V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

The things I learned last weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok... sorry it took so long to write this... been a very busy week... but I wanted to write down a few items...

Things I learn in Orlando...

1) Drag Radials ROCK! I think this one is pretty obvious... I knew they would make a difference... I just was not prepared for how much of a difference! It was a whole new world with the DRs when the Zex kicked in! It was such a rush it really got the adrenalin flowing! The first time I was really shaking going down the track! WOOHOO!!! The only thing is the BFG's that PH loaned me were very very short! I ran out of steam the end of the run... My new M&H's are nice and tall! LOL!

2) Our 7.5 is pretty darn sturdy! I was debating on putting the DR's on my car because I knew PH had broke things in there car when they were on the Zex... Remember I was 1400 miles from home without a trailer! LOL! But then the PH guys explained their axle/t-loc failures a little bit more... Turns out they had their Zex set up to come on at PART THROTTLE!! They were actually SPRAYING when they launched!!! So they were dumping the clutch at over 5000 RPM with the ZEX ON!!! Talk about ABUSIVE!!! No wonder things failed! Considering I have an automatic and I only launch at 1800 RPM and my car is ROLLING when the Zex comes on... well, it was pretty clear I was not going to be the hard on the rear! I made a good 6 passes on the DRs! No problems... every thing held together! My best 60' was 1.898... I had never gotten below 2.0 before!!

3) DON"T DO THE BURN OUT IN THE WATER!!! LOL! yeah... drive arond the water box... back into the water to get the tires wet... then roll forward a few feet... THEN do your burn out!!! LOL!

4) Have fun! I had an absolute blast!! I was running in the Ultra Stang class which is for 2005/06 Mustangs only... Most all fo the cars were F/I!!! And they were mostly GTs!! Let's see... I had to run against:
A) Lidio
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] PH Turbo V8
C) PH Turbo V6

so basically I got creamed! LOL! But it was a rush just lining up against these guys!!! I had an absolute blast!

One last thing... I learned that the the PowerHouse crew is a GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS!!! I want to thank all of them! They were so incredibly helpful! From loaning me tires, to lining me up at the tree, to all the tips and advice!!! So a big THANK YOU to Mike, Steve, Scott, Chris, Bob and anyone else I missed!!! You guys really went out of your way to make sure I had a great weekend!!!! Can't wait until we meet up again!

Oh... i did learn one other tidbit but i'll be keeping that to myself for the time being! LOL!
Old 3/9/06, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you had a blast!! That's quite a 60 foot improvement with the drag radials!

So, do you have turbo on the brain now?!
Old 3/9/06, 07:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ March 9, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh... i did learn one other tidbit but i'll be keeping that to myself for the time being! LOL!
[/b][/quote]

Well that's just wrong!
Old 3/9/06, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hamidlmt @ March 9, 2006, 9:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sounds like you had a blast!! That's quite a 60 foot improvement with the drag radials!

So, do you have turbo on the brain now?!
[/b][/quote]

The other thing the DR's seems to help take the driver out of the equation! My best previous time was 13.7 while Lidio was able to run a 13.4. Put the DR's on and I run a 13.4 and Lidio runs a 13.3... Our weight difference explains the ET difference. Lidio definitely has the touch and can get the best ET out of a car with street tires!!!

Honestly... and I told this to the PH guys... My Zex is working so well, I really can't justify spending that much money to move to a turbo... they nodded their head in agreement... They understood... Now if I hadn't invested in the Zex last fall... that might be a different story... but for now I'm sticking with the Zex...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ March 9, 2006, 9:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well that's just wrong!
[/b][/quote]

remember... we are still in the middle of an arms race!!! I have to have some secrets!!
Old 3/9/06, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ March 9, 2006, 9:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The other thing the DR's seems to help take the driver out of the equation! My best previous time was 13.7 while Lidio was able to run a 13.4. Put the DR's on and I run a 13.4 and Lidio runs a 13.3... Our weight difference explains the ET difference. Lidio definitely has the touch and can get the best ET out of a car with street tires!!!

Honestly... and I told this to the PH guys... My Zex is working so well, I really can't justify spending that much money to move to a turbo... they nodded their head in agreement... They understood... Now if I hadn't invested in the Zex last fall... that might be a different story... but for now I'm sticking with the Zex...
remember... we are still in the middle of an arms race!!! I have to have some secrets!!
[/b][/quote]

Seriously, who can keep up with you? I like the Zex but hardly ever use it. I'm thinking of selling my Zex and getting that darn turbo. I feel compelled. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do it. Yeah, bring it Mike. Put that sucker on the market already!
Old 3/9/06, 07:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I want the turbo so bad lol. had a $1250 setback today though (dental work). That sucks cuz i had the funds, and now i dont lol.
Old 3/9/06, 08:07 PM
Cobra R Member

hey john, when PH runs their v6 at 12psi, do they use 101(or 104) octane unleaded fuel, or a race gas?
Old 3/9/06, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 9, 2006, 10:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hey john, when PH runs their v6 at 12psi, do they use 101(or 104) octane unleaded fuel, or a race gas?
[/b][/quote]

104 octane is what they told me.
Old 3/9/06, 09:27 PM
Banned

I learned that the 2-3 shift is horrible on an auto with 4:10's, I have to do something about it. How is it on your V6 auto tranny? Do you go through the RPM's normally or does yours short shift those gears too?

Thanks, Doug.
Old 3/10/06, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ March 9, 2006, 11:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I learned that the 2-3 shift is horrible on an auto with 4:10's, I have to do something about it. How is it on your V6 auto tranny? Do you go through the RPM's normally or does yours short shift those gears too?

Thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

I've got the 4.10s and eveything seems to be ok...

Looking at some old logs my 2-3 shift looks ok... RPMS go from 5900 down to 4000...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ March 9, 2006, 9:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Seriously, who can keep up with you? I like the Zex but hardly ever use it. I'm thinking of selling my Zex and getting that darn turbo. I feel compelled. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do it. Yeah, bring it Mike. Put that sucker on the market already!
[/b][/quote]

Actually that's one thing about the Zex.. i hardly use it! LOL! I think having all that extra power all the time would:

A) just get me into more trouble!
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] Cost me way to much in tires!!!

By not installing a remote bottle opener it just takes the temptation right out of the equation!
Old 3/10/06, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ March 9, 2006, 9:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I will catch Scrming, just a matter of time. Unless he goes crazy and does a termnator transplant. LOL.
Old 3/10/06, 08:19 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ March 9, 2006, 9:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I want the turbo so bad lol. had a $1250 setback today though (dental work). That sucks cuz i had the funds, and now i dont lol.
[/b][/quote]

Buy Jimp/BlackLX's Zex!!! LOL.
Old 3/10/06, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

scrming, i saw you run last weekend, car looked great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Budders @ March 10, 2006, 10:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
scrming, i saw you run last weekend, car looked great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks!!!
Old 3/10/06, 08:58 AM

darn, a 60 of 1.8 is awesome.
Old 3/11/06, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

My favorite picture from last weekend!