V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Show us the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/06, 01:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone show me a legible, back-to-back dyno sheet comparison that proves you can gain 10 hp or more, measured at the rear wheel, with just a CAI and a tune? No B.S. now, after all of the threads in here that have been dedicated to CAIs and flash tuners, I have yet to see anyone post a dyno sheet showing significant gains (I have seen one guy who got 9 ponys after a CAI and some extensive tuning). I don't want to hear about numbers (or improved throttle response) I want to see them.

$500 or more for 3-4 hp gains just doesn't seem worth it to me (not in a car that weighs 3,300 lbs). Get to the 10 pony mark and then you've got something!

If you have got the numbers, and the dyno sheet to prove it, were you able to do it with anything less than 93 octane fuel? Be honest now.

And while we're at it, can anyone post a dyno sheet showing any hp gains with just an axle-back exhaust system?
Old 1/22/06, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try these:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=41905

I've also posted my dyno sheets, and they can be found on my web site. Currently I'm at 193.9 RWHP SAE, and stock I was at 168 RWHP SAE (I'm an AUTO). But with a muffler, CAI, SCT and a really good tune, I have seen several manuals in the 205-208 RWHP SAE range.

Hope this helps. So I assume you have a 05+ stang, please tell us more about it.
Old 1/22/06, 07:25 AM

With just an Axleback exchuast system, you should talk to Scrming. I think he is the only one with a dyno sheet from just his magnaflow straight through muff. I think he said the dyno showed a 10 RWHP gain, but don't quote me on that.

I got a dyno sheet with my magnaflows and my old AFE CAI with no tune and got 16 RWHP on it.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!
Old 1/22/06, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 22, 2006, 9:28 AM
With just an Axleback exchuast system, you should talk to Scrming. I think he is the only one with a dyno sheet from just his magnaflow straight through muff. I think he said the dyno showed a 10 RWHP gain, but don't quote me on that.

I got a dyno sheet with my magnaflows and my old AFE CAI with no tune and got 16 RWHP on it.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!
yeah, we never did any acutal back to back testing... but with just a single axle back, 4.10s and track lock the car was at 184RWHP.. A typical stock auto is in the 167 to 172RWHP range.. Now the 4.10s can actually cause a car to show less HP (but more TQ) so the 4.10s certainly do not add HP.. That being said I think is a very safe claim to say the single axle back Magnaflow showed a significant gain over the stock muffler.. and the ballpark number I've been using is 10RWHP... I still have my stock muffler laying around... some day I may do some more dyno research... but I don't see that happening for a while... LOL!

Also back to the OP... You said, "I don't want to hear about numbers (or improved throttle response) I want to see them." Don't get me wrong but sometimes this is not the best attitude... The C&L beat out my MMR by about 3RWHP... that's not a big enough difference to really feel... BUT the dyno does not tell the whole story.. on the street the improved throttle response was nothing short of amazing! And the car pulled stroinger.... I was chirping tires at part throttle which had never happened with my MMR (only at WOT)... That being said... don't put all your faith in strictly dyno sheets... Remember dynos are very static enviroments... I use the dyno sheets to evaluate and to try and undestand what is going on... but at the end of the day it's how the car performs on the street and at the strip... because... remember...

Old 1/22/06, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 22, 2006, 3:04 AM
Can anyone show me a legible, back-to-back dyno sheet comparison that proves you can gain 10 hp or more, measured at the rear wheel, with just a CAI and a tune? No B.S. now, after all of the threads in here that have been dedicated to CAIs and flash tuners, I have yet to see anyone post a dyno sheet showing significant gains (I have seen one guy who got 9 ponys after a CAI and some extensive tuning). I don't want to hear about numbers (or improved throttle response) I want to see them.

$500 or more for 3-4 hp gains just doesn't seem worth it to me (not in a car that weighs 3,300 lbs). Get to the 10 pony mark and then you've got something!

If you have got the numbers, and the dyno sheet to prove it, were you able to do it with anything less than 93 octane fuel? Be honest now.

And while we're at it, can anyone post a dyno sheet showing any hp gains with just an axle-back exhaust system?
ok.. here's some more to think about... When you start changing thing... well they don't always seem to added up or work out like you would expect... Here's a perfect example.

Lidio did back to back testing of on 100% stock V6 automatic. The tune alone showed a 12RWHP gain... more imporatantly it removed the torque limiter and freed up massive bottom end torque! LOL!

here' the dyno sheet... this is the real thing... I seen the car... it was a screaming yelllow.. just like mine...

Now the other day we put my car back to stock except for the muffler, gears and track-lock... car is at 184RWHP.... so adding the C&L and tune you would assume I would be at least 196RWHP since the tune on a stock car added 12RWHP... but no, it only ended up with a 9RWHP gain... here's that sheet:

I'm really starting to wonder how much the 4.10s end up "shifting" my HP... wonder if we should try our pulls in a different gear to compensate... hmmmm..

Anyways... I will pretty much stand by my statement that there is enough flaws in the cars programming that a tuner is a must have mod... BTW.. I know Lidio mentioned it and someone else just reminded me... the throttle lag is built into the programming... when you stomp on the gas the computer only opens the TB part way... and then like after a second (or was it .5? or 1.5?) the computer finally lets the car go WOT... You just can't really measure that on a dyno... LOL
Old 1/22/06, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I have no dyno sheets, but i think a lot of our 1/4 ET's speak for themselves. Running 14's is very common with these v6's with very few boltons. im at 14.73 with just intake and tune and thats at 1200feet
scrming is low-mid 13's with his auto zexed car.
Boltons (mostly a tune) really wakes these cars up.
Old 1/22/06, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

So it seems like some of you have made it, although the majority of you posting high numbers seem to have automatics (I have a manual). Also, it seems that 4.10 gearing will increase torque, and lower your 1/4 mile time, but will not increase hp.

No one has mentioned what octane fuel they are running, however. Is anyone posting 10 hp gains with 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel? Unfortunately, here in sunny California, 93 octane is not an option, unless you are willing to go to some sort of specialty shop (which I am not).

The throttle lag is an emmissions control thing and is standard on all cars now. A tune can eliminate that, but that's not increasing hp, its just removing artificial lag. That will decrease your 1/4 mile time, however.

So far it sounds like a tune can speed your car up by removing throttle lag, and improving the shift characteristics of an automatic. I suspect that any additional gains come from the combination of a high flow air filter (or CAI), higher octane fuel, and a good tune to maximize the new air/fuel capacity of the the engine after these changes.

Did not mean to dis' throttle response, but a lot of posts speak of throttle response and hp as if they are interchangeable. Throttle response will get you off the line quicker, and lower a 1/4 mile time, but it will not necessarily increase the maximum output of the engine.

For example, one really cheap way to increase your throttle response would be to simply to remove your air filter element for racing. (I used to run a souped-up VW Karman Ghia with dual Weber 44IDF carbs, velocity stacks, and no air filters 100% of the time! I used to run in the low 13's if anyone was wondering--but that was with some extensive engine work!) While that might actually give you an extra pony or two, its most dramatic effect would be to improve air flow and increases throttle response. (Although on these new cars you would probably need a tune just to take advantage of that!)

It seems that for the money, an exhaust might be the best single mod (although once again, you may need a tune to take advantage of it). I haven't seen any dyno sheets posted showing back-to-back runs stock vs. stock with a new exhaust, has anyone else?
Old 1/22/06, 01:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Im runnin a 91 octane tune.
IM goin to be doin my exhaust soon, so i will probably get a dyno after that to see what im at. Just got to see what i like the sound of the best. Might just do gt takeoffs
Old 1/22/06, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 22, 2006, 2:28 PM
So it seems like some of you have made it, although the majority of you posting high numbers seem to have automatics (I have a manual). Also, it seems that 4.10 gearing will increase torque, and lower your 1/4 mile time, but will not increase hp.

No one has mentioned what octane fuel they are running, however. Is anyone posting 10 hp gains with 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel? Unfortunately, here in sunny California, 93 octane is not an option, unless you are willing to go to some sort of specialty shop (which I am not).

The throttle lag is an emmissions control thing and is standard on all cars now. A tune can eliminate that, but that's not increasing hp, its just removing artificial lag. That will decrease your 1/4 mile time, however.

So far it sounds like a tune can speed your car up by removing throttle lag, and improving the shift characteristics of an automatic. I suspect that any additional gains come from the combination of a high flow air filter (or CAI), higher octane fuel, and a good tune to maximize the new air/fuel capacity of the the engine after these changes.

Did not mean to dis' throttle response, but a lot of posts speak of throttle response and hp as if they are interchangeable. Throttle response will get you off the line quicker, and lower a 1/4 mile time, but it will not necessarily increase the maximum output of the engine.

For example, one really cheap way to increase your throttle response would be to simply to remove your air filter element for racing. (I used to run a souped-up VW Karman Ghia with dual Weber 44IDF carbs, velocity stacks, and no air filters 100% of the time! I used to run in the low 13's if anyone was wondering--but that was with some extensive engine work!) While that might actually give you an extra pony or two, its most dramatic effect would be to improve air flow and increases throttle response. (Although on these new cars you would probably need a tune just to take advantage of that!)

It seems that for the money, an exhaust might be the best single mod (although once again, you may need a tune to take advantage of it). I haven't seen any dyno sheets posted showing back-to-back runs stock vs. stock with a new exhaust, has anyone else?

Actually on our cars the throttle lag also has to do with Ford's Torque Managment System... which is their way of trying to "make sure your drivetrain makes it through the warranty period" as my engineer buddy from Ford says...

Removing the air filter probably wouldn't do much to help the situation... remember this is fly-by wire and the computer controls everything...

Also if you have an automatic the Torque Management System will prevent your car from spinning the tire(s)... I'm not talking about traction control here... Basically if the computer sees to much torque it retards the timing in order to kill the power... which gets very frustrating after a while...LOL! Feels like the car is bogging down... Remember Torque is what sits you back in the seat and for me is a big part of the fun factor... If I can't make torque off the line I might as well have stuck with my Boxster! LOL! Thankfully a good tune will fix all that!

Also Doug and Lidio have pretty much found that our cars really don't seem to gain much by trying to tune for 91.. you just can't advance the timing much... Now if I remember correctly Doug was able to push the manual some but was surprised how little timing he could add on an automatic.. Lidio and I found the same thing on my car... so it's pretty safe to say that with an 89 tune you'll see pretty close results... My N/A dynos on my site are all with just an 89 tune... My Nitrous graphs are with custom nitrous tune...
Old 1/22/06, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 22, 2006, 3:28 PM
So it seems like some of you have made it, although the majority of you posting high numbers seem to have automatics (I have a manual).

T-Stang,

I have a 5 speed as well. The first performance mod I made was JBA Axleback. No before and after dyno, just SOTP. Sorry!

Then I added a CAI, 3.73, a Detroit TrueTrac, and most recently a 93 Octane custom tune. That gave me 205 RWHP/239RWTQ SAE.

Comparing that to stock SAE numbers assuming 15% powertrain loss:

241-210= 31 HP gain
281-240= 41 TQ gain

As you can see, my RWHP and RWTQ are about what the numbers should be at the crank.

Bottom Line: Tunes work. CAIs work. AND I hit max torque FAST!!! AND stay there!

I do not know exactly what caused what. I believe that they all worked in synergy. However, I will be posting before and after numbers for dual exhaust. Keep in mind that something small as wheel placement can cause fluctuations in numbers.
Old 1/23/06, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

I want to thank everyone so far for all of the serious yet friendly replies, and I hope they will continue, but I must point out that so far Scrming is the only one showing dyno numbers and he is showing 9 hp with a CAI, tune, and exhaust; and 12 hp on a separate automatic with just a tune.

Excepcion, your claiming 31 hp from your intake, exhaust, and tune? (That is assuming that the 3.73 and TrueTrac do not actually increase hp.)

Those are whopping numbers. I really want to believe that is possible, but I am going to have to see a dyno before I will.
Old 1/23/06, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by T-stang@January 23, 2006, 2:18 AM
I want to thank everyone so far for all of the serious yet friendly replies, and I hope they will continue, but I must point out that so far Scrming is the only one showing dyno numbers and he is showing 9 hp with a CAI, tune, and exhaust; and 12 hp in a separate automatic with just a tune.

Excepcion, your claiming 31 hp from your intake, exhaust, and tune? (That is assuming that the 3.73 and TrueTrac do not actually increase hp.)

Those are whopping numbers. I really want to believe that is possible, but I am going to have to see a dyno before I will.
His numbers are really there, I go to the same shop and saw them on the dynojet software (the guys at the shop let me look at other dyno sheets on thier computer). Not sure if you checked the link I sent you before, but this should be proof enough of what these cars are capable of:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=26413&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=39240&hl=
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=39659&hl=

I also must say that Scrming is the only one posting sheets in this thread, but you have been given resources to look at sheets posted in other threads and sites. I think you are looking at this from more a convenience issue, i.e. not looking at other threads and not using the forums search function.

At this point, it is a pretty well know fact that the following HP gains can be made with bolt ons/tuner on all of the forums:

-Manual: 205-208+ RWHP
-Auto: 190-194 RWHP

I'm not trying to be abrasive, just get the facts out on the table. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your posts.

Best of luck.
Old 1/23/06, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 23, 2006, 3:18 AM

I'm not here to make a believer out of you. I understand your skepticism but could care less whether you believe me or not. Sorry, but you do not know me and are basically calling me a liar. I have no reason to dissemble and am not selling a product. In fact, my MMR is not even the best CAI out there.

I am claiming nothing. Unless the Dynojet is faulty, my numbers are what they are. I am simply relaying what I and another forum member have seen with our own eyes. Scrming has the ability to post his sheets, I do not. If I did, I would. The numbers are estimates based on a 15% powertrain loss. The real numbers could be slightly higher or lower.

If you are looking for independently verified data that conclusivley proves x over y, then do some forum searching. Even then, this is not UL, this is a Mustang Forum. When ever anyone here makes a move, we post the good and bad.

Or pay for my dyno sessions and buy me a scanner. At $200 a dyno tune session, I do what I can to contribute to the group as a whole.
Old 1/24/06, 12:51 AM
V6 Member

To all of those concerned:

Touchy, touchy! "Me thinks he doth protest too much."

OP asked people to post dynos! Some people answered without dynos, and some of them seem offended when I ask "where's your dyno?" Remember, I said I don't want to "hear" about numbers, I want to "see" them. :nono:

There are plenty of other threads where people can go to "discuss" their numbers. I personally have grown wary of some of those particular threads. This was always intended as a "show me" forum. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

Rygenstorlocke:

You are right, I did not see your links the first time because I was actually looking for posted sheets like Scrmings. Zodiac (the first dyno on your original posted thread) shows 16 hp running 93 octane. That's great, but unfortunatlely I can't get 93 octane readily in California. Getopless shows 292 hp!!! Even with headers and pulleys that has got to be a GT, no? He has another single run dyno showing 441 hp. What's that all about? Why did Jimp and Doug904 post the exact same dyno sheets? And hey, isn't looking at some other guys dyno runs on the computer some sort of invasion of privacy issue? Who do you think you are, President Bush or something?

On the next link (the first link on the second post) Doug904 shows 2.7 hp on a customer's car, but claims 8-12 hp with a 93 octane tune. Afixer shows 3.8 hp and 18.3 lbs. of torque with a drop in K&N air filter, a tune, and GT exhausts (I think he has an automatic, and his numbers may be low because he did not begin with a stock baseline).

On the next link Zodiac shows 10 hp with a C&L and a 93 octane tune (this was just before his now famous "ticket run.") On the final link Doug904 shoes 8.3 hp with an extensive 93 octane tune on another automatic.

My conclusions thus far: an average of 8-10 hp with a quality intake, a good 93 octane tune, on an automatic. Alas, I have a manual, and as I have stated before I can not get 93 octane readily in California. Bummer.

Question: why did so many of you kittens get automatics?

Finally, please note: I did not call anyone a liar! Nor will I (no gentleman would); but I reserve my right to withhold my judgement and always will.

If it will make everyone feel better we can change the subject to something less offensive, like: "What size is your wife's rear end?" (Some pics would be nice!) This is assuming that she drives a Mustang of course.

Old 1/24/06, 01:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, here's my first, and thus far, only dyno, taken after the gears and Auburn were installed. Most of you used dynojets... this is on a Mustang dyno. From all of my research, the Mustang dyno is reported to show 8-15% less (depending on who you ask - that's the about the widest range I've seen) than the dynojet.

Doug just sent me updated tunes for the C&L intake.. can't figure out how to install 'em on the X-cal 2 lol! Sometime in the near future, I'll get an actual dyno tune on the Mustand dyno and then turn around and monitor hp/tq on a dynojet.

[attachmentid=43575]

btw.... air/fuel ratios were not monitored on this run... the number down there on the bottom of the sheet is a default reading. Oh... and I have an auto too.
Old 1/24/06, 03:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 24, 2006, 2:54 AM

<snip>

<snip>
You are way over the line with that comment... I'm pretty sure "kittens" is not what you meant... and that the langauge filter changed it... I tried to be helpful, even though I thought you were being a little arrogant... Now I know you really are... so why don't you go spend your're own hard earned cash on parts and dyno time and find out for yourself...

With an attitude like yours you won't make many friends in here... and just wait until the V8 boys start bashing you because you bought a wimpy V6... LOL!

Have a nice life...
Old 1/24/06, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 23, 2006, 11:54 PM

OP asked people to post dynos! Some people answered without dynos, and some of them seem offended when I ask "where's your dyno?" Remember, I said I don't want to "hear" about numbers, I want to "see" them. :nono:

There are plenty of other threads where people can go to "discuss" their numbers. I personally have grown wary of some of those particular threads. This was always intended as a "show me" forum. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

Rygenstorlocke:

You are right, I did not see your links the first time because I was actually looking for posted sheets like Scrmings. Zodiac (the first dyno on your original posted thread) shows 16 hp running 93 octane. That's great, but unfortunatlely I can't get 93 octane readily in California. Getopless shows 292 hp!!! Even with headers and pulleys that has got to be a GT, no? He has another single run dyno showing 441 hp. What's that all about? Why did Jimp and Doug904 post the exact same dyno sheets? And hey, isn't looking at some other guys dyno runs on the computer some sort of invasion of privacy issue? Who do you think you are, President Bush or something?

On the next link (the first link on the second post) Doug904 shows 2.7 hp on a customer's car, but claims 8-12 hp with a 93 octane tune. Afixer shows 3.8 hp and 18.3 lbs. of torque with a drop in K&N air filter, a tune, and GT exhausts (I think he has an automatic, and his numbers may be low because he did not begin with a stock baseline).

On the next link Zodiac shows 10 hp with a C&L and a 93 octane tune (this was just before his now famous "ticket run.") On the final link Doug904 shoes 8.3 hp with an extensive 93 octane tune on another automatic.

My conclusions thus far: an average of 8-10 hp with a quality intake, a good 93 octane tune, on an automatic. Alas, I have a manual, and as I have stated before I can not get 93 octane readily in California. Bummer.

Finally, please note: I did not call anyone a liar! Nor will I (no gentleman would); but I reserve my right to withhold my judgement and always will.

If it will make everyone feel better we can change the subject to something less offensive, like: "What size is your wife's rear end?" (Some pics would be nice!) This is assuming that she drives a Mustang of course.

well, I didn't see your post before adding my last comment on this thread. Went back and re-read it this morning.

Hey, lil kitten... ya started a discussion, an interesting one at that, but looks like you aren't getting what you want, eh? You want back to back dyno numbers, I'll show you the size of my PayPal button. Let's see a dyno sheet or list of mods from you...
Old 1/24/06, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

@ TStang

Your "requests" (read demands) are really not unreasonable, your attitude just really sucks. I don't remember anyone coming in and just barking orders like some Drill Instructor at Receiving. It seemed like you were sending your minions out to do your bidding. "Research this and bring me back everything you can find, lackey! I want concrete proof that x is better than z so that I can benefit from your time and money. And I want it my way right away!"

That is why I responded the way that I did the second time. I took time out of my day to respond to you, even though you are rude and obnoxious, and let you know that the manual V6's are posting incredible NA numbers with simple bolt-ons. But instead of responding like a reasonable man, you did the eqivalent of, "I SAID HOLD THE MAYO!"

Remember, I said I don't want to "hear" about numbers, I want to "see" them. :nono:
Again, who cares what you want when your attitude stinks? That is the point. We obviously don't know how important you are.

This was always intended as a "show me" forum.
Sorry, I thought it was Brad Barnett's Mustang Source. I must have missed the memo.... I wasn't aware that you set the rules. Again, I must not know how important you are.

I am sorry if that offends anyone.
Really, than why did you do it again? Or did you think to win the crowd with your kitten comment? Is that what passes for wit in your neck of the woods?

Or are we just "getting you wrong?"

My conclusions thus far: an average of 8-10 hp with a quality intake, a good 93 octane tune, on an automatic.
Great. Than all of your "demands" have paid off! So glad that we could be of assistance. However, I really would take that number and double it. But then again, your keen and penetrating mind has reasoned that a muffler is better than a tuner as the single greatest mod. Hmmm, better check the other posts!

BTW, what have you contributed to this thread and/or forum? Oh, right, if we ever want to race a VW Karman Ghia...

Yes, we all have that right, and you will see many here exercise it.

No one here was adverse to helping you or discussing things with you. But none of us work for you. Perhaps you should reread your posts and try and see how they might come across to others. If it was just me who thought you were rude and arrogant, you could probably just ignore it.

Like they say, if one man calls you a donkey, pay it no mind. But if two call you a donkey, buy a saddle....
Old 1/24/06, 06:43 AM

@T-Stang,

I’m sorry you are not finding what you are seeking. When I first read your response I initially was just going to ignore it, but after reading it, I have decided to respond.

First, you should check your approach, all of your posts have come off as arrogant which doesn’t work with this group here. Perhaps it is your writing style, and you are really this cool constructive person, but unfortunately it seems most of the members here are not buying it. When you first posted, I welcomed you to the forum, asked you about your stang, etc. I was actually trying to get you to tell us more about your ride, and exactly what your goals were. I guess you can call it building synergy. I was trying to take this constructive approach because of either your arrogance or writing style, and was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. I understand that internet communication can often be misunderstood.

Now, you inquired on privacy or what not. The day I actually did that, it was more a lesson from Chris (Excessive) on what a TC is and how it locks up on an automatic tranny. This of course led into him making a strong case for the C4 if I build a dedicated track car, which I will.

The rest of your comments are simply unacceptable and not constructive. Whether people here can post dyno sheets or not, all of their numbers (STD or SAE) fall in line with what these cars are capable of, and everyone who has posted numbers or dyno sheets has established credibility with the group here. No one is claiming anything outrageous, just providing the facts.

Back to your original question, you are a manual V6 in sunny CA. Congratulations. I hate to answer your question, even though it has been staring you in the face, but I will for the sake of anyone reading this thread trying to gleam the facts from it.

As follows:

• 91 OCT/Manual V6/CAI/XCAL2/High Flow Muffler can break 200 RWHP SAE

There’s your answer, you may choose to believe it or not. I suggest you PM Doug; he has been working with the 4.0 forever, long before it showed up in the Stang (Rangers and Explorers).

If this does not answer your question, then I suggest you do some research like the rest of us, actually read and scroll through the forums, digest and put up a constructive post for feedback. I personally read the forum for nearly a month before I started posting questions about performance.

Best of luck to you in your endeavour, whatever that may be.
Old 1/24/06, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Double post

Quick Reply: Show us the numbers