V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

SCT or Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/06, 06:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to get a little more insight on the performance gain differences between the two tuners. The reason I ask is cause the shop that I have planed to do my stang only sell's the Diablo sport tuners. I don't have an auto so I don't have to worry about messing with the sift points but I heard Some one on another forum that actually has dyno'd the 2005 V6's say's that the SCT will provide a better tune in the long run cause you can moniter the A/F ratio better on the SCT than on the Diablo. I'm not getting my gears & tlok for a few weeks yet but I want to know if I should order a SCT or just buy the Diablo from the shop? All opinions will help.

What If I did have a Auto, I would really haft to use the SCT ( Diablo's can't change shift points right? they dont have that option) thats why it don't make any sence to me on why they don't sell the SCT. Are they tuning the 05 Auto's around my town with the Diablo and not changing peoples shift points? lol I would think that would be the number one reason why a person would get there car tuned if they had an automatic. lol especially if its a all mustang performance shop thats been around for 10 years
Old 1/22/06, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ricklmesa@***.net@January 22, 2006, 8:53 AM
I just wanted to get a little more insight on the performance gain differences between the two tuners. The reason I ask is cause the shop that I have planed to do my stang only sell's the Diablo sport tuners. I don't have an auto so I don't have to worry about messing with the sift points but I heard Some one on another forum that actually has dyno'd the 2005 V6's say's that the SCT will provide a better tune in the long run cause you can moniter the A/F ratio better on the SCT than on the Diablo. I'm not getting my gears & tlok for a few weeks yet but I want to know if I should order a SCT or just buy the Diablo from the shop? All opinions will help.

What If I did have a Auto, I would really haft to use the SCT ( Diablo's can't change shift points right? they dont have that option) thats why it don't make any sence to me on why they don't sell the SCT. Are they tuning the 05 Auto's around my town with the Diablo and not changing peoples shift points? lol I would think that would be the number one reason why a person would get there car tuned if they had an automatic. lol especially if its a all mustang performance shop thats been around for 10 years
Well, you got the Auto vs. Manual issue covered so I don't have to tell you about that (I used to have a Diablo). So now its about the ability to get tunes. You can get a really good tune from Brenspeed, Lidio (Alt Auto), John (TI) and of course, Doug (bamachips) and with a good CAI and muff, get to 205-208 RWHP.

But, if you plan to do business with this shop you found, trust them and will have them do all your work. Then go with what they have. In this case the diablo.

That was the case with me as well, the best Mustang shop (Excessive) in my area did only SCT.

Hope this helps.
Old 1/22/06, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Get and XcalII from Doug and Bamachips. He has a "magic" auto tune that's suppossed to be awesome!
Old 1/22/06, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't SCT the ONLY licensed one for the 05/06??
Old 1/22/06, 12:52 PM
GT Member

I'll just haft to talk to them more about it. Does the Diablo offer as much features as the SCT besides the shift points?
Old 1/22/06, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ricklmesa@***.net@January 22, 2006, 2:55 PM
I'll just haft to talk to them more about it. Does the Diablo offer as much features as the SCT besides the shift points?
Rygen can speak more on this and will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it seem like the Diablo did not pull out all the Torque Management stuff? He had one of the goofiest looking Torque Curves I've even seen with that Diablo!
Old 1/22/06, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by scrming@January 22, 2006, 3:12 PM
Rygen can speak more on this and will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it seem like the Diablo did not pull out all the Torque Management stuff? He had one of the goofiest looking Torque Curves I've even seen with that Diablo!

Yep, this was with the canned "performance" tune. Here is the thread with my dyno sheet:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...hl=long+overdue

But I don't know what a professional diablo tuner can do.
Old 1/22/06, 04:12 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 22, 2006, 1:57 PM
Yep, this was with the canned "performance" tune. Here is the thread with my dyno sheet:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...hl=long+overdue

But I don't know what a professional diablo tuner can do.

Do you still have your diablo? Or did you sell out for the SCT?

Looks like I'll be a Diablo Man... I really had hoped we could be brothers of the FRPP and the Diablo.. It could have been you and I against the world! A world filled with SCT Zealots! LOL!! I love to go against the grain, so the Diablo makes perfect since for me.. Fits right into my agenda! As most know my agenda consist of------>

1. V6 over V8

2. FRPP Trac-LOC vs. True-Trac

3. 7.5 vs. 8.8

4. Diablo vs SCT

5. Supercharger vs. Turbo---Although Mike @ Powerhouse is my buddy!

6. Prochamber vs. XPIPE

7. 3.73 vs 4.10's

8. 5spd vs Automatic

9. Aftercooler vs. Intercooler

10. Win vs. Lose

11. Vortech vs. Procharger

LOL!! As you can see, I have takin my agenda personal, and dont expect to take a backseat to anyone!! Have a nice day guys, and keep up the good work!
Old 1/22/06, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by MSP@January 22, 2006, 6:15 PM
Do you still have your diablo? Or did you sell out for the SCT?

Looks like I'll be a Diablo Man... I really had hoped we could be brothers of the FRPP and the Diablo.. It could have been you and I against the world! A world filled with SCT Zealots! LOL!! I love to go against the grain, so the Diablo makes perfect since for me.. Fits right into my agenda! As most know my agenda consist of------>

1. V6 over V8

2. FRPP Trac-LOC vs. True-Trac

3. 7.5 vs. 8.8

4. Diablo vs SCT

5. Supercharger vs. Turbo---Although Mike @ Powerhouse is my buddy!

6. Prochamber vs. XPIPE

7. 3.73 vs 4.10's

8. 5spd vs Automatic

9. Aftercooler vs. Intercooler

10. Win vs. Lose

11. Vortech vs. Procharger

LOL!! As you can see, I have takin my agenda personal, and dont expect to take a backseat to anyone!! Have a nice day guys, and keep up the good work!

LOL. Good ol MSP. Gotta be you man. Well, being an automatic, and not getting response from Diablo on firming up my shifts, I had to go SCT. They left me with no choice, and I had to go with the masses. That and I couldn't find a local tuner for my Diablo.

But you can count on me for the TLOK. Now, for some interesting news for me...

Well, most here know I have the 4.10s, and love them. But it appears I am at a fork in the road. Heres the situation, the first shop I went to mis-installed my gears. Really really bad gear whine. So I went to excessive and they fixed them, and they did, and removed most of the gear whine. Unfortunately, there is still bad gear whine at 70mph, on top of my muff drone LOL. So somethings got to go, and it aint gonna be my beautiful magnaflows. LOL.

So, after working some IT side jobs, I have enough money to replace my 4.10 gears with new ones and have them installed properly...or.......should I? Scrming is breaking loose at the track with his, and I am running 100HP shot of Zex as well..... I'm thinking I dare to be different, what would 3.73's show with the Zex at the track and the dyno...hmmmm???????

Now, for my ultimate plan, and I've been sticking to this plan since Powerhouse Mike's last post, Turbo/Zex combo. Yes, this is where I am going. I know I may have to change out my pistons, but what the heck...

...Bring it.

Plus my X pipe is ordered. And don't worry, a ProChamber is in my future, but not in the short term because Excessive said I couldn't take advantage of it till I put my turbo on.

That is where you are lucky MSP, you can really show us what the prochamber is capable of, because it was designed for a TC/SC setup.

Can't wait to see your numbers.
Old 1/22/06, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

1. FRPP Trac-LOC vs. True-Trac

2. Diablo vs SCT

3. Supercharger vs. Turbo

Them's fightin' words! :jedi:

Wait, it's going to be over a year before the TC goes on. But when it does, I am down for a race!

I'll put my SCT powered, TT'd, TC'd pony against yours!

Of course, by then, you might be sportin' new heads, cams, pistons....

Hmm.... Maybe I will put them all on at once..... :scratch:

I don't know, that's a lot of scratch to have the fastest 6 on the block.

Are you even paying for your Vortech, you lucky dawg, you?
Old 1/22/06, 10:51 PM
Cobra Member

Since you live in the east valley of Metro Phoenix I'd say go for the SCT. My logic for this is if you continue the "mod bug" and decide to get the car dyno tuned you can get custom SCT tunes from well respected local dyno shops like Arizona Dyno chip in Chandler.
Old 1/23/06, 01:03 AM
GT Member

Diablo makes their changes using the base fuel table , which commands the Air fuel mixture at which u want the car to operate for a given load and rpm. SCT changes the maf transfer function , which dictates the amount of fuel injected into the air charge at certian cfm's. By doing so SCT tunes can adapt to changes in climate and conditions much better that a Diablo tune, among other things. On DIablo tunes horsepower will drop dramatically after a couple of dyno runs while the SCT tunes hold up much better. This are some of the advanteges of SCT over diablo , aside from the ones mentioned above.Good luck on your selection.
Old 1/23/06, 04:16 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 22, 2006, 7:56 PM
1. FRPP Trac-LOC vs. True-Trac

2. Diablo vs SCT

3. Supercharger vs. Turbo

Them's fightin' words! :jedi:

Wait, it's going to be over a year before the TC goes on. But when it does, I am down for a race!

I'll put my SCT powered, TT'd, TC'd pony against yours!

Of course, by then, you might be sportin' new heads, cams, pistons....

Hmm.... Maybe I will put them all on at once..... :scratch:

I don't know, that's a lot of scratch to have the fastest 6 on the block.

Are you even paying for your Vortech, you lucky dawg, you?
LOL!! I have alot to be thankful for Excepcion13...

But with that said, I'll make sure I save a beatdown for ya once you get your Turbo put on.. LOL!!

@Puerto Rico 4.6

Lots of very valuable information inside your post.. Great Job... I'll take my initial chances on the Diablo... However, whats most important is functionality.. If your information comes to pass in a way which effect my cars ability to perform, then changes will be made without hesitation.. Thanks for your input!
Old 1/23/06, 06:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

SCT all the way! My recommendation, Doug @ BamaChips!!
Old 1/23/06, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Glad that helps! Good Luck
Old 10/26/06, 09:05 PM

One more diablo question...a newbie one at that.......I'm thinking of springing for a diablo for my 5 speed V6 and see that they have tunes for regular and premium gas. If you tune for premium gas and then go back to factory tune to regular gas, can the engine get damaged? bit basic i know, but you gotta start somewhere!

<black on tan 2006, all extras and iup, pony foglight grille, gt polished bullits, magnaflow single axleback, body color mirrors, 8"short antenna>
Old 10/26/06, 09:15 PM

Just retune for the gas you are buying. I regularly change the tune to match the gas, or when I go to the dealership I drop in the stock tune. Got some strange looks at the pump a couple of times when I plugged the tuner in though.
Old 10/27/06, 02:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Go with the SCT2 for sure many great tuners out there and you don't really get that with the Diablo...IMO

And it seems as if there is a storm brewing in here MSP and RYGEN.....I'll put my money on the king RYGEN provided he gets his piston workin!
Old 10/30/06, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

SCT all the way guys!

Recommend: Doug @ BamaChips

Diablo is GARBAGE, terrible customer service, well known problems with people getting check engine lights and going into fail safe mode. Constant updates to the tuner's software and very few certified tuners in all areas.
Old 10/30/06, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

i have no personal experience with the diablo on my 05, works great on my 03 though

i still would recomment the sct2 for the 05+ mustangs. mines never had as much as a hickup.