V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

S197 V6 "Disco Potatos" Twin Turbo Project!

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/07, 04:44 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isoccer730
Are you thinking at all about marketing your design to sell to the rest of us?

Hello!! I will discuss this later.. Sorry if I didnt respond right away... Been busy.. LOL!!

Let me continue, and later I can contemplate my options as to your question...
Old 5/3/07, 05:10 AM
MSP
Banned

Cold Pipe complete!

Hey guys! Cold pipe is done..

Drove the car to get gas.. I didnt get on it though.. Still have several things to do... But she ran good, and maintained all fluids.. LOL!!

Here is a pic of the cold pipe.. There is only a really small area which needs to be notched to get a 3in pipe in on the drivers side.. Not a big deal..

I think my blow-off valves are leaking boost also.. I set them to the lowest spring rate for starters... However, I am pretty sure they are bleeding boost pressure before its built up...

Now that the system is together and working, I can start to make adjustments here and there..

I love the way the turbo's sound though.. They really spool rather loud..
Old 5/3/07, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

****, Mike.... it's all coming together. Good way to stick to your guns. Who's gonna do your tuning?
Old 5/3/07, 03:54 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by flapjack
****, Mike.... it's all coming together. Good way to stick to your guns. Who's gonna do your tuning?
Whats up Flapjack!! I'll have to find a good Diablo tuner between here and San Francisco... If not, I may have to go SCT....

My blow-off valves were leaking boost.. I tightned them up alittle and it seems to be better.. I think I need to tighten them just alittle more and it will be perfect..

I have been up to 5-6psi however... The turbo's wooosh is pretty loud when you get off the accelerator.. LOL!!

I am so glad I went with the 6psi wastegates... They make testing a much more easier task in terms of saftey...

Those turbo's sure do get hot... I need to pickup some turbine heatshields or turbin blankets.. They are not harming anything however.. They have plenty of space around them...

I am pretty happy about everything thus far.. It seems everything is working great.. I jumped on the freeway, and this BMW was blocking me.. I wanted to get a 4th gear pull in, so I can see exactly where the boost is stopping.. I know its not going over 6psi though..

I'll keep you posted... Just letting everyone know things are going well..

I do need a good tune though.. So dont expect any numbers for awhile... But there coming dont worry.. LOL!!
Old 5/3/07, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

You're killing me without a video....

Originally Posted by MSP
Whats up Flapjack!! I'll have to find a good Diablo tuner between here and San Francisco... If not, I may have to go SCT....

My blow-off valves were leaking boost.. I tightned them up alittle and it seems to be better.. I think I need to tighten them just alittle more and it will be perfect..

I have been up to 5-6psi however... The turbo's wooosh is pretty loud when you get off the accelerator.. LOL!!

I am so glad I went with the 6psi wastegates... They make testing a much more easier task in terms of saftey...

Those turbo's sure do get hot... I need to pickup some turbine heatshields or turbin blankets.. They are not harming anything however.. They have plenty of space around them...

I am pretty happy about everything thus far.. It seems everything is working great.. I jumped on the freeway, and this BMW was blocking me.. I wanted to get a 4th gear pull in, so I can see exactly where the boost is stopping.. I know its not going over 6psi though..

I'll keep you posted... Just letting everyone know things are going well..

I do need a good tune though.. So dont expect any numbers for awhile... But there coming dont worry.. LOL!!
Old 5/5/07, 12:20 PM
MSP
Banned

You're killing me without a video....

I am still working on it Flapjack!! You want to know whats badazz? I took the car over a section of freeway which has a pretty steep hill.. Most cars must downshift to pull over it and maintain a good cruising speed..

Well I set the cruise control for 60mph and placed the car in 5th.. I rolled up the windows..

I listened as the car maintained a perfect 60mph and the turbo's spooled just enough to allow the car to maintain its requested speed...

I must say, the sound of the turbo spooling ever so slightly is so amazing.. Aside from racing, the turbo's really do allow the car to perform at its best.. Keep in mind I am currently running the bone stock V6 mustang tune.. However, 6psi sounds wicked in terms of turbo spooling..

Man its so awsome.. When I make a lane change, and make a pass someone on the freeway, they can hear the turbo's spool up as I pass by... LOL!!

I still in the testing phase.. I'll remain in this situation for about another 2-3 weeks.. Dialing everything in on the mechanical side of things.. I wont worry about tuning until later... I love it so far...
Old 5/5/07, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

You are running the turbos w/o any kind of fuel map?? I would imagine the Vortech tune would work better than the stock tune. You've got me worried now....

Originally Posted by MSP
I am still working on it Flapjack!! You want to know whats badazz? I took the car over a section of freeway which has a pretty steep hill.. Most cars must downshift to pull over it and maintain a good cruising speed..

Well I set the cruise control for 60mph and placed the car in 5th.. I rolled up the windows..

I listened as the car maintained a perfect 60mph and the turbo's spooled just enough to allow the car to maintain its requested speed...

I must say, the sound of the turbo spooling ever so slightly is so amazing.. Aside from racing, the turbo's really do allow the car to perform at its best.. Keep in mind I am currently running the bone stock V6 mustang tune.. However, 6psi sounds wicked in terms of turbo spooling..

Man its so awsome.. When I make a lane change, and make a pass someone on the freeway, they can hear the turbo's spool up as I pass by... LOL!!

I still in the testing phase.. I'll remain in this situation for about another 2-3 weeks.. Dialing everything in on the mechanical side of things.. I wont worry about tuning until later... I love it so far...
Old 5/5/07, 04:41 PM
MSP
Banned

You are running the turbos w/o any kind of fuel map?? I would imagine the Vortech tune would work better than the stock tune. You've got me worried now....
LOL! Dont worry about me...

The Vortech tune wouldnt work because the tune was setup so that the MAF was drawing air through a 4in pipe.. The car ran too rich with the Vortech tune and couldnt idle..

Atleast now the MAF can maintain 14.7 A/F.. At WOT it goes to the A/F commanded in the tune...

I'll get a tune later.. I still have more work to do with the system.. Atleast I can break in the turbo's for awhile...
Old 5/5/07, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

What is the commanded A/F for the stock Ford tune??

Originally Posted by MSP
LOL! Dont worry about me...

The Vortech tune wouldnt work because the tune was setup so that the MAF was drawing air through a 4in pipe.. The car ran too rich with the Vortech tune and couldnt idle..

Atleast now the MAF can maintain 14.7 A/F.. At WOT it goes to the A/F commanded in the tune...

I'll get a tune later.. I still have more work to do with the system.. Atleast I can break in the turbo's for awhile...
Old 5/6/07, 02:39 PM
MSP
Banned

What is the commanded A/F for the stock Ford tune??
Whats up Flapjack! Actually, she's running rich.. She's dropping down to about 10.8-9 A/F...

I can get the twins to take off at about 2800RPM.. They start to scream before 3000RPM if I go WOT... I can get the wastegates to open to the spring rate which is 6psi before 3000RPM.. Which is good...

I have the car running good enough for daily use until I can get her tuned...

I had a problem running both BOV's because they were both pulling in air during vacuum off throttle situations.. With them both, the A/F would drop to 9.8 A/F... With one, it drops down to only 11.2-10.9...

Also with the car cold, with them both the car ran too rich and commanded a check engine light.. The code was banks 1 and 2 to rich...

So I will only run one BOV for now...

So yeah looks like this combo should be real good with a good tune.. Like I said, I can get them to start making boost before 3000rpm... I can build 6psi of boost before 3000RPM if I choose as well...

I'll keep you posted...
Old 5/7/07, 09:53 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You sir, are astonishing
Old 5/7/07, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Still waiting for the video. Gotta see the "disco potatoes" in action!
Old 5/7/07, 11:03 PM
FR500 Member

Wanna hear it too.
Old 5/8/07, 05:49 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Wanna hear it too.

I'll try and make a ride along video which lets you hear the turbo's spoolin up...

Flapjack is at the end of his rope and needs his fix! LOL!

I'm not sure how great the quality will be.. I'll try it with windows up and windows down... Give me 24hrs!
Old 5/8/07, 05:51 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by future9er24
You sir, are astonishing
Ahh Geee!! Shucks I just wanna have some fun!

Let me tell you once you have been bitten by the twin-turbo spool monster nothing less will do.. Nothing!
Old 5/16/07, 01:49 PM
MSP
Banned

Expect a Dyno real soon @ 6psi!
Old 5/17/07, 01:37 AM
FR500 Member

Woo-hoo!!! Psshhhh!
Old 5/17/07, 02:38 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Woo-hoo!!! Psshhhh!
Got the tune dialed in real good.. @6psi we're looking at 12.3 A/F woth about +16 degrees of timing... I could put alot more timing, but she pulls hard in all gears @ +14-16.. So I will leave it here...

I'm really impressed with how 5-6psi feels right now in 1st,2nd, and 3rd gears...

Its somewhere north of 300RWHP I am sure... I have to get used to the TQ push though... When it hits the car pulls really hard instantly and gets progressively harder as the RPM's increase... I am use to the Vortech..

I'll get used to it...

I love the sound of the blow off valve though... Guys in Honda's can't believe they heard that sound coming from a Stang.. LOL!!

I got a compliment from a guy driving a 360 Modena.. He heard the blow-off valve pop-off and through me a thumbs up.. LOL!!
Old 5/17/07, 10:50 PM
FR500 Member

Ha ha ha, Ferrari - the "other stallion".
Old 5/18/07, 12:46 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We want video!

Quick Reply: S197 V6 "Disco Potatos" Twin Turbo Project!