V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Strut Tower Brace fit problem

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/06, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut Tower Brace fit problem

Hi,
I just got the Granatelli Single Strut Tower Brace for my V6 and it would not fit. It just rock on the top of the plenum until I put washers underneath it. Has anyone had this problem? I called Granatelli and they want me to take pics of it so they can see the problem. Will the washers hurt anything. There is not much thread left after the washers. It gave me a hair of clearance and I think I heard it clank on a bump. Any suggestions of what to do with this strut bar or another one to buy.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 10/11/06, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
send him the pics. Was the box damaged at all? How many washers did you use? I would not use more than one washer on each stud.
Old 10/11/06, 10:53 AM
Cobra R Member

agree not more than one washer. If you are not using a cover, it should fit like a glove.
Old 10/11/06, 12:00 PM

The box wasn't damaged. I am using 3 washers right now. I can't change that until I am home tonight. What will the extra washers do? Will they break the studs?
Old 10/11/06, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
usally the rule for threads through a nut should be a minimum of two.
Old 10/11/06, 05:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

TJKII,

Welcome to the world of JR and his lies. He sold me a double STB for my GT and I specifically asked him if it comes down on the Midwest Auto Gear plenum cover, he told me no. Well guess what, got it a week later, and it layed on it hard, and cracked the inside of the plenum cover, I've been ****ed since then, I did nothing about returning it, cause he sold me the bar pretty cheap and I have not wanted to deal with him since. in the meantime I did put two washers underneath the bar and it helped VERY little. And overtime, the bar has developed rust spots.....

never buyin from Granatelli again
Old 10/12/06, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Strut tower braces are a waste of time anyhow. If you want to spend some money for a dress up do it for functionality.
Old 10/24/06, 02:22 PM

Here is another post of Granatelli and their lies. I ordered a double brace and asked specifically if it would fit. I was told yes. The day that I received it, it would not go on. That same day I saw a post from JR saying that it would not fit the '07s with the factory cover. I sent it back about 3 weeks ago, and I am still trying to get my refund. They have agreed to a refund by PM and by phone, but still nothing. My last PM has gone unanswered for almost a week. I now have to file a complaint with my credit card company to try and recoup my $119. What a poorly run company!
Old 10/25/06, 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

yea good old JR, I wonder how he gets around in his business doing this kind of crap..
Old 10/25/06, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
Strut tower braces are a waste of time anyhow. If you want to spend some money for a dress up do it for functionality.
I disagree. Many of us empirically feel that handling was greatly improved after installing strut brace bar. Here the theory behind it:
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/St...bar_theory.htm

Btw, in MHO it is VERY difficult to find a brace for V6 that will clear the engine block AND not rub on the hood liner. I have Steeda that I am very pleased with, but it made a small impression on the hood liner.
Old 10/28/06, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AvtoLubitel
I disagree. Many of us empirically feel that handling was greatly improved after installing strut brace bar. Here the theory behind it:
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/St...bar_theory.htm

Btw, in MHO it is VERY difficult to find a brace for V6 that will clear the engine block AND not rub on the hood liner. I have Steeda that I am very pleased with, but it made a small impression on the hood liner.
I fully understand the theory, a strut tower brace will stiffen the front suspension to improve cornering ability. With that being said unless yours is an SCCA car I don`t believe a stock or even mildly modified car will see any difference. To somewhat prove my point has any complaints of hood pinching aside the strut towers from flex without a strut bar been made? Why doesn`t Saleen use them? I saw the TV show on the engineering of the Ford GT and how the frame is good to 250,000 lbs of torque before a frame failure occured. A Ford GT is not a Mustang but I`m sure a lot of that engineering went into it. I`ve had my 06 for only 10 months and made 2 cross country trips with some heavy mountain driving with cornering speeds that would make most people wet their pants and this car never ceases to amaze me. I would challenge your feelings as wishful thinking. Give me some G force measurements with and without on cornering at breakaway and I`ll reconsider.
Old 10/29/06, 03:47 PM

I've had my BMR STB on my pony for about 2 weeks. I have seen noticeable improvement in cornering feel. It feels much flatter and more sure footed in the turns. Well worth the 139.00 I paid for it.
Old 12/19/07, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
How tightly do these aftermarket STB's fit on the strut mount? The reason I ask is because if the strut tower only moves 1-2mm, and there's 5 mm of clearance around the STB holes, then it's not going to brace anything. It will instead rely on the friction of the nut clamping down on the bar and strut tower surface.