V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

(un)Official Power Adder Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Official Power Adders Thread

Here's a partial list of power adders for the SN97 4.0 V6. I will update when new information is found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mods feel free to make this a sticky.
Nitrous
-----------------------------------------------
Zex
http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...s/2bottles.jpg
scrming's twins
This was made for the 2005 Mustang GT but works just fine for the V6. PowerHouse was the first(AFAIK) to use this on the V6 and ran as fast as 12.3 in the 1/4 with a 150 shot. Scrming and I then got Zex but scrming has been the real pioneer and has run as fast as 13.4 in the 1/4 with a 100 shot. More info about scrming's awesome steed here.
Availability: Now
Price: $540-600
Power increase: 75-175hp
Real world numbers: 286 RWHP/446 RWTQ@125 shot (scrming), 278.2 RWHP/362.1 RWTQ@100 shot (Rygen), 271RWHP/349RWTQ@100 shot (BlackLX4.0)
Pros:
  • Cheap speed, blower in a bottle. The basic kit is only $540.
  • No affect on day to day driving. Drives like a stocker when turned off so it doesn't affect gas mileage, etc.
  • Very safe for a nitrous kit.
Cons:
  • Not practical for the street. Requires separate tune for higher shots.
Recommended upgrades:
  • SCT-2 or Predator and tune.
  • Racer's kit
  • Upgraded injectors and fuel pump for 150+ shot.
  • Truetrac for 150+ shot.
  • Forged pistons for 150+ shot.
Nitrous Express
Availablity: Now.
Price: $560 for base kit, $1835.32 for complete kit including labor.
Power increase: 35-50-75-100-150HP
Pros:
Cons:
Suggested upgrades:
Turbo
-----------------------------------------------------------

PowerHouse single turbo

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ima...bo_BGsmall.jpg
http://www.american-speed.com/collec...4360.Mike1.jpg
Still in development. PowerHouse has run a best of 11.80 in the 1/4 at 12PSI on a stock 4.0! PowerHouse has pushed the 4.0 farther and faster than anyone previously thought possible. Kits available will be: 7PSI(non-intercooled), 9PSI(intercooled) with only a spring change to boost to 12PSI. Kit will come with everything needed including injectors, fuel pump and tune.
Availablity: March 01, 2006
Price: $3,995.00 non-intercooled, $4,795.00 intercooled
Power increase: from 285RWHP on pump gas to 450RWHP on race gas
Pros:
Cons:
Suggested upgrades:
Supercharger
--------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer Express X-Charger
http://i.pbase.com/o4/56/49156/1/530..._installed.jpg
^^^Prototype^^^
Availablity: Early 2006.
Price: $3500(CA kit)-4100(49 state hi-po kit)
Power increase: 6-9PSI
Real world numbers: 248RWHP/262RWTQ@6PSI(Afixer)
Pros:
  • Easy install.
  • Instant power always available.
  • Self cooling.
Cons:
  • Non-intercooled.
Suggested upgrades:
Dashworks Powerdyne
http://dashworks.net/mustang4.jpg
Price: $3299 basic unit, Stage 2 $???
Power increase:6PSI/8-10PSI. Claimed 350FWHP/310RWHP.
Pros:
  • Intercooled.
  • Separate blower belt.
  • Self cooled.
  • Bosch bypass valve.
  • Includes injectors and SCT tuner with tune.
Cons:
Suggested upgrades:

Procharger
http://www.procharger.com/FORD/image...stang_uhLG.jpg
Price: $3395.95 7PSI tuner kit, $3860.30 7PSI kit, $4136.80 9PSI kit.
New info! Flapjack sez: RPM Outlet Has the 9PSI, 3 core kit for $3809 shipped! This includes 42LB injectors, plugs, DiabloSport tuner and unlimited tune support!
Power increase: 7-11PSI, 45-70%
Real world numbers: 302.5RWHP/291RWTQ@7PSI(belial), 321RWHP/332RWTQ @9PSI(FlapJack)
Pros:
  • Self cooling.
  • Intercooled.
  • Sounds cool as heck. Makes the car go fast. Almost better than sex.(from belial)
Cons:
  • Procharger problems
  • 7 PSI kit requires higher flow injectors (not included)
  • 9 PSI kit requires higher flow fuel pump (not included)
  • Both kits do not ship with a tune.
Suggested upgrades:
Vortech
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/..._underhood.gif
Vortech H.O. System
http://www.rygen.net/stang/msp/MSP-SC-4.jpg
MSP's Vortech
"Tuner" and "H.O" systems available now
Availablity: Now
Price: $2777.95-4,562.95
Power increase: 8-10PSI, 319FWHP *12PSI pulley available, not recommended by Vortech with a stock motor
Real world numbers: 303RWHP/309RWTQ@10PSI(MSP)
Pros:
  • Standard 3 year warranty
  • Predator tuner included
  • Both systems now 50-state smog legal.
Cons:
  • Taps into the oil pan for cooling.
Suggested upgrades:
Old 12/7/05, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, obviously this is a work in progress. Reply here if you have additional information or corrections. I will edit/add to the first post when I get time or new information. I hope this is what you had in mind TJ06.
Old 12/7/05, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didnt explorer express say it was going to be 3599 for the CA kit and 3799 for the 48 state kit?
Old 12/7/05, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@December 7, 2005, 9:19 PM
didnt explorer express say it was going to be 3599 for the CA kit and 3799 for the 48 state kit?
Other way around, $3500 for 48 state kit, $3700 for CA kit. I'll update the info though, thanks.
Old 12/7/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for starting this thread Jimp!

Crazy busy today... but wanted to add a thing or two under the Zex...

The V6 apparently already has a colder plug compared to the GT. You may however want to re-gap them.

To change the boost on Mike's Turbo it's a simple spring change.

The EE X-charger and Procharger are self-contained oiling. Vortech taps into the Engine oil... These can be pro or cons... depends on who you talk too.
Old 12/7/05, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Great Jimp!

Jimp
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm slowly trying to sort through it all and get the main post updated. If anyone wants to, please PM me the info you'd like added

Ok I will start using using PM. I think I am posting to much I get carried away sometimes. I will slow down and just PM you only as I get good info and just use what you think is good.

Thanks again Jimp
Old 12/7/05, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by scrming@December 7, 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Jimp!

Crazy busy today... but wanted to add a thing or two under the Zex...

The V6 apparently already has a colder plug compared to the GT. You may however want to re-gap them.

To change the boost on Mike's Turbo it's a simple spring change.

The EE X-charger and Procharger are self-contained oiling. Vortech taps into the Engine oil... These can be pro or cons... depends on who you talk too.
Thanks! Made the changes to first post.
Old 12/7/05, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 7, 2005, 10:39 PM
Great Jimp!
Good thinking linking to John (scrming) website I didn't think of that, and I have been there a number of times nice.

Ok you know what I will do when I get time I'll list info, links and pictures when and as I get time and take what you want to incorp into you post and then I will remove from my post

A couple questions because I have a feeling if this works out you will need a lot of room MB's. Do you or anyone know how much you can host in one post, I am asking because if its not a lot MB (pictures would be nice embedded along some short articles on turbos &S/C & the diff types S/C of chargers I also have nice short info packed articles packed with good info on this.Maybe start another thread cut and paste now and reserve like the first 4 post for your self to add as this gets bigger just a suggestion.

Also state something in your post like everyone’s opinion is welcomed including serious newbies don't be afraid to post ideals opinions, participate etc.

If I offer to much you feel like I am be to pushy just pm/e-mail no problem.
That sounds cool. Once we get it all figured out I can either update this thread or we can start a new one.
Old 12/7/05, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jimp,

Thanks for this, exactly what we needed. My local shop does nitrous express, they have a setup they've been using on the rangers. I will see if I can get details on it this week.
Old 12/7/05, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 7, 2005, 10:48 PM
Jimp,

Thanks for this, exactly what we needed. My local shop does nitrous express, they have a setup they've been using on the rangers. I will see if I can get details on it this week.
Ok, I added it. I'll fill in the blanks when you get the info.
Old 12/8/05, 12:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great thread! Jimp... add me to your list of thank you's!
Old 12/8/05, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Once I get my car back (argh), hopefully today or tomorrow, I'll do a full writeup on the procharger kit. There are quite a few cons, including missing components with the kit and a worthless included tune, but I'll post dyno information that should give some numbers on real-world gains.
Old 12/8/05, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Belial@December 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
Once I get my car back (argh), hopefully today or tomorrow, I'll do a full writeup on the procharger kit. There are quite a few cons, including missing components with the kit and a worthless included tune, but I'll post dyno information that should give some numbers on real-world gains.
Again sorry to hear about all the issues... but to be truthful (and blunt... sorry no offense) this does not surprise me... I've also heard horror stories about their tech support...

Hope everything gets worked out in the end... looking foward to some graphs and timeslips!!!! LOL!
Old 12/8/05, 09:25 AM
MSP
Banned

Jimp, you gotta put this kit in.. This is the highest rated kit with 310RWHP without its intercooler.. The install and oil system is better, also it has the single belt pulley system for the S/C removing the stress from the rest of the engine..

http://dashworks.net/mustang.htm

This is the Powerdyne unit.. The SC350..

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_757937/tm.htm

Its also the cheapest!!

PowerDyne

http://stores.ebay.com/Dashworks-inc

With the intercooler, this one makes 390HP @ the crank!!

Also, the ebay posting says submit best offer.. I bet he would take $3k.. Shipping is only $79 bucks.. Buy your own SCT, and your all set..

Correction, SCT included in price.. This is the best overall deal..
Old 12/8/05, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Concerning the powerdyne unit. This is copy/pasted from their ebay site directly:
----------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/v6-mustang-...sspagenameZWD1V

Supercharger kit 2005 V6 Mustang.

350 hp at crank

310 hp at rear wheels

Kit Contains:

Powerdyne BD11A self contained supercharger. No oil changing, no maintainence.
Drop in fuel injectors
SCT Excalibrator with full support for all 50 states.
Bosch bypass valve
Patent pending separate belt drive system for maximum safety and reliability. * note- one belt drive systems could cause damage to the harmonic balancer.
Boost 6lbs psi
Reusable high-flow air filter
6061-T6 aluminum plate supercharger mounting bracket and all hardware
Fully illustrated install manual

options:

Stage 2

air to air intercooler
will add 40 more hp
8-10 lbs boost
installation time:

non intercooled 4-5 hours
intercooled 6-8 hours
Warranty

3 year parts warranty

100% full tech support at 303-371-8700

-------------

My thoughts are this.... They are claiming 350whp, 310rwhp... on 6psi boost! Personally, I think they're smoking crack. I wish I knew what they're test car was.. auto or manual. Take the 350whp and calculate in 15% drivetrain loss for a manual.. right there you get 297.5 rwhp. If you assume they made 310 on their pull, calc in 15% drivetrain loss and you get 356.5 whp. 15% drivetrain loss on a manual is pretty standard. Based on my own experiences with this car it's about right. So now, right off the bat, I see fudged numbers.

Advertisement says the kit comes with injectors... I wonder what size. Upping the boost to 8-10 psi is a huge range. And I sure hope it adds more than 40hp.

Just some first thoughts.
Old 12/8/05, 10:48 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Zodiac@December 8, 2005, 8:54 AM
Concerning the powerdyne unit. This is copy/pasted from their ebay site directly:
----------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/v6-mustang-...sspagenameZWD1V

Supercharger kit 2005 V6 Mustang.

350 hp at crank

310 hp at rear wheels

Kit Contains:

Powerdyne BD11A self contained supercharger. No oil changing, no maintainence.
Drop in fuel injectors
SCT Excalibrator with full support for all 50 states.
Bosch bypass valve
Patent pending separate belt drive system for maximum safety and reliability. * note- one belt drive systems could cause damage to the harmonic balancer.
Boost 6lbs psi
Reusable high-flow air filter
6061-T6 aluminum plate supercharger mounting bracket and all hardware
Fully illustrated install manual

options:

Stage 2

air to air intercooler
will add 40 more hp
8-10 lbs boost
installation time:

non intercooled 4-5 hours
intercooled 6-8 hours
Warranty

3 year parts warranty

100% full tech support at 303-371-8700

-------------

My thoughts are this.... They are claiming 350whp, 310rwhp... on 6psi boost! Personally, I think they're smoking crack. I wish I knew what they're test car was.. auto or manual. Take the 350whp and calculate in 15% drivetrain loss for a manual.. right there you get 297.5 rwhp. If you assume they made 310 on their pull, calc in 15% drivetrain loss and you get 356.5 whp. 15% drivetrain loss on a manual is pretty standard. Based on my own experiences with this car it's about right. So now, right off the bat, I see fudged numbers.

Advertisement says the kit comes with injectors... I wonder what size. Upping the boost to 8-10 psi is a huge range. And I sure hope it adds more than 40hp.

Just some first thoughts.

Trying to decifer the Ebay sight and coming to conclusions is wrong.. Read the thread which the guy who drove the car reported.. He says 310RWHP @ the wheels without the Intercooler... So it is what it is.. Why try and put down the Powerdyne, when someone who actually drove one has submitted his thoughts on it..

The fact is, he says 310RWHP at the wheels without the intercooler.. No need to try and manipulate the facts of the kit..
Old 12/8/05, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 8, 2005, 12:51 PM
Trying to decifer the Ebay sight and coming to conclusions is wrong.. Read the thread which the guy who drove the car reported.. He says 310RWHP @ the wheels without the Intercooler... So it is what it is.. Why try and put down the Powerdyne, when someone who actually drove one has submitted his thoughts on it..

The fact is, he says 310RWHP at the wheels without the intercooler.. No need to try and manipulate the facts of the kit..
devil's advocate time.. hehehe..

I kind of the remember the thread... but was there any independent testing of the 310RWHP? How would we ever know if some ones claims are valid? I mean some of the claims we've heard are certainly suspect... So I see no problem questioning anyones numbers... and I think unless the numbers are confirmed by an independent source than we can hardly call anything a "fact"... This holds true for even your's truly.. I mean I've posted timeslips.. could have been anyones.. but to help confirm it I posted a video of the run.. I also know that Mike had his car tested on an independent dyno..

Bottom line... take everything with a large grain of salt and a big dose of "your mileage may vary" I mean 350HP at the crank = 310RWHP certainly gets me in the questioning mood... LOL!
Old 12/8/05, 11:36 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@December 8, 2005, 10:30 AM
devil's advocate time.. hehehe..

I kind of the remember the thread... but was there any independent testing of the 310RWHP? How would we ever know if some ones claims are valid? I mean some of the claims we've heard are certainly suspect... So I see no problem questioning anyones numbers... and I think unless the numbers are confirmed by an independent source than we can hardly call anything a "fact"... This holds true for even your's truly.. I mean I've posted timeslips.. could have been anyones.. but to help confirm it I posted a video of the run.. I also know that Mike had his car tested on an independent dyno..

Bottom line... take everything with a large grain of salt and a big dose of "your mileage may vary" I mean 350HP at the crank = 310RWHP certainly gets me in the questioning mood... LOL!

Yeah, my point was to have Jimp insert this as an option into his thread.. Just like the others... There is not alot of info for any of them, so I dont understand the need for debate because it got posted.. This is the reason Jimp made the thread, to post all power adders available..
Old 12/8/05, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the nitrous express option for our cars, keep in mind the shop I called said they have put this kit on many 4.0 rangers and they have done one 05 stang thus far.

Nitrous Express Base Kit

• All Ford EFI Stage 1
• PN: 20922
• Price: $560.00
• Bottle: $50.00
• Labor: $575.00

GenX2 Kit:

• Price: $378.40
• Bottle Heater
• EFI Fuel Pressure Safety Switch
• Purge Value
• Remote Bottle Opener
• Labor: $279.00

Total Packaged Price w/labor: $1835.32

He said they have several 300RWHP running around town on this setup. He said they did one 05 stang with a 100HP shot. He (Nick, http://www.eb3motorsports.com/index-backup.html ) also said they do a lot of 4.0 performance work with the Rangers, some explorers and now the new stang. He said his shop will stand behind 100HP shot and it be safe for our cars, he said 125HP should be fine…but not to go to 150+HP without some engine rework. He said at 150HP, the rear end would need work, headers, cams, pistons and possibly axles.

Nick is trust worthy; he is endorsed by the Northern Virginia Mustang Club. I have talked with him and with Larry at Excessive (http://www.excessivemotorsport.net/ ). I haven’t talked to Excessive about nitrous yet, they are a NOS shop, but will talk to him probably tomorrow. When I was in his shop on Monday, he wasn’t keen on the 4.0’s at all. Everything in the shop was a V8, but I have patience, and will make a believer out of him.

Working with Nick however was great; because he does so much ranger work…he was jazzed to get a NX kit on the cars. Nick also prefers NX over Zex because he said NX does more R&D with the ford engines than any other manufacturer. He said he has talked with them specifically about the 4.0 and all his installations are based on technical guidelines from NX directly. He said for the 4.0 or any ford engine, he swears by NX.

More to come soon! I’ll see what I can get for a NOS setup on the 4.0.
Old 12/8/05, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm slowly trying to sort through it all and get the main post updated. If anyone wants to, please PM me the info you'd like added including:
Introduction
Availablity
Price
Pros
Cons
Suggested Upgrades
I will credit whoever wants or doesn't mind. PMs or individual replies with that info would make it easier for me to sort through.

Quick Reply: (un)Official Power Adder Thread