V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

T-Bird SC, anybody modified one to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/06, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Bird SC, anybody modified one to fit?

Has anybody thought about modifying a T-Bird supercharger from a 3.8 to fit the 4.0? It seems to me that it would be some good cheap horsepower if it could be done.
Old 7/13/06, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Someone asked Doug at Bamachips awhile back. It sounded like it was a lot of work. The T-Bird was a 3.8 liter 90 degree angle, the Mustang is 4.0 60 degree angle block.
Old 7/13/06, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

But isn't that just a problem with the intake manafold?
Old 7/14/06, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess you could fabricate another intake. It sounded like there was more issues involved the way the e-mail read. Hopefully we can get Doug involved. He's worked with both engines and the EE blowers.
Old 7/14/06, 06:35 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by Hudster
Has anybody thought about modifying a T-Bird supercharger from a 3.8 to fit the 4.0? It seems to me that it would be some good cheap horsepower if it could be done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWD1V

http://candmnovelties.com/
Old 7/14/06, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

MSP,

Thanks for the post. It looks like you can buy the intake for $655. The only other problems I can see is the plenum and other tidbits like the EGR hose. These will be different on the Mustang so you might have to fabricate these component. You'll still have to tune it, so I guess you have to factor that into the costs.
Old 7/14/06, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Cconsidering you can pick up a used supercharger from e-bay for @ $500, compared to 3 to 4 grand, that's some cheap horsepower. Thanks guys for the replys.
Old 7/14/06, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're looking for some cheap horsepower do the 24v DOHC swap.
Old 7/15/06, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac
If you're looking for some cheap horsepower do the 24v DOHC swap.
A little more info please?
Old 7/15/06, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...t=107254&pp=30

There were theads about this on TMS a while ago but I imagine they're gone now with all the server changes.
Old 7/15/06, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...t=107254&pp=30

There were theads about this on TMS a while ago but I imagine they're gone now with all the server changes.
Was that ever confirmed? I remember that thread now. Someone is saying you should be able to do it but nobody is saying you actually can.
Old 7/15/06, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlackLX4.0
Was that ever confirmed? I remember that thread now. Someone is saying you should be able to do it but nobody is saying you actually can.
Nope, gains were never confirmed on this one. Im pretty darn sure that its possible. But like they say in that thread I linked to, you would probably have to have a custom set of grinds. Id be willing to bet the gains would be worth the time, money, and effort. At the least it would shift your power up more in the mid-high range from down low where we see it now, and Id love to run that with a higher gear set up, 4.10s etc. Add that with a little high end FI and youd have a nice little baby to run with
Old 7/16/06, 03:06 AM
MSP
Banned

Nope, gains were never confirmed on this one. Im pretty darn sure that its possible. But like they say in that thread I linked to, you would probably have to have a custom set of grinds. Id be willing to bet the gains would be worth the time, money, and effort. At the least it would shift your power up more in the mid-high range from down low where we see it now, and Id love to run that with a higher gear set up, 4.10s etc. Add that with a little high end FI and youd have a nice little baby to run with
Rumor has it that a 4.5L Stroker kit is coming out for our cars.. Hopefully the kit is no more than $1500 bucks.. That way you can spend the bulk of the money putting the kit in..

I will definatley be doing that 4.5L stroker kit if and when it comes out, if the price is no more than $1500..

This way we can lower the boost to 8psi and run 450RWHP all day long, or up the boost to 17 and run at 600RWHP.. LOL!!

Those numbers are wild speculation.. However, when doing the stroker kit, it couldnt hurt to add the DOHC Cosworth heads on while the motor is out of the car.. Imagine that.. 4.5L Cosworth DOHC Stroker making 600RWHP!! LOL! WOW!

On its face value, a 4.5L N/A motor would be 236HP and 270TQ.. With 10psi of boost your looking at 386HP and 420TQ.. This will be all forged internals with low compression pistons, so lets slap 17PSI to it just for giggles..

This would now be 491HP and 525TQ @ the flywheel.. LOL! This is on a SOHC setup.. Who knows what these numbers would change to with DOHC Cosworth heads with 4 valves per cylinder.. LOL!!

Also, on the speculated part.. A 4.5L Stroker with 8psi of boost would be 356HP @ the flywheel and 390TQ..
Old 7/16/06, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, I'm definitely keen on this one. Now that SSM has some competition in this arena, I'm hoping for a price tag that is more...swallowable.

Last time I spec'd out a motor from SSM, cost was going to be 5K and that was not for a stroker kit.

So, we shall see, but what a sleeper a boosted 4.5L would be. Can you imagine it. And unique.
Old 7/16/06, 06:32 PM
Cam Tease

If I were willing to spend that kind of money and wanted to keep the car a six shooter, I would give it another year or two. By then Ford should have a turbocharged D35 variant that could be feasibly swapped for the 4.0.
Old 7/17/06, 09:14 PM

[quote=MSP]Rumor has it that a 4.5L Stroker kit is coming out for our cars.. Hopefully the kit is no more than $1500 bucks.. That way you can spend the bulk of the money putting the kit in..
quote]

Tom Morana is working on this, but the OHV version is $2500 for the parts - $3500 for a short block.

http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=32

Rob
Old 7/17/06, 10:14 PM
MSP
Banned

[quote=BeachPony]
Originally Posted by MSP
Rumor has it that a 4.5L Stroker kit is coming out for our cars.. Hopefully the kit is no more than $1500 bucks.. That way you can spend the bulk of the money putting the kit in..
quote]

Tom Morana is working on this, but the OHV version is $2500 for the parts - $3500 for a short block.

http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=32

Rob
Stroker short block- incl. all above 4.5 Stroker components plus, block(bored & honed) assembled- $3,500.

With heavy duty double rolling timing chain, performance camshaft(your choice)add $400.00

Stroker long block or complete also available-prices depending on your choice of head stage.

All short block, long block, or complete Stroker Engines require a $300. core charge

I would do $3500 bucks for the shortblock assembled.. Lets see what happens..
Old 7/25/06, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

This has gotten way off topic. Myself, I have this Eaton SC and I plan to use it. This can be done easily and with a 10% overdrive pulley and water/methanol injection. The plenum can be easily modified to use the driver side air intake. Anything else one plans to do is a big waste of money per $$. This is one cheap mod imho
Old 7/25/06, 10:54 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by Buschris
This has gotten way off topic. Myself, I have this Eaton SC and I plan to use it. This can be done easily and with a 10% overdrive pulley and water/methanol injection. The plenum can be easily modified to use the driver side air intake. Anything else one plans to do is a big waste of money per $$. This is one cheap mod imho
I posted the link where you can get the custom M90 lower intake.. I would make sure you get that to go along with your M90, then you can build it up from there..

Nice to meet ya and good luck! Post plenty of pics of the build up.. Using the M90 was my very first idea in regards to FI.. If you can have a local shop fab up the pieces it should work..

Also, the water/meth will also keep power consistent..
Old 7/25/06, 12:57 PM
V6 Member

yes, that guy had the kit for some time now. I'm sure he would reverse the plenum upon request for the driver side intake and possibly a couple other things as well. I see there are some rebuild parts on Ebay also, like bearings and stuff. One company has totally modified the SC to make better power which imo could be done by anyone with a dremel. I just wish my rotors were teflon coated.

Thanks, I have been lurking for over a year just never posted until recently.

*There's a coating one can do right at home, Teflon/Moly paint that you spray one a couple light coats then bake in the oven. It actually sinks into the pores of the metal and it is slick as all getout. I did this to quite a few of my guns and it works wonders. Hadn't thought of this until now, wonder if it would work?? The rotors don't actually touch...*
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...%2c+GUN+FINISH

2006 Mustang V6 Auto, Tungsten Grey on black, Dual h-pipe with GT mufflers, Tuneable Induction intake, SCT X-cal2, Headrest modification,
Stainless bar grille, and of course, the Zaino system.

Quick Reply: T-Bird SC, anybody modified one to fit?