V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Shelby GT500 uses X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/06, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe putting the X-pipe in our dual systems WAS the right way to go

"More than 40 different muffler tunings were tested, measured and evaluated to come up with the right sound," says William Woebkenberg, an engineer with SVT.

A special device called a "tuned exhaust crossover" was incorporated to create the special sound. Unlike the H-pipe design used by the Mustang GT, the Shelby GT500 uses an X-shape stamping to create the desired sound and increase power output through dynamic scavenging."

http://www.stangnet.com/2005-Mustang/2007-...0-182006-4.html
Old 1/8/06, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

It is going to be so hard to know what to buy in '09. The Challenger looks sweet (425 HP w/o SC), the Camaro is ALMOST perfect (they need to work on the grill), and who knows if a Trans-Am is in the works...

Hmm... Interesting about the X-pipe. Why would they "limit" the Mustang GT, then? Is the H-pipe simply for a more aggressive sound? Plus, is there really that discernible a difference performance wise between an x and an h? My mechanic says maybe 1 or 2 HP max.
Old 1/8/06, 08:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

For a Supercharged 5.4L V8 the X pipe is without question. Our V6 doesn't compare.
I think I will go with the Challenger in the future, unless Ford brings out an amazing reskin.
Old 1/8/06, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@January 8, 2006, 11:52 PM
For a Supercharged 5.4L V8 the X pipe is without question. Our V6 doesn't compare.
I think I will go with the Challenger in the future, unless Ford brings out an amazing reskin.
That is how I feel, Manny. A SC V6 Mustang and a 6.1 Hemi Challenger.. But the performance of the Shelby will be hard to beat for the money...
Old 1/8/06, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I am still confused by all this x vs h pipe talk. I will be installing gt take-off mufflers in a couple of months and going duals. I understand that running true duals isn't the best idea due to back pressure issues but could somebody please chime in as to the reasons why one would choose an h pipe and why one would choose an x pipe. I know this has been discussed a lot here but I am not the most mechanically minded person and would appreciate some more opinions on this. Does the x make it louder than with the h pipe? Which has the best sound? Someone please help a confused guy!!!
Old 1/8/06, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Generally the Hpipe makes a deeper tone, but makes less power, while the Xpipe has a slightly raspier tone, and makes a little more power. If you are going for a nice muscle car sound, go with an h pipe, if you want power go with an X.

P.S. im no exhaust expert, just from what ive seen.
Old 1/8/06, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Generally the Hpipe makes a deeper tone, but makes less power, while the Xpipe has a slightly raspier tone, and makes a little more power. If you are going for a nice muscle car sound, go with an h pipe, if you want power go with an X.
ProChamber me! Gary likes his v6 noisy...
Old 1/8/06, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TorchRedV6@January 9, 2006, 12:16 AM
I understand that running true duals isn't the best idea due to back pressure issues
I am not sure how accurate this statement is. It really depends on who you talk to. I have read a lot on it and am still undecided. Wiser heads than mine can explain the intracacies of it, but basically, backpressure is not good. Nor is having too little.

However, I am about to free up A LOT of backpressure, so we will see. I will have before and after dynos, so we will at least know how MY car's set-up responds to the decrease in backpressure. Your car might respond differently depending on your mods.

There are some very detailed posts on exhaust and the internet is an invaluable tool. Happy hunting!
Old 1/8/06, 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info guys. I do want a deeper muscle car sound so it sounds like the h pipe might be the choice for me. What about the prochamber though? Is that a deeper sound than the h pipe or is it more raspy loud? Thanks y'all for helping a newbie!!!
Old 1/8/06, 10:56 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 8, 2006, 9:39 PM
I am not sure how accurate this statement is. It really depends on who you talk to. I have read a lot on it and am still undecided. Wiser heads than mine can explain the intracacies of it, but basically, backpressure is not good. Nor is having too little.

However, I am about to free up A LOT of backpressure, so we will see. I will have before and after dynos, so we will at least know how MY car's set-up responds to the decrease in backpressure. Your car might respond differently depending on your mods.

There are some very detailed posts on exhaust and the internet is an invaluable tool. Happy hunting!

Remember I am coming from the XPIPE, which was my first choice based on the science.. It sounds really good...

The Pro-Chamber sounds much louder, and deeper than the XPIPE, and makes more power... I still have my XPIPE cross section.. It can be put in in 15 minutes based on my cars current exhaust design.. The Pro-Chamber is the best for us on the 2005 SOHC 4.0... In time, the point of view will be more accepted as fact... You are making a very wise decision Excepcion13...

The Prochamber is extrememly loud at all RPM's.. You are going to have to accept the fact that at any speed while cruising it will be loud... The only way to solve this is by use of a resonator... A muffler will only exagerate this sound.. For me, I love loud and annoying coming from my V6.. Some may feel diffently about the constant sound of piston explosions which interrupt cell phone calls at cruising speeds.. The words HUH and WHAT will be part of your normal speech patterns...
Old 1/8/06, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 9, 2006, 1:59 AM
You are making a very wise decision Excepcion13...

The Prochamber is extrememly loud at all RPM's.. For me, I love loud and annoying coming from my V6..
I think so, too, and I have a good feeling about it. And like you, loud and obnoxious is just fine for me! Ask anyone who knows me!

And I can't wait to pull up at my preppy, conservative law school with that lopey rumble from my 4.0!!

I just want the numbers to back up that sound. I will feel good if I can get between 215-220 RWHP I will be a happy chappy! That's 250-260 at the crank! NA!! I will throw on a UDP and maybe a TBS for every extra little ounce. Should have some numbers around the end of the month. I want to see exactly how far I can take this thing with bolt-ons and naturally aspirated.

And don't worry, if the Prochamber can bring up my HP AND torque (which people have seemed to lose with duals), its superiority will be well established. Unfortunately, I am adding it in tandem with headers, duals, and a 93 Octane tune. But I still think we can glean some truth from the numbers when we get them.
Old 1/8/06, 11:47 PM
MSP
Banned

If anyone is interested in my XPIPE system, it is for sale.. Its basically setup already to be welded straight in after you CATS... Its a good start for any muffler shop which you choose to run a dual exhaust... I'll sell the Pre-Fabbed unit for a good price.. I'll have to check out the shipping cost.. I'll post some pics of it.. Stand By!

Nevermind... Once I thought more about it, I'll just keep it for now... LOL!! Sorry about that... I'm the type of person who likes to keep things I guess..

I'll just leave him in the garage next to all my other car parts and crap..
Old 1/9/06, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

X vs H, I havent seen any definitive data that suggests one is better than the other.

My 02, it all depends on the car. If you remember when Ford first introduced the 05, they boasted that they had spent over 1 million dollars on the sound of the GT exhaust.

Backpressure? Alot of "experts" pretend to know alot about backpressure. Show me the data??????????????????

In about 8 hours I hope to have my GT takeoff exhaust going on. I tried the DIY way yesterday. Didnt happen, I just dont have the right tools and the right place to get it done. I will try a local muff shop next.

Old 1/10/06, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Your powder coated muffs looks NICE! (or are they painted??)
Old 1/12/06, 02:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

There was a good discussion on this awhile back. What I took away, a V-6 does not need or care if it has an x-pipe or h-pipe. The h or x helps V8s with an uneven firing order and will benefit some. The difference between an x or h pipe is small, 1 or 2 HP.
Old 1/12/06, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Really, I did the dual exhaust w/x-pipe for two reasons: Symmetry and Sound! I like the balanced look, and there is no question that the sound is much improved and I like the tone. If I picked up a few HP, way cool! If not, I'm still quite pleased with the result.

Adding the C&L intake changed the sound, as compared to the stock air box or the JMS intake (an open cone filter). It's like there is more sound coming out of the exhaust, instead of the engine compartment (if that makes any sense).
Old 1/12/06, 09:26 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Hambone@January 12, 2006, 6:33 AM
Really, I did the dual exhaust w/x-pipe for two reasons: Symmetry and Sound! I like the balanced look, and there is no question that the sound is much improved and I like the tone. If I picked up a few HP, way cool! If not, I'm still quite pleased with the result.

Adding the C&L intake changed the sound, as compared to the stock air box or the JMS intake (an open cone filter). It's like there is more sound coming out of the exhaust, instead of the engine compartment (if that makes any sense).
Nice choice in going with the Magnaflow XPIPE! Is it possible we get a chance to hear it?
Old 1/12/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah---I posted sound clips on here a long time ago...I'll see if I can find the links...found, are below. But these were with the JMS CAI.

Guess I should re-do the audio with the C&L now...hrm. Maybe one day in the next week or two!
--------------

Finally got the video/sound of the dual GT take off mufflers + Magnaflow X-pipe:

http://www.savefile.com/files/4544897 V6 with DUAL GT takeoffs + X-pipe

Here are 3 more video clips from the "evolution" []:

http://www.savefile.com/files/8917556 stock V6 muffler

http://www.savefile.com/files/9606842 V6 with NO muffler

http://www.savefile.com/files/5376913 V6 with single GT takeoff muffer
Old 1/12/06, 10:07 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Hambone@January 12, 2006, 8:49 AM
Oh yeah---I posted sound clips on here a long time ago...I'll see if I can find the links...found, are below. But these were with the JMS CAI.

Guess I should re-do the audio with the C&L now...hrm. Maybe one day in the next week or two!
--------------

Finally got the video/sound of the dual GT take off mufflers + Magnaflow X-pipe:

Good job Hambone, it sounds good!! Gotta love the XPIPE!..
Old 1/12/06, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hambone@January 12, 2006, 11:49 AM

--------------

Nice work. I bet you are pleased! Sounds good.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 uses X-pipe