that there isn't much room in the valley.

Have you considered water injection. We like the Snow Performance MAF signal unit. When used with 50% methanol the results are pretty impressive. In a lot of areas the w/s washer fluid comes with methanol. Not here in CA. You could drink our w/s fluid and it wouldn't hurt you.

Thanks,
Dave "

I'm still thinking about getting it. I'll have to wait for the final numbers.
[/b][/quote]

Those numbers would have to be pretty good for me to reconsider they have to be min 300HP RWHP at that price. I don't know how it will get there with only 6PSI, only 30LB injectors! and no intercooler. But I guess we will find out in about 3 weeks.

I have been reading on that methanol and if what I have read is true looks like you have to be very carefull because it can miss up the A/F ratio and pop goes your engine. Makes me think of someone I won't name.
Old 2/6/06, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 6, 2006, 9:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Those numbers would have to be pretty good for me to reconsider they have to be min 300HP RWHP at that price. I don't know how it will get there with only 6PSI, only 30LB injectors! and no intercooler. But I guess we will find out in about 3 weeks.

I have been reading on that methanol and if what I have read is true looks like you have to be very carefull because it can miss up the A/F ratio and pop goes your engine. Makes me think of someone I won't name.
[/b][/quote]

I guess now it's totally up in the air for me. The ProCharger is probably at the bottom of my list. I like the Vortech, and Mike's turbo is looking better and better. The main problems I have with the Vortech is the Diablo Predator tuner(I guess you'd have to get your own dyno tune with the SCT if you have an automatic?) and that it taps into the oil pan. I don't really see a downside to the turbo. I just wonder if my 3.73s will be a problem.

Here's the Snow Performance MAF unit:
http://www.snowperformance.net/prodd...p?prod=auto022
It's worth considering. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 6, 2006, 7:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I guess now it's totally up in the air for me. The ProCharger is probably at the bottom of my list. I like the Vortech, and Mike's turbo is looking better and better. The main problems I have with the Vortech is the Diablo Predator tuner(I guess you'd have to get your own dyno tune with the SCT if you have an automatic?) and that it taps into the oil pan. I don't really see a downside to the turbo. I just wonder if my 3.73s will be a problem.

Here's the Snow Performance MAF unit:
http://www.snowperformance.net/prodd...p?prod=auto022
It's worth considering. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I posted on this snow kit earlier in this thread,I would want Dave to dyno with that snow kit so we see how his S/C performs I don't want to do the R&D, I would also really have to research the running methanol but see this gets complicated and I really just want easy and simple RWHP. I don't want to have to worry if what I read is true about the A/F ratio.

I like Mikes turbo no doubt, at the same time call me crazy but I really like the whine of a S/C and if I can't have a V8 sound aleast the whine will help me with that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I really think its going to be between the Turbo and the PC for me now. I also think PC has another S/C head coming out for the 4.0. If you go to RPM Outlet you will see an option N/A but was never there before to upgrade from the P-SC1 Stage II to now never listed before D-SC1.

One more thing looks like PC improved on is the stage II because it used to ship with 39LB injectors and now according to Flapjack they went up to 42LB., it will also be interesting to see Flapjack dyno sheets with the Stage II P-SC1 9PSI now with 42LB injectors. If you remember the PC P-SC1 stage II with 39LB injectors put out 321 HP on a stock single exhuast so Flaps will give a little info with 42LB and dual exhuast, but not IMO the perfered single exhaust MRT Aero [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ??

So it will also be interesting to see a Stage 2 w/D-SC1 head & 42LB injectors.

I am still waiting for Mike@Powerhouse to e-mail me the dyno sheets and installation instructions.
Old 2/6/06, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Jimp
I just wonder if my 3.73s will be a problem.[/b][/quote]

Jimp if you were running 4.10's I would be more concerned but your running 3.73 vs Mikes 3.55's I think you will be alright in the begining see how it goes then decide in time. I also would talk to Mike just give him a call and seek his opinion now so your what to expect.
Old 2/8/06, 01:15 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJ06 @ February 6, 2006, 6:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I posted on this snow kit earlier in this thread,I would want Dave to dyno with that snow kit so we see how his S/C performs I don't want to do the R&D, I would also really have to research the running methanol but see this gets complicated and I really just want easy and simple RWHP. I don't want to have to worry if what I read is true about the A/F ratio.

I like Mikes turbo no doubt, at the same time call me crazy but I really like the whine of a S/C and if I can't have a V8 sound aleast the whine will help me with that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
I really think its going to be between the Turbo and the PC for me now. I also think PC has another S/C head coming out for the 4.0. If you go to RPM Outlet you will see an option N/A but was never there before to upgrade from the P-SC1 Stage II to now never listed before D-SC1.

One more thing looks like PC improved on is the stage II because it used to ship with 39LB injectors and now according to Flapjack they went up to 42LB., it will also be interesting to see Flapjack dyno sheets with the Stage II P-SC1 9PSI now with 42LB injectors. If you remember the PC P-SC1 stage II with 39LB injectors put out 321 HP on a stock single exhuast so Flaps will give a little info with 42LB and dual exhuast, but not IMO the perfered single exhaust MRT Aero [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ??

So it will also be interesting to see a Stage 2 w/D-SC1 head & 42LB injectors.
I am still waiting for Mike@Powerhouse to e-mail me the dyno sheets and installation instructions.
[/b][/quote]

The whine of the Supercharger is so magical TJ! You know when I go through the gears normally, the sound of my car is much like a musical composition.. The Supercharger when at a stoplight makes a subtle sound, which everyone around the car can hear, but cant understand.. But they are trying to figure it out.. Then I accelerate, and the S/C spools up with a whir, and as I lift off the gas you can hear the impeller being released with a whir spool down.. As 2nd gear is engaged, the sound is reproduced again like a symphony orchestra playing a select piece which has been mastered and refined over time.. As 3rd gear is awaken, the process repeats itself, and the deep grunt of the SOHC 4.0 with a Prochamber dominates the space surrounding your ears.. Only to yield its presence to the beautiful and enchanting whir of the S/C, and you feel the car softly push you back into the seat, as the rpms massage 3500rpm.. As 4th gear is engaged, the temptation to press harder on the gas is an overwhelming sensation of pure bliss, as you try to maintain a somewhat dignified position in your lane moving briskly through time and space... As 5th gear is engaged, you contemplate your journey to 65MPH, and pat yourself on the back for never bringing the boost gauge above 2 to 3 psi... You have successfully tamed the Superchargers call to action, and positioned yourself comfortably behind an 18 wheeler where the sound of the wind is less, and the constant whir and hiss of the S/C can be heard an appreciated..

It is truley heavanly TJ.. I could only wish to bless this wonderful feeling upon you someday! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The whine of the Supercharger is so magical TJ! You know when I go through the gears normally, the sound of my car is much like a musical composition.. The Supercharger when at a stoplight makes a subtle sound, which everyone around the car can hear, but cant understand.. But they are trying to figure it out.. Then I accelerate, and the S/C spools up with a whir, and as I lift off the gas you can hear the impeller being released with a whir spool down.. As 2nd gear is engaged, the sound is reproduced again like a symphony orchestra playing a select piece which has been mastered and refined over time.. As 3rd gear is awaken, the process repeats itself, and the deep grunt of the SOHC 4.0 with a Prochamber dominates the space surrounding your ears.. Only to yield its presence to the beautiful and enchanting whir of the S/C, and you feel the car softly push you back into the seat, as the rpms massage 3500rpm.. As 4th gear is engaged, the temptation to press harder on the gas is an overwhelming sensation of pure bliss, as you try to maintain a somewhat dignified position in your lane moving briskly through time and space... As 5th gear is engaged, you contemplate your journey to 65MPH, and pat yourself on the back for never bringing the boost gauge above 2 to 3 psi... You have successfully tamed the Superchargers call to action, and positioned yourself comfortably behind an 18 wheeler where the sound of the wind is less, and the constant whir and hiss of the S/C can be heard an appreciated..

It is truley heavanly TJ.. I could only wish to bless this wonderful feeling upon you someday! [/b][/quote]

MSP you completely blew me away with that masterful piece of writhing, I caught my self reading it about 6 times already grinning ear to ear. That is an awesome piece of writing which I have printed out for my enjoyment of reading again in the very near future. I also will be e-mailing and sharing it with a few of my friends giving you full credit.

I always have said to myself IMO without a doubt MSP would make a talented author he could possibly make the best seller’s top ten, the above is another small prime example.

That was truly excellent!!!

Thanks

TJ
Old 2/8/06, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

42 lb injectors won't be an improvement over 39lb. You either need the fuel or you don't, and the 39 lb injectors are more than sufficient for that kit.
Old 2/8/06, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

42 lb injectors won't be an improvement over 39lb. You either need the fuel or you don't, and the 39 lb injectors are more than sufficient for that kit.
Old 2/8/06, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Belial @ February 8, 2006, 9:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Bedial couple questions for ya, why do you say 39 lb are more than sufficient? why would Procharger go to 42 lb injectors if 39 lb are more than sufficent?

FYI remember this is not the same kit as yours (7psi) this is the 9 psi.

Quick Reply: (un)Official Power Adder Thread