V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

(un)Official Power Adder Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/05, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@December 8, 2005, 12:28 PM
Jimp, you gotta put this kit in.. This is the highest rated kit with 310RWHP without its intercooler.. The install and oil system is better, also it has the single belt pulley system for the S/C removing the stress from the rest of the engine..

http://dashworks.net/mustang.htm

This is the Powerdyne unit.. The SC350..
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_757937/tm.htm
Its also the cheapest!!

PowerDyne

http://stores.ebay.com/Dashworks-inc

With the intercooler, this one makes 390HP @ the crank!!

Also, the ebay posting says submit best offer.. I bet he would take $3k.. Shipping is only $79 bucks.. Buy your own SCT, and your all set..

Correction, SCT included in price.. This is the best overall deal..
Ok, I added this one. I put the claimed HP from the ebay page. I'm guessing the 350HP is for the stage 2. If you want to contact them and get clarification I will post an update.
Old 12/8/05, 07:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I updated the Vortech section. Just found out a complete system is coming soon. I'll add more info as soon as I get it.
Old 12/9/05, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 7, 2005, 10:39 PM
Great Jimp!
Ok I will start using using PM. I think I am posting to much I get carried away sometimes. I will slow down and just PM you only as I get good info and just use what you think is good.

Thanks again Jimp
No, no, you are fine! Post all you want. I was just saying it would be easier for me to find/add info if it came in a PM. But the info can be included in replies here as well.
Old 12/9/05, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, no, you are fine! Post all you want. I was just saying it would be easier for me to find/add info if it came in a PM. But the info can be included in replies here as well.

I was thinking of changing gears here and spend time to try to get some discussions going on the chargers instead of posting like I was doing and maybe cluttering up this thread vs. your post, . You have a nice format going in your post.

Unless you think I should just fill that post I was using with say just a mix of info, articles pictures, and screen shots of website jpegs with specs for quick view along with getting discussions going. If it gets to be to much or doesn’t work well I will just clean it out. Either way is fine with mejust let me know what you think if I should or shouldn’t just post or PM me.

Wow we have a lot of new good/info threads today.
Old 12/9/05, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 9, 2005, 7:15 PM
I was thinking of changing gears here and spend time to try to get some discussions going on the chargers instead of posting like I was doing and maybe cluttering up this thread vs. your post, . You have a nice format going in your post.

Unless you think I should just fill that post I was using with say just a mix of info, articles pictures, and screen shots of website jpegs with specs for quick view along with getting discussions going. If it gets to be to much or doesn’t work well I will just clean it out. Either way is fine with mejust let me know what you think if I should or shouldn’t just post or PM me.

Wow we have a lot of new good/info threads today.
Either way is fine with me! If you want to put a bunch of info and pics in your post that would be great. If you have anything for me to add to my post that would be great too.
Old 12/10/05, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I found this:

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html...ordsTurbonator

I'm all over it, this is the way to go. I wonder if the 9v battery is included.
Old 12/10/05, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Check this guy John (Airfoil) out around where I live 2005 S/C Mustang** 675hp , I am going to e-mail him might use the same shop when I get my S/C for my dyno and tune etc. This is a excellant read been following this guy for months.

But anyway check out what he said about doing to the spark plugs (other) when Supercharged wonder any of this could apply to our V6 S/C.

"First thing is you need to cut a hole which your airfilter is in the back needs to be in the front with fresh air. We duct fresh air to the filter. FC Customs worked for days trying to figure out why the car would drop off at 6,000rpm. I posted this before but that trick was old school'. Pull the plugs and cut the U shape in half so it looks like a normal spark plug then regap at 30. normal gap was 65 and the boost just blows it out. The car had flow test ran on everything. They built custom 2" stainless headers then to an X pipe."

" Also added a safety loop since Ford ran the gas tank right next to the drive shaft"

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_709829/mpag..._/tm.htm#709829

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_757007/mpag..._/tm.htm#757007

Belial? Maybe run this (plugs) by your shop.

Wow must be the V6 forum parental control above. **
Old 12/30/05, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 7, 2005, 6:06 PM

Vortech
"Tuner" system available now, complete system is coming soon.

Availablity: Now
Price: $2777.95-3981.95
Power increase: 8-10PSI
Pros:
Cons:
  • Taps into the oil pan for cooling.

Suggested upgrades:
The oil feed line tees into the oil pressure sending unit for oil supply, and the oil pan is used to return the oil. Secondly why is this listed as a con? It seems to me that the oil would run much cooler this way, (since there is more oil circulating through the unit,) compared to a self contained unit. Plus the oil is also being continually filtered.
Old 12/31/05, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

TK421
Secondly why is this listed as a con? It seems to me that the oil would run much cooler this way, (since there is more oil circulating through the unit,) compared to a self contained unit. Plus the oil is also being continually filtered.
The supercharger oil temperature for a self-contained charger is 70-85° F cooler than the engine oil (typically around 200°F). The oil temperture on per engine tap runs around 200F or a little over, on a self (oil) contained supercharger unit the oil runs around 125 F about 75 F cooler. I also IMO do not like tapping in for an oil line or take a chance of a clogged or leaking line possibility on the oil line tap system, just less things to worry about.
Old 12/31/05, 08:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 31, 2005, 10:31 AM
The supercharger oil temperature for a self-contained charger is 70-85° F cooler than the engine oil (typically around 200°F). The oil temperture on per engine tap runs around 200F or a little over, on a self (oil) contained supercharger unit the oil runs around 125 F about 75 F cooler. I also IMO do not like the chance of a clogged or leaking line possibility on the oil line tap system, one less thing to worry about.
Wow, you know a lot more about it than I do! LOL! I was just thinking of the possibility of getting metal shavings in the oil pan, not good!

Hey, if anyone has anything to add to my original post, please reply here. It is still an incomplete list.
Old 1/1/06, 11:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 31, 2005, 7:31 AM
The supercharger oil temperature for a self-contained charger is 70-85° F cooler than the engine oil (typically around 200°F). The oil temperture on per engine tap runs around 200F or a little over, on a self (oil) contained supercharger unit the oil runs around 125 F about 75 F cooler. I also IMO do not like tapping in for an oil line or take a chance of a clogged or leaking line possibility on the oil line tap system, just less things to worry about.

I did a little research, and it looks like while the temperature of the self-contained unit is lower at lower impeller speeds, Its temperature rises dramatically when gearbox speed increases, up to 300 degrees @ 40,000 rpm. On the flip side, the engine oil fed type (Vortech) is able to maintain it's temperature, even at high rpm.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf/pa...p1sc_report.pdf
Old 1/1/06, 11:58 PM
Bullitt Member

TK421
I did a little research, and it looks like while the temperature of the self-contained unit is lower at lower impeller speeds, Its temperature rises dramatically when gearbox speed increases, up to 300 degrees @ 40,000 rpm. On the flip side, the engine oil fed type (Vortech) is able to maintain it's temperature, even at high rpm

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...1sc_report.pdf.

Check out these links I am sure Procharger wouldn't want a law suit if the below link was not true.

http://www.procharger.com/consumer_alert.shtml

http://www.procharger.com/consumer_alert/m...ng_oil_temp.pdf

http://www.procharger.com/consumer_a...6_oil_temp.pdf

http://www.procharger.com/racing-news/05update-oct.html
Old 1/4/06, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Got some more information about the X-Charger from Dave at Explorer Express:

"The Mustang X-CHARGER parts are designed and the tooling ordered. We should have first article parts in 30 days.

Our Ranger X-CHARGER adds up to 78 RWHP, the Mustang kit will be higher. Naturally, we are trying to make more HP than a stock GT.

Attached is a photo of our CA spec kit. The "49 state" kit will have a larger, straighter inlet with a larger MAF and conical filter."

This is the system that I want. I will be happy with around 350 HP and plan on being around 250 before this install. We shall see...

Now I just have to find out if it works best with long tube or short tube headers... Might change my plan...

Edit: Sorry, the picture is too big and I am not "technologically advanced" enough to post it.
Old 1/4/06, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 4, 2006, 12:00 PM

"The Mustang X-CHARGER parts are designed and the tooling ordered. We should have first article parts in 30 days.

Our Ranger X-CHARGER adds up to 78 RWHP, the Mustang kit will be higher. Naturally, we are trying to make more HP than a stock GT.

Attached is a photo of our CA spec kit. The "49 state" kit will have a larger, straighter inlet with a larger MAF and conical filter."

This is the system that I want. I will be happy with around 350 HP and plan on being around 250 before this install. We shall see...

Now I just have to find out if it works best with long tube or short tube headers... Might change my plan...

Edit: Sorry, the picture is too big and I am not "technologically advanced" enough to post it.

Hey man, where ya been? Good information here, is this from a web site? If so I can link in the picture or tell you how to do it. Most of these major power adders are used with stangs that are of a stock configuration, that way they can advertise the gains minus any other components. So given that they are testing with stock shorty headers, I would imagine you would be fine with both, and ultimately better off with LT's.

Personally, I want to see what the turbo market looks like and make a decision later in the year. For now, the Zex will suit me just fine.
Old 1/4/06, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Great thanks for the info/update! Exception if it is not the same picture I posted below e-mail me the picture and I will post it. The picture below of the X-Charger I believe is just a mock up not the real MP 90

Exception I think you have to adjust your HP figures above you need to back out about 20HP from you're 250HP figure for the following reason. Once you remove the CAI & custom tune for the CAI you can't count that 20HP (gain) in you’re Hp rating.., You can't like add the HP increase for the custom tune and CAI and add another 90HP per X charger along with the tune as an example because you will basically will be removing that. So if the X-charger adds around 80 RWHP and say Doug’s tune adds another 10Hp to the MP 90 X Charger for a total of 90HP add the 90HP gross to your car HP but take away 20HP per CAI & previous tune gain

I am just using the 80HP & 10HP figures as an example to explain the above.

Rygn
So given that they are testing with stock shorty headers
Rygn are you saying Dave is going to Dyno the X-Charger with ST headers? if so how did you find? and a bigger question is why?
I would rather see a dyno without headers plus I would think a high percentage of people who go with the X-Charger are not going to be running headers.

Maybe to just to show a higher HP rating to look closer with the competition?

Old 1/4/06, 01:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 4, 2006, 2:19 PM
"Rygn
So given that they are testing with stock shorty headers
"

Rygn are you saying Dave is going to Dyno the X-Charger with ST headers? if so how did you find? and a bigger question is why?
I would rather see a dyno without headers plus I would think a high percentage of people who go with the X-Charger are not going to be running headers.

Maybe to just to show a higher HP rating to look closer with the competition?

He said stock headers. I'm guessing he means the headers the car came with, correct?

Oh, and I added the pic of the X-Charger to the original post.
Old 1/4/06, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 4, 2006, 2:19 PM
Exception I think you have to adjust your HP figures above you need to back out about 20HP from you're 250HP figure for the following reason.
Really good point about the HP gains. Didn't quite think THAT one through.... I will blame it on all of the "fuzzy math" I see from the government!

However, on further thought:

I will also have LT headers, a Prochamber, dual exhaust, and a UD Pulley (all things I do not currently have). And a REALLY good tune with 93 Octane might add a little bit. MAYBE good for an extra 20 HP or so there. Then I will work on plugs, wires, supercoils, plasma booster ignitions, flux capacitors, flying monkeys, Pokemon....

Plus, my louvers and stripes are good for about 10, right? Right?

Still, an extra 89 RWHP on the Ranger would be about 100 HP at the flywheel. And Dave said that they are going for more for the Mustang. Let's say an extra 100 RWHP or around 110-120HP. That would get me to around 320-330. I would find the rest somehwere, even if I have to poo it out!!!

I would be ecstatic with 350 HP which would be around 300 RWHP. I think I can get there.

For now, my goal now is 250 HP NA. Can I reach it? Who knows, but it is fun trying!!! That is only about 15-20 HP (10-12RWHP) from where I am now, so I think I can make it.
Old 1/4/06, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@January 4, 2006, 3:33 PM
He said stock headers. I'm guessing he means the headers the car came with, correct?

Oh, and I added the pic of the X-Charger to the original post.

Sorry everyone, yes I meant the stock headers.
Old 1/4/06, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 4, 2006, 4:18 PM
Really good point about the HP gains. Didn't quite think THAT one through.... I will blame it on all of the "fuzzy math" I see from the government!

However, on further thought:

I will also have LT headers, a Prochamber, dual exhaust, and a UD Pulley (all things I do not currently have). And a REALLY good tune with 93 Octane might add a little bit. MAYBE good for an extra 20 HP or so there. Then I will work on plugs, wires, supercoils, plasma booster ignitions, flux capacitors, flying monkeys, Pokemon....

Plus, my louvers and stripes are good for about 10, right? Right?
Still, an extra 89 RWHP on the Ranger would be about 100 HP at the flywheel. And Dave said that they are going for more for the Mustang. Let's say an extra 100 RWHP or around 110-120HP. That would get me to around 320-330. I would find the rest somehwere, even if I have to poo it out!!!

I would be ecstatic with 350 HP which would be around 300 RWHP. I think I can get there.

For now, my goal now is 250 HP NA. Can I reach it? Who knows, but it is fun trying!!! That is only about 15-20 HP (10-12RWHP) from where I am now, so I think I can make it.

Actually I think someone put up a post at Stangnet that louvers were good for 25 without a tune. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 1/4/06, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 4, 2006, 12:00 PM

Man... seems like I've been hearing 30 days since August! (i just looked... my e-mail from Dave is dated August 27th) LOL!

Quick Reply: (un)Official Power Adder Thread