http://www.mustangforums.com/m_90871..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 1/14/06, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe...well, I put in an X-pipe...you reference an H-pipe article :spin:
Old 1/14/06, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Wow, that sounds great! I like the progression of the systems as you added to it. Really does make a difference. When I bought my Mustang, one of the prep guys mentioned putting duals on it to make it sound nicer, and I've had the itch to do it ever since. These sound clips really make it tough to not want to run out and do it!
Old 1/14/06, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Kami. If you put on just ONE of the GT-take offs, it improves the sound quite a bit...and it's pretty cheap and pretty easy to do it yourself! But I'll warn ya...putting on one makes you want the second one pretty bad
Old 1/14/06, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Hambone
Hehe...well, I put in an X-pipe...you reference an H-pipe article
LOL! sorry it wasn't clear I took it for granted you have read some of my post as you did post in the same thread, I also like the X pipe and agree with you see links below. The MF's link references the miracerros site which also goes along with an X pipe and against the H pipe which in turns agree with your first post..

I hope I made it clearer for you now.

TJ06
The exhaust LT’ headers along with as of now the (article MM&FF Redheaded Step Child added 13HP to a 199HP 5,0) Magnaflow Tru X-X Xpipe along with free flow mufflers. If you want, a custom made set of SS TUNED (equal lenght tubes) LT headers would also be nice http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42291

TJ06
Rygn if you like the above article you posted then you should take a look at the article M&FF 1/06 Redheaded Step Child. They installed and tested a MagnaFlow Trick Tru XX (double X) catted (with oxygen sensors provisions) no headers on a 96 4.6 V8. Dyno verified 11 HP up from 199Hp to 210HP (<----- more in line with a V6 HP) elsewhere along the dyno gain up to 13HP. TQ gain up to 13. This system to me seems like the one I would be looking at if I was you.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=40558&st=20
Old 1/14/06, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Heheh...I've been been following along... just poking fun.
Old 1/14/06, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Hambone
Heheh...I've been been following along... just poking fun.

Sure you were --------------
Old 1/16/06, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but I wanted to mention a few points on the above post concerning a 1996 4.6. It is not a fair comparison. Even with similar HP, the V-8 will benefit from an x-pipe, a V-6 won't. Also a 1996 had a terrible stock h-pipe, 2.25 inch pipe and six cats. I argue most of the benefit comes from a 2.5 inch pipe and high flow cats.
Old 1/16/06, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but I wanted to mention a few points on the above post concerning a 1996 4.6. It is not a fair comparison. Even with similar HP, the V-8 will benefit from an x-pipe, a V-6 won't. Also a 1996 had a terrible stock h-pipe, 2.25 inch pipe and six cats. I argue most of the benefit comes from a 2.5 inch pipe and high flow cats.
No I totally agree with what your saying 1trickpony, if you read the whole thread http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=40558&st=20 and not just my quote posted here. I said in the same thread you can’t really compare V8 results and expect them on a V6.

Rygn was comparing a pick up of 7hp on a V8 at 247HP with the prochamber. I was just pointing out of that x pipe picking up 13 HP on V8 that was at only 199HP is closing in relation ship to a V6 at 197HP than the V8 247HP only picking up about 7HP. I was just also letting him know about that article in case he wanted to read it as he was is looking for all the HP he can get.

1trickpony read the whole thread and you will see what I mean.
Old 1/16/06, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TJ06@January 16, 2006, 11:01 AM
No I totally agree with what your saying 1trickpony, if you read the whole thread http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=40558&st=20 and not just my quote posted here. I said in the same thread you can’t really compare V8 results and expect them on a V6.

Rygn was comparing a pick up of 7hp on a V8 at 247HP with the prochamber. I was just pointing out of that x pipe picking up 13 HP on V8 that was at only 199HP is closing in relation ship to a V6 at 197HP than the V8 247HP only picking up about 7HP. I was just also letting him know about that article in case he wanted to read it as he was is looking for all the HP he can get.

1trickpony read the whole thread and you will see what I mean.
Interesting posts, question, trickpony says a V6 will not benefit from an X pipe. Can we have some more technical data on this, I am looking to change out my y pipe and I want the most gain possible.

Also, anyone know what the CS6 is running, true duals, X, H or Y pipe? That might give us some insight.
Old 1/16/06, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

terrible stock h-pipe, 2.25 inch pipe and six cats. I argue most of the benefit comes from a 2.5 inch pipe and high flow cats.
Good point ,but what an improvement the car peaked on a dyno at +15HP and +18TQ.

1trick like Rygn said do you have any data to support the X not doing well on the V6 links or articles etc? I would like to read up on it. We are trying to find what kind of setup for a dual exhuast system will work the best on a V6.

1trickpony what would be your suggestion for a dual exhaust for the V6?

Since you seem to know exhaust systems.
Old 1/16/06, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm no expert, I just read a lot of posts and checked some websites. I had high hopes until I started reading. I hate to say it, but run a search on this. The previous dicussion explained this in greater detail. It discussed single and dual systems but touched on crossover pipes as well. There was a good dicussion on this. One of the links above shows/explains the uneven firing order on V-8s. I also recommend the Dr. Gas website, inventory of the x-pipe. Biggest thing I took away was the .5 percent improvement in power on NASCAR engines. I wouldn't expect much more on a stock engine (one percent?). 5.0 magazine tried 3 or 4 x-pipes on the 3V 4.6L and only got 2-3 HP. A aftermarket x-pipe can outflow the factory y-pipe but I wouldn't expect a big improvement. The stock cats on the 4.0 are good and the piping is big enough (2.5 inches). I offer an h or x pipe are musically tuning your exhaust system.
Old 1/16/06, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1trickpony@January 16, 2006, 8:29 PM
//I offer an h or x pipe are musically tuning your exhaust system.
Exactly! Like I said earlier, I added the duals+Xpipe for symmetry and sound If I picked up a few HP, good deal. If not, I accomplished what I hoped to do.
Old 1/16/06, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 1trickpony@January 16, 2006, 5:29 PM
I'm no expert, I just read a lot of posts and checked some websites. I had high hopes until I started reading. I hate to say it, but run a search on this. The previous dicussion explained this in greater detail. It discussed single and dual systems but touched on crossover pipes as well. There was a good dicussion on this. One of the links above shows/explains the uneven firing order on V-8s. I also recommend the Dr. Gas website, inventory of the x-pipe. Biggest thing I took away was the .5 percent improvement in power on NASCAR engines. I wouldn't expect much more on a stock engine (one percent?). 5.0 magazine tried 3 or 4 x-pipes on the 3V 4.6L and only got 2-3 HP. A aftermarket x-pipe can outflow the factory y-pipe but I wouldn't expect a big improvement. The stock cats on the 4.0 are good and the piping is big enough (2.5 inches). I offer an h or x pipe are musically tuning your exhaust system.
The V6 isn't as balanced as those experts make it seem. Down to basics it's a 4 stroke engine with 3 cylinders on each bank. The companion cyclinders are failed to be recognized, and there is always an oddball. The V8 always has a cylinder on each side firing at the same time.
I did a diagram a few months back, and color coded the cylinders that are firing at the same time. It'll help you see how a V6 needs a crossover even moreso than a V8.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=466398
Old 1/16/06, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 17, 2006, 11:06 AM
Exactly! Like I said earlier, I added the duals+Xpipe for symmetry and sound If I picked up a few HP, good deal. If not, I accomplished what I hoped to do.
I'm with you. There's nothing wrong with improving the looks or sound of your ride. If you pick up some power, cool.
Old 1/16/06, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just thought of something for single versus dual, the Trailblazer SS. It has the same LS2 as the GTO. The engine compartment is smaller so they used a single exhaust and a more restrictive intake. The 400/400 HP/TQ V-8 motor lost 9 HP and 5 TQ. I'm guessing the difference is less than half that on a 210 HP 4.0, maybe 4 HP and 2 TQ at the crank? Just food for thought.
Old 1/18/06, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1trickpony@January 17, 2006, 12:08 AM
I just thought of something for single versus dual, the Trailblazer SS. It has the same LS2 as the GTO. The engine compartment is smaller so they used a single exhaust and a more restrictive intake. The 400/400 HP/TQ V-8 motor lost 9 HP and 5 TQ. I'm guessing the difference is less than half that on a 210 HP 4.0, maybe 4 HP and 2 TQ at the crank? Just food for thought.
I am probably putting duals within a month or so. I just got dyno'd, so I will have concrete before and after numbers. I am not touching the headers yet, as I do not know if I am going TC or SC as of yet. So, my set-up will be and X-pipe and JBA Mufflers. My other mods are in my sig, but they as far as increasing HP, just the CAI, JBA Muffler, and a 93 Octane tune.

I am no computer guy, so I will try to get together with Rygen to post the before and after Dyno sheets.
Old 1/18/06, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 18, 2006, 2:11 PM
I am probably putting duals within a month or so. I just got dyno'd, so I will have concrete before and after numbers. I am not touching the headers yet, as I do not know if I am going TC or SC as of yet. So, my set-up will be and X-pipe and JBA Mufflers. My other mods are in my sig, but they as far as increasing HP, just the CAI, JBA Muffler, and a 93 Octane tune.

I am no computer guy, so I will try to get together with Rygen to post the before and after Dyno sheets.
Excepcion13, if you give me the dyno sheets I can scan them and put them up on the web for you to link to.

I will also have before and after dyno sheets for my exhaust. Right now I have a Y pipe dual setup, going to an X pipe. I was sold on the MAC Prochamber, but my shop said not to go to MAC's until I go headers and a SC/TC. They said the MAC Prochamber dosent shine until you put a blower on with some long tubes.

They said for now, stick with a H or X. It's a cheap upgrade anyway. Only gonna cost me 100-150 tops.
Old 2/25/06, 08:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ January 18, 2006, 1:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Excepcion13, if you give me the dyno sheets I can scan them and put them up on the web for you to link to. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I will also have before and after dyno sheets for my exhaust. Right now I have a Y pipe dual setup, going to an X pipe. I was sold on the MAC Prochamber, but my shop said not to go to MAC's until I go headers and a SC/TC. They said the MAC Prochamber dosent shine until you put a blower on with some long tubes.

They said for now, stick with a H or X. It's a cheap upgrade anyway. Only gonna cost me 100-150 tops.
[/b][/quote]

Hey Guy's.......any results yet from the Dyno??? Inquiring minds want to know!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 11:52 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slowjoe24 @ February 25, 2006, 10:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Guy's.......any results yet from the Dyno??? Inquiring minds want to know!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I put up another thread on it, but after taking out the Y pipe and going to an X pipe, my HP gain was 2!

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 uses X-pipe